• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Sera O

Banned
Why does he call himself Sweet Billy if his name is Adam?

Yeah I am also wondering. Is this a reference to something or what? Because to me it just sounds vaguely gross.

This thread is incredible. Been reading for hours and man I'm going to be wrecked tomorrow.

Its his online name.
He only calls himself Adam when he loses his internet connection.

mj-laughing.gif

fucking lol I'm done

This is the perfect comment to leave this thread on.

Majanew

Banned
All I would suggest here is this: don't shoot the messenger. The real fuckup is Microsoft for thinking they should do this. The guy on twitter was a bit condescending about it for sure, but the real mistake is Microsoft for doing it.

Microsoft's dumb decision, and a Microsoft employee's dumb decision to spill the beans and be a dickhead about it.

Yagharek

Microsoft's dumb decision, and a Microsoft employee's dumb decision to spill the beans and be a dickhead about it.

I'm not saying he wasn't flippant about it, but at the same time I don't think he deserves to be the focus of ire here.

EVERYONE who is annoyed by this should be annoyed at Microsoft for implementing such a dumb, anti-consumer system.

Alcander

I haven't seen hardly anyone wishing for him to be fired. Most are saying he will be, or he probably will be...because he will be. Doesn't mean I'm cheering for it to happen. I'm sure it wasn't his decision to go always online. Whomever made that decision is the person I wish would get fired.

Haha, come on. Read the subtext in 90% of the posts speculating on his firing; its not hard to see who is chomping at the bit.

LuuKyK

Why does he call himself Sweet Billy if his name is Adam?

Well, Adam Orth was a musician in his childhood:

Adam Orth is a musician and longtime friend of Rivers Cuomo's dating back to their childhood in Connecticut. He was a member of such bands as Shufflepuck (also featuring Justin Fisher), Neighborly, and the short-lived Cuomo-led project Homie. He also got a 'special engineering credit' on Space Twins' "No Show" 7" and performed bass on the Pinkerton outtake "Tragic Girl". He currently lives in San Francisco, CA.

http://www.weezerpedia.com/wiki/index.php?title=Adam_Orth

And Sweet Billy Pilgrim:

are an English experimental rock/art rock band, composed of bassist/banjo player Anthony Bishop, guitarist and singer Jana Carpenter, singer, guitarist and songwriter Tim Elsenburg, and drummer/percussionist Alistair Hamer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Billy_Pilgrim

Maybe thats why.

Slavik81

So you are saying this dude's livelihood should be destroyed over some stupid spat on Twitter? Okay. Seriously I think people in this thread need some serious perspective before they go handing off someone to the wolves.

I don't think it's really my business whether they fire him or not. But it wouldn't be undeserved if they did. And the reason has really nothing to do with always-online.

With his comments, he's managed to annoy everyone. He annoyed customers by arrogantly dismissing their concerns, and he annoyed his employer by fanning the flames of a negative rumour about their upcoming product. He should know better than that.

B.O.O.M

Its his online name.
He only calls himself Adam when he loses his internet connection.

daaaaaaaaaaymn 'slowclap'

All I would suggest here is this: don't shoot the messenger. The real fuckup is Microsoft for thinking they should do this. The guy on twitter was a bit condescending about it for sure, but the real mistake is Microsoft for doing it.

This is definitely true

I'm not saying he wasn't flippant about it, but at the same time I don't think he deserves to be the focus of ire here.

EVERYONE who is annoyed by this should be annoyed at Microsoft for implementing such a dumb, anti-consumer system.

I stopped paying attention to Microsoft when they gave me a quarter as a "gift".

L1NETT

On a positive note, at least the console war won't be as ferocious. With 360 vs PS3 both had their advantages, but now.........

PS4ever.

sure he does. a douche working for a pretentious company. match made in heaven.

I know when i wake up in the morning there is going to be so much stuff that has happened..i hope the OP gets updated with interesting tidbits gaf finds.

ekim

Can someone confirm that I didn't miss anything?
- Adam orth says stuff on twitter (see OP)
- someone at reddit weighs in and says he a douche and wants to be called Sweet Billy
- you guys found a posting of Sweet Billy (aka adam orth) here on GAF

And the important part now is, that the guy on reddit is legit because of this GAF posting, right?

MS can spin this whole thing if games come out to be cheaper. More legitimate sales could lower the prices of games faster, then publishers could pass that on to consumers. Thats the story I would run with.

Majanew

Banned

Don't worry. If MS announces this at the reveal, the focus will be all on them.

I don't think it's really my business whether they fire him or not. But it wouldn't be undeserved if they did. And the reason has really nothing to do with always-online.

With his comments, he's managed to annoy everyone. He annoyed customers by arrogantly dismissing their concerns, and he annoyed his employer by fanning the flames of a negative rumour about their upcoming product. He should know better than that.
Yup. It's amazing how idiotic so many people handle twitter/Facebook. You're not having a private conversation on it. Stop acting like you are.

vazel

Banned
I'm torn. The davidjaffe posts make it look like he's a swell guy that was just fooling around with a friend. But the reddit posts seem to confirm that he is indeed an arrogant jackass.

Either way I'm not getting a console with always-online requirements irrespective of Orth's character.

Reiko

Banned
The realization of the man in the OP being connected to GAF is epic in itself.

GAF>Internet>GAF

Now and forever.

My ire is definitely directed at Microsoft. Sweet Billy just deserves mockery for his rubbish analogies.

And for being called Sweet Billy.

unbias

After going through all the twitter stuff, now that I have time... Haha, oh wow, how does this guy have a publicly traded companies job? Whatever, he probably fits perfectly over there, seems living in another world, completely disconnected from its consumers/customers is a thing.

Top Bottom