• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft tricks people into installing Windows 10 when clicking red X

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetwired

This happened to me the other night, I clicked X to close it and went about my business, walked away from my PC for 10 mins and come back to find it "preparing updates for windows 10" or something similar. Quickly rebooted to avoid it.

PKrockin

The other day my sister was telling me how pissed off she was that she had to do some work immediately on her computer only to find out it was in the middle of installing Windows 10 without her permission. I would have been livid, too. Microsoft can suck a dick.

Vyer

yeah we had a few clients get fucked over with this at the end of the week. one of them had some older third party software for their business and it caused all sorts of issues with the program and its printing.

NeonBlack

You're going to install Win10 whether you like it or not. You can't stay awake forever.

Pretty fucking ridiculous some posters still can't figure out why people wouldn't want to have their OS forcibly changed on them.

Some software can break because of OS updates. Thats why this should have stayed a choice.

Sometimes I wonder if all this could have been avoided if Microsoft made the "I don't want this upgrade scheduled" option more obvious than a hyperlink and/or people actually read what's in the window.

wetwired

You're going to install Win10 whether you like it or not. You can't stay awake forever.

latest

Koomaster

MS seriously needs to fuck off. Offer your damn OS for free and if I want it I will seek it out. Don't try to force it on me. I still remember the horrible experience upgrading from 8->8.1 that was forced on me and I thought it nearly destroyed my PC. So you can fuck off if you think I trust you to force upgrade me to Win10.

PSYGN

My brother said that after he finished gaming and switched input to his PC it said that Windows 10 was installing and he said he never remembered agreeing to that. He said he likes Windows 10 now that he's upgraded though and just was scared to have anything break on him since he has no issues with Windows 8

Sometimes I wonder if all this could have been avoided if Microsoft made the "I don't want this upgrade scheduled" option more obvious than a hyperlink and/or people actually read what's in the window.

Or how about they kept it like it was when this all first started where you had to opt-in rather than opt-out?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
It's fucking ridiculous all the trouble some people go through just to avoid a free upgrade to one of the best Windows ever made.

Some people have software worth thousands that aren't compatible with Windows 10. Who are Microsoft to force these people to "upgrade" to an OS that renders software they need useless?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
hilarity

but holy fuck is that not Microsoft's call to make. its like bad IT admin X1000.

They've gone from "we provide software and services to you" to "this is our system, you just use it".

I mean, I said as much. Automatically scheduling it instead of leaving it as opt-in is shady.

But being obligated to support operating systems over a decade old because people are ignorant is ridiculous. Not just for MS, but for software developers in general. It's no wonder they don't want to deal with that again.

Maximus.

So weird people complaining about a free upgrade that soon will cost money. At least Microsoft is trying hard to ensure users upgrade for free.

Or how about they kept it like it was when this all first started where you had to opt-in rather than opt-out?

Probably trying to prevent Windows 7 from becoming the new XP.

Either way, the GWX has underwent a lot of changes since the beginning - usually if there's lots of complaints, I expect it to change - and this looks like a good candidate for change.

So weird people complaining about a free upgrade that soon will cost money. At least Microsoft is trying hard to ensure users upgrade for free.

They are never charging for this os. It's a trick to get people to download it before July. They've done this before with other stuff.

I don't know why people don't want to get the best operating system to date

and before I hear "BUT DATA MINING", 7 does that shit too

akira28

people are paying money to get their now no longer working systems up again because of "free".

This shit happened to me today. I was working on a project in Ableton, and then everything force quit and said Windows 10 was installing. It was fucked up. Luckily what I was working on got saved automatically.

I've been using Windows 10 on my laptop. I don't hate it or anything, but I can't believe it got forced on me the way it did.

jagowar

Instead of forcing this upgrade they really should just cut off support for older os's more quickly and get them that way.

People have gotten used to the idea of upgrading their tablets & phones with every new update and it has become common practice there. This is very much ms trying to do the same thing. Legacy really has really handcuffed windows for years.

Kinda funny because apple is getting a taste of what it is like to have to deal with legacy trying to integrate itunes with apple music.

Monocle

That's going too far.

I would totally upgrade, but my laptop is ancient and I'm worried about breaking stuff that works perfectly fine in Windows 7 now. Can't wait to try Win 10 when I get a new computer though.

There's people that don't like free shit?
Hey guy, come over here and let me customize your phone according to my preferences. It's free.

Instead of forcing this upgrade they really should just cut off support for older os's more quickly and get them that way.

People have gotten used to the idea of upgrading their tablets & phones with every new update and it has become common practice there. This is very much ms trying to do the same thing. Legacy really has really handcuffed windows for years.

Kinda funny because apple is getting a taste of what it is like to have to deal with legacy trying to integrate itunes with apple music.

Not when pretty much every major Windows release since 2000 has 10 years of guaranteed support (with 3.1 and 98 also being close enough for support purposes too consumer-wise (8+ years?))

Cutting short the support duration would alienate a lot of people. People usually use a PC for a very long time if they don't need to - still see 14-year-old P4 boxes running perfectly well.

Windows 10 has been a nightmare for me personally. I was trying to avoid it for the longest time but I finally gave in. Had lots of driver issues afterwards and the companies were slow to make them windows 10 compatible. Then my live tiles completely disappeared. Then my start button stopped working intermittently. After applying band-aids to those issues it would work for a while and then screw up again. Finally, one day it just stopped booting entirely. Blue windows logo and a spinning circle which never stopped.

After searching the internet for a solution for days and trying all sorts of "fixes" I just gave up and got a live CD with ubuntu on it so I could at least retrieve my files. Then I decided to just say fuck it and installed Xubuntu. No more Windows for me. At least in the immediate future. Not saying this is a common experience for most, but I was perfectly fine with Win 7 and I really regret upgrading.

Falcs

Banned
But it says right there... "Based on your settings... your computer is scheduled to upgrade on...". It says right there that it is going to do it. Then it says "to cancel click here to change the settings..." etc...
You shouldn't expect that pressing X would make the update go away. It specifically says that it will be updated, and to cancel, click here..

I don't see any issue.

DTU

Banned
For casual users fine, upgrade, but I had quite enough between sharing my information, using bandwidth, and forced driver updates. Everything I read about windows 10 told me no. I even tried it on an older computer which seemed to make no difference at all in performance

What the hell are you doing? What are you reading?

That's going too far.

I would totally upgrade, but my laptop is ancient and I'm worried about breaking stuff that works perfectly fine in Windows 7 now. Can't wait to try Win 10 when I get a new computer though.

This is my exact issue. I don't have any problem with 10 itself but I do not want to deal with the issues it will have on my older laptop.

Windows 10 has been a nightmare for me personally. I was trying to avoid it for the longest time but I finally gave in. Had lots of driver issues afterwards and the companies were slow to make them windows 10 compatible. Then my live tiles completely disappeared. Then my start button stopped working intermittently. After applying band-aids to those issues it would work for a while and then screw up again. Finally, one day it just stopped booting entirely. Blue windows logo and a spinning circle which never stopped.

After searching the internet for a solution for days and trying all sorts of "fixes" I just gave up and got a live CD with ubuntu on it so I could at least retrieve my files. Then I decided to just say fuck it and installed Xubuntu. No more Windows for me. At least in the immediate future. Not saying this is a common experience for most, but I was perfectly fine with Win 7 and I really regret upgrading.

Mmm.

Come to think about it, I wonder what's the "cutoff" where Windows 10 stops working well. I think Sandy Bridge-based systems running Windows 7 should still work fine assuming contemporary hardware, so it makes me wonder how old it needs to be before severe issues happen. Core 2-based systems and similar hardware? (though, NVIDIA still makes Windows 10 drivers for pretty much everything relevant... including the original 8000 series, so video card is a non-factor if NVIDIA.)

But it says right there... "Based on your settings... your computer is scheduled to upgrade on...". It says right there that it is going to do it.

That's the problem though. Microsoft shouldn't be scheduling a new operating system installation for people who never wanted it.

In other words, if you had previously clicked on the "ok" button for getting the installation, and later got this popup telling you the date of your ordered installation, that would be fine.

It is very much not fine to schedule an installation without approval, and then announce it with a popup and take closing the popup as confirmation of wanting the installation.

Mr.Mike

I do think we've reached a point where Linux is actually a better user experience than Windows. Although people who can't upgrade to Windows 10 because they need certain software certainly aren't going to improve that issue by switching to Linux.

Some people have software worth thousands that aren't compatible with Windows 10. Who are Microsoft to force these people to "upgrade" to an OS that renders software they need useless?

I assume all my dumb music software probably works with win10 by now, but I don't really have any interest in rolling those dice

Question: The Win10 EULA and TOS almost certainly contains new provisions not present in the terms for older Windows, for example provisions related to the new built-in telemetry and statistics tracking or language dictating the new license terms of the OS. So when people are being force-upgraded to Windows 10, are they still being presented with the new EULA (as is supposed to happen everytime you install Windows), and if so, how easy is it to refuse it and prevent the installation from going forward?

If not, and Microsoft is effectively forcing people to opt-in to an EULA without being able to read it first, they could potentially be facing a serious anti-consumer legal claim. The legal status of EULAs is not well-defined, but one thing I believe has been established (and an important principle in contract law in general) is that to agree to a contract, a party must be first presented with it. This is why Apple always throws the TOS up on screen when making you agree to a new version, because then they can claim that you've been given the opportunity to read it and refuse it if you want. That's entirely standard practice in software TOS. Is Windows 10 following it?

Skux

And then when people miss the free upgrade window they'll complain that Microsoft never notified them it was expiring.

Faith in Fate

Neo Member
But it says right there... "Based on your settings... your computer is scheduled to upgrade on...". It says right there that it is going to do it. Then it says "to cancel click here to change the settings..." etc...
You shouldn't expect that pressing X would make the update go away. It specifically says that it will be updated, and to cancel, click here..

I don't see any issue.

Yeah I agree with this, just read the message and there's no issue

Question: The Win10 EULA and TOS almost certainly contains new provisions not present in the terms for older Windows, for example provisions related to the new built-in telemetry and statistics tracking or language dictating the new license terms of the OS. So when people are being force-upgraded to Windows 10, are they still being presented with the new EULA (as is supposed to happen everytime you install Windows), and if so, how easy is it to refuse it and prevent the installation from going forward?

If not, and Microsoft is effectively forcing people to opt-in to an EULA without being able to read it first, they could potentially be facing a serious anti-consumer legal claim. The legal status of EULAs is not well-defined, but one thing I believe has been established (and an important principle in contract law in general) is that to agree to a contract, a party must be first presented with it. This is why Apple always throws the TOS up on screen when making you agree to a new version, because then they can claim that you've been given the opportunity to read it and refuse it if you want. That's entirely standard practice in software TOS. Is Windows 10 following it?

The EULA should be shown no matter if you try to upgrade manually or it auto-upgrades (it should stop at that screen, assuming the PC isn't used by someone else)

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Easy way to cancel it I discovered is to schedule the upgrade for later. Then reopen the Win 10 icon in your task tray and cancel the upcoming upgrade. Done and done.

sn00zer

I don't see any issue.

Because the red X has been the way to cancel these notifications for the past few months?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Either way they are going to face a huge lawsuit, I can't imagine it NOT happening.
It can entirely disrupt (or even cripple) a business as many use java/windows 7/IE8, etc. only programs for B2B

You know, I upgraded to Windows 10 and have liked it since I did. But this forced upgrade bullshit makes it really hard to recommend it to people when Microsoft themselves are shitting all over the user's choice in whether to upgrade.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I just did this yesterday lol, I guess ill have win10 installing when I boot up later?

Oh well I was gonna do it anyway

You can keep that garbage microsoft. I'll use windows 7 until people break into my apartment and beat me to death for it. I'm assuming that's what's going to happen.

Korey

From what I've read, you are presented with a new EULA when it installs. Declining it is apparently one of the ways you can revert/undo if you accidentally let it go through.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4k6tms/psa_closing_the_upgrade_to_windows_10_box_now/
If this "feature" caught you, you can revert to your previous version of Windows by declining the EULA.

Something that may be good to know is that if you unintentionally let this happen, you can hit 'Decline' the first time the computer starts Win 10 and asks you to agree to the license. It'll revert the upgrade and restore the OS you were using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom