• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Tablet announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want the Pro version, but I worry about how well normal Windows 8 programs will work in a tablet setting.

My favorite Apps for the ipad have been things like Audubon guides, star maps, etc. I wonder if those developers would bother making a W8 Pro version?

I love the idea of using this as a steam machine for old/indie games though...

s7evn

I guess the only thing left is to consider how the OS runs on the hardware. Hopefully it's apple smooth and runs flawlessly (insert BSOD joke here).

tino

Banned
Ditto. This is the school/work tablet I've been waiting for, now I just need release/price details, along with news form people actually using them.

The Transformer probably has 4 times more battery life than this Intel version.

El Sloth

Banned
Did anyone do this yet:

ballman.jpg
Thread is now complete for me.

Pro version = 999$
It just has to, for the base model that is. Seems like a good deal at that price.

I tend to agree.

I wonder what the memory on these will look like. I didn't notice any mention of that. Storage info was cool, but memory, battery life, and that sort of thing are just as important.

Chaos

Yeah but does the pen register varying levels of pressure? That's the tipping point for me. My tablet laptop died just this week so I'm looking for a replacement - this might be it.

Would be cool if it was pressure sensitive, they never mentioned much only that The surface has two digitizers. One for touch, one for digital ink.

sammich

This is exactly what i fucking wanted. Way to go MS!!!. This will be on the upper end of ultrabook pricing though.

1) its smaller than most if not all ultrabooks
2) it has an actual full 1080p screen which i havent seen on any ultrabooks yet.
3) its lighter than any ultrabook

I want this device regardless. Kinda wish it was a little bit bigger on the screen size, but you cant have everything

joshschw

I want the Pro version, but I worry about how well normal Windows 8 programs will work in a tablet setting.

My favorite Apps for the ipad have been things like Audubon guides, star maps, etc. I wonder if those developers would bother making a W8 Pro version?

Pro version still runs Metro apps. There's already a pretty cool star map app on very very limited beta marketplace even.

kehs

Banned

If they make them for RT they'll work on Pro.

Compatibility is one way with RT / Pro.

Vire

This is exactly what i fucking wanted. Way to go MS!!!. This will be on the upper end of ultrabook pricing though.

1) its smaller than most if not all ultrabooks
2) it has an actual full 1080p screen which i havent seen on any ultrabooks yet.
3) its lighter than any ultrabook

I want this device regardless. Kinda wish it was a little bit bigger on the screen size, but you cant have everything

Uhhh, have you been paying attention to what Apple just did?

My big question is can an OS really fully work as a touch screen interface as well as a desktop OS with keyboard mouse?

iOS apps are simple and designed that way. Can developers really make them work both ways? And can you really use the standard Windows apps other than the browser without a keyboard mouse? The hardware seems really good, but nobody was ever all that impressed with the iPad hardware. The design was the thing.

I remain interested to see which approach is "better". Simplified and customized OS vs "we can make it work both ways".

People have been using full blown Windows on tablets for over a decade now.

To varying levels of success.

I find it awkward as all hell, but MS has made improvements, and screen tech has changed a lot too.

Beyond that, I do wonder about the Metro UI apps, and how well they'll actually work on a non-touch screen machine.

Need to mess with the API's or something.. for a lot of apps "Click the mouse instead of touch" should work just fine.. but I wonder if it will limit the design of touch apps.. if devs will shy away from any sort of semi-complicated touch gesturing because they need to support the mousers.

But I dunno.. mayber Dreams-Visions can help answer that specific question.

- J - D -

They better make that built-in stand sturdy. If it's anywhere close to feeling like it could budge when not in use, that'd ruin the the tablet for me.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

the keyboard cover has a trackpad i believe. And you can always hook up a mouse.

Raistlin

It's a mixed bag. The resolution and ratio are shit. The accessories are kind of cool.
1080p is bad on a 10" screen? lol

As for aspect ratio ... one of the main differentiation points of WinRT versus other tablet OS's is dual apps running. Obviously the aspect ratio was chosen for that reason. I can understand if you still don't like it, but there was good logic behind its choice.

rodvik

Not at all. Obviously, it's just my opinion, but I don't see why anyone should give a shit about Android. With a fully functional Windows tablet (Pro version, obviously) and the iPad in the market, why would you go for Android?

Oh I actually I agree it seems like a blow to Android. I just posted the image to counter the MS copied Apple thing by pointing out Asus did the keyboard dock thing as well.

Anyways back to the announcement.

They are launching RT 3 months before the pro? That seems a poor choice imho.

mavs

I actually don't remember the last time people reacted this positively to a Microsoft product. Anyone?

I think it's partly relief that they actually did announce a relevant product. Compare this to E3, or most other cases where a "big" announcement is rumored and it turns out to be a waste of everyone's time.

Nice hardware. Curious about the price, though. It's a bit telling that they're afraid to say.

Tablets is where Metro shines, but I still can't see getting actual work done through regular desktop Windows on one of these things, even though "IT professionals" think you can.

Tobor

The RT tablet is "HD", and the Pro is "Full HD"? What does that mean? The RT is lower than 1920x1080?

They realize Apple is shipping 2048x1536 for $499, right?

No, I haven't actually. I'm new to the Windows scene as I've been a total Apple guy for the last 6 years. This reveal was interesting, but left more questions than answers. I think there are many people that will be coming from my perspective. They didn't discuss any of this in their presser, but I'd very much like to see how it will all work. Do you have any recommended thread links?

Watch the video here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/release-preview

Gives a good overview of the concept.

Seriously, people. This seems to be a very interesting device for sure, but without a battery time and the price, it's very bold to shout out "Day ONE!!1!"

I appreciate that it is much more attractive than I expected before the event though.

kehs

Banned
My big question is can an OS really fully work as a touch screen interface as well as a desktop OS with keyboard mouse?

iOS apps are simple and designed that way. Can developers really make them work both ways? And can you really use the standard Windows apps other than the browser without a keyboard mouse? The hardware seems really good, but nobody was ever all that impressed with the iPad hardware. The design was the thing.

I remain interested to see which approach is "better". Simplified and customized OS vs "we can make it work both ways".

Nobody makes really involved programs on the ipad because of the restricted OS, not because it's not possible on the tech that it's running.

Devs will have more free reign on Win8, as well as the tech to tap into it.

If they make them for RT they'll work on Pro.

Compatibility is one way with RT / Pro.

Really? That is amazing if I am understanding this right. So any app written for Windows tablets will work on the a Pro system?

How does that work out for apps that require multi-touch? How would a W8 pc run them?

Also, does this open the door for universal WP8 and W8RT apps?

Announcing a tablet with such a press conference that we won't see for another 3+ months is an asshole move, MS.

I'll probably pick up a Chinese-made transformer-style Win7 tab with IB or the new AMD processor line in the meantime and install W8 on it.

that's what the case with the built in KB&M is for, and what external BT KB&M's are for, sir!

you're not really supposed to touch the regular Windows OS. It's not designed for that and it's hardly enjoyable. It can be used like that...but you won't want to.

A lot of consumers don't care about resolution specifics.
I don't know I'd say that "a lot of consumers" don't care about that feature on the new iPads. But carry on.

Can you actually play xbla games on windows 8? Or just access the marketplace?

No.

Windows 8 has it's own marketplace. For MetroUI apps that will run on tablets and desktops.

Why, when this question is asked, do people only ask about XBLA games? Do people not realize XBLA games take the same hardware power as full blown Xbox 360 games, and thus, any device that actually runs XBLA games could just be described as running Xbox 360 games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom