• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to hold a "small" Surface event | 20/5/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero3000

Liverstream: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2014/may14/05-20webcast.aspx

se0fJ5I.png

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/05/microsoft-surface-event-may-20/
http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/5/5685186/microsoft-will-hold-a-small-surface-event-on-may-20th

Rumours:
  • Surface Mini (name is a placeholder)
  • 7.5" Screen
  • 1440*1080 4:3
  • WACOM digitiser
  • Windows RT
  • Expect prices in line with the iPad Mini (but with more storage)

• Surface Pro 3 (possible new product line alongside Pro 2)
  • >11" Screen
  • WACOM digitiser
  • Windows 8.1
  • Expect multiple processor/ram/storage options at prices $800+

Sounds like they are fully going down the productivity route. A small tablet with a proper stylus and OneNote would make an excellent (business) notebook.

Nero3000

Isn't the (non-Apple) tablet market crashing?

The tablet market overall is levelling off. My view on this is that people are not upgrading tablets as frequently as phones, so sales won't emulate the growth pattern of smartphones.

That and people pay full price of tablets rather than a obscured subsidised price.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Serious question, what x86 apps are you going to run on a 7.5" screen?

any tablet apps that run well on the ipad mini.

if they push the productivity angle, you could use the digitiser and stylus for painting/illustration/photo work; you could connect it up to a computer and have it as a second screen with palettes etc on, leaving your PC monitor free of clutter; you could use it for note taking with onenote, then sync up with your work laptop.

plenty of stuff you can do with it.

Personally I think I'll always prefer the larger form factor, but choice is good.

Nero3000

any tablet apps that run well on the ipad mini.

No x86 apps run on the iPad mini.

if they push the productivity angle, you could use the digitiser and stylus for painting/illustration/photo work;

Your right on this one. Is the performance acceptable on BayTrail?

you could connect it up to a computer and have it as a second screen with palettes etc on, leaving your PC monitor free of clutter;

Are there x86 apps that do this?

you could use it for note taking with onenote, then sync up with your work laptop.

You can do this with RT. (if your work doesn't block it)

I can see why people would prefer x86 but living with a Surface Pro for daily use, I don't see Windows RT as that much of a detriment.

Especially, on a small screen, all I would use is the browser and Office - and both of those are exceptional on Windows (RT & 8.1).

ZehDon

They lost over a billion dollars on the Surface RT... I feel like I'm missing something. If the rumours are true, this is little more than a marginal improvement in a market that appears to have plateaued. Unless they've got something up their sleeve, it seems Microsoft is still clueless. Still, I wish I had so much extra money that I could burn a billion dollars. And when the smoke clears, think "Fuck it - let's do that again!".

Fake edit:
stoptryingfetch.png

Paganmoon

I was thinking about it but then I've heard from multiple sources that the build quality on that thing is absolutely horrendous. : /

Haven't experienced the Venue 8, but the Venue 11, and that one has poor buildquality aswell imo. Haven't found anything close to the Surface Pro 2 in buildquality.

zhao3gold

Banned
x86 apps are not optimized for touch interface and some of them cannot be run smoothly by atom CPU therefore bring negative using experience. I would prefer RT than x86 8.1 for Surface Mini.

jelly

The only thing holding back Surface RT is the apps. A big piece of the puzzle though. Superb device and feature set otherwise.

Glad they aren't rumored to have stuck with widescreen for this.

Walshicus

x86 apps are not optimized for touch interface and some of them cannot be run smoothly by atom CPU therefore bring negative using experience. I would prefer RT than x86 8.1 for Surface Mini.

I thought I'd miss desktop apps a lot more than I ended up when I bought a Surface 2 (RT). Most of the time I'm only on the desktop for Excel and Powerpoint though. I've got my SNES emulator through the Marketplace so that's *that* covered.

That said, I am looking into some of these hacks that unlock desktop apps (properly compiled for ARM of course). Anyone here using it?

I got my wife an RT a while back, as a replacement for her Vaio laptop. She never complained about not having the "full x86" experience, she can browse news and fashion, do e-banking, chat using Skype, use Office with the built-in license... it's perfect for living room use.

Serious question, what x86 apps are you going to run on a 7.5" screen?

Same thing I thought when I got my Dell Venue Pro.

But the serious answer: All of them.

DVP+Stylus makes x86 Windows apps a non issue. That and there are far more fullscreen x86 apps that operate very similarly to what a tablet app would be. Chrome for example. Steam too.

Windows RT may be OK but all of those apps run just as good or better on W8.1 with ULV i3/Atom now.

Paganmoon

I actually think the 10.6" screen of the Surface Pro 2 is perfect, bigger would just be too bulky to have as a tablet.

I actually think the 10.6" screen of the Surface Pro 2 is perfect, bigger would just be too bulky to have as a tablet.

Agreed. Can understand people wanting a *new* larger model, but not at the expense of the existing form factor.

As somebody who would use a Pro primarily for digital art, I haven't bitten yet because 10" is just a wee bit too small. I mean shit, I'm still using a goddamn Wacom PL500. Give me an extra 2" and I'll make the jump. Or reduce the border around the screen and use some of that surface area.

Paganmoon

As somebody who would use a Pro primarily for digital art, I haven't bitten yet because 10" is just a wee bit too small. I mean shit, I'm still using a goddamn Wacom PL500. Give me an extra 2" and I'll make the jump. Or reduce the border around the screen and use some of that surface area.

Agreed. Can understand people wanting a *new* larger model, but not at the expense of the existing form factor.

Yeah, I don't think they should change the form factor, but at the same time I don't want them to add another to the mix, will just be even more hell with the accessories for us Euros. (We don't get all of them here, and we'd probably get even less if they added another form factor).

For bigger screens etc., there's always Lenovo Helix/Yoga. Think Microsoft should have a very focused line for the Surface. At least until they've got enough market share to matter, so that all accessories are available everywhere.

Phoenix

Isn't the (non-Apple) tablet market crashing?

No. The market that drives that market is different and the replacement rate is a lot lower. Its far closer to historical PC growth rate than phones. There just aren't applications in that market (yet) that are driving upgrades. Its been a spec fest for years now with price being the driver for purchase. Samsung and Apple have been more solution centric and if Microsoft follows that path the can eek a good living in the growing productivity space where current tablets don't play well.

I might be interested in this, if the digitizer and design of the tablet is good. I got my GF a Venue 8 Pro and don't think I'd really benefit from x86 apps on a small device like that. That said, they really have to launch with a load of creative apps from iOS developers to drum up any real interest. A port of Paper by 54 would be ace.

I'd really rather not buy the 8" Asus with Wacom, simply because it looks so bland, boring and got the Asus logo on the front. Ewww.

MarkusRJR

Depending on how it looks, I might upgrade from my current Surface RT, which has been having performance issues. I'm already used to it being not that past, but now the browser crashes or goes unresponsive on YouTube for no reason.

Hopefully this will be an upgrade in terms of specs or I might be stuck waiting for the Surface 3. Surface 2 is just too expensive for the spec boost.

Syncytia

[*] 1440*1080 4:3
[*] WACOM digitiser

I really doubt both of these at the same time for $400 (if it comes in the same as an iPad mini). A good active digitizer would be huge though, but I can't help but think the smaller screen will still put people off. I sometimes wish for more space with my Surface Pro, although I'm not sure I would ever buy a larger version if it was made.

Really Apple, just put an active digitizer in the iPad with a good note taking program and you have my money.

Nero3000

The pro has already been silently refreshed with slightly updated processors... Too early for broadwell.

Could be surface mini pro...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom