• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft tricks people into installing Windows 10 when clicking red X

Status
Not open for further replies.

ResoRai

Wow, even pressing on the "X" installs it? That is messed up, the "X" always meant to close a window, not okay, install me.

No thanks either way. Windows 7 is just fine, everything runs, no crashes, don't need to be trying a new OS to see what in gods name it breaks.

Nah haha. It still just closes the window.

CSJ

For any IT professional of any worth, this issue is a home consumer problem.

That's my issue, home user experience.

This is another problem in the thread, when you say you work in IT and loads of users have issue they assume corporate. Like every home has an IT Department right? :p

Cth

For some people it's faster, for others it's not.. as with all things, no two machines are alike, especially with startup programs, individual setups, etc.

I think it's funny that in order to make Win 10 look "bad" people have made charts that try to mislead people in the same way people are accusing MS of misleading people with the whole "click x to dismiss" issue.

Those charts essentially say it's practically the same as the other OS. When you get down to milliseconds and a handful of frames per second differences, no one really notices.

I get that the "intent" is to say it's not faster, but it's hardly "slower" either.

akira28

Well, yeah, if you work in IT it's your job to make sure the upgrade works with all of your programs. That's with any upgrade for any OS or Application. But if you have a group policy on AD you won't get the upgrade. Except for Macs and users were upgrading to el capitan and it killed Centrify. That was a hassle, but we figured it out.

actually that's not really the case. when you work a major enterprise, your work revolves around the mission, not whatever Microsoft is doing to keep themselves busy. That's why "just upgrade" isn't going to work because now instead of accomplishing your tasks, you now have to combat Microsoft software instability.

In fact its more likely that 'just upgrade' will be ignored rather than argued with, but that also does a disservice because if gives the illusion of acquiescence, where Microsoft thinks they can do this and all their customers will just go with it like confused computer illiterates. Forced public testing, because government and industry will lock their legacy systems down and protect them from things like this. It doesn't accomplish what Microsoft claims they're trying to do(improve security globally), but it certainly does lock up their software/licensing battles with the single enduser.

but yea, just upgrade, its just...better.

213372bu

Banned
Where is this "Windows 10 is so much faster" coming from? I run Windows 10 on my work PC. I didn't notice any speed increase whatsoever. In fact, I didn't notice any reason to upgrade my home PC that's still running Windows 8.1 (with a classic start menu). I'll probably upgrade when I assemble a new PC this summer, but at the moment I'm in no hurry to do so.It's nice that the OS I'm using now will stay exactly the same. Once you're on Windows 10, you'll have no choice in the matter. If MS begins to turn the complete OS/UI into some UWP/WinRT monstrosity, you'll have to follow the pied piper.

Yeah I mentioned your complaints in my next post on why this is wrong, but I definitely noticed a decrease in start-up and searching for programs through explorer.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Is it faster? I really don't want a slower OS than Win7 which I'm on now.

edit: I see the answers above.

Acerac

Banned
Wow, even pressing on the "X" installs it? That is messed up, the "X" always meant to close a window, not okay, install me.

I wonder how many people just didn't read the message in the box. Going through this thread it seems that many people just ignored the writing and based their opinion on what they think it said instead.

It wasn't really ambiguous.

Airola

Nah haha. It still just closes the window.

No, it didn't just close the window. It made the exact same result than if I had pressed the "confirm to install later" button and it even decided the installation date on my behalf.

I closed the window by pressing the X button and I got a thing going in the right corner of my screen where it said the installation has been confirmed to be started at this date and this time. Granted, there was a small link under it which let me cancel the timed installation, but only after I had confirmed the cancellation twice (or three times - I don't remember).

tl;dr There were three options:
1. Begin the installation now
2. Begin the installation later (if this is chosen, you agree to install the new OS at a certain date and a certain time)
3. Press X to close the window

However, the third option was exactly the same as the second option (without the option to choose the installation time but the program setting it up by itself).

ALT-F4 still seems to work as a true cancellation option.

dogstar

Banned
I had my Sunday (last week) with the family buggered-up by by this MS con trick. I had every intention to go from 7 to 10... but in my own good time. I had red-crossed the pop-up without thinking and a few days later my wife started the PC and left in running, and some time later the forced update was in full swing.

As a result, our planned day out was put on hold until it had finished, and I had made sure all was working and intact. Luckily the upgrade was fine, although I did have to find a few drivers to get everything working as it should.

So where do I send the bill for my time spent/wasted, when I had other things to do?

BTW I do like Win10 and I'm happy to have it on my main PC just to be up-to-date.... However, it is for me not faster in the slightest than Win7... all my games etc run just as they did before, boot times are slower, if anything.

But. Hey I have Win10 now so all is great :-/

F.U. MS

riotous

Banned
Just watched my wife hit the red X on our HTPC, and then it shows the little pop-out cartoon dialog thing at the bottom saying "thanks for scheduling your Win 10 install!" lol

It does, for the record, let you double click and change the date.

this happened to me

was playing on PS4, then my PC said 85%

85% what?

got up, and saw that my Win8.1 was updated automatically to win 10

fuckers

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I pressed the X yesterday and win10 didn't install for me.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yeah, it's shady but I dunno why you wouldn't want to upgrade to 10 though. It is better in so many ways and also fast.
Some people are using bespoke software that is only guaranteed to work correctly with a certain OS.

Can they not just refer to it as a mandatory update?

Why offer the illusion of choice if they're going to go out of their way to undermine it at every opportunity? They just come across as pricks who have more say over how you work with your PC than you do.

And I feel bad for anybody running tech support for their older family members confused by MS' incessant updates and pestering double-speak. It comes across scam-ish, something elderly PC users already have to be on edge about.

ResoRai

No, it didn't just close the window. It made the exact same result than if I had pressed the "confirm to install later" button and it even decided the installation date on my behalf.

I closed the window by pressing the X button and I got a thing going in the right corner of my screen where it said the installation has been confirmed to be started at this date and this time. Granted, there was a small link under it which let me cancel the timed installation, but only after I had confirmed the cancellation twice (or three times - I don't remember).

tl;dr There were three options:
1. Begin the installation now
2. Begin the installation later (if this is chosen, you agree to install the new OS at a certain date and a certain time)
3. Press X to close the window

However, the third option was exactly the same as the second option (without the option to choose the installation time but the program setting it up by itself).

ALT-F4 still seems to work as a true cancellation option.

But it made the same result because the upgrade was already automatically set to upgrade on that date unless the user clicked the link to cancel.

If it's already set and a window pops up giving you the option to cancel, but instead you click the red x, it's logical that it'll be like: "alright the upgrade is good to go".

The problem isn't the x (it's doing what it's always done) it's that they automatically opt people in to upgrade instead of letting the user decide to.

Well that's my understanding anyways, which is why I'm confused at the attention given to the x by people, unless they are referring to the automatic opt in to upgrade.

Having to try and cancel 3 times is unfortunate though.
What happened when you pressed alt f4?

-BLITZ-

Thank you for letting this know. I also try to be careful not to install KB3035583 as it pops after a while even so I hide/cancel the update multiple times.

Forcing something is always a shady thing behind the reasons, if the only good reasons that could be is if they lost interest over Win7 and want to get over with it fast. But perhaps I am simply not interested in this version of the product as consumer. I'm doing fine right now. It doesn't matter whatever improvement, new features it might hold, ignorance as may sound over latest modern technologies 2015/2016 trend is out there, I still don't have that feeling, the urge of interest in that product yet. That's where my choice stands. It is like saying that when I go and look at a clothing store window and something new is shown, I have immediately need to buy it just cause a new trend is out. No, I will choose to pass by the window and continue walking. Maybe I will install it after 5 years from this post when, and maybe only then, I will actually going to need it once all the software programs (browsing programs will be one of them and others that will follow ) will obligate me to do so.

Also, did Microsoft ever questioned themselves if really all those PC's have the necessary requirement for windows 10 ? What about companies that don't invest that hard in their PCs and their employees who use them. Few years ago, when my old PC was not made for Win7 if the hardware was based for XP, I barely manage to keep pace with Win7 while was eating all my remaining resources when XP didn't, but I was obligated because of the software upgrades (talking about browsing up in my post). It was working, but still lagging or freezing.

Korey

But it made the same result because the upgrade was already automatically set to upgrade on that date unless the user clicked the link to cancel.

If it's already set and a window pops up giving you the option to cancel, but instead you click the red x, it's logical that it'll be like: "alright the upgrade is good to go".

The problem isn't the x (it's doing what it's always done) it's that they automatically opt people in to upgrade instead of letting the user decide to.

Well that's my understanding anyways, which is why I'm confused at the attention given to the x by people, unless they are referring to the automatic opt in to upgrade.

The problem isn't that hard to understand.

Usually an upgrade to another OS is presented as a "would you like to upgrade?" popup.

A lot of people assumed that, when actually this popup is a "we're going to upgrade you" popup.

So they click the X to make it go away, thinking they haven't accepted anything, when there was nothing to accept in the first place.

And they wake up to a new OS they didn't authorize on their computer.

Understand why one would be pissed.

Wild Card

Good ole Microsoft. I can't wait for this free upgrade! Didya hear that everybody!? A whole new OS! FOR FREE!

Yeah no, I hardly think MS is doing this for the good of the people, you know altruism and stuff. Shady and agreesive as shit.

I feel thar even if you say something like "Well, although Win10 is really good..." you're just substantiating this bs a little bit more. The complete lack of consumer choice and the trickery complimenting it is embarrassing.

JayDub

I'd love to keep the update but the plural mouse drivers messes up every time I upgrade, making my mouses not work.

Anyone have a solution?

ResoRai

The problem isn't that hard to understand.

Usually an upgrade to another OS is presented as a "would you like to upgrade?" popup.

A lot of people assumed that, when actually this popup is a "we're going to upgrade you" popup.

So they click the X to make it go away, thinking they haven't accepted anything, when there was nothing to accept in the first place.

And they wake up with a new OS they didn't authorize on their computer.

Understand why one would be pissed.

I fully understand the problem, but it's not about what people assume it's about what it actually is.

The x does the same thing it's always done, and I'm surprised people choose to skim/ignore the messages in these windows, especially ones pertaining to a new OS that says in huge letters "this is when your update is scheduled".
I dunno. Something pops up and I read that shit, especially if it's something I don't want anything to do with, so I know how to make it go away.
People assume it's just another annoying pop, and I can't blame em for that though. But it says it right in the middle of the screen in huge letters lol.

Me personally though, I just couldn't miss that haha.

With that said, I fully agree that it should be presented differently. The option should be to "opt in" and people should be able to initially choose when to upgrade if they want to at all, rather than Microsoft automatically opting people in and requiring them to opt out, as I said above.

Really I guess I'm just shocked at the wording of the title of the thread and its relation to the red x lol.

It's not like someone click cancel on the window, clicked the x, and got a message saying: "wellp we'll update anyways"

Two days ago, Windows upgraded to Windows 10 overnight by pulling this shit. Then it had the balls to ask me if I would recommend it to others.

It's not a bad OS by any means, but the shadows are suddenly fucked up on a few of my games. Also would have liked the opt out button to be a lot more visible. This sets a shitty precedent for OS upgrades.

Just got it on an old win7 desktop, with no cancel either:
CjFybTUWUAE1gk0

So how do I get out of this?

Edit: to clarify, I support this PC for my dad, and he's got autocad 2013(?) on it, where it is know to be completely incompatible with win10. Going up is not an acceptable option.

Kieli

I have had Windows 10 on all of my computers since the day it launched and I have never seen anything even closely remotely related to an advertisement on the Taskbar. I am also the tech person in my family and have never heard and complaints about such a thing either.

A simple google search for "Windows 10 Taskbar Advertisements" or "Windows 10 Advertisements on Taskbar" brings up no results aside from the Windows 7/8/8.1 Upgrade Prompt. In fact, here is an article from PCWorld which shows nothing about Taskbar ads and shows all the known ways Windows 10 has Advertisements... which is basically all the things I mentioned in my previous post

Oops, I meant to say Start menu. Didn't have any adverts on taskbar.

Jezbollah

Edit: to clarify, I support this PC for my dad, and he's got autocad 2013(?) on it, where it is know to be completely incompatible with win10. Going up is not an acceptable option.

How about reading the thread you just posted in?

How about reading the thread you just posted in?
how about you look at the screen. I don't have the cancel option, nor is entering into the date setting giving me a cancel option.

Edit: killed process, removed GWX.exe. Anyone who does any sort of home of support for relatives are going to be seriously boned by this.

TSM

What does the blue arrow to the bottom right of the choose time box do? I'd start with that.

Edit: Nevermind, you solved it.

Airola

Here's the history of this thing for me (I'm sure it doesn't include everything):

-At first the window gives me two options: One is to install, one is to choose to not install.
-I choose not to. Several times.
-One day the "do not install" button has changed into "install later", which I almost clicked out of a habit.
-Now I'm clicking the red X to close the window as there is no other way to cancel the update. Every other option will bring you to either instantly install it or then schedule it for later (which is then set up for good and you are forced to install when the time comes).
-Clicking the red X worked tons of times.
-The newest update sceen is like before. There's no option to turn it off. The only options are to install immediately or to install at a set date.
-I click the red X like I've always done.
-The install screen closes but another - a smaller one - opens. It says I've now decided to install it at a set date. Under that text there is a clickable part which says I can cancel the installation.
-I click the cancellation button.
-I get a prompt which asks if I really want to cancel the update.
-I click "yes".
-It asks again, if I really want to cancel the update.
-I click "yes"
-It asks it again. I click "yes" and it's cancelled.

The next time the update screen appeared, I pressed ALT-F4 which closed the window and didn't force me to update.

When it appeared again, I pressed ALT-F4 which closed the window and didn't force me to update.

And when it appeared again, I pressed ALT-F4 which closed the window and, again, didn't force me to update.

So they have clearly made it so that the X button acts as if I've pressed the "install later" button since forcing the window to close doesn't do anything. Or at least doesn't do yet. I'm sure they'll code something to go around that.
Anyways, when there are two clear buttons that need to be clicked for one of them to be chosen, not clicking either of the buttons shouldn't mean I've accepted to choose one of them.

I've already decided that I will upgrade during the last month, but I will not upgrade yet since I can't afford the possibility for the upgrade to mess something up when I'm in the middle of a very important video edit project. I want to update when I want to update, not when someone else thinks I should update. Especially as they've already given us a clear deadline for it.

There is no way to deny this update uses absolutely shady tactics to force people to update. This is full on adware and malware spreading type of a practice they've using here. They give us screens where certain buttons act a certain way, but suddenly turn it all around. They play with the words to make the users think they're doing something when they're doing something else. Some people have got a screen with a 60 minute countdown after which the update will start automatically. Good luck for people who have put their computer render or export something work related for 12 hours and while they are asleep this countdown appears and stops the export.

Sure, this is funny in the "shady anti-hero abusing the system and trying to find loopholes in an offbeat buddy crime comedy" way, but in real life it's taken a clear step in the unethical side.

I'm no Windows or Microsoft hater. I was very ok with Vista. I was very ok with 8 and 8.1. I've sometimes defended them when people are saying they are shit. For me, they've been all ok. I even think Win 8.1 is great and wouldn't go back.
But man, this is some seriously shady ass shit! Funny in its own twisted way, but shady ass shit nevertheless :D

Falcs

Banned
Thread title is stupid.
Essentially, OP, you're saying that if I get a reminder pop-up for a meeting in 10 minutes, and I click the X, then I cancelled my meeting.

Ok.

Airola

Thread title is stupid.
Essentially, OP, you're saying that if I get a reminder pop-up for a meeting in 10 minutes, and I click the X, then I cancelled my meeting.

Ok.

It's more like they've told you can participate in a meeting and the last date to have the meeting is July 29th. You don't have to do it if you don't want to.
They'll send you reminders from time to time, still saying it's not mandatory. You can delete it. You can throw it in the trash bin.

But one day they'll send you a reminder for a meeting either instantly or later tonight without an option to cancel it. If you throw the reminder in the trash bin they'll come and get you to the meeting by force 6 hours later.

riotous

Banned
Thread title is stupid.

Ok.

Microsoft has been following and recommending people follow the same paradigms for years.

There's a reason most widows apps had the same series fo menus for years (File,. Edit, View, Windows, Help)

One of those standards is that the red X maps to the "cancel button"'; if a dialog doesn't have a cancel option, you remove the red x. (anyone whose been using Windows apps for years probably noticed the same thing without proper training however)

Source: I taught MS courseware for years includnig programming windows apps.

This isn't a stupid thread; MS is being oddly forceful and not really explaining it well to people.

"Just upgrade, people."

The call of the corporate ballwasher.
Can't believe I am reading comments like that on GAF, "Just upgrade people" coming from a site that usually embraces tech and gaming freedom. There are people on here still comfortably using Windows 7 or gaming on Xbox 360's because it works for them and they don't want to upgrade just yet.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Can't believe I am reading comments like that on GAF, "Just upgrade people" coming from a site that usually embraces tech and gaming freedom. There are people on here still comfortably using Windows 7 or gaming on Xbox 360's because it works for them and they don't want to upgrade just yet.
You were here in 2013, right?

Jintor

CjI7MM-UkAATMDV.jpg:large

is there even a cancel option on this thing? the blue button scrolls a fucking list of shit that wants me to upgrade, the menu has another list of shit that wants me to upgrade, set time has no 'go fuck yourself' option. I know a previous gaffer said he got out of it but I'm a fucking dummy and just want to know how to get this thing to kindly fuck off

/edit or does this one not force you to upgrade if you red-x this one? fucking hell i'm confused.

Korey

CjI7MM-UkAATMDV.jpg:large

is there even a cancel option on this thing? the blue button scrolls a fucking list of shit that wants me to upgrade, the menu has another list of shit that wants me to upgrade, set time has no 'go fuck yourself' option. I know a previous gaffer said he got out of it but I'm a fucking dummy and just want to know how to get this thing to kindly fuck off

/edit or does this one not force you to upgrade if you red-x this one? fucking hell i'm confused.

For this one, I think clicking the X will actually close it (and not install it later).

That's what it says here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3073...dows-10-pop-up-tricks-you-into-upgrading.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom