• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to skip Tokyo Game Show 2015

Occam

Wait. You really believe Microsoft moneyhatted Cave for the 2D shooters?

I have no idea which incentives were given to which developers and if Cave did receive anything, but I have no doubt incentives were given, leading to 2D shooters coming to 360 early on. Which led to most of those small 2D shooting developers who lacked resources to support multiple platforms to go to 360. Which in turn led to the result I described before.

Of course not! It was packed to the rafters!

BwqUcx7IgAE0WTK.jpg

This is the worst phothoshop ever!

I agree with this. Microsoft's initial money-hats hastened the death of traditional 2D shooters in Japan because they were kept from reaching a larger audience. Which is a shame. Hardcore fans bought 360s in Japan to play Cave shooters, while at the same time the genre vanished from the view of everyone else. This is one instance where money-hatting had a tangible adverse effect. I sincerely hope that Japanese niche developers have learned the lesson.
Well it's combination of Sony running after them like dogs, and what happened last gen, but it's pretty apparent they have learned. I still don't know how much it will mean for Japan, but maybe that country can use a phoenix down and improve for this gen. It's looking dire.
Never said "japan only".

A japanese software house gains money also for foreign sales.

Still, see no point in your discussion. If Microsoft paid for timed exclusives, the software houses got money, so they were not damaged and released their games on PS3 later. Nothing to do with the japanese market crysis.
No I totally understand this logic. They were paid and clearly didn't feel the hit, that's why almost none other than SE AAA jRPGs are coming on Xbox this generation. It's all because they were so happy with the business that happened last generation.

While there's something to be said about not copy/pasting the entire article, I think the bit that implies MS will host their own event is important ...

They really think there's enough interest to warrant their own show, without having all the other products on-hand to draw people in?

I mean, I know they're going to be overshadowed by Sony and probably even Nintendo in terms of Japanese-centric line-ups for the holiday season, but it's still probably better to have people see your line-up as opposed to the quite likely instance of it being ignored entirely off on its own. They're probably going to get dropped by some retailers entirely if they have no floor presence.

crinale

Having very little difference between PS3 and Xbox360 versions for many third party games (I know there were differences but Japanese average Joe never cared), Xbox360 booth was known to get hands on new multiplat games with less waiting time at TGS. Looks like it won't be happening any more..

Begaria

..Sony isn't? Why the fuck not?

The changes to E3 and Gamescom time tables:
- E3 took place one week later from prior year,
- Gamescom was (edit:)brought forward one week from prior year (hurrah for corrections)

Meaning E3 and Gamescom were closer to each other, which Sony felt didn't give them enough time to properly prepare for a conference, so they said, "Fuck it, let's do it at Paris Games Week" which takes place on October 27th:

http://www.vg247.com/2015/05/06/sony-gamescom-2015-paris-games-week-ps4/

Hastati

Microsoft actually had a huge amount of floorspace in 2013 and 2014, and there were tons of people milling about amidst the booth babes last year (standing in line for a photo is still a big thing...). TGS is an opportunity to get exposure to a huge number of people in a short amount of time, but the problem seems to me that the public that goes there is more interested in the event itself and less the products being advertised. There were lots of people going there on dates ...

That being said, it's interesting that they won't have any presence in the business half at all.

As long as they stay competitive, the Japanese third-parties will still come to them, because they'll need to reach the Western gamers if they want to still make console games (for the most part).
That makes no sense. Western gamers flocked to PS4 in droves, including many 360 owners from the previous generation. Japanese 3rd parties have no need for Xbone this time around.

1.6m vs 50k in Japan?
I would call Japan where they are losing the most percentage wise.

They are, but anything short of several lightning in a bottle isn't going to help them in a tangible way when it comes to the Japanese market.

And even if assuming they manage to carve something out of Japan, it's still a single country's install base. One country who's gaming taste is notably less global than the rest of the world, and leans very heavily on domestically developed products and well-known IPs.

1.6m vs 50k in Japan?
I would call Japan where they are losing the most percentage wise.

I assume he means losing the most sales generation-over-generation. X-Box as a brand has never had much power in Japan, but it did have some sway in Europe. The XB1's Japanese performance isn't really surprising anyone.

Their Japanese sales have always been so abysmal that they've been justified in pulling out of TGS entirely for years. The only perplexing thing here is that they're apparently thinking about doing their own solo gig in the country instead.

The changes to E3 and Gamescom time tables:
- E3 took place one week later from prior year,
- Gamescom was pushed back one week from prior year

Meaning E3 and Gamescom were closer to each other, which Sony felt didn't give them enough time to properly prepare for a conference, so they said, "Fuck it, let's do it at Paris Games Week" which takes place on October 27th:

http://www.vg247.com/2015/05/06/sony-gamescom-2015-paris-games-week-ps4/

I think you mean brought forward one week.

It also helps that October 27th is the ideal time to announce a price drop.

Alo0oy

Banned
I assume he means losing the most sales generation-over-generation. X-Box as a brand has never had much power in Japan, but it did have some sway in Europe. The XB1's Japanese performance isn't really surprising anyone.

Their Japanese sales have always been so abysmal that they've been justified in pulling out of TGS entirely for years. The only perplexing thing here is that they're apparently thinking about doing their own solo gig in the country instead.

Xbox didn't have any power in EU either, the PS3 launched 1.5 years after the X360 in EU, & still managed to dominate the market there.

Xbox One needs Gran Turismo to be relevant in EU.

They are, but anything short of several lightning in a bottle isn't going to help them in a tangible way when it comes to the Japanese market.

And even if assuming they manage to carve something out of Japan, it's still a single country's install base. One country who's gaming taste is notably less global than the rest of the world, and leans very heavily on domestically developed products and well-known IPs.

Ok, I was wondering why he said that, thanks guys.

I still think Japan is a major market for PS4, If we go 8 years into the future PS4 would be at 10m vs. 100k for XB1 (Assuming PS4 sells like PS3 Gen)

Xbox didn't have any power in EU either, the PS3 launched 1.5 years after the X360 in EU, & still managed to dominate the market there.

Xbox One needs Gran Turismo to be relevant in EU.

I'm not sure you fully appreciate how poorly the 360 did in Japan.

ZhugeEX

Banned
The Xbox One has been put 10 months in Japan and still hasn't sold more than the Xbox 360 sold on day 1.

I still think Japan is a major market for PS4, If we go 8 years into the future PS4 would be at 10m vs. 100k for XB1 (Assuming PS4 sells like PS3 Gen)

No way haha. PS4 wont sell 10 million in 8 years lol!

Ok, I was wondering why he said that, thanks guys.

Japan is still a major console gaming market. It's just that it's no longer in the console glory days where Japan as a single country more than matches many countries combined.

Alo0oy

Banned
I'm not sure you fully appreciate how poorly the 360 did in Japan.

I know how poorly it did in Japan, but that's the point, doing better than Japan in EU isn't a bragging right, they're doing abysmally there, & by extension the rest of the world, because usually the gaming taste & habits of the RotW matches up with EU.

The Xbox One has been put 10 months in Japan and still hasn't sold more than the Xbox 360 sold on day 1.

Doesn't it sell like 600k every YTD?

True that would put it a 6 million if we go 8 years from now but we aren't factoring in all the JRPG's Verendus rumored plus the one we already know about. That might push something idk xD

Alo0oy

Banned

At its current yearly average, exactly 8 years from now PS4 would have sold 9.5 million. But that's useless since we're not taking into account the hardware boost from games like FFXV, KH13, & DQXI, but we're also not taking into account the decreasing sales in the latter couple of years.

Doesn't it sell like 600k every YTD?

So far it's averaging 1 million every year, but the sample size isn't big enough either way, so the yearly average could be either higher or lower.

I know how poorly it did in Japan, but that's the point, doing better than Japan in EU isn't a bragging right, they're doing abysmally there, & by extension the rest of the world, because usually the gaming taste & habits of the RotW matches up with EU.

I... what?

No, the point is that the 360 actually did quite well in Europe compared to how it performed in Japan. The difference between the 360 and XB1's performance in Europe has been quite concerning for Microsoft. The difference between the 360 and XB1's performance in Japan has probably been disappointing, but hardly surprising.

As such, the poster above postulated that they should be focusing on trying to recover the European market, where they at least once held a decent amount of market share, rather than bothering with a market where they have never been more than a third-tier novelty item.

:-O I can't believe this news!

On a serious note, I'm really not sure why they even release in Japan. I guess maybe those 50k sales convince some Japanese publishers to release on Xbox in the west at least?

Although, if Microsoft does actually have some interesting Japanese games that would be cool. Right now it's pretty awful.

Steroyd

Japan as a territory is fast becoming irrelevant in terms of home consoles, so there's no reason MS should waste money trying to appeal to them.

It's a totally different market than when Microsoft first launched the original XBox. The 360 showed they can thrive and succeed without Japan.

As long as they stay competitive, the Japanese third-parties will still come to them, because they'll need to reach the Western gamers if they want to still make console games (for the most part).

It's not even close to even being that.

"Competitive" in terms of Japaneese games means more than just selling parity to PS4 hardware wise, heck the Japaneese pretty much abandoned the Xbox 360 mid gen despite it dominating in the us, the Xbox needs to overturn PS4 selling 80%+ of whatever is being sold.

Alo0oy

Banned
I... what?

No, the point is that the 360 actually did quite well in Europe compared to how it performed in Japan. The difference between the 360 and XB1's performance in Europe has been quite concerning for Microsoft. The difference between the 360 and XB1's performance in Japan has probably been disappointing, but hardly surprising.

As such, the poster above postulated that they should be focusing on trying to recover the European market, where they at least once held a decent amount of market share, rather than bothering with a market where they have never been more than a third-tier novelty item.

They never had a decent market share in EU though, last gen they launched 1.5 earlier at a much lower price point, yet in many European markets the PS3 managed to surpass the accumulative sales of X360 in its launch month. X360's marketshare in Europe was not abysmal like XB1, but it was still very bad, evident by the fact that hardly any X360 games chart in EU right now while PS3 games still consistently outperform XB1+X360 combined.

Just because X360 wasn't doing abysmally like XB1 is doing right now, doesn't mean that it had a good market share.

Alo0oy

Banned
8 years from launch. Not 8 years from now.

But even then, 10m is very much out of the question.

Yeah, I don't think it will sell 10 million either, I think sales will rise significantly in 2016 & 2017, but will decline very sharply in 2019. So I think it will sell 8 million.

They never had a decent market share in EU though, last gen they launched 1.5 earlier at a much lower price point, yet in many European markets the PS3 managed to surpass the accumulative sales of X360 in its launch month. X360's marketshare in Europe was not abysmal like XB1, but it was still very bad, evident by the fact that hardly any X360 games chart in EU right now while PS3 games still consistently outperform XB1+X360 combined.

Just because X360 wasn't doing abysmally like XB1 is doing right now, doesn't mean that it had a good market share.

Perspective, man.

They stand to lose tens of millions of sales this generation in Europe. They stand to lose a few hundred thousand in Japan. There's a difference.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Man thats kinda weird they are going to skip out on this years show when its being said its the largest TGS ever.

Regardless of how its doing in Japan, that marketing push of just being there is far more positive than not being at the show floor at all.

Alo0oy

Banned
Perspective, man.

They stand to lose tens of millions of sales this generation in Europe. They stand to lose a few hundred thousand in Japan. There's a difference.

Personally, I think the decline in their marketshare in the US & UK is a bigger blow to them, they sold 60+ million 360s in those two markets, while selling only ~25 million in continental EU & RotW, now that the PS4 is eating Microsoft's lunch in those two markets, their underperformance outside of those two markets is starting to become far more pronounced.

How much decline are you expecting from EU & RotW? 15 million? Compare that to how much they're standing to lose in the US & UK. They're not even gonna come close to 60 million in those markets, they'll sell half of that if they're lucky.

Rymuth

Perspective, man.

It's a catch-22, though.

They need a foothold in Japan to convince Japanese publishers to port their games to the XBO and they need those JP/anime games to expand in Europe.

France is one of the biggest consumers of anime in the world.

Alo0oy

Banned
It's a catch-22, though.

They need a foothold in Japan to convince Japanese publishers to port their games to the XBO and they need those JP/anime games to expand in Europe.

I think the failure of Forza in EU is one of Microsoft's biggest mistakes, racing games can be as big as Cod in EU as evidenced by Gran Turismo.

It's a catch-22, though.

Eh, I think at this point you just publish the ports/localizations yourself. You probably don't end up spending that much more than you're wasting trying to force the issue in Japan (particularly when compared to fully producing exclusives like they did last generation), and you get guaranteed desired releases instead of rolling the dice.

If France wants Akiba's Trip and NepNep, give them Akiba's Trip and NepNep. Sometimes the straight-line path really is the best solution.

Alo0oy

Banned
Eh, I think at this point you just publish the ports/localizations yourself. You probably don't end up spending that much more than you're wasting trying to force the issue in Japan (particularly when compared to fully producing exclusives like they did last generation), and you get guaranteed desired releases instead of rolling the dice.

If France wants Akiba's Trip and NepNep, give them Akiba's Trip and NepNep. Sometimes the straight-line path really is the best solution.

Two Japanese games aren't enough when the PS4 gets 10-15 Japanese third party exclusives every year. At this point, when someone is a fan of Japanese games he or she will just buy a PS4, the market for Japanese games outside of Japan has been decided two decades ago, I don't think porting two Japanese games is gonna make a difference.

Top Bottom