• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft teases for E3 with countdown: "And it's on..."

I wonder if Sony will respond with a similar countdown or tease.

They already launched a countdown to the new The Last Guardian trailer here:

infinity.gif

Sid

I think MS will try everything to push sony out of the market this generation.

Now that the xbox has proven it self MS will do the next logical step in the cycle and start tossing crazy amounts of money around to screw competitors.

Its the Microsoft way.

On the top of my list I expect next gen COD to be exclusive for at least the first year and a big exclusive from a japanese publisher. Maybe they get Monster Hunter.

Microsoft have the crash to spend a few hundred million securing exclusives if they think it will do huge damage to the competition. see every product they have made over the last 30 years that has had major competition as a example.
They always had the money,why didn't they do all of that in the latter half of this gen?

Who did MS abandon? The core gaming output is basically the same as it has always been.

They abandoned people who didn't care much for Microsoft's franchises in the first place.

its solid and should be achievable.
the worst thing that could happen would be a lineup thats mostly kinect 2 titles. i still dont believe we will get kinect + the new console as a bundle. no way ms is going to sell this thing for over 400$ or take a huge loss per system.

Kinect being bundled in doesn't necessarily need to translate into a big cost increase for Microsoft. The hardware could remain very similar to the current Kinect, if not identical, and that's not very costly to produce. It could still see a big increase in functionality, partly through better software and recognition libraries, and partly because the host hardware (that does most of the processing) will be much more powerful and bereft of performance-crippling bottlenecks.

Yes we all know they focused on bite sized gaming with xbla.

There's nothing bite-sized about XBLA anymore.

Bgamer90

Banned
They always had the money,why didn't they do all of that in the latter half of this gen?

Because it's hard for new retail IPs to do well when there's a ton of already well established "AAA" multiplatform and exclusive games that it would have to compete with during the last few years of a gaming gen.

The rich get richer from being smart with their money.

I assume Sony will evolve PSN+, which Microsoft will need to react to in some way. Hopefully anyway.

I'm hoping for a tiered service. silver or free as it's now known is, well, free. free online multiplayer, access to apps and so on. gold becomes the entry tier for subscribers, early access to demos and some discounts along with exclusive access to could saving and other features that could be put behind a paywall and then there's the platinum or hardcore gamer tier where you get free games per month along with heavy discounting on some games and access to certain betas, maybe even cloud gaming or dedicated servers in certain multuplayer games.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I hope Smartglass actually becomes useful next gen.

Bizazedo

I assume Sony will evolve PSN+, which Microsoft will need to react to in some way. Hopefully anyway.

Generally companies evolve when there is financial incentive to do so. I think free PSN helped Sony stay in the race, but obviously Live is making Microsoft $$ and not preventing them from "winning", sooooo....

We'll see.

If anything, I'd more expect to see Sony move in Live's direction.

Because it's hard for new retail IPs to do well when there's a ton of already well established "AAA" multiplatform and exclusive games that it would have to compete with during the last few years of a gaming gen.

I don't know, dishonoured, sleeping dogs to name just two seemed to do really well late into the gen. if the ip is appealing enough, it will attract the masses.

I see SmartGlass quietly fading away into irrevelancy unfortunately.

more games are supporting it though, even if it just general info, etc.

I can see it being a bigger deal next gen, more games being designed with smartglass in mind should see it evolve and improve.using it to display the map in forza horizon looked great, more of that would be very nice.

Raven77

If MS talks about "services" and "media features" at an equal length that they talk about GAMES, then they will lose me as a customer.

I bought an xbox and xbox 360 to game.

I do NOT want to use my 360 to view pictures, etc. etc.

OVER HALF of the "media features" my 360 has are BUILT INTO MY DANG T.V.!!!

Alx

You know you don't have to, right ?
As for myself I do not want to use my 360 to browse the net or connect to Facebook. But I don't mind if the option is there for others to enjoy.

Sid

They've been struggling in japan throughout this gen.

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't know, dishonoured, sleeping dogs to name just two seemed to do really well late into the gen. if the ip is appealing enough, it will attract the masses.

It's definitely not impossible but it's also at the same time much harder than it would be to introduce them during the start of a gen when there isn't much competition.

When a console exclusive is good during the early part of a gen, that game becomes a reason for people to buy the console. This then sets up the game to become a series with multiple iterations.

Also, those games (the ones that you mentioned) being multiplatform helped get more people to give them a chance obviously. It's harder for console exclusives.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
You know you don't have to, right ?
As for myself I do not want to use my 360 to browse the net or connect to Facebook. But I don't mind if the option is there for others to enjoy.

Yeah, but that's not always necessarily true. It can be more of a substitute than a complement.

If MS talks about "services" and "media features" at an equal length that they talk about GAMES, then they will lose me as a customer.

Then I'm afraid you won't buy a console at all. Media connectivity and options will play a huge role in next-gen consoles. And I don't mind, because the Xbox 360 is still a gaming machine that had media functions.

pestul

Don't set yourself up for disappointment like that. Of course MS is going to dedicate a lot of time to media features with the next system. I have 4 devices that have 'Smart' features already connected to my tv, but if the next MS system does it all better than my current setup, I would gladly utilize it in that way. I think they understand how important the gamer still is to the Xbox brand as well.

Karak

It is a good question but it bears out that the 360 and its tech just can't handle the integration needed and so you get a hodgepodge of items and technology. MS, internally, have already pushed the "ballz out" or "go for blood" mentality since a couple months ago. The attitude has been there the tech is just now there.

Man, Microsoft really wants to go for blood it seems. If they change the Live model, I might be interested.
This is one thing I haven't heard about from he person I talk to. Especially subscription and its prices.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Too bad, these things are here to stay. Consoles have become more than just devices to play videogames on.
My PS3 is a beast of an entertainment device, and even my dad owns one purely because it's a great media / bluray player.

angelfly

Then I'm afraid you won't buy a console at all. Media connectivity and options will play a huge role in next-gen consoles. And I don't mind, because the Xbox 360 is still a gaming machine that had media functions.

MS unfortunately is now looking at it as a STB that also plays. I guess we'll have to wait for E3 to see if their focus has gone back to games as the primary function.

It's definitely not impossible but it's also at the same time much harder than it would be to introduce them during the start of a gen when there isn't much competition.

When a console exclusive is good during the early part of a gen, that game becomes a reason for people to buy the console. This then sets up the game to become a series with multiple iterations.

Also, those games (the ones that you mentioned) being multiplatform helped get more people to give them a chance obviously. It's harder for console exclusives.

now that you mention it, the last few ips sony released this late haven't really set the charts on fire. I suppose microsoft did the right thing in that sense, focusing on third party exclusive downloadable content and smaller exclusives on live arcade.

Raven77

Some of you are just easy to please I guess. Me, I take it personally when a company stabs me in the back. As a fan of an Intellectual Property, when you purchase products of that property you are essentially "buying into" it. As in, you give the company money for the work they've done, profit, and future work they will produce.

I take it personally when myself, along with millions of other gamers, have the money and faith we've invested in a company wasted on stuff we obviously don't want, while we're expected to have old franchises with little innovation or changes shoveled out annually.

If at least one of the next gen consoles isn't "gamer focused", you will continue to see massive declines in gaming sales year over year, month over month, just like we're seeing right now.

Their is a sales-proven correlation between moving away from the gamer focus and a decrease in sales. The financial data backs this up so don't bother arguing with me over it, I don't feel like going and pulling month over month sales numbers that are already posted on GAF every month with the NPD, etc. results.

Sid

It is a good question but it bears out that the 360 and its tech just can't handle the integration needed and so you get a hodgepodge of items and technology. MS, internally, have already pushed the "ballz out" or "go for blood" mentality since a couple months ago. The attitude has been there the tech is just now there.
When it comes to securing huge exclusives the integration or the tech wouldn't matter since the 360 is about as powerful as a PS3.

Karak

When it comes to securing huge exclusives the integration or the tech wouldn't matter since the 360 is about as powerful as a PS3.

Sorry about that. I thought you were talking about media features and so forth not games. I read that wrong got my posts mixed up.

now that you mention it, the last few ips sony released this late haven't really set the charts on fire. I suppose microsoft did the right thing in that sense, focusing on third party exclusive downloadable content and smaller exclusives on live arcade.

It really did work out for them well in the long run and allowed them to offset owning devs and the huge costs associated with that and take "some" of that cash and get the items you list like exclusive expansions early and so forth.

Some of you are just easy to please I guess. Me, I take it personally when a company stabs me in the back. As a fan of an Intellectual Property, when you purchase products of that property you are essentially "buying into" it. As in, you give the company money for the work they've done, profit, and future work they will produce.

I take it personally when myself, along with millions of other gamers, have the money and faith we've invested in a company wasted on stuff we obviously don't want, while we're expected to have old franchises with little innovation or changes shoveled out annually.

All of the three have disappointed me in that way (and many others). What do I do, quit gaming altogether?

pestul

If at least one of the next gen consoles isn't "gamer focused", you will continue to see massive declines in gaming sales year over year, month over month, just like we're seeing right now.

Their is a sales-proven correlation between moving away from the gamer focus and a decrease in sales. The financial data backs this up so don't bother arguing with me over it, I don't feel like going and pulling month over month sales numbers that are already posted on GAF every month with the NPD, etc. results.
I know what you're saying. E3 presentations, although a huge part of GAF culture and the gaming mindset, is still really to get your systems features out to the media. If Xbox brand was purely a kick-ass gaming platform and nothing else.. I'm sure the media would lambaste it highlighting what the other systems are capable of. You are right though, we already have dozens of devices that can handle media in a traditional sense, we just have to accept that MS wants a piece of that pie as well.

iceatcs

I just wondering what it countdown for?
I know it finish at E3, but is that mean we won't get any official news from MS until E3?

iceatcs

I'm starting to think that as well. Yeah, Major Nelson's countdown is exciting, but does anyone else think that the system (possibly both) might be revealed before E3 this year?

I can see both will doing that, both done before. The question is how much before.

There's nothing bite-sized about XBLA anymore.

Going off topic, sometimes that's not a good thing, I saw the 2+gb download size for Double Dragon Neo demo and just couldn't be bothered to see what the fuss is about. Probably a mental block.

If that's going to be the norm they should do what they do for retail games and have a specific demo version instead of the whole game with a lock on demo mode. I guess it's probably easier for them this way and prevents too many ppl downloading anything without any serious intent to purchase (downloads/bandwidth costs money after all and they want to prevent frivolous downloads). Or this could all be baseless assumptions.

I just don't want any more ads than necessary. . . there was already a thread on Sony looking into advertising too for next gen.

The evolution of XLB will be interesting to watch. I wonder if MS will raise the price for XBL gold subs.

I'm starting to think that as well. Yeah, Major Nelson's countdown is exciting, but does anyone else think that the system (possibly both) might be revealed before E3 this year?

Definitely. Both will be revealed before E3.

Raven77

I guess I just miss the old days when gaming was for true gamers without companies trying to please "all of the people, all of the time".

My last hope?

Steambox

It is my hope because if it is soley (or mostly) dedicated to gaming, and gets released and takes the market by storm, it will send a clear message that devices released with a clear focus on games is still a financially viable product for companies to release.

I guess I just miss the old days when gaming was for true gamers without companies trying to please "all of the people, all of the time".

My last hope?

Steambox

It is my hope because if it is soley (or mostly) dedicated to gaming, and gets released and takes the market by storm, it will send a clear message that devices released with a clear focus on games is still a financially viable product for companies to release.

Ugh. Go away.

As a true gamer I hate this bs.

Alx

Ugh. Go away.

As a true gamer I hate this bs.

Yeah, "true gamers" also like to watch movies, listen to music, browse the net, chat with people,... if a single device can do all that, why not ?
Old consoles had a single purpose not because it was better, but because that's all that the technology allowed them to do. As soon as other media features were possible, they were included, and appreciated by the users (listening to music on the PSX, watching movies on the Saturn, browsing the net on the Dreamcast...).

People are waiting for a Steambox ? The current "steambox" is the PC, which is the most versatile device on the market. And steam players still appreciate it as a great gaming platform, even the best one for many.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment

Well, Sony as a company is in a much worse position right now than they were at the start of this gen so Microsoft could try to be opportunistic. I don't think Sony will fall though.

alphaNoid

Banned

This isnt 1995 any more, even Nintendo is incorporating media features into the WiiU. All 3 companies are focusing on media features now, get over it.. its never going to be like it was. Consumers expect more from their electronics in 2013 and beyond .. you are the very, very, very small minority of consumers who is angry for some weird reason and yelling at nothing.

grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg

My last hope?

Steambox

LOL, Steam has been selling Applications and non gaming related media for awhile. Valve is doing the same thing MS, Nintendo and Sony are doing as well. Wake up.

Top Bottom