• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

Raide

Halo should go MP only, PC/Xbox/Scorpio, expand Forge and work in adding new maps, plus giving players the options to tweak combat settings to match their Halo MP preferences.

Playlists for Halo CE, Halo 2 etc, alongside the classic maps that get released as free DLC to keep community alive and engaged.

JlNX

Halo should go MP only, PC/Xbox/Scorpio, expand Forge and work in adding new maps, plus giving players the options to tweak combat settings to match their Halo MP preferences.

Playlists for Halo CE, Halo 2 etc, alongside the classic maps that get released as free DLC to keep community alive and engaged.

No

(beaten)

Chobel

I don't know were you got that from, Gears 4 multiplayer makes previous games look like a 5 year old created them in MS paint. If only seen a lot of praise for multiplayer and horde as the best in the series. The multiplayer team over at the coalition is great at responding to the community and make quick changes.

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that it's not good. What I meant it's not good enough to be keep a big online population engaged, I mean it's not even in top 20 most played games. This is probably because the microtransactions and cosmetic are not well implemented.

JlNX

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that it's not good. What I meant it's not good enough to be keep a big online population engaged, I mean it's not even in top 20 most played games. This is probably because the microtransactions and cosmetic are not well implemented.

I thinks it's more that it's a hardcore niche community, If they redesign it fans will tear them apart and if they keep it the same it will continue to be niche. It's in a similar position to naughty dog with their games were they put so much effort into multiplayer but it doesn't gather enough attention. I think they should go towards the fast movement market, not in a cod style but more in a arena shooter style. Gears would be awesome if you could wall bounce across the map in a sec with weird locust and swarm weapons that are flame throwers and living weapons. TPS fast paced arena shooter would be a cool concept especially if they meld wall bouncing into the core gameplay design.

Chris1

I think you're remembering wrongly. Destiny (vanilla) sold extremely well. If TTK had outsold base Destiny, it would've been a bigger news.
Well it would have had a year of destiny sales to sell people on. I tried to Google it quickly but can't find anything. Might have been more players playing at ttk release time than at launch? Not sure. Will try to find whatever it was when I'm home and can search properly but I could be wrong

Chobel

Not really. The MP is liked but the gears MP is way more niche and hardcore than a halo which has a bunch of goofy mini games and warzone( which contrary to the the it gets online is probably one of the most popular modes). Even in the gears social modes new players are going to get wrecked. Way more than a COD or a Halo

Gears doesn't need any innovation. It needs to just have its place with the hardcore fan base. I felt that Gears 4 needed to come out. Now that it has, I don't think 5 is as necessary right away. Not that it needs a rest or anything, but the formula is as perfect as it's gonna get

I'm pretty sure MS didn't want Gears to just "have its place with the hardcore fan base" when they bought the IP from Epic. Gears isn't just some another MP game, it used to be one of the big pillars of Xbox. You can bet they're not happy about what's happening with it now.

Well it would have had a year of destiny sales to sell people on. I tried to Google it quickly but can't find anything. Might have been more players playing at ttk release time than at launch? Not sure. Will try to find whatever it was when I'm home and can search properly but I could be wrong

You're partially right, they talked about PlayStation only https://gamerant.com/destiny-taken-king-sales-125/, no doubt the same happened on Xbox.

blakep267

I thinks it's more that it's a hardcore niche community, If they redesign it fans will tear them apart and if they keep it the same it will continue to be niche. It's in a similar position to naughty dog with their games were they put so much effort into multiplayer but it doesn't gather enough attention. I think they should go towards the fast movement market, not in a cod style but more in a arena shooter style. Gears would be awesome if you could wall bounce across the map in a sec with weird locust and swarm weapons that are flame throwers and living weapons. TPS fast paced arena shooter would be a cool concept especially if they meld wall bouncing into the core gameplay design.
Yeah. Like I don't see the room for a ton of growth with gears. Either you are into the MP or your not. Halo offers a lot of stuff for everybody. Casuals, hardcore, people that wanna play and create games with friends. Unless TC starts adding forge mini games to Gears it's going to just be a hardcore community and that's fine TBH. It's not gonna be the most played game unless MS massively bundles it like they do with third party games

W.S.

I really dislike how the cosmetics/microtransaction were handled. Hell I still think the season pass/ultimate edition was a complete ripoff.

At least add campaign DLC to those who aren't interested in multiplayer content.

Theorry

I really dislike how the cosmetics/microtransaction were handled. Hell I still think the season pass/ultimate edition was a complete ripoff.

At least add campaign DLC to those who aren't interested in multiplayer content.

Well you knew what you were buying.

JlNX

Yeah. Like I don't see the room for a ton of growth with gears. Either you are into the MP or your not. Halo offers a lot of stuff for everybody. Casuals, hardcore, people that wanna play and create games with friends. Unless TC starts adding forge mini games to Gears it's going to just be a hardcore community and that's fine TBH. It's not gonna be the most played game unless MS massively bundles it like they do with third party games

Yep and if they add a forge like mode to gears there just diluting the Halo and gears brands when they need to keep them defined rather than first person vs third person.

blakep267

I'm pretty sure MS didn't want Gears to just "have its place with the hardcore fan base" when they bought the IP from Epic. Gears isn't just some another MP game, it used to be one of the big pillars of Xbox. You can bet they're not happy about what's happening with it now.

You're partially right, they talked about PlayStation only https://gamerant.com/destiny-taken-king-sales-125/, no doubt the same happened on Xbox.
But that's the reality of it. Whether they like it or not, the game is very hardcore in its appeal. The best they can hope for is for it to keep its base happy and be a top 20 game for a year + and then go into game pass and hopefully reach new people

As someone who loves Gears 3 and UE pvp I think Gears 4 mp has some significant problems when it comes to it's tuning and the matchmaking system that they now have stated is getting some changes. Gears 4 mp tries to be Gears 3 yet the balancing in core is just ridiculous op. As a person who loves to wall bounce it's really hard to do that in Core. Competitive on the other hand for the most part is ace the problem being this is where the most hardcore are and there's like one objective mode in that playlist.

I don't look at the core settings and think this was made for the hardcore players. It's there for people who want to down people real fast or blast them with a shotgun that's way more powerful than it's ever been holding right hand.

As a fan of the mp from previous games this game just really turns me off and I'm close to re-upping twice. The game's mp could be a lot better. If you go to their forums there's not a lot of praise going on.

Theorry

I actually didn't buy it for those reasons but I still think it's a stinky proposition as far as content goes.

Think its fine really. It for the more hardcore playerbase who do also scrims etc.
I prefer it this way then no free maps on rotations then maps behind paid dlc wich only hurts the playerbase.

Chobel

But that's the reality of it. Whether they like it or not, the game is very hardcore in its appeal. The best they can hope for is for it to keep its base happy and be a top 20 game for a year + and then go into game pass and hopefully reach new people

That's the reality of the current formula of Gears, so if they want to change that (of course they want to), some big adjustments and additions in gameplay department are needed.

UltSeer1

Banned
Throwing people at a game doesn't make it better, in fact it can cause issues in development.

Also yeh like nekkid said halo 4 has a fantastic campaign and halo 5 multiplayer is easily the best in the series. Forge is a league above anything they have made as well.
Sure but it's either one or the other, how about a fantastic campaign and a fantastic multiplayer in one game?

JlNX

As someone who loves Gears 3 and UE pvp I think Gears 4 mp has some significant problems when it comes to it's tuning and the matchmaking system that they now have stated is getting some changes. Gears 4 mp tries to be Gears 3 yet the balancing in core is just ridiculous op. As a person who loves to wall bounce it's really hard to do that in Core. Competitive on the other hand for the most part is ace the problem being this is where the most hardcore are and there's like one objective mode in that playlist.

I don't look at the core settings and think this was made for the hardcore players. It's there for people who want to down people real fast or blast them with a shotgun that's way more powerful than it's ever been holding right hand.

As a fan of the mp from previous games this game just really turns me off and I'm close to re-upping twice. The game's mp could be a lot better.

Core plays like Gears 3 to me, but obviously range weapons are more viable. Competitive is balanced perfectly because it's designed around wall bouncing and hyper bouncing it's design for people like yourself. Core is designed around the casual who doesn't know every way to take advantage of the maps or animations. So people in core are playing completely differently to you, so it doesn't flow the way your trying to force it. Also i've seen a lot of wall bouncing in core from what I remember.

Also a ton of the gears community want that op shotgun balance "blast" mode, that's the casual community they have to cater to them. The shotgun is a touchy subject on the forums.

Rodelero

I'm not sure it's that similar to the Naughty Dog situation. Naughty Dog's multiplayer offerings have always seemed secondary to the single player. That's not to say they're bad necessarily (UC2 and TLoU have incredible MP), but you wouldn't say any of Naughty Dog's PS3 or PS4 games were unsuccessful due to their multiplayer modes not setting the world alight. The fact that Halo 5's multiplayer barely registers against the heavy weight franchises like Call of Duty, Battlefield/front, Overwatch, and even Rainbow Six does feel like a failure for 343i though, because the top of those charts is exactly where the Halo franchise used to be.

I think it's quite hard to assess where Halo 5's multiplayer goes wrong. I liked it, and played it pretty intensely for a month or two after the game released, but ultimately got bored of it. 343i seemed to be trying to separate the community into various groups. They wanted a microtransaction laden mode for casuals, and created Warzone. They wanted something focused at the competitive community, and created Arena. They wanted something for the eSports crowd, and created Breakout. They wanted to ensure Big Team Battle fans were happy, and so stuck a BTB playlist in too. I don't know about anyone else, but I still didn't really feel catered for.

For me, warzone's pay-to-win mechanics are an immediate turn off, and the games often just felt like a meaningless mess. Big Team Battle was blatantly a lazy attempt to prevent backlash. Breakout doesn't even remotely feel like Halo, largely because of the lower health. Arena is the closest to what I want, but with the lack of game modes (or, arguably, shitty organisation of playlists), low number of maps, and, more importantly, lacking variety of maps, each play session quickly started to feel like the last. For me, the omission of vehicles in Arena is so massive, because for me, Halo isn't Halo without vehicles being involved.

Halo 5's multiplayer is, when you add it altogether, absolutely enormous, but maybe that's part of the problem. Maybe they're trying to satisfy too many distinct communities with too many discrete elements, rather than aiming to build one coherent masterpiece. Focus on doing one thing really well, and build out from there. This seems to be the route for most big games these days. 343i still seems to be trying to run before they can walk.

JlNX

Sure but it's either one or the other, how about a fantastic campaign and a fantastic multiplayer in one game?

Yeh, after Halo 4 got criticised for the multiplayer and forge aspect 343 focused entirely on the multiplayer and forge for Halo 5 which hurt the single player but shows in the forge and mulitplayer. It didn't help that the lore and story community loved Halo 4 were the causal community lashed out at it for being to complex and widespread, which ultimately had a effect on Halo 5's underdeveloped story. On top of this we know from Frankie that the studio was not going through good times during the development of Halo 5, they definitely weren't at their best which hurt them further.

Hopefully they go back to Halo 4's design of single player and just build of Halo 5's mulitplayer and forge. If they did that they will have made a really great Halo game not the best but a very good game across the board which would go along way towards rebuilding the franchise. Hopefully they have got the studio back to it's best internally for Halo 6.

Freiya

Piss people off if you change, piss them off if you don't. Series is dying. Halo 5 was a great direction with great support and still not enough.
Halo 5 campaign is horrible and imo series deserve what it gets after that giant letdown.

blakep267

I'm not sure it's that similar to the Naughty Dog situation. Naughty Dog's multiplayer offerings have always seemed secondary to the single player. That's not to say they're bad necessarily (UC2 and TLoU have incredible MP), but you wouldn't say any of Naughty Dog's PS3 or PS4 games were unsuccessful due to their multiplayer modes not setting the world alight. The fact that Halo 5's multiplayer barely registers against the heavy weight franchises like Call of Duty, Battlefield/front, Overwatch, and even Rainbow Six does feel like a failure for 343i though, because the top of those charts is exactly where the Halo franchise used to be.

I think it's quite hard to assess where Halo 5's multiplayer goes wrong. I liked it, and played it pretty intensely for a month or two after the game released, but ultimately got bored of it. 343i seemed to be trying to separate the community into various groups. They wanted a microtransaction laden mode for casuals, and created Warzone. They wanted something focused at the competitive community, and created Arena. They wanted something for the eSports crowd, and created Breakout. They wanted to ensure Big Team Battle fans were happy, and so stuck a BTB playlist in too. I don't know about anyone else, but I still didn't really feel catered for.

For me, warzone's pay-to-win mechanics are an immediate turn off, and the games often just felt like a meaningless mess. Big Team Battle was blatantly a lazy attempt to prevent backlash. Breakout doesn't even remotely feel like Halo, largely because of the lower health. Arena is the closest to what I want, but with the lack of game modes (or, arguably, shitty organisation of playlists), low number of maps, and, more importantly, lacking variety of maps, each play session quickly started to feel like the last. For me, the omission of vehicles in Arena is so massive, because for me, Halo isn't Halo without vehicles being involved.

Halo 5's multiplayer is, when you add it altogether, absolutely enormous, but maybe that's part of the problem. Maybe they're trying to satisfy too many distinct communities with too many discrete elements, rather than aiming to build one coherent masterpiece. Focus on doing one thing really well, and build out from there. This seems to be the route for most big games these days. 343i still seems to be trying to run before they can walk.
also to be fair, Halo 5 stopped receiving monthly content updates with maps and armors last June or July I believe. Then they had the final content drop with the server browser in October. Destiny, Overwatch, rainbow six all have recent ongoing efforts. In rainbow six's case, a season 2 of content. At this point in its life, it's not going to see those spikes back to the top that comes with new maps etc. because the roadmap was never to keeep updating it for years and years.

Core plays like Gears 3 to me, but obviously range weapons are more viable. Competitive is balanced perfectly because it's designed around wall bouncing and hyper bouncing it's design for people like yourself. Core is designed around the casual who doesn't know every way to take advantage of the maps or animations. So people in core are playing completely differently to you, so it doesn't flow the way your trying to force it. Also I've seen a lot of wall bouncing in core from what I remember.

Also a ton of the gears community want that op shotgun balance "blast" mode, that's the casual community they have to cater to them. The shotgun is a touchy subject on the forums.
Yup it's for the casual audience but that's the thing right it's that shotty really that has the biggest issue. Like my problem is core currently isn't casual at all. It's full of parties who are high level who go in and wreck. The mode I'm referring to is KOTH it's much easier in TDM.

If I log on with a couple of my buddies who some of them aren't really dedicated to it they struggle a lot more in core settings rather than competitive. Luckily they have Competitive warm up which I love. Escalation is a great mode but you can't go in alone usually because it's also parties and those games are just too long. KOTH is a sweet spot for me and it's something I think casuals should play because it helps you learn and it's also a lot more frequent encounters.

The recent tuning they've done just made the lancer more powerful and to me I wonder how does that help out a casual who faces a dedicated team. Team rifling aint a joke.

It's pretty much the gnasher that is just so nuclear now and I wall bounce but I would never say I'm amazing at the game it's just I've noticed a significant change to playstyle with that gnasher.

I also am not a fan of majority of their original maps, nowhere near gears 3 for me but thank god for the remakes.

Finaj

I'm curious who will be writing Halo 6's campaign. Brian Reed isn't lead writer anymore and Chris Schlerf is long gone.

JlNX

1. The fact that Halo 5's multiplayer barely registers against the heavy weight franchises like Call of Duty, Battlefield/front, Overwatch, and even Rainbow Six does feel like a failure for 343i though, because the top of those charts is exactly where the Halo franchise used to be.

2. 343i seemed to be trying to separate the community into various groups. They wanted a microtransaction laden mode for casuals, and created Warzone. They wanted something focused at the competitive community, and created Arena. They wanted something for the eSports crowd, and created Breakout. They wanted to ensure Big Team Battle fans were happy, and so stuck a BTB playlist in too.

3.Arena is the closest to what I want, but with the lack of game modes (or, arguably, shitty organisation of playlists), low number of maps, and, more importantly, lacking variety of maps, each play session quickly started to feel like the last. For me, the omission of vehicles in Arena is so massive, because for me, Halo isn't Halo without vehicles being involved.

4.Halo 5's multiplayer is, when you add it altogether, absolutely enormous, but maybe that's part of the problem. Maybe they're trying to satisfy too many distinct communities with too many discrete elements, rather than aiming to build one coherent masterpiece. Focus on doing one thing really well, and build out from there. This seems to be the route for most big games these days. 343i still seems to be trying to run before they can walk.

1. Im pretty sure there was a message from bravo talking about the success of Halo 5's multiplayer, How it players were increasing each month with each update and that it was ranking above not only 4 but reach. Your right isn't in the most played anymore but it's not getting worse. If you compare it to halo 4 it's a vast vast improvement, and to know it was doing better than reach is great. It shows growth and remedying by 343 from reach and 4's slope. 343 will see it as a improvement to build on that proves their model of constant updates.

2. Well warzone if I remember correctly is the most played mode, so them targetting the casual community worked out well for them and they have a great base to build off based on feedback. They shown with Halo 5 multiplayer and Forge they can build of feedback and they have been more open than ever before with Halo 5 shipping. Arena worked out really well, it's balanced really well for what it's focused on. It's caters to that very large segement of what people and the community consider Halo. Breakout was ok at launch but with redesigning it and updates it's become a failure. They should have realised competitive would focus on arena anyway instead of waisting their time on it. BTB was shoved in half done because they thought warzone would cater to that crowd, BTB is such a shit implementation that I hope they take a lot of feedback on.

3.I think that's more down to the issues in development Frankie has talked about, you can see after launch with their live team formed an engine redesigned for quick content creation that they can get more content out than that. Now with Halo 6 their engine has a large base to build off to give a large amount of content at launch and support after launch. To be honest it would be weird to shove vehicles into arena, it's meant to be the core arena focus of halo that made it popular. Vehicles have no place in that balance, it more at home in BTB or Warzone.

4. I think with Halo 6 building of the base will be really great for them, just give the players all the content and modes specialised to each kind of player and give them the tools to play it. The custom browser they implemented and other features to halo 5 are now part of their engine for Halo 6. The problem is that Halo is seen as a jack of all trades 4 different games in one, it's why people buy it. 343 needs focused teams for each part of their mulitplayer design.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Yes?

Make a Halo SP spinoff and dedicate the time to making a damn good shooter with a great storyline.

The statement "MP only" is just incompatible with Halo.

However, I've long said that the MP and SP should follow their own schedules. Let MP be the GaaS release that constantly upgrades the engine and tweaks gameplay, and let the SP steal that tech every 3-4 years and be a mutually exclusive title.

wbarreda

The statement "MP only" is just incompatible with Halo.

However, I've long said that the MP and SP should follow their own schedules. Let MP be the GaaS release that constantly upgrades the engine and tweaks gameplay, and let the SP steal that tech every 3-4 years and be a mutually exclusive title.

Yeah, I think Microsoft is missing a big opportunity by not releasing Halo 5 MP right now as F2P.

JlNX

Halo Wars 2 story was great, do you have a source on Kevin Grace heading story at 343? Would be great if true.

On the Halo Wars 2 launch live stream his title had changed to Franchise director, which would mean he leads all story development across games, comics, books etc.

JlNX

C94F4joXgAARpd-.jpg:large
This is the guy than runs xbox, what a mess. /s

(Also notice that three screen set up for sea of thieves, I smell a good PC version incoming)

Theorry

This is the guy than runs xbox, what a mess.

(Also notice that three screen set up for sea of thieves, I smell a good PC version incoming)

Less port, more starboard
We’re building Sea of Thieves on Windows 10 in parallel with the Xbox One version. It’s important that players on all platforms are in sync, which has the added benefit of being able to support great features like Xbox Play Anywhere. This means the more traditional “port” approach of bringing games to PC simply wouldn’t work for us. Whenever we’re working on a game feature, Lead Designer Mike Chapman and I discuss how the feature will work across both platforms. Most of this boils down to a discussion around UI and control input, but with some features we get the opportunity to (excuse the pun) push the boat out a little more. An example of this, which those of you might have seen in our videos, is the inventory radial UI. On Xbox One this is controlled with the analogue stick, but on PC this is controlled with the mouse (although of course you’re more than welcome to use a controller as well!). Both platforms have their sensitivity fine-tuned separately, but the core underlying feature is the same. This means that players who take advantage of playing across Xbox One and PC will have a consistent experience, which is very important to us.

Getting our PC legs. Get it? Like sea-legs?
While we’re developing the game features, we of course need to actually get the game to you! This is where things start to get a little more complicated. The most important thing for us is that Sea of Thieves performs well on PC. Not just from the point of game stability, but also its frame-rate and how well we can bring the experience to a range of PCs in the future. This is where the Xbox One has an advantage in that it’s a fixed platform, which means we can go into Technical Alpha earlier, so on the PC side whilst the game has all the same content as Sea of Thieves on Xbox One we need to test it across hundreds of PC setups before going into real players hands. We’re fortunate as a 1st party developer within Microsoft to have access to some great facilities, one of which is named “SHIELD” which is a PC testing lab in Seattle with over 250 (!!!) different configurations of devices. The information we get back from this facility (which looks just like the Goldeneye level, honest) is absolutely priceless, and helps inform not just our engineers internally at Rare, but also our partners AMD, Intel and Nvidia.

This is our current PC focus as a development team, and we’re going through our first round of Shield testing next week so we’ll be able to share more in a future update!

Testing back at port
We also have 24 different devices in our own testing labs, 12 laptops and 12 PCs, which cover a wide range of specs from low-end machines all the way up to the overclocked 4K monsters. They’re all equipped with different keyboards, mice and monitors, with my personal favourite being the beautiful 21:9 curved monitor (144Hz!), so that we have a good spread of inputs. It’s certainly a race to the best PC each time we have a playtest! In all seriousness though, each machine is important in its own way, as we know that the minimum spec is crucial for us being able to invite more people in to share the world with us, the medium spec will reflect the most common setup in the wild… And the 4K setups are just, well, awesome. One thing that unites all of these players is their expectation around stability, so we’ll keep working hard as we’ve set this as our number-one goal.

We plan to keep all of our PC Insiders informed on progress as we head towards that first Technical Alpha on PC, so feel free to throw questions our way in the official Sea of Thieves Forums and we’ll do our best to answer them

Believe they also said they want at to be as good as Gears 4 PC version. Believe they even visited etc.

JlNX

Believe they also said they want at to be as good as Gears 4 PC version. Believe they even visited etc.

Good to hear, I hope 343 is putting this sort of attention into their next game. I like the fact that MS is setting up PC leads for each of these projects, it's show they care when everything right now seems like PC is an afterthought especially with the store. Sea of Thieves is going to need that store fixed when it launches so it can really succeed on Twitch.

Good to hear, I hope 343 is putting this sort of attention into their next game. I like the fact that MS is setting up PC leads for each of these projects, it's show they care when everything right now seems like PC is an afterthought especially with the store. Sea of Thieves is going to need that store fixed when it launches so it can really succeed on Twitch.
Succeed on twitch and maybe some sort of Beam integration. They can really grow that platform out I believe.

Salty Hippo

This is the guy than runs xbox, what a mess.

What was going in this picture? Was he doing a presentation on how well the game has to perform to avoid the studio's closure?

What I loved about Ed Fries is how diversity focused he was in their portfolio. Watching the IGN Unfiltered really showed how he didn't want to double down on a core, the dude just wanted to fund a boatload of games. The OG Xbox really shows that passion.

Top Bottom