• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

ironcreed

Banned
What a fucking douche. Hope Microsoft just "deals with it" when gamers vote with their wallets if they do go this shitty route.

People will buy it, man. Many here in resident GAF and other gaming enthusiasts in general will certainly give them the finger, but the masses will not give a shit if it has some flashy features.

The infrastructure in the US is not ready for a devise like this, however I assume the majority of people who buy these consoles have access to high speed internet. Either way, that is kinda shitty MS is segregating their user base.

I think people are overreacting.

gif-pulpfiction2.gif

Reiko

Banned
People will buy it, man. Many here in resident GAF and other gaming enthusiasts in general will certainly give them the finger, but the masses will not give a shit if it has some flashy features.

This needs to hit Facebook for critical mass.

It's pretty obvious this guy is trolling. All this does is confirms to me the hype train will be there when Microsoft finally announces the next xbox. Other than that. This guy is looking like a true puppet master, just not sure how his employer will take it.

KJ

Toki767

The infrastructure in the US is not ready for a devise like this, however I assume the majority of people who buy these consoles have access to high speed internet. Either way, that is kinda shitty MS is segregating their user base.

If that were the case, we wouldn't be seeing things like Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare or The Walking Dead be put out in retail form.

The majority might have high speed internet, but it's not exactly some 80/20 split. Then you have to factor in the people whose internet goes out for no good reason from time to time.

Tratorn

I... I can't believe what I read there, really.
If it was true he couldn't talk like that in the public...?

This must be some BS to make some people/gaf angry and he'll laugh about it when they announce that it isn't true. It HAS to, otherwise his word's couldn't be more dumb.

Replicant

Penguins&PolarBears said:
Without Internet the only thing I would ever use my 360 for is to watch DVDs.

ibmvmyIZQhLo53.gif

So this is how stupid one looks when you're blindly loyal to a company. It's a gaming console FFS. What's the point if you can't play games on it unless you're online?

This needs to hit Facebook for critical mass.

Done my part on Facebook, tumblr, and livejournal. Others need to do it as well.

Well saw a Chinese Microsoft employee(he live in USA) aka investor of Tequila Works replied something about this...will translate it later(working now),or someone can translate it if you can

IoUarg5.jpg
a)Twitter's cap of 140 characters is a limiting factor, and people need to be careful what words they cut out to fit the 140 cap, which could lead to people misunderstanding the point. b)He should have know that at his position, anything he writes, even if it's a joke, could be misinterpreted. Should have went with a pseudonym instead.

So...is this MS just feeling out what reception would be like for such a restrictive feature, from behind the scenes through this dude? Cause I can't imagine why anyone would willingly make an effigy of themselves like this. No one could be that blind and truly believe the bullshit he's tweeted.

orznge

Banned
It's pretty obvious this guy is trolling. All this does is confirms to me the hype train will be there when Microsoft finally announces the next xbox. Other than that. This guy is looking like a true puppet master, just not sure how his employer will take it.

KJ

lol yeah I guess every single other stupid-as-shit thing some out of touch weirdo in the game industry has said in public on the internet has been part of an elaborate troll, it was so obvious, how did we not realize sooner?

Durango is saved

jbug617

Banned
Maybe i am waaaay off here but after reading the tweets the guy comes off to me as trolling.

He might of been but he was stupid to make them. He works at Microsoft and people would always make assumptions first especially with the Kotaku article today.

Tuck

Bad analogy, unfortunate confirmation.

I will not buy the next Xbox if it requires an online connection to start games.

*thinks about post I made in "what next gen systems will you be buying" thread*

Welp..looks like I am actually gonna save some money this generation. Microsoft's gotta have a HUGE killer app to pull me in and/or somehow revive Rare of N64. Only way I'll buy it.

Anth0ny

I wonder if Sony will just go straight SNES vs. Genesis advertising style and shit on Microsoft's anti-consumer, always online crap.

I mean, why not? Create awareness. If Joe Walmart sees that commercial, is he buying an Xbox?

xelloss12

Well saw a Chinese Microsoft employee(he live in USA) aka investor of Tequila Works replied something about this...will translate it later(working now),or someone can translate it if you can

IoUarg5.jpg

The first part says

My friend and his former coworker were joking around on twitter. The idiots at kotaku and neogaf thought it was a "response from microsoft". Too idiotic

Keyouta

No next XBox for me if there's always-online. My internet connection is good and I don't think I would have any problems at all playing games, but it's a horrible move.

Toki767

I wonder if Sony will just go straight SNES vs. Genesis advertising style and shit on Microsoft's anti-consumer, always online crap.

I mean, why not? Create awareness. If Joe Walmart sees that commercial, is he buying an Xbox?

They could easily do something along the lines of the Mac vs PC commercials if all the bad things were true.

Bravocado

IT's too bad this guy's probably gonna lose his job over this. Yeah, he's acting like a jerk, and yeah, he's not making a strong case for the product itself. But still, I kinda see what he was going for.

With that said, the HELL with online only. That's what I say.

mboojigga

So while playing single player games on the 360 you never get disconnected from Live?

Yep and it rarely happens and when it does guess what can't connect to my cloud save so shit happens. I am already always online with all my devices. All this whining is just comedy.

JABEE

Maybe i am waaaay off here but after reading the tweets the guy comes off to me as trolling.

The justification for always-online in the face of the recent Kotaku article is no coincidence. He was basically mocking the comments made on GAF, Kotaku's comments, and other message boards regarding not buying a product that is always-online.

His stance is known whether it was humor or not. It was his point. The comment was made on the same day the Kotaku story was published. He works as creative director on an "unannounced" Microsoft Game Studios game.

With all of these factors in mind, it is likely that his game is going to be on the Durango, and he feels that people's complaints made about Durango's always-online requirement are not reasonable.

orznge

Banned
IT's too bad this guy's probably gonna lose his job over this. Yeah, he's acting like a jerk, and yeah, he's not making a strong case for the product itself. But still, I kinda see what he was going for.

With that said, the HELL with online only. That's what I say.

yeah I totally get it too; shame on Microsoft for not paying his way through some kind of public speaking/interpersonal communication/technical writing/liking cool things about technology/being in touch at all with any demographic that his work targets classes

dmr87

Even if you have a rock solid connection that won't matter when Microsoft goes full SimCity/Diablo 3 on launch day.

orznge

Banned
Adam Orth's last name is frighteningly similar to the classic "orly" meme. Coincidence? Given this guy's aptitude for self-aware internet humor, I think not.

CrunchyB

Make no mistake, it's one snowball effect I would love to see start rolling. Shitty anti-consumerism at it's finest.

Hey, if the outcry is large enough, maybe we can nip this one in the bud :)

who am I kidding. This is Microsoft. They practically invented anti-consumerism.

Top Bottom