• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft tricks people into installing Windows 10 when clicking red X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Microsoft is pretty shady with this shit.

I understand that auto-updates are good for you but man, fnck that shit.

I'd walk into work, get everything set up and ready, go grab coffee from the break room and come back to see my laptop is fncking updating so I'm there sitting for another hour doing absolutely nothing. I obviously don't mind sitting at work getting paid to do nothing, but when you've got deadlines coming up and clients to please, you really can't tolerate that shit for even a minute.

Worse is, the auto-updates install a bogus version of the video card drivers so for an entire span of 3 months I was about ready to chuck my laptop into the trash can since it would randomly start crashing the moment I turn on Adobe Premiere Pro or Lightroom... the main programs I use for work. I finally spent an entire weekend and completely disabled the auto-updates, through the registry and the services.msc coz I've had enough. Then I forced it to update to the proper Intel drivers, not the bullshit Toshiba or MS provides and wouldn't you know it, my laptop has working perfectly ever since.

I still use Windows 10 on my desktop at home, where auto-updates are enabled, but that's because the only time I turn it off is when I leave the house so MS is free to do whatever the fnck it wants when I'm sleeping. But on my work laptop, fnck that shit... it hasn't been updated since January and it's going to stay that way until I sell it for a Macbook Pro in a few months.

MIMIC

Banned
I like Windows 10 on my laptop, but not on my desktop. And I've also noticed how aggressive Microsoft has been recently,

Fake edit: I just found out how to cancel the upgrade. First, you have to SCHEDULE a date to upgrade (lol). Then, you're asked if you want to reschedule or cancel the upgrade completely.

crazyprac

When I came home one night my desktop automatically installed... I was like what the heck I'll try it. Next several weeks I constantly lost access to my peripherals; keyboard, loss of sound, video glitches. Most were easy to fix via reinstalling/updating drivers, but losing sound was a fucking nightmare. Spent a whole day troubleshooting to find some obscure solution to download windows 7 older drivers as a bandage solution... since then it's fine but I find that ironic. It's pretty quick though compared to Windows 7. Opted out every optional programs though. Shits annoying when they try to cram crap stuff at you.

I understand those people who don't want to upgrade for a reason, heck I still have my older laptop on Windows 7 because I'm wary something won't work well with 10.

BigDes

When I came home one night my desktop automatically installed... I was like what the heck I'll try it. Next several weeks I constantly lost access to my peripherals; keyboard, loss of sound, video glitches. Most were easy to fix via reinstalling/updating drivers, but losing sound was a fucking nightmare. Spent a whole day troubleshooting to find some obscure solution to download windows 7 older drivers as a bandage solution... since then it's fine but I find that ironic. It's pretty quick though compared to Windows 7. Opted out every optional programs though. Shits annoying when they try to cram crap stuff at you.

I understand those people who don't want to upgrade for a reason, heck I still have my older laptop on Windows 7 because I'm wary something won't work well with 10.

Yep, I hate to roll back my laptop to 8.1 because AMD Catalyst screwed up in the update and as a result my graphics card wouldn't work properly. What was worse is that it wouldn't let me uninstall it but also wouldn't let me reinstall it because it was already on the system.

Shiggy

Somehow thinking of updating my notebook to Windows 10 still makes my blood boil.

- random crashes (lots of)
- Steam games suddenly not working anymore (because Windows 10 couldn't switch between the two graphic cards in the notebook?)
- not connecting to my router anymore
- battery life down by 1-2 hours (from originally 8 hours)
- after 3 days complete crash where nothing could be repaired without a complete new install of Windows, thus losing all data had it not been for my dad somehow recovering the data through installing Linux
- after the reinstall the other issues still remained

Sure, great OS. Not planning to go back to Windows again after this. And I really liked Windows 7 and never saw the need to switch to Mac before.

Nowadays I'm somewhat laughing when seeing people use Win 10 notebooks at university and their systems just randomly crash or shut down.

Yep, I hate to roll back my laptop to 8.1 because AMD Catalyst screwed up in the update and as a result my graphics card wouldn't work properly. What was worse is that it wouldn't let me uninstall it but also wouldn't let me reinstall it because it was already on the system.

When I tried Windows 10, it forced nvidia graphics drivers from Microsoft on me and even after updating to the latest directly from Nvidia, it kept uninstalling them and forcing the old outdated ones from Microsoft back on me(with no option to do custom install to get rid of the shit I don't want). After it kept forcing the old ones on me it kept fucking up my desktop, icons, refresh rate, video playback, etc. Just horrible shit all around. I will never use Windows 10 again until they allow people to disable automatic driver updates. It's not like I'm missing much. I noticed no improvements over 8.1 with classic shell.

Maybe you should just upgrade already?

Do you realise that if Microsoft is that agressive with pushing people to upgrade, we will probably see in a few months an update that will remove the possibility to disable the spyware within W10? It's just a logical progression of their current behavior...

I don't know what you guys mean clearly Microsoft is being very sensible in how they offer this upgrade. I'm a big fan of watching it reschedule the update every 10 minutes after I clicked the red X a few weeks ago.
54GEtUQ.png

All of those windows update notices are windows rescheduling the W10 install btw lol. It never actually seems to roll into installing though so I don't know?

When I tried Windows 10, it forced nvidia graphics drivers from Microsoft on me and even after updating to the latest directly from Nvidia, it kept uninstalling them and forcing the old outdated ones from Microsoft back on me(with no option to do custom install to get rid of the shit I don't want). After it kept forcing the old ones on me it kept fucking up my desktop, icons, refresh rate, video playback, etc. Just horrible shit all around. I will never use Windows 10 again until they allow people to disable automatic driver updates. It's not like I'm missing much. I noticed no improvements over 8.1 with classic shell.

Tried the tips in the first section of this? I think the most important thing is probably is to let Windows 10 install its own drivers, restart, then install the latest driver package from NVIDIA.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Maybe you should just upgrade already?

Whether someone should upgrade or not is entirely separate from whether or not Microsoft is being fucking assholish about this.

Hint: they are.

Stop defending them changing what the x has always meant in windows in order to TRICK PEOPLE into installing Windows 10.

This is bullshit.

Tried the tips in the first section of this? I think the most important thing is probably is to let Windows 10 install its own drivers, restart, then install the latest driver package from NVIDIA.

Doesn't work. It eventually reinstalls the drivers from Windows Update.

Wait, Win 10 has ads? For real?

Yes, for sure on the lock screen. Here are all the ways they put ads on your screen http://www.pcworld.com/article/3039...0-pushes-ads-at-you-and-how-to-stop-them.html

Wait, Win 10 has ads? For real?

No it doesn't. The only way you can even make that case is if you count the person pinning the Windows Store App and not turning off the Live Tile, or the person downloading an app from the Windows Store which has ads in it, or a person manually setting their Lock Screen Provider to Windows Spotlight and hitting a brand-based background picture (Think concept art for a game/movie) for a single day once every other month, or if a person enables the OS in the settings to display app recommendations from the store on a white space section in your Start Menu

This is ridiculous. Why the hell is Microsoft so desperate for people to get Windows 10? I feel like this is also illegal, they have made declining to a "suggestion" so hard that the vast majority of people will accidentally accept even if they didn't mean to.

Also, some people are missing the point. It doesn't matter if you don't see any reason not to upgrade, if someone doesn't want to they obviously should have the option not to. And there are plenty of reasons not to upgrade, a big thing is compatibility. For the record I have had Windows 10 since day one.

Maximo

Posted in the gaming thread but will post here too, I am certainly in the small minority of people that are having problems but after all that has happened I don't want Windows 10 for awhile.

"Upgraded yesterday and after a hour reverted back too many issues with programs and scaling, bury text, audio problems and chrome issues."

"Apart from the PC issues listed before, windows 10 caused my laptop to never wake up from sleep I had to MANUALLY turn it on and off again everytime I closed the lid with no permanent solution, it certainly isn't "stable*

And now after reverting back from Windows 10 my Computer now thinks its not a genuine copy.

They want your data.

Or to ensure as many Windows users are on the same platform so as to deliver a unified experience across their devices; Xbox, Desktop, Mobile and so on.

I mean, the method they're using to install Windows 10 is not kosher but ffs the hyperbole with regards to privacy/data is so stupid.

Tagyhag

If you set up an alarm on your Windows, and you click on the red x on the alarm window, does it cancel the alarm?

The auto-upgrading is shady, but the red x not canceling the scheduled update isn't. It's working as intended.

Hell, it even says "click here to cancel" on the same window. If people won't even bother to read, then it's hard to feel sorry for them.

Basically, we should shit on MS for the scheduling, not because a red X is doing its job.

Kieli

No it doesn't. The only way you can even make that case is if you count the person pinning the Windows Store App and not turning off the Live Tile, or the person downloading an app from the Windows Store which has ads in it, or a person manually setting their Lock Screen Provider to Windows Spotlight and hitting a brand-based background picture (Think concept art for a game/movie) for a single day once every other month

Yes it does. They were advertising apps on the goddamned taskbar.

crazyprac

Oh and my cursor changes size and resolution in every program I open. Anyone has any clue to fixing this? I have to manually (if possible) change the pointer file =_=

Yes it does it when program is in Windows mode or not. It's pretty funny sometimes...

akira28

because you used to have a cd to install software onto your hd and a code to unlock it. now you have a code and a live windows server tied to your motherboard in order to unlock it. They have closed the eula chain, they used to say they didn't sell you software they sold you the rights to use it, now its literally true.

Doesn't work. It eventually reinstalls the drivers from Windows Update.

You can disable it through services.msc but note that this completely disables auto-updates so you'll be missing "critical" updates and all that BS.

I disabled mine and I don't see any difference whatsoever between my desktop (which has auto-updates enabled) and my work laptop.

Honestly, I feel like MS is just forcing everybody to update so you can "feel safe", exactly like the security theater the TSA does in airports.

Pretty fucking ridiculous some posters still can't figure out why people wouldn't want to have their OS forcibly changed on them.
For real.

Some people, like these:
Just upgrade already.

Jeez.
It's fucking ridiculous all the trouble some people go through just to avoid a free upgrade to one of the best Windows ever made.
..really come off as shills (to be clear though, I don't think they're actually paid for it). "Let's take the corporation's side when it's trying to force an update that a lot of people don't want! Doesn't matter what that reason is, just fucking submit to the corporation already!"

leroidys

That sucks. Upgrades are getting so aggressive and annoying. My iphone updated itself yesterday, because I hit "update later" when the fucking update thing came up for the millionth time.

Yes it does. They were advertising apps on the goddamned taskbar.

I have had Windows 10 on all of my computers since the day it launched and I have never seen anything even closely remotely related to an advertisement on the Taskbar. I am also the tech person in my family and have never heard and complaints about such a thing either.

A simple google search for "Windows 10 Taskbar Advertisements" or "Windows 10 Advertisements on Taskbar" brings up no results aside from the Windows 7/8/8.1 Upgrade Prompt. In fact, here is an article from PCWorld which shows nothing about Taskbar ads and shows all the known ways Windows 10 has Advertisements... which is basically all the things I mentioned in my previous post

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
People telling me to just upgrade are as bad as Microsoft acting like pushy drug dealers trying to get ex addicts rehooked.
I tried upgrading three times. Each time I was promised it would work fine. Each time it made my laptop unusable and took hours to revert because I had a 20 second window after bootup before everything froze.

So no thank you.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
My solution to this fuckery? Stop using my PCs until it goes away.

You can disable it through services.msc but note that this completely disables auto-updates so you'll be missing "critical" updates and all that BS.

I disabled mine and I don't see any difference whatsoever between my desktop (which has auto-updates enabled) and my work laptop.

Honestly, I feel like MS is just forcing everybody to update so you can "feel safe", exactly like the security theater the TSA does in airports.

Might look into this if I ever re-install it.

What was the driver package you tried to install? Try doing it again now with the latest ones. I think a lot of issues should have been gone by now.

Whichever ones were newest from Nvidia about a week after Windows 10 came out.

Also this

http://bgr.com/2016/02/10/windows-10-spying-investigation/ said:
In a Voat thread last week, a user by the name of CheesusCrust published his findings after running a network traffic analysis relating to the telemetry and surveillance features of Windows 10. The results were troubling, to say the least.

While setting up a fresh copy of Windows 10 Enterprise Edition on VirtualBox, the user went through and disabled all three pages of tracking options, one by one. He then left the computer running for eight hours overnight, and returned to find that Windows 10 had attempted to contact 51 Microsoft IP addresses 5,508 times.

After 30 hours, over 112 IP addresses had been contacted.

RedToad64

I'm assuming most people don't realize that this free upgrade promotion only lasts for about another month. It'll be interesting to see all of the people whining who missed out.

IvanJ

Banned
I use XP at my work, and I'm perfectly happy, it gets the job done.
It never asked me to update anyway, so I'm not worried.

In my private life, I severed all ties with Microsoft years ago, their crap is not welcome at my house. I don't need a PC anyway, Android is plenty enough for my needs.

Whichever ones were newest from Nvidia about a week after Windows 10 came out.

That's the problem. Do it again with the very latest driver packages (should be a week or two old).

Wasn't that declared bogus in the end by other sources IIRC? Like, basic sanity checking failures?

Wasn't that declared bogus in the end by other sources IIRC? Like, basic sanity checking failures?

No idea, but MS has touted numbers they've gotten from people's pcs on windows 10 like how many hours they've spent in the photo app, gaming, etc. They are getting updates on what you are doing on your computer sent to them probably multiple times a day.

Megasoum said:
It's fucking ridiculous all the trouble some people go through just to avoid a free upgrade to one of the best Windows ever made.

Sogjat said:
No means no, Microsoft

... shit happened to me. I didn't even think to hit decline.

This whole thing pisses me off. It's not that don't like Windows 10, I do. My issue is that my choice was taken away from me. I was denied my choice by a underhanded trick.

They force you to get these gigantic gigabyte updates against your will and then trick you into doing a upgrade. Holy shit.

It's the principal.

Klocker

If you set up an alarm on your Windows, and you click on the red x on the alarm window, does it cancel the alarm?

The auto-upgrading is shady, but the red x not canceling the scheduled update isn't. It's working as intended.

Hell, it even says "click here to cancel" on the same window. If people won't even bother to read, then it's hard to feel sorry for them.

Basically, we should shit on MS for the scheduling, not because a red X is doing its job.

Exactly

It clearly is a notification window that says an update has been scheduled based on your current update settings... click "here" to cancel it. (not close as that just dismisses the notification)

It's a little ambiguous but it's certainly not deceptive if you read it.

Again still confused why people do not want a free software upgrade to a really solid OS? (besides the occasional program that will absolute cease to function even with compatibility mode)

No idea, but MS has touted numbers they've gotten from people's pcs on windows 10 like how many hours they've spent in the photo app, gaming, etc. They are getting updates on what you are doing on your computer sent to them probably multiple times a day.

That bit is intended if you turn on telemetry. Anonymized, even. In fact, leaving this kind of telemetry helps a lot, especially if things go very wrong.

Massa

I'm assuming most people don't realize that this free upgrade promotion only lasts for about another month. It'll be interesting to see all of the people whining who missed out.

People that have a critical system in production don't care about Windows 10 because if anything goes wrong it's going to cost them money to fix it. Do you think 100% of the Windows 10 upgrades are free of problems?

indask8

This is what I'm expecting too past the 29th of July.

Many people who missed the update for some software reasons or dismissed it without really thinking about it will be like:

"150$? I thought Windows 10 was free"

"An update notification? Never saw it."

"So you're leaving me with my soon to be unsupported OS? Damn you Microsoft and your programmed obsolescence".

A-V-B

This is what I'm expecting too past the 29th of July.

Many people who missed the update for some software reasons or dismissed it without really thinking about it will be like:

"150$? I thought Windows 10 was free"

"An update notification? Never saw it."

"So you're leaving me with my soon to be unsupported OS? Damn you Microsoft and your programmed obsolescence".

Isn't Windows 7 going to be supported for another, like, three years or something? I wouldn't call that soon. More than enough time for people to make a choice of OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom