• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

MrDaravon

Holy fucking shit I cannot believe it looks like this is happening.

Anyway, regardless of it being bullshit in general etc, I cannot believe his tweet about "why would I want to live there?". I actually live near Blacksburg too, and it's perfectly fine!

So how long before companies add a twitter clause to their employment contracts that mandates you go through PR training if you want to use your real info on the service?

Bgamer90

Banned
Not believing anything until MS comes out and officially says it.

I really hope that they aren't stupid enough to actually make the console online only. That would eat into the sales of the console.

Now will there be many games next gen that will require a constant online connection? More than likely. But I just can't see the system as a whole requiring it just for the system to function. It would be stupid.

And yeah, those tweets are stupid.

Compare the number of people with constant reliable electricity with the number of people that have constant reliable broadband internet connections.

BIG difference.

Well, the PS4 controller is improved.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but this means Xbox Live will at least be free most likely. They can't force people online and then not let them do anything. I'm sure there will be different tiers of course.

smh.gif

GulAtiCa

"Sometimes Xbox Service is offline. I will not buy a Next Xbox".
Am I doing it right, Mr Xbox guy?

Another issue is not just my ISP, but the Microsoft service.

I swear people make mountains out of mole hills too often on this forum.

Most of you probably use MULTIPLE other services that require a connection and dont even notice it. This is a non-issue that is getting fanned by pirates, morons and anti-MS trolls.

Other than the reasonable (but edge case) "the network is down".... WHAT else is a concern?

Edge case? You have a pathetic understanding of the situation worldwide

Just because it hasn't happened in the past doesn't mean that something can't mess up in the future.

I agree, you are right. However, none of us can predict the future, so we also can't say that it certainly will happen either. But considering their history thus far, the odds are in favor of those that think Microsoft won't completely flub this if their console truly is always online.

JCreasy

Always on wasn't even a primary concern to me, but if this is how Microsoft wants to treat its customers, then so be it. I'm out. Personal insults are just about as low as it gets.

Daaammn

I wonder if this dude even realizes what he's done.

Dat narrative. He may be Microsoft's Todd Aiken. LOL.

MICROSOFT'S WAR ON CONSUMERS BEGINS!

Reiko

Banned
Holy fucking shit I cannot believe it looks like this is happening.

Anyway, regardless of it being bullshit in general etc, I cannot believe his tweet about "why would I want to live there?". I actually live near Blacksburg too, and it's perfectly fine!

That tweet is the single most arrogant quote I've heard from any Microsoft rep. You could lose your job for talking down on potential customers.

Either he completely lost his mind, having a meltdown... Or the Internet is getting trolled.

As an Xbox user who's Xbox is online every time the thing is switched on, this doesn't bother me. And I'm with the "The average person won't care" train of thought, because honestly, I don't think they will.

Vasili2K38

This is a non-issue that is getting fanned by pirates, morons and anti-MS trolls.

Other than the reasonable (but edge case) "the network is down".... WHAT else is a concern?

Mmm that's a bit extreme don't ya think? Or you also think that living outside of urban zones is for losers? ;b

Mindlog

Tight lipped ship until now? Either viral or that is one extraordinarily dumb motherfucker. Not something I say lightly.
Maybe they should have waited for cloud gaming to try this always connected thing.

speaking of Cloud Gaming didn't Gaf have a short love affair with Onlive before it fell through?
I've been bearish on Cloud lately.
Bullish on Fog.

Smaller devices that easily connect to local displays and near-local computing. No reason to have huge server farms when smaller local servers can get 90% of the work done with greater efficiency. see: Distributed Power Generation.

For another thread.

For the people that claim they don't care about xbox, think Microsoft sucks, and it has no meaningful exclusives, why are you in EVERY thread about the next xbox?

Whilst the online only is terrible and the guy on twitter is a cocky shitbag, the point you make is what I've been thinking for a while browsing here.

If the Microshat defense force is being called out, the other kids going on in every thread for months wanting it to fail in favour of their beloved corp should be too. What makes me laugh is they deny it when it's there for all to see

jaypah

Well yeah. Console wars are usually based on having some kind of advantage. If everyone was on par, no one would care.

That's how I view the later of this gen once games went multiplat and looked identical.

That's fine that you view it like that but identical multiplats didn't put a dent in the console wars. It'll never stop because there will always be people on all sides of the fence fighting for "their team" no matter what. And that's not even touching exclusives, which by default all consoles have and it's damn near impossible to say whose is better because it'll always fall on opinion and brand loyalty. So yeah, the console war will die when consoles die and not a minute before that.

Well, the PS4 controller is improved.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but this means Xbox Live will at least be free most likely. They can't force people online and then not let them do anything. I'm sure there will be different tiers of course.

A blowjob from the system is more likely. If anything, they're raising the price for their 'premium service'.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
This guy is entry level (1 year experience)?

He's so fired.

Thoraxes

I can't wait for people to get pissed at the new system.

Or for MS to include a no-sue clause you have to agree to when you first purchase and turn on the system.

It's gonna be beautiful.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I never thought I'd say this but after reading the Tweets and how this "creative director" dealt with the public - his attitude towards fans and consumers - I might just forget about the 720. I still want to support 343i and the Halo franchise because I love that, but if this is how they deal with their followers, they can seriously go screw themselves.

Yeah, these Tweets really pinched a nerve, I admit.

Doffen

For those interested: there are no new tweets and his old tweets are not deleted.
As I said before, looks more like he's protecting himself, not Microsoft cleaning up.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, lemme guess - always online is a-okay with you, right?

If the PS4 was always online GAF would be defending the fuck out of it. How about we actually wait until we know a little more about the console before shitting on it?

Top Bottom