• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft surpasses Apple to become most valuable US company

Microsoft has become the most valuable US company with $753.3 billion in market capitalisation, riding past Apple for the first time since 2010 when it came close to the Cupertino-based tech giant.

Apple, which became the first $1-trillion US company in August, came down to $746.8 billion on Friday, owing to lower-than-expected iPhone sales amid reports of its suppliers cutting cost and workforce.

Amazon with $736.6 billion is currently at third and Alphabet (the parent company of Google) with $725.5 billion is at the fourth spot.

"With Microsoft now overshadowing all three, including Alphabet Inc, the firm now looks to be the most valuable tech company of the Silicon Valley giants," mspoweruser.com reported.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/artic...s-company-92140?amp&__twitter_impression=true

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wow. WTF? Haven't tracked the tech giants lately. Didn't know Apple stock has dropped like 20% lately.

At one time Apple was worth more than Microsoft by probably $200 billion.

Good to see MS do well. Love em or hate them, the company is run well and their revenue streams are diversified.

Apple is doing great ever since they got the mojo back with U2 promoting iPods. However, the vast majoirty of their sales/profits come from their phones and app fees. All the other stuff like Macs, tablets, watches are a fraction of their business model.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
this says more about apple losing value than Microsoft gaining value right? Either way that is a lot of money.
Both.

Comparing YTD stock prices, MS is up 20%, Apple is flat. Comparing stock prices the past 2 months, MS is down 10%, Apple is down 25%.

Some reason Apple skyrocketed during the summer, but then crash landed the past 2 months.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Both.

Comparing YTD stock prices, MS is up 20%, Apple is flat. Comparing stock prices the past 2 months, MS is down 10%, Apple is down 25%.

Some reason Apple skyrocketed during the summer, but then crash landed the past 2 months.

It’s been long overdue for Apple, their stock rally hinged on the fact that their ability to sustain and rise their phone ASPs seemed otherworldly. Now this update cycle has made reality settle in, with XS being no upgrade at all, and XR seemingly exceeding what “mainsteam buyers” are willing to pay.

The irony is that Apple has had probably its biggest super cycle year ever with brand new iPad Pro form factors, brand new Apple Watch form factors, brand new iPhone form factors, all new iMac Pro, Airpods crushing it, and even a new Mac Mini. The entire lineup is rock solid, but consumer willingness to pay more seems to have come to an end.

Combine this with the fact that almost any new business line will either look too small to move the stock price (smart speakers), stagnating in execution (car), or technologically unfeasible (AR).

So there is no growth story. And with no growth, share price lose the optimism premium.

HeresJohnny

yeah granted MS did some things to help their bottom line, but it's more about Apple dropping that low.
Yeah, Apple just corn holed themselves releasing too many phones at too high a price point and now they've been cutting orders to suppliers and their stock has been downgraded. They're still an amazing success story, as is Microsoft.

Hari Seldon

Their phones are too expensive and their laptops are not very good anymore. They need to lower their phone prices, release a small form factor model, and make their laptops competitive again with windows models in price and performance.

dirthead

Banned
this says more about apple losing value than Microsoft gaining value right? Either way that is a lot of money.

I think it says more about Microsoft being valued a little bit more accurately relative to Apple than anything else.

Microsoft is infrastructure. If they disappeared, it would cause real problems. Apple? They make toys. Laughably overvalued.

Oh, and Microsoft isn't a Silicon Valley company. No idea where that crap came from.

Last edited:

dionysus

Yaldog
Smartphones mirroring PC adoption and becoming a mature market. Consumers becoming more price sensitive and breaking out of the replace every 1 to 2 years. Also poor performance in China vs. Chinese companies.

Funny enough, MS had to deal with this very issue with Windows. The bridged the gap first with business services and Office business line, and diversified further into cloud, etc.

Going to be interesting to see if Apple can diversify successfully to justify their stock valuation.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
It’s been long overdue for Apple, their stock rally hinged on the fact that their ability to sustain and rise their phone ASPs seemed otherworldly. Now this update cycle has made reality settle in, with XS being no upgrade at all, and XR seemingly exceeding what “mainsteam buyers” are willing to pay.

The irony is that Apple has had probably its biggest super cycle year ever with brand new iPad Pro form factors, brand new Apple Watch form factors, brand new iPhone form factors, all new iMac Pro, Airpods crushing it, and even a new Mac Mini. The entire lineup is rock solid, but consumer willingness to pay more seems to have come to an end.

Combine this with the fact that almost any new business line will either look too small to move the stock price (smart speakers), stagnating in execution (car), or technologically unfeasible (AR).

So there is no growth story. And with no growth, share price lose the optimism premium.
The prices on all of the new products are outrageous. $800 starting price on Mac mini is ridiculous. $1,100 for the six core version is Insulting.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Smartphones mirroring PC adoption and becoming a mature market. Consumers becoming more price sensitive and breaking out of the replace every 1 to 2 years. Also poor performance in China vs. Chinese companies.

Funny enough, MS had to deal with this very issue with Windows. The bridged the gap first with business services and Office business line, and diversified further into cloud, etc.

Going to be interesting to see if Apple can diversify successfully to justify their stock valuation.
Office 365 has been a game changer. So many companies are tossing money at Microsoft to get off of on prem exchange and sharepoint and put them in the cloud.

Sony is the most valuable company in the world... I saw Sony TVs everywhere in Japan... I also saw PS4 Spiderman fly off the shelves but saw a wall of Microsoft keyboard during Black Fri... Sony, such a great company... Their market ticker (SNE) updates at an average 29.57 fps whereas Microsoft stutters along at 29.52 fps... Sony is smart to not go to E3... so much money saved... Poor Microsoft, catering to the fans... GamePass isn't real sales, so Sony dominates NPD.... I shudder to think about Polyphony releasing GT Sport: Championship Edition Beta in 2024.... Think about the Earth shattering sales... Cerny is a genius to be worshipped, as checkerboard engineering defeats chessboard any day... I'm buying another 1000 SNE shares tomorrow... Driveclub!

PSYGN

Sony is the most valuable company in the world... I saw Sony TVs everywhere in Japan... I also saw PS4 Spiderman fly off the shelves but saw a wall of Microsoft keyboard during Black Fri... Sony, such a great company... Their market ticker (SNE) updates at an average 29.57 fps whereas Microsoft stutters along at 29.52 fps... Sony is smart to not go to E3... so much money saved... Poor Microsoft, catering to the fans... GamePass isn't real sales, so Sony dominates NPD.... I shudder to think about Polyphony releasing GT Sport: Championship Edition Beta in 2024.... Think about the Earth shattering sales... Cerny is a genius to be worshipped, as checkerboard engineering defeats chessboard any day... I'm buying another 1000 SNE shares tomorrow... Driveclub!

lol

Kasumi70

Neo Member

I hope this is a joke post!

octiny

Banned

LOLOLOL

I understood that reference. Lol

Lort

Banned
What would all the Playstation fans do if Microsoft bought Sony.. then released all the games for all platforms?

Im sure they would be so happy that now everyone could enjoy the games they love so much.

Kerotan

It's amazing how close the top 4 are. Amazon, apple, Microsoft and Google. Anyone's guess who goes top next. My money is on Amazon.

FranXico

What would all the Playstation fans do if Microsoft bought Sony.. then released all the games for all platforms?

Im sure they would be so happy that now everyone could enjoy the games they love so much.
Release everything on the Windows Store? Sure.
Why stop there? Just buy both NVidia and AMD and rent out premium graphics cards with contract plans.

Monopolies are great!

/j (in case it wasn't obvious)

Last edited:

zwiggelbig

More and more peoole are realizing that apple is waaaay overpriced. It used to not be this bad atleast.. and their tech advantage is bare to non.. its a shame what happend to them since steve is gone.

FranXico

LMFAO

Lort

Banned

I was just about to say exactly that.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
serves apple well for charging crazy money for their iphones.
i love ios.

but 1399 euro for a phone is insane

phil_t98

#SonyToo

I think this post single handly killed of "HIM" commenting on this hahaha well done

Bryank75

Banned
It's heartening to see Xbox gamers excited about what really matters to them. I really find it hard to keep up with whether numbers matter this week or not, do I have to wait for NPD for numbers not to matter again?

KonradLaw

These market valuations are as realistic and stable as bitcoin/crypto prices. (not very).
They go down and up, but I don't think they're unrealistic. Microsoft is a company that generated 90 billion dollars revenue last year. And those revenue sources are pretty damn stable. So to see them valued at 700 billion isn't unrealistic

Top Bottom