• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Tablet announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
how so? that's about the power you get out of a laptop.
Which is why I don't have a laptop. Portability for me comes from battery life, which is why I have an ipad.

I don't want to have to worry about cables or following a strict charging schedule. If I wanted that I would get a laptop.

FStop7

Banned
if Apple countered with a hybrid multi-touch Macbook Air I'd shit kittens. Problem being that Apple is so rabidly anti-stylus that it still wouldn't do what I want.

Meh.

This is only shocking because it's coming from Microsoft. The only real worthy hardware here will be the Pro Surface, which if priced similarly to a MacBook Air/Ultrabook is completely uninteresting to me. That keyboard cover is cool in theory but if I'm paying $1k then I want to feel the "click" of my keyboard presses. Ultrabooks and MBA's are already incredibly thin and light, so unless the Pro Surfaces are way cheaper I don't see the appeal here.

xbhaskarx

49aye.jpg

Wait why are these reversed

This is exactly what i fucking wanted. Way to go MS!!!. This will be on the upper end of ultrabook pricing though.

1) its smaller than most if not all ultrabooks
2) it has an actual full 1080p screen which i havent seen on any ultrabooks yet.
3) its lighter than any ultrabook

I want this device regardless. Kinda wish it was a little bit bigger on the screen size, but you cant have everything

Asus Zenbook Prime has a 1080p IPS screen on both the 13" and 11.6" models. Sizes might be off but something like that.

Nice hardware. Curious about the price, though. It's a bit telling that they're afraid to say.

Tablets is where Metro shines, but I still can't see getting actual work done through regular desktop Windows on one of these things, even though "IT professionals" think you can.

Do people not get work done on a MacBook Air?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man yeah two apps side by side. @_@
Now you're playing with power.

diffusionx

Gold Member
No.

Windows 8 has it's own marketplace. For MetroUI apps that will run on tablets and desktops.

Why, when this question is asked, do people only ask about XBLA games? Do people not realize XBLA games take the same hardware power as full blown Xbox 360 games, and thus, any device that actually runs XBLA games could just be described as running Xbox 360 games?

No. I seriously saw people asking for XBLA compatibility when WP7 came out. A lot of people.

Levyne

Banned
No.

Windows 8 has it's own marketplace. For MetroUI apps that will run on tablets and desktops.

Why, when this question is asked, do people only ask about XBLA games? Do people not realize XBLA games take the same hardware power as full blown Xbox 360 games, and thus, any device that actually runs XBLA games could just be described as running Xbox 360 games?

Probably because every XBLA title is digitally available by default where only certain 360 titles are available digitally. I think that's the way the question is trending in. People don't care to ask about xbox 360 games because you aren't going to be shoving dvd's into this thing

bede-x

Not at all. Obviously, it's just my opinion, but I don't see why anyone should give a shit about Android. With a fully functional Windows tablet (Pro version, obviously) and the iPad in the market, why would you go for Android?

Price, maybe?

Juice

Meh.

This is only shocking because it's coming from Microsoft. The only real worthy hardware here will be the Pro Surface, which if priced similarly to a MacBook Air/Ultrabook is completely uninteresting to me. That keyboard cover is cool in theory but if I'm paying $1k then I want to feel the "click" of my keyboard presses. Ultrabooks and MBA's are already incredibly thin and light, so unless the Pro Surfaces are way cheaper I don't see the appeal here.

This is pretty much how I feel.

"No compromises"

JaggedSac

Meh.

They have a keyboard just for you then.

Centurion

Banned
Which is why I don't have a laptop. Portability for me comes from battery life, which is why I have an ipad.

I don't want to have to worry about cables or following a strict charging schedule. If I wanted that I would get a laptop.

well than you can get the standard version if battery power matters to you. They covered both bases.

I'm really not seeing why your average Joe is going to want to go out and buy a "Microsoft Surface". Why can't they just leverage their Xbox brand name? That's the only way they'll be able to compete directly with the iPad.

This will just be another Zune.

As near as makes no difference 720p, all it says in the specs is "HD Display" anyway.

Eh, got it from this (Anandtech):
They're calling the screen "ClearType", with the Nvidia one having a ClearType HD and the Intel one having a ClearType Full HD, meaning 1366x768 and 1920x1080 respectively.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6015/microsofts-major-announcement-in-la-were-there

I think someone also said 1366x768 is the minimum for Win8 RT (last couples pages), I forget why.

cnizzle06

Banned
My biggest issue with the iPad is that, at least for me, it felt more like a luxury item. This however feels more like a production than consumption product. I'm really feeling it.

AngryMoth

I have a lot of reservations but I'm excited to see Microsoft come up with a genuinely innovative product that could provide a much needed shake up to the market. Pen input is big selling point and it sounds like they've put a lot of effort into getting it right. The keyboard is a brilliant concept, and again they certainly made it sound like the execution is good as well. I haven't followed windows 8 closely yet but I like what I've seen of it as a tablet OS, again Microsoft(!) bringing some fresh and interesting ideas so that's another attractive feature.

Things I didn't like. The kickstand was pretty ugly I thought, in fact for all the talk about the quality of the hardware I was very ambivalent towards the design. I understand why they wanted a built in stand since you can't use the smart cover, but all I could think of was that the space would be better used for squeezing in more battery, which is surely going to be a big issue, especially for the pro. As with the price, it is very telling that they didn't talk about it. I remain very skeptical that x86 can work with a tablet. 16:9 is another turn off

Still, definitely a great event from MS and I'm excited to see how it turns out, certainly there is a lot of promise. I bet the OEMs are pissed, maybe this will make them come up with something decent for a change.

Juice

Basic: $550

Pro: $950

If somehow they could get the Pro to $750 with the basic down to $400, they'd take over the industry.

Yeah, I don't think that's true either. This is going to start off as a very niche product, and overcoming the iPad's gravitas to win over developers to actually come close to app quality parity is going to be a tremendous, if it's even surmountable, challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom