• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft surpasses Apple to become most valuable US company

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Due to changes in outstanding share counts, Apple still leads Microsoft by $26 billion. This means Microsoft did not pass Apple in market cap as we reported, and others continue to report. Apple’s market cap is $817.6 billion, compared to Microsoft’s $791 billion. Our original story is below and we apologize for the error.

Saw this on one of Apple's leading news sites

https://9to5mac.com/2018/11/24/apple-market-cap-microsoft/

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It's heartening to see Xbox gamers excited about what really matters to them. I really find it hard to keep up with whether numbers matter this week or not, do I have to wait for NPD for numbers not to matter again?

Only matters when things are in their favor. But it's weird to compare it to Sony. It's like they're looking for a "win" somewhere.

It's heartening to see Xbox gamers excited about what really matters to them. I really find it hard to keep up with whether numbers matter this week or not, do I have to wait for NPD for numbers not to matter again?
Who cares about small irrelevant hardware numbers when they're most valuable company xd

Fbh

So people are starting to realise that to sends texts, watch YouTube videos , visit Instagram, googling something and taking selfies they don't need to buy a $1000+ phone every year ?

What would all the Playstation fans do if Microsoft bought Sony.. then released all the games for all platforms?

Im sure they would be so happy that now everyone could enjoy the games they love so much.

I don't know.

On one hand being able to play everything on PC would be nice.

On the other hand killing competition in the console market would ultimately be worse for consumers even if it makes business sense for MS.

Kinda funny to see people vouching for a monopoly only to "show them fanboys of the other console how much money the makers of my console have !!"

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
I have msft and sne shares, good 10 years for stock market, granted i got in only 2015, sitting on good profits, ps5 and xb2 pretty much paid up already.

First 4 posts are about Sony, pathetic. Give it a rest lol. You'd think Sony is paying some of these people with all the cheerleading they do here... fuck.

OT: More money more games please

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'm not a fan of Apple, so I welcome this with joy.

Apple did some shady things to get to 1 trillion, like buying huge portions of their own stock without necessity. It was never going to be sustained..

LordOfChaos

As a fan of Apple for two decades - good. In fact I hope the stock keeps going down so the lesson is really learned - hiking average selling points and nickel and diming existing customers for all they're worth isn't a valid growth tactic. Maybe investor unrest is the one thing that'll wake up Tim.

I know wall street demands constant revenue growth, but that's not the way, the only real way out is to make new products and new revenue streams.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never cared for Apple stuff as I always thought their stuff is overpriced with obsessed fans.

When it comes to electronics, I'll just buy whatever seems like a good bang for the buck. I've had Dell PCs, noname PC built from small stores, an HP too. Who cares. My laptop is fizzling out. The next one could be an Acer, Lenovo, Chris' Cock Computer don't really care. As long as i works well at a good price.

What I always found funny is Apple has a legion of fans based on being a rebel with different computer specs

Then comes Intel chips, dual boot OS (Windows/Excel), and what really put them on the map was iPod with U2 tv ads..... the most mainstream band in the world.

Apple catches fire as a mainstream band with TV ads promoting mass market appeal and somehow thos Apple fans convert to being among the masses when back in the 80s and 90s it was all about being different.

So much for that.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yea, I don't think Sony fans should compare to Microsoft on this front. It's simply apples to oranges. Microsoft has Windows. Sony has Playstation and some other less successful branches of the company.

It's appropriate that this thread is about Apple and Microsoft. Sony honestly shouldn't be a part of this conversation. Anybody who tries to insert them with the ill conceived notion that this past console generation means anything overall will be met with a very harsh reality.

Not picking sides...just speaking truth.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Never cared for Apple stuff as I always thought their stuff is overpriced with obsessed fans.

When it comes to electronics, I'll just buy whatever seems like a good bang for the buck. I've had Dell PCs, noname PC built from small stores, an HP too. Who cares. My laptop is fizzling out. The next one could be an Acer, Lenovo, Chris' Cock Computer don't really care. As long as i works well at a good price.

What I always found funny is Apple has a legion of fans based on being a rebel with different computer specs

Then comes Intel chips, dual boot OS (Windows/Excel), and what really put them on the map was iPod with U2 tv ads..... the most mainstream band in the world.

Apple catches fire as a mainstream band with TV ads promoting mass market appeal and somehow thos Apple fans convert to being among the masses when back in the 80s and 90s it was all about being different.

So much for that.
its a bit shallow to just wave off apple like that in a total,
they have some really good products like ipad / airpods ios is still way more stable&controlled than android.

i just don't like the pricing of some of their products. but a 2018 ipad for 299 with pen intake ? that is a hard beat

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
its a bit shallow to just wave off apple like that in a total,
they have some really good products like ipad / airpods ios is still way more stable&controlled than android.

i just don't like the pricing of some of their products. but a 2018 ipad for 299 with pen intake ? that is a hard beat
I didn't say their stuff is awful. Just overpriced.

I'll always remember when I bought this old laptop I'm using. It's a 17" Dell XPS. When I was scoping out laptops years back, this laptop was $1,100 cdn. A similar spec Macbook was $2,400.

It might make sense for MS, but Sony would have to want to be merged. Anything is possible, of course. We'll see in the next few years how things pan out.

Now that Sony isn't headquartered in Japan, all they have to do is convince shareholders it would be in their best interest to let Microsoft aquire the company. Since shareholders no longer look at long term investments, their eyes would be replaced with dollar signs and I'll finally be able to play Gears of Horizon: Infinite, or Forza Tourismo Sport: Horizon.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It might make sense for MS, but Sony would have to want to be merged. Anything is possible, of course. We'll see in the next few years how things pan out.
Makes zero sense for MS.

MS is a profit making machine that is almost all software based. The only key stuff that is hardware based is Xbox unit sales, and the gaming division is probably the worst performing division.

The only thing MS would be interested in is grabbing any studios Sony might axe.

MS would have zero interest in Sony TVs, semiconductors, music and movies and messing with insurance claims.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
Synthetic benchmarks and an environment of controlled applications don't count. Nice try.

Lol because benchmarks and application performance isnt exactly how everyone measures performance.

What score does the ipad pro get compared to a surface 6 on your completely fictious and non existant benchmark?

I_D

The stock market is crazy. Losing 350 BILLION dollars, just because your expectations were a bit too high, even though you still sold a ton of products.

I'm also surprised by Microsoft's value. Unless I've missed something, they haven't really released anything spectacular in a while; unless Windows 11 released when I wasn't looking. I believe it's true because it's right there in the article, but I still find it hard to believe, based on their evidence. The Azure Cloud is a hit? People actually buy Surface tablets? I thought those things were a joke.

Further evidence I'm getting old.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The stock market is crazy. Losing 350 BILLION dollars, just because your expectations were a bit too high, even though you still sold a ton of products.

I'm also surprised by Microsoft's value. Unless I've missed something, they haven't really released anything spectacular in a while; unless Windows 11 released when I wasn't looking. I believe it's true because it's right there in the article, but I still find it hard to believe, based on their evidence. The Azure Cloud is a hit? People actually buy Surface tablets? I thought those things were a joke.

Further evidence I'm getting old.
The crazy market happened 20 years ago when everyone started doing internet trading.

It wasn't like this in the 80s and most of the 90s.

Most companies didn't release news, you didn't have the net and CNBC gabbing about it, and if you wanted earnings news you had to research it on your own or hope the broker had the info..... which you had to pick up the phone and call and wait for the guy.

A company with good news and earnings might pop $1. Bad news maybe -$1.

Now it's more like +$18 and bad news sinks a company -30% or -$20 in 5 minutes in huge block trades.

High risk, high reward. Need to have a fast trigger finger.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Probably at $100 billion.
Stock would have increase another 50% to hit $100 B.

Fun facts using Yahoo Finance Dec 1, 1999 (tech hey day) vs now.

Apple
Dec 99 $19B (est)
Now $847B
About +45x!

Microsoft
Dec 99 $430B (est)
Now $851B
About +2x

Sony
Dec 99 $180B (est)
Now $68B
About -60%!

Nintendo
Dec 99 $20B (est)
Now $36B
About +80%

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think now is a good time to invest in Sony if you're a stock trader. I'm thinking with the momentum they have ending this gen, next gen is going to drum up investor confidence. Just ride the wave. Microsoft is a good bet too if you got the money to do it. All these acquisitions they are making have to look promising to investors. I don't trade stocks myself, mostly because I am not well off. Don't take advice from me though. Here's a couple of links:

Nasdaq recommends "Strong Buy" for Sony at the time of this writing
https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/sne/recommendations

Nasdaq recommends "Strong Buy" for Microsoft as well
https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/msft/recommendations

I'd buy Sony before Microsoft, personally. More shares and greater growth potential.

Last edited:
They go down and up, but I don't think they're unrealistic. Microsoft is a company that generated 90 billion dollars revenue last year. And those revenue sources are pretty damn stable. So to see them valued at 700 billion isn't unrealistic
They’ve regained their leadership role in tech. Pretty impressive Windows and Xbox haven’t kept them down. Apple is probably fucked until they get a new CEO, this guy doesn’t have any sort of vision.

NickFire

Is it some sort of rule not to ever give credit to MS?
LOL. The first sentence under the article title is "Apple, which became the first $1-trillion US company in August, came down to $746.8 billion, owing to lower-than-expected iPhone sales amid reports of its suppliers cutting cost and workforce."

So yeah, the other poster was right. The article says more about Apple losing over 250 billion in value than anything else. But that said, I can understand your reaction. MS does seem to get a bit more flak than I think they deserve from time to time.

entremet

Wall Street loves ARR, annual recurring revenue. And software services tend to be subscription products. I'm an Apple diehard, and they will be fine. But they are a consumer product company primarily. And consumer products, by their very nature, tend to elicit finicky buyer behavior. The new hotness 20 years ago is rarely the new hotness years later in the consumer space.

The business space, MS's bread and butter, is more predicable.

Last edited:

Bönthö

Neo Member
People really argue with wrong numbers when they compare MS and Sony as a whole on a discussion about games. MS is basically a very profitable software company. The main hitters of course are windows and office, which are giving that steady profit every year. Both office and windows basically have a monopoly on their respective fields and successful software is naturally profitable with low costs. Market value is basically calculated on operating income, not revenue.

MS gaming division isn't a huge part of the company
This year, MS revenue as a whole will be about 110B (MS gaming division is 10B, so about 9%)

Sony's revenue as a whole will be almost 80B this year (gaming division will will make about 19-20B of that, more than any other part of the company)

It makes zero sense for MS to buy Sony, bc their branches of industry only majorly compete in gaming, and it's not like Sony would be even willing to sell the most profitable part of the company.

Sony's gaming division is almost twice as big and more profitable than MS's at the moment, but MS is just way more profitable as a whole. This is where the major difference comes in market value. It doesn't mean that MS can just make their gaming division as big as they want to, companies don't work like that. You can't just transfer great amounts of resources from one part of the company to another at will. There's operation costs and fine tuned resource allocation. Of coures the resources overlap in some ways and investing is done on a company level, but generally these branches work as independent entitities. You wouldn't invest 20B to a gaming branch generating 10B, bc that said investment just can't be turned to a profit in a sensible time frame.

For the sake of comparison, MS bought LinkedIn for 26.2B and Skype for 8.5B, so it's not like gaming even is their major focus.

Nikodemos

They’ve regained their leadership role in tech. Pretty impressive Windows and Xbox haven’t kept them down. Apple is probably fucked until they get a new CEO, this guy doesn’t have any sort of vision.
Well, Tim Cook was brought in to hold the course past Jobs's death, but he seems to have overstayed his welcome. The product line, while not necessarily bloated (though Jobs would have probably culled some products), has the double issue of their pricing policy and the somewhat stagnating corporate perspective on designs.

Looking at the stuff locally available in my neck of the woods, I'll rate them thusly:
- Mac-anything: Between the overheating issues, the throttling issues, the build quality issues (not particularly common, but absolutely unacceptable for the price point), the limited-to-no customization, and their horrendous warranty clauses: fuck no, regardless of how 'smooth' the operating environment might be.

- iPad: The new Pro is insanely powerful. It's mind-boggling how far Apple tablets have outpaced their Android counterparts, both in brute force and feature set. This power comes with a staggering pricetag, however, and structural integrity leaves something to be desired. Its thinness coupled with its chassis design makes it the most fragile iPad to date. The entry-level iPad (6th-gen) is uncharacteristically low-priced for an Apple product, but they couldn't help themselves piss on the poors once more: it uses the crappy old Air 2 Touch ID sensor and its anemic tinny speakers. It also has a painfully cheap shitty screen which reflects even the tiniest amount of light. And they seriously couldn't put the iPhone 7 Plus SoC inside it? Did they really have to use the 2 GB RAM one? It's not even being cheap anymore; it's being miserly. iPad Mini 4: ROFLMAO. Grab a 64 GB Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 instead, if you consider a compact tablet is what you want.

- iPhone: The A12 is a class-leading SoC, hamstrung by the constraints of a phone chassis, and hobbled by Apple's internal app speed governor (part of their policy regarding uniformitizing user experience across multiple product generations). The prices are several levels of awful; with a corollary effect that Apple hasn't dropped iPhone 7 and 8 prices (when your flagships are so insanely overpriced, your lower end models start looking like good value) as much as they would have done with other 'twilight' models in the past. There is no iPad 6 equivalent in the phone section. There is no iPhone 7 SE version.

- Watch: Don't have a specific opinion on it; I generally consider smartwatches a fashion accessory rather than an actual consumer electronic product.

- iPod Touch: *ButWhy.gif* Their decision to delete the small form-factor iPods from the lineup while keeping the Touch is one I believe Jobs would have opposed; I think he would have been more likely to delete the Touch while keeping the Nano (in its classic 6th Gen micro size) and/or Shuffle.

[Dons flameproof suit]

Last edited:
Top Bottom