• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Try being deployed on a ship for months with no internet, you asshole. Halo LAN onboard brought a lot of good times and positive morale to my old unit.
This should be a big arguing point. We can even twist it into something like "Microsoft doesn't support our troops." But seriously always only is ridiculously anti-consumer.

Blueblur1

What worries me about this whole thing, is that it's likely Microsoft is positioning Durango as a 'do-it-all' device for the living room — a console that serves up gaming, movies, TV, internet... everything.

If Xbox LIVE goes down, or your ISP has problems, or your router goes out, it's not just your Xbox that goes down...

Your entire living room goes down.

Excellent point.

Doffen

VqoBBg0.png

Again, please don't fire me.

Quote for new page.

Sponge

Banned
"Why on earth would I live there?"

You heard him, everyone should live in the city. People who live in rural or suburban areas don't exist.

I'm done.

Yes, good news. Now just waiting until they announce that they are blocking used games and that would make my day. (I am being serious right now). Can't wait until microsoft gets whats coming at them for this.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Are we arguing that the 720 won't sell, or that requiring always on is despicable anti-consumer behavior?
He thinks that since MS only supported broadband on the original Xbox and not dial up that they know what is best for consumers. So always online will be the next coming of MSChrist.

Sponge

Banned
At least we have Xbox 360, right?

Microsoft had a good run.

As a dissatisfied 360 owner, I would have to disagree with this. Too many broken promises from Rare and being the only console that still makes you pay for the online is too troublesome for me to handle.

Mifune

Mehmber
Jaffe chimes in...

davidscottjaffe ‏
.@adam_orth Neogaf be nice to Orth, dang it! He's one of the best in tha biz!!!

Smash88

Banned
Alright all the people saying: "SEE IT WAS JUST A JOKE"

He isn't addressing the main point of those tweets which was always online. He is just apologizing about the cities comment.

As far as I'm concerned always online for Xbox is confirmed until proven otherwise.

sunnz

God I hope its not true.

I prefer SONY and will no doubt get the ps4, but still want the nextbox to be a success, we NEED competition or else we, the consumers, get fucked.

MS have a long way to go to persuade me ( out side of Alan wake, nothing they have can interest me, plus I will probably get like 2 or 3 ps4 games already, so hoping for new IPS at E3, I just want good games I am interested in and who ever delivers that gets my money...)

Replicant

VqoBBg0.png

Do we still need to move to US to play 720 uninterrupted though?

LOL. Is he pretending the majority of what he tweeted didn't happen?

"I'll just focus on this one part here and hope the forget about the rest..."

Pretty much. "Maybe if I apologize for that city comment they'll forget about the rest.....then TROJAN HORSE baby!!!"

And viral it goes:

Love this age of social-media and virals.

i-Lo

This thread started when I went to work on an image. I just finished it's already 30 pages. Wow!

So what's the summary? Are we being trolled? How are the chances of always connected looking?

louiedog

Let me just say, the biggest problem with always online is not your connection. It's the servers you will be connecting to. You might live with 100GB internet but if MS's servers go down your fucked.

Exactly. Remember the Christmas when Live was down for a solid week? Imagine if no one could play their single player games either. What if a group with a botnet decides they aren't happy that X game was canceled and decides to attack. I'm still very much in doubt that this console is going to be online only, but let's say it is. They're going to need a contingency plan a hell of a lot better than giving away Undertow 2.

daveo42

Banned
VqoBBg0.png

He went pretty far to try and troll someone. I'm sure he's heard of direct messaging in Twitter right? Wouldn't all this have been better there?

How in the world can he even try to justify this by just saying "it's a joke" now?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Jaffe chimes in...

davidscottjaffe ‏

Isn't Jaffe originally from middle of nowhere Alabama? I wonder if he can get reliable fiber internet there.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Jaffe chimes in...

davidscottjaffe ‏

Now we just need Gies support and Kotaku will be golde--oh, they found it already.

And boom goes the dynamite.

Big-E

It is amazing how so many people don't understand what facebook posts and tweets actually mean. If you are posting stuff on a private account and have your account open for all to see than what you post will be taken at face value. Teachers have lost jobs for posting completely legal photos of them having fun but get canned because it is seen as not appropriate for a teacher. The fact that someone high up at microsoft doesn't understand this or trying to pretend he doesn't is fucking stupid.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Manveer has tweeted this from Orths protected account

Damage control.

"I want every device to be always on."

"Those people should definitely get with the times and get the internet. It's awesome."

"Sorry for expressing my personal opinion about what I want from the electronic devices..."

None of this was part of their back and forth. And even within their conversation he said he didn't get the drama around always online, Manveer responding with "SimCity/Diablo III?"

Yeah, sounds like it was all a joke.

FStop7

Banned
wait what?

See a few pages back, he said something about "fuck Halo" during an interview with Jaffe in 2007. It probably was just a joke, I doubt anyone at MS would even care. But you know how it goes on the Internet - once you say it it's out there forever.

Top Bottom