• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to hold a "small" Surface event | 20/5/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

$1549? Daaaaaaamn :( wish it was just a bit less... could see myself totally replacing my MBA with it, just would need to spend a bunch on accessories to laptopify it fully.

Blackhead

Redarse
Well it can turn on the device from far away, so it has a battery in the pen this time. And he mentioned only 256 levels of pressure.
humph. Will wait for official specs and reviews

Just for fun:

MBA 13" 1.7 GHz dual core i7 8 GB RAM 256 GB SSD = $1449

SP3 i7 8GB RAM 256 GB SSD + SP Type Cover $1549+$130 = $1679

(I realize there are other differences.)

Apple charges $300 tax for the 512 SSD upgrade
MS is charging a $400 tax for the 512 SSD upgrade

Seems 'pretty cheap' to compare it to the MBA and not the MBP Retina

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Makes no sense... :/
The Pro should have it...

That's a spec that others can use over it...
Even the iPad 1 has that...

You can't just stick a sim card in an iPad, you have to buy one with 3g on board and it is an additional cost. Further, this is not a simple tablet, it's a reasonably powerful all purpose machine. Finally you can easily add cell connectivity via USB or wireless tethering.

Raistlin

Missed it.

No Mini I take it? RT is finally dead?
Is suspect RT is not dead or dying. It and WP are being merged into a single OS.

I'm really disappointed about the lack of a mini, but I wonder if they are waiting for the merge Windows 9)?

MutFox

Banned
You can't just stick a sim card in an iPad, you have to buy one with 3g on board and it is an additional cost. Further, this is not a simple tablet, it's a reasonably powerful all purpose machine. Finally you can easily add cell connectivity via USB or wireless tethering.

Don't want any further bulk, just want it internal and the company i work for can pay for my data.
A lot of tablets on the market have the ability.

Even some windows tablet/laptop hybrids have this.
Not sure why there isn't a version being put out by MS.

Also don't need MS defense force saying it's not needed, because it's good enough...

MCD

Microsoft Chief Executive Officer Satya Nadella and Executive Vice President Stephen Elop decided that the product in development wasn’t different enough from rivals and probably wouldn’t be a hit, said one of the people, who asked not to be identified because the plans weren’t public. Engineers had been working on the device and had planned to unveil it as early as today at an event in New York, two of the people said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...-back-off-plans-to-debut-smaller-surface.html

Satya isn't playing around.

The mini should run WP8.1 anyway.
RT's only saving grace is IE Modern. If I had to use the WP8.1 browser on a tablet I'd kill myself. Not that it's that bad but IE Modern on Windows 8/RT is just that good.

Edit: I also love the Snap feature on my RT tablet. Dammit, sooo many things can and will go wrong when MS merges RT with Phone. The Mini really should have been introduced and sold. I really don't see the merged OS ready for prime time for another year.

dem

RT is not dying..

RT is the future of windows..

The way they present RT will certainly change though.

No fucking Mini with a stylus. I knew Microsoft would find a way to ruin my birthday. Someone get me that fucking puppy to kick around.

Look, all I want is an 8" tablet with a 4:3 form factor and a stylus, running OneNote.
The Surface Mini was supposed to be that and rumored for a long time and rumored for this event specifically.
Microsoft's fault for failing on RT. Consumers never understood the difference and MS never educated them. WTF does RT mean anyway? Horrible Windows 8 launch plagued wonderful devices.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Microsoft's fault for failing on RT. Consumers never understood the difference and MS never educated them. WTF does RT mean anyway? Horrible Windows 8 launch plagued wonderful devices.
RunTime. (metro runs on WinRT, Windows Runtime.).

cool_dude

Banned
I use the Surface Pro 2 for my presentations at work. Very handy to be able to draw and explain concepts with my Powerpoints. The bigger screen on this new machine will likely increase productivity, but size is a tradeoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom