• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft tricks people into installing Windows 10 when clicking red X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's shady but I dunno why you wouldn't want to upgrade to 10 though. It is better in so many ways and also fast.
I'm updating today.

I develop so I had to wait for all of my specialized tools to get updated, too. Can't be making no PS4 games on broken shit.

If I didn't have a small team I wouldn't do it. That would be a nightmare. Luckily any issues I can rectify quickly during a transition. If I had a gazillion employees knee deep in a project it would be hell.

Hell, just updating tools and SDKs can cause all sorts of shifts in development - doing that on top of a fresh OS can easily kneecap me.

pgtl_10

I bought it through a home use program with an old job. I do not have the software Keyes to get MS Office to work after upgrade.

The programs used an old work email address to activate. I no longer work for that company.

Regiruler

IT at my school still hasn't approved 10 for the school laptops. I can only imagine the nightmare that will transpire when we get back in the fall.

M.Bluth

Yeah, it's shady but I dunno why you wouldn't want to upgrade to 10 though. It is better in so many ways and also fast.
It really isn't. It's slower on booting than 7, it freezes and crashes a lot more often than 7 ever did, and above all that, you have all this shady garbage Microsoft is doing.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
MS

qDtOtxm.jpg

gamz

I bought it through a home use program with an old job. I do not have the software Keyes to get MS Office to work after upgrade.

The programs used an old work email address to activate. I no longer work for that company.

I don't think you'll need the keys? Why would it make you re-register office?

Jezbollah

Don't want windows? Use linux instead.

People are not saying they don't want to use Windows, they just don't want to be forced to upgrade to a version that they either don't want, or cannot have due to program compatibility.

(and it's very probable that using Linux is not an option at all for the latter scenario).

pgtl_10

I don't think you'll need the keys? Why would it make you re-register office?

The system uses my defunct work e-mail address to recognize MS Office. I tried upgrading last year and ran into this problem.

I tried finding the product keys but can't.

joshschw

This thread is full of a whole lot of complaints / people who are exactly the reason Microsoft is being so forceful with the upgrade.

I don't necessarily agree with it. But that box in the OP says the upgrade will happen on such and such date, and click here to change it. If you close the window via the "red X," of course it will upgrade on that date. This throws me back to when people said their computers just restart randomly for updates. No, they didn't, you just ignored the prompt when it appeared.

OS updates are extremely important.

Jezbollah

This thread is full of a whole lot of complaints / people who are exactly the reason Microsoft is being so forceful with the upgrade.

I don't necessarily agree with it. But that box in the OP says the upgrade will happen on such and such date, and click here to change it. If you close the window via the "red X," of course it will upgrade on that date. This throws me back to when people said their computers just restart randomly for updates. No, they didn't, you just ignored the prompt when it appeared.

I agree, OS updates are extremely important.

But Windows OS' upgrades have never been forced upon their users. This is a new and very invasive strategy.

joshschw

I agree, OS updates are extremely important.

But Windows OS' upgrades have never been forced upon their users. This is a new and very invasive strategy.

It sure is, but I can't say I entirely disagree with it.

What is Microsoft gaining from users on Windows 10. I know... people think it's all about revenue, spyware, blabla, etc...

The reality is it's about customer satisfaction / word of mouth.

More secure, faster, better looking to majority, Store for SECURE easy to find apps (and lightweight, fast, smooth), etc... (I've had frantic phonecalls about people installing basic programs, but they downloaded some spyware link - and kaboom!)

Everything about it is better for the typical consumer, and that's the main reason why Microsoft wants as many people on it as possible. Their OS has a dismal perception among the public, and that's the main thing that hurts their company.

zou

Other than that though, I can't think of a single reason that doesn't involve unfounded paranoia.

Forced driver updates, forced windows updates, semi broken, slower start menu, broken search, crappy grayscale AA.

There, that's 5 more. And that's for 7->10. Never mind the shitty tablet experience compared to W8.1

Tigress

It's fucking ridiculous all the trouble some people go through just to avoid a free upgrade to one of the best Windows ever made.

That is entirely beside the point. The problem here isn't whether it is a good os, it is that whether you want it or not they are trying to trick you into installing the os. Now if you have an argument as to why they should be forced on it, that is relevant. But it's a bad reason if you are going to say they should be forced on it cause you like the os. They are not you.

Their OS has a dismal perception among the public, and that's the main thing that hurts their company.

The constant changing of the rules on postponing the upgrade is not helping their perception problem, especially when folks are caught off guard, click the wrong thing once and poof, there goes your old OS, I hope you enjoy spending the next 30 minutes to 2 hours removing all the cruft you don't want from your desktop, re-finding all the control panels you used to use, and figuring out if any of your existing hardware doesn't work anymore!

I completely agree with you, now could you please tell Microsoft to stop trying to shove Windows 10 down my throat so I can get back to updating my copy of windows 7 without worrying about whether they are shoving another trojan horse mandatory Windows 10 p.o.s malware in a windows 7 update.

There is NO point in me updating this PC to windows 10. I will be upgrading next year and will decide then if I want to stick with windows 7 or upgrade to windows 10. If I upgrade this PC to windows 10 I will get at best 8 months out of it and lose my licence to windows 7.

I really do not understand why some on this board are trying to push people to update to Win10. If you have made the leap, then great, glad it worked out for you. But some of us have reasons to stay off win 10 and we do not appreciate the way Microsoft are going about things (and you shouldn't be either).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It really isn't. It's slower on booting than 7, it freezes and crashes a lot more often than 7 ever did, and above all that, you have all this shady garbage Microsoft is doing.

Zero issues like that here. I upgraded as soon as I was able to, and everything has been faster and smoother than W7 was for me. All drivers were automatically installed without a hitch, etc. I did perform a system restore after upgrading though, so all old junk was wiped out. I recommend it, just backup any important files first (or keep them on another drive/partition, and they won't be touched). Programs can be reinstalled.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm, but I did upgrade and felt no difference from windows 8.1 so I reverted back due to all the issues that were present in 10.

What issues are those?

I realize people with different configurations have different experiences, this is just so far removed from what I've experienced. I would never go back to 7 (skipped 8).

What issues are those?

I realize people with different configurations have different experiences, this is just so far removed from what I've experienced. I would never go back to 7 (skipped 8).

Slower wifi, graphics drivers issues thanks to forced driver updates, issues with my 4k monitor, etc.

neshcom

Banned
You'd think Microsoft would understand that some of their paying users have production computers and that upgrading an OS must be done intently. I'll upgrade to Win10 when I can, but I've got active projects that an upgrade would jeopardize. Tying the update app to a standard update is scummy and misleading users with this change is maybe just a bad experience for people who use Windows in a professional capacity.

What is Microsoft gaining from users on Windows 10. I know... people think it's all about revenue, spyware, blabla, etc...

More secure, faster, better looking to majority, Store for SECURE easy to find apps (and lightweight, fast, smooth), etc... (I've had frantic phonecalls about people installing basic programs, but they downloaded some spyware link - and kaboom!)

Everything about it is better for the typical consumer, and that's the main reason why Microsoft wants as many people on it as possible. Their OS has a dismal perception among the public, and that's the main thing that hurts their company.

It's also an essential step towards reviving Windows 10 Mobile, to gain traction for their upcoming Surface Phone. See Apple, having over 90% of your users migrate to the latest versions is key.

Iorv3th

Getting hammered with complaints from users where I work were it force upgraded them, they hit the red x.

Sucks that it restarts and installs without a warning while you are in the middle of work with no chance to save.

Really looks bad for Microsoft.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Getting hammered with complaints from users where I work were it force upgraded them, they hit the red x.

Sucks that it restarts and installs without a warning while you are in the middle of work with no chance to save.

Really looks bad for Microsoft.
Can't blame them for bad IT Dept. Upgrades should have been taken care of.

But it says right there... "Based on your settings... your computer is scheduled to upgrade on...". It says right there that it is going to do it. Then it says "to cancel click here to change the settings..." etc...
You shouldn't expect that pressing X would make the update go away. It specifically says that it will be updated, and to cancel, click here..

I don't see any issue.

It almost happened to me until I read what it was trying to do. I noticed it looked different than in the past so I fiddled with it and cancelled. I had less than a minute to do so.

IISANDERII

Word of mouth, you must be kidding. The annoying nagware popup begging me to upgrade on a daily basis is sure to help with word of mouth. Along with the sleazy salesman pitches of "Reserve your free upgrade now, limited time only! Hurry!" which also turned out to be bullshit 6 months later.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I will lose MS Office if I do.
It should work after the upgrade IMO, but I understand why you don't want to take the risk.

*Shrug* I just don't feel that way unfortunately. Never once froze or crashed for me. I am not doubting you but it's just that my experience with the OS has been excellent so far.

Lots of people in this thread have posted valid reasons not to upgrade and I respect that. MS definitely should not upgrade someone's PC without their permission, it's really wrong.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If I do install Win 10, what happens to all my programs? Everything will still be compatible? I'm on Win7 64x.

Windows 10 crashes on me whenever I go hardcore in Firefox but it takes like 10 seconds to reboot so I'm like whatever lol

But 7 takes forever and a half to fully boot

gamz

Word of mouth, you must be kidding. The annoying nagware popup begging me to upgrade on a daily basis is sure to help with word of mouth. Along with the sleazy salesman pitches of "Reserve your free upgrade now, limited time only! Hurry!" which also turned out to be bullshit 6 months later.

I think he's saying Windows 10. Once you have Windows 10 installed.

Cth

There's many programs to get your keys. And from Windows 8+ on, keys are stored in the BIOS as well so even if you lose your key due to a hard drive failure, you can recover it.

Anyways, check out:
- ProduKey (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html)
- JellyBean (https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/)

jett

D-Member
That's really suspect.

Want to see how full of shit the "windows 10 is so much faster" people are?

It's so much faster guys.

Thanks for this. I'm so tired of the people here that keep not only peddling W10 but acting like some of us are idiots for not wanting to unnecessarily upgrade to another operating system.

WHY HAVENT U UPGRADED THO
WHAT ARE U WAITING FOR
JUST UPGRADE ALREADY JEEZ
BESTEST OS EVER

Jezbollah

Yea it does look bad on the IT dept. Should've installed GWX a long time ago.

It has ZERO to do with GWX. If you are using a bunch of computers in home consumer mode (not using a proper AD group policy strategy, Microsoft SCCM etc) in a corporate environment then you deserved to be fired.

Upgrades in a corporate level should be managed in a project that has testing against your corporate applications, so compatibility isn't an issue. Then rolled out by you at a time that does not cause disruption.

For any IT professional of any worth, this issue is a home consumer problem.

Thanks for this. I'm so tired of the people here that keep not only peddling W10 but acting like some of us are idiots for not wanting to unnecessarily upgrade to another operating system.

WHY HAVENT U UPGRADED THO
WHAT ARE U WAITING FOR
JUST UPGRADE ALREADY JEEZ
BESTEST OS EVER

I just attribute those posts to viral Microsoft marketers getting paid to post on forums and social media(as confirmed were joining here by Bish before e3 a few years back) or Xbox fanboys since we are on a gaming forum. Nothing wrong with thinking it's a good os if you like it, but some of the posts get a little hyperbolic of their pushing of it.

I mean...the option to change upgrade settings/cancel it is there in that window. Unless I'm missing something here (and that the options to change/cancel the upgrade after clicking that link don't work) the options to change it are there. Even then having that option in that window that small, and pushing certain "optional" updates involving Windows 10 upgrade to "recommended" comes across as sneaky and annoying.

As far as Windows 10 goes...meh. I use it at work, and for the most part it's alright. Maybe next year I'll upgrade my main desktop computer to Windows 10 when more updates come out, but for now Windows 7 works just fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom