• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

tonyketchupcwkoi.gif

Nearly pissing myself here, so good the gif choice :)

bigol

@NNajda I think you probably meant to say "some games do not require online". Saying that games do not require online isn't accurate at all.

‏
@aegies
if you don't work at maxis and insist simcity could be updated to be offline, you literally don't know what you're talking about.

these two tweets are terribly similar

Haunted

As much as I hate Twitter and what it does to communication, seeing people expose themselves on it constantly is kinda fun.

xandaca

PLEASE tell me the mass market won't stand for this. I know the informed gamer won't, but I can't imagine what kind of message this would send if Durango does well regardless (unless of course there's stuff that makes up for it).

Of course they will. Microsoft have rarely shown anything but contempt for their consumers and people loved them for it. An always online Durango will sell fine and no matter what consumer unfriendly features are added to it, I'd wager a healthy number of the people protesting here will buy one at the first inducement, no matter what precedent it sets. After all, people were quick to rationalise away DLC, microtransactions, DRM 'services' like Steam and Origin, and while there might be a bit of moaning in the month following Durango's launch, it won't have the slightest impact on sales and soon enough, everyone who happily paid for XBOX Live for seven years will be right there offering Microsoft their money once again. History shows that gamers, no matter what their allegiance (Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony), have never shown themselves capable of taking a stand and holding to it, and there's no reason to assume it will be any different this time around.

Codeblue

F-?! Speedtest had an F-? I seriously hope that's not your connection, honestly...):

If it is, how much do you pay?

$35. This only happens like twice a week, but it's the reason I won't buy always online anything until I an ISP moves into the area that isn't an unreliable pile of crap.

Dibbz

Let me just say, the biggest problem with always online is not your connection. It's the servers you will be connecting to. You might live with 100GB internet but if MS's servers go down your fucked.

Gorillaz

It's trolling mixed with truth. He probably did confirm some of that stuff

Like what people said he shouldn't even be mentioning the fact a "next box" exist right now.

TriGen

When I clicked on this thread I didn't expect that, damn.

You have to think about the world, not just yourself. I don't think a system should be always-online right now, but it would likely be okay for someone like me -- but what about places that have internet caps? Not everyone lives in an ideal area or makes quite enough money. Just deal with it, yeah right.

I won't be convinced that this is true until Microsoft says it, but if they do, the amount of customers they would lose for the next Xbox would likely be in the millions. When you look at worldwide sales, there has to be a decent percentage that bought a 360 that can't make always-online work. And I'm not talking about people that don't want it or will protest with their wallets, I'm just talking about people that literally couldn't use an always-online console.

I still plan on getting a next-gen Xbox because personally always-online wouldn't affect me very much (I'll have a Wii U and PS4), but for people that are concerned about always-online or just don't have proper living conditions for one -- I won't blame them for passing.

RMI

Banned
Whether or not he was joking about the small town thing is irrelevant.

His poor taste in jokes has nothing to do with his biased opinion about always online.

yeah, joking or not, i live in a small town and my internet sucks. I won't be buying the next xbox no matter what, but you better believe that if Sony were pulling this shit with the PS4 I would not buy that either. There is no justification for an always online requirement. That's basically as anti-consumer as you can get. Congratulations Microsoft, you succeeded in sending the message that you hate your fucking customers.

ScrubJay

How do people get this high up in the pecking order and not know anything about PR or tact? This is some Brad Wardell levels of having your foot in your mouth.

iMax

Yeah but it's really beside the point here. Take the city/country joking out of the equation and we still have the offensive analogies and #dealwithit people are incensed by.

If he's going to publicly advertise on his Twitter bio that he's a Microsoft employee, I'd say it's his duty to behave appropriately.

Oh man, I can't even imagine what this would be like if I still lived on campus or in the school apartments.

Come this fall (or early 2014), there are going to be A LOT of angry frat guys.

A fucking nightmare. Nights spent playing FIFA, Halo and other misc sports games with a group of buddies and no Internet, RIP.

Apath

Suspect his own safety before the meltdown.
Hes been grumpy with all posters for a while now though.

Well the Microsoft hate train has been running for quite a while now. Microsoft seems dead set on throwing more fuel into the fire to keep the train running though. Must be hard for the dedicated Microsoft fanboys ;_;

Man, fuck getting a second job to buy a PS3.

You will have to fucking move to get a 720.

10/10

Seriously though, this is dumb as hell. I can't see any feature or perk of the console being always online trumping how screwed you are if your internet decides to act a fool (as mine is doing right now and I'm posting by using my phone as a modem). :/

Once the PS4 announces the same thing, GAF will go down in flames.

One Wii-U future.

If Sony was dumb enough to do the same then hell yes, I'll stick with the ol' PC and Wuu.

But since I'm pretty sure Kaz said they wouldn't be doing this...yeah.

Vire

Let me just say, the biggest problem with always online is not your connection. It's the servers you will be connecting to. You might live with 100GB internet but if MS's servers go down your fucked.

Could you imagine a game like Dark Souls just randomly disconnecting and then you lose all your recent progress.

I would personally drive over to Adam Orth's house and punch him in the balls.

You really think a creative director could go around being an asshole defending something that officially doesn't even exists?

And furthermore, defending something the public is so sensitive about?

No way.

Besides, it all looks like two people making fun of one another.

If it's true, though, he's going to get axed.

Fun thread. I can't wait for more to be revealed.

daveo42

Banned
Too late. If he was just joking, he still messed up. Sarcasm doesn't exist on the internets.

Exactly. Even in context, this is a pretty low-blow for a jab at a developer and everyone can easily read in whatever tone they want to.

Best keep it clean if you're representing a company on the internet or you might inadvertently start a fire that ends with you losing your job.

Alcander

Only the city tweets are a joke? Cause that's the least important tweets imo
Not sure. This was Manveer's take on his tweets about always online:

Personally I think required online is a pretty boneheaded move (unless there is an extremely compelling reason to require it), but after looking at the dude's previous tweets, it seems as if hes just an inflammatory type. Not sure how much to read into it.

Smash88

Banned
So PS3 was all about getting a second job. For this next generation we all have to move to a new location? What the fuck?

It was a fun ride Microsoft. I know what my next console is going to be. Hint: It won't be an Xbox.

NqA7HRf.gif

DrNeroCF

• Xbox Live won't be successful you need to have broadband.
  • Kinect won't sell you need to have a giant living room.
  • Xbox 720 won't be successful you need to have Internet.

Same shit. Different year.

Are we arguing that the 720 won't sell, or that requiring always on is despicable anti-consumer behavior?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
His avatars gone... I'm guessing he got perma'd?

A user's avatar disappearing upon being banned is just a bug; it doesn't indicate length.

Incidentally, he returned from a two-week ban just two weeks ago. Some people just don't learn. :p

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
You really think a creative director could go around being an asshole defending something that officially doesn't even exists?

No way.

Uh, he just did. His other tweets had nothing to do with the developer.

GQman2121

Banned

No way.

If it's true, though, he's going to get axed.

Fun thread. I can't wait for more to be revealed.

Even so, it doesn't look good. I mean that last tweet about "why would I live there?" is about as ridiculous as it gets. The guy is fucking clueless or doesn't know how social media works.

Regardless, none of this paints his employer in a positive light.

Manveer has tweeted this from Orths protected account

Orthy ‏@adam_orth Protected account 3m
.@manveerheir Just the normal daily back and forth I have with Manveer. Apologies for offending non-cities. I was trolling him personally.

Top Bottom