• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft unifying PC/XB1 platforms, Phil implies Xbox moving to incremental upgrades

wapplew

Incremental upgrades seem to be the trend going forward, not just for MS, but Nintendo's NX likely will be too going by things Iwata has said. PS4 or 5 might even adopt this as well. Developers are feeling like there's too much risk these days with next generation consoles and have been making a lot of cross-gen titles. Konami even outlined that in one of their business slides that resetting the userbase to 0 every gen is killing companies and pushing companies to mobile and other forms of revenue.

Well, everyone on x86 architecture now, this is not the question of if, is when and how.
Every 2 years, 4 years, 6 years? BC and FC, BC only? It's very different.

There are several method discuss here.

Stop gap type 1: similar to typical gen, release a upgraded machine between gen. Xbox 1>Xbox 1.5 in 2-3 years> Xbox 2 in another 2-3 years. FC cut off after Xbox 2.

Stop gap type 2: similar to type 1 but FC cut off differently, dev need to support 2 machine at any time. Xbox 1>Xbox 1.5 in 2-3 years> Xbox 2 in another 2-3 years, Xbox 1 FC cut off, Xbox 2.5 in another 2-3 years, Xbox 1.5 FC cut off.

Ipad style: new machine every 1-2 years, full FC and BC.

Typical gen: release new machine every 6-7 years, full BC no FC, dev do typical port if they want bigger install base.

Feel free to add your method or correct if I'm wrong.

Quasar

Xbo32x incoming

Heh. That's what I first thought of (well that and the 3DO M2) when I realised they were talking about expansions (and how given the lack of good IO on the XBone) rather than the phone/tablet model. I of course would much prefer the latter.

And certainly I'd like Sony to do too, even if its just to put in 4k bluray support.

Nanashrew

Banned
Well, everyone on x86 architecture now, this is not the question of if, is when and how.
Every 2 years, 4 years, 6 years? BC and FC, BC only? It's very different.

There are several method discuss here.

Stop gap type 1: similar to typical gen, release a upgraded machine between gen. Xbox 1>Xbox 1.5 in 2-3 years> Xbox 2 in another 2-3 years. FC cut off after Xbox 2.

Stop gap type 2: similar to type 1 but FC cut off differently, dev need to support 2 machine at any time. Xbox 1>Xbox 1.5 in 2-3 years> Xbox 2 in another 2-3 years, Xbox 1 FC cut off, Xbox 2.5 in another 2-3 years, Xbox 1.5 FC cut off.

Ipad style: new machine every 1-2 years, full FC and BC, dev decide when they when to cut off which machine.

Typical gen: release new machine every 6-7 years, full BC no FC, dev do typical port if they want bigger install base.

Stop gap 1 looks fine.

I do also wonder if this could change option menus in games. Maybe allowing for graphical settings or framerate settings for your chosen console. I would not object to those options. But that's me speculatiing

wapplew

Stop gap 1 looks fine.

I do also wonder if this could change option menus in games. Maybe allowing for graphical settings or framerate settings for your chosen console. I would not object to those options. But that's me speculatiing

I don't think console gamers like that idea, they expect things to work, it's on dev to make sure of that.
PC is the opposite, mostly users themselves make adjustment to meet the performance they want.

Fredrik

Amazingly enough, there's a common factor that has worked in favor of the winning console in your examples that is much easier to quantify.

Price.
Maybe it's that simple, maybe it isn't. We'll probably see when the price is slashed on the old iterations whenever a new box is out but I doubt that a low price beats everything, I think it'll only take you so far before it feels like you're simply buying cheap outdated tech.

Now that NX arrives mid gen, PSVR gets launched this year and a new Xbox might arrive mid gen too, then I think the competition will be more about the hardware differences than the pricing since we'll suddenly have a whole bunch of boxes on the shelves.
MS will probably slash the price on XB1 when the next box is out and I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo does the same when NX is out even though they aren't exactly known to be aggressive with the pricing. PS4 will likely sit somewhere in the middle with PS4 but PSVR will keep the price up for the complete package. Personally I doubt that the price will be the deciding factor when buying a console forward, seems like lots of walls will break down on console gaming this generation.

Banned
Thats because it was the first forray into HD...that type of jump will never happen again unless something like VR takes off...games were still lacking on console graphically. Uc4 looks to be a gears moment imo.
Gears wasn't just the first big AAA HD game. It started the whole cover based third person shooting genre which is pretty much a staple for third person shooters now. Uncharted, Mass Effect, Binary Domain, TLOU, Tomb Raider 2013, and many other games built off of what gears 1 established.

Bastables

Gears wasn't just the first big AAA HD game. It started the whole cover based third person shooting genre which is pretty much a staple for third person shooters now. Uncharted, Mass Effect, Binary Domain, TLOU, Tomb Raider 2013, and many other games built off of what gears 1 established.

Cliffy B has said Kill switch's cover system (including blind fire) was a direct inspiration for Gears of war https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_Switch_(video_game)
Naughty Dog also cites Killswitch as it's direct influence regarding "cover based shooting".

A little confused by the PR. So, do they expect millions of people to pay for new closed boxes as tech comes out...and what do you do when the base that upgrades slows down? These aren't phones or PCs so consoles are going to hit that wall very quickly I'd imagine. I don't see why they can't just sell a different product instead of leveraging the Xbox brand.

Significantly faster
+
Best case scenario Just ahead of PS4

Extraordinary...

This folly aside, 3 - 4 years in no one is buying a PS4 or just above Xbox One+ console. A conservative estimate would be 2x Xbox One. 8 years between last and this gen was 6 - 8 times increase. After 4 years a leap in gflops in consoles measured in tflops is comical.

Ah, let me do the math to explain. The XBOX' GPU (which is what we were talking about btw) is, what, 30-40% slower than the PS4's, right? Let's say they put in a GPU which is twice as fast as the old one (in alignment with your prediction). I guess we can agree that "twice the power" is "significantly faster". But still, thanks to diminish returns it would just give it a proper edge on paper, while in real life you'll still need experts from DF to determine the differences (besides obvious differences, let's say Titanfall 2 runs 60 fps on the XBOX and 30 fps on PS4, that is).

Back to the story, thing is, it remains to be seen if enthusiasts and early adopters who always want to have the newest piece of hardware will make up for all those who want a cheap gaming machine with a great games library and a clear message: "no matter which SKU you buy from us, games on your console will always look as good as it gets!". Not to forget many early adopters of the current XBOX One who are definitly pissed because MS went PC and because they paid 500 bucks for a console which is outdated 3 years later.

Cynn

A little confused by the PR. So, do they expect millions of people to pay for new closed boxes as tech comes out...and what do you do when the base that upgrades slows down? These aren't phones or PCs so consoles are going to hit that wall very quickly I'd imagine. I don't see why they can't just sell a different product instead of leveraging the Xbox brand.
Because the product they are selling is a game console.

MilkyJoe

Ah, let me do the math to explain. The XBOX' GPU (which is what we were talking about btw) is, what, 30-40% slower than the PS4's, right? Let's say they put in a GPU which is twice as fast as the old one (in alignment with your prediction). I guess we can agree that "twice the power" is "significantly faster". But still, thanks to diminish returns it would just give it a proper edge on paper, while in real life you'll still need experts from DF to determine the differences (besides obvious differences, let's say Titanfall 2 runs 60 fps on the XBOX and 30 fps on PS4, that is).

Back to the story, thing is, it remains to be seen if enthusiasts and early adopters who always want to have the newest piece of hardware will make up for all those who want a cheap gaming machine with a great games library and a clear message: "no matter which SKU you buy from us, games on your console will always look as good as it gets!". Not to forget many early adopters of the current XBOX One who are definitly pissed because MS went PC and because they paid 500 bucks for a console which is outdated 3 years later.

You really don't have to do any maths to explain anything, with a 2 x boost you have answered your own question. But that's a conservative boost, and I don't believe that a conservative boost will be worth anyone's time, because like you said you have to draw enthusiasts as well as poach PS users and be the attractive option for new business. Additionally, they can build on the current architecture, they have the OS they have the controller options... probably going to use the same box even, so the R&D is not going to be anywhere like it was on Xbox one. And being 4 years down the line newer parts are going to be a lot cheaper. I'm not suggesting anything, but just for example, you can pick up a R9 290 for half, and some, less than it's launch price. So that said I don't think an enthusiast is going to accept a 2 x the power xbox and drop another $400+ when they are probably well aware of what things cost.

I would love and support this idea only if there's an upgrade program attached to it. If this is the route they want to go then let me send in the old hardware pay a minimum upgrade fee get new box, and keep playing all my games with better frame rate, graphics ect.

gamz

That would be a horrible idea.

Umm no......gears was not the first cover based shooter. See Killswitch. Uncharted was in development before gears even launched.

Genio88

Umm no......gears was not the first cover based shooter. See Killswitch. Uncharted was in development before gears even launched.

Uncharted was in development before Gears of War? lol
Also Uncharted cover and shooting system are not even comparable to the Gears one

You really don't have to do any maths to explain anything, with a 2 x boost you have answered your own question. But that's a conservative boost, and I don't believe that a conservative boost will be worth anyone's time, because like you said you have to draw enthusiasts as well as poach PS users and be the attractive option for new business. Additionally, they can build on the current architecture, they have the OS they have the controller options... probably going to use the same box even, so the R&D is not going to be anywhere like it was on Xbox one. And being 4 years down the line newer parts are going to be a lot cheaper. I'm not suggesting anything, but just for example, you can pick up a R9 290 for half, and some, less than it's launch price. So that said I don't think an enthusiast is going to accept a 2 x the power xbox and drop another $400+ when they are probably well aware of what things cost.

Agreed. Guess they'll put in the best GPU available, but at the same time make sure price stays below $400. I really have no idea if they will be able to use a GPU with more than twice the power, as other components will certainly be upgraded as well, so, yes, it's a conservative guess.

MilkyJoe

Agreed. Guess they'll put in the best GPU available, but at the same time make sure price stays below $400. I really have no idea if they will be able to use a GPU with more than twice the power, as other components will certainly be upgraded as well, so, yes, it's a conservative guess.

Which brings us full circle to what Phil was saying about that UWA or what ever it was which is irrespective of the hardware... Maybe we need to take that on face value.

I can't see them saying something and then it not being true though. We all thought the Xbone couldn't do BC, but they found a way around it. Just have to see what happens, and hope that whatever it is, they don't fuck it up again.,

onQ123

Xbox as a Console is over & what they will be releasing will be Windows devices, will they keep the Xbox name for their STBs? I can't say for sure I'm thinking that we will get something like a SurfaceTV or whatever they will call it & they will move from making Xbox games to making Universal Windows Platform games.

Because the product they are selling is a game console.

Multimedia Computer

Zedox

Xbox as a Console is over & what they will be releasing will be Windows devices, will they keep the Xbox name for their STBs? I can't say for sure I'm thinking that we will get something like a SurfaceTV or whatever they will call it & they will move from making Xbox games to making Universal Windows Platform games.

Multimedia Computer

Xbox 360 was a multimedia computer, as was the PS3, as is the XBO and PS4.

My phone and tablet are multimedia computers. My PS4 and 360 are games consoles.

We've already seen the utter failure of the XBone to be a one-stop-shop for multimedia. Multimedia features are a nice addition, but noone buys a games console because it has a Netflix app or because they can check facebook in the console browser.
People use their smart TVs, chromecasts, miracasting tablets and phones because they're a lot better than trying to control your TV with a games controller.

Any incremental update strategy will fail, because people don't want to constantly upgrade their console, and the small install base of an Xbox1.5 means that Devs will just continue to release for the old generation - further reducing the incentive to upgrade.

Outside of hardcore competitive gamers, the improvements in gaming tech over 2-3 years are practically unnoticeable. People that really want 1080p60 and can't take 920p or 30fps are a very small part of the market. Generations are long because it takes a big improvement in tech (like XBox to 360 to XBone) to provide a big selling point for the new consoles.

Phones work very differently, partly because the tech is moving a lot faster but mostly because wear and tear on a phone tends to require replacement every 2 years or so.

What I think we will see is better backwards compatibility, and probably "universal game apps" that you buy from the MS store and can cross-play on a PC or any qualifying console.

Also Uncharted cover and shooting system are not even comparable to the Gears one

It was...unless you think they made uncharted in less then a year? What's so lol? How good you think the cover system is is irrelevant. Uncharted came out less then a year after gears in 2007..it was in development way before gears launched and both devs said killswitch was their inspiration...

onQ123

Xbox 360 was a multimedia computer, as was the PS3, as is the XBO and PS4.

Yes but the difference is that Xbox One & whatever they call the next version isn't a completely walled garden because the apps & games don't have to be made for just the Xbox One thanks to UWP & once the games move from Xbox games to UWP games this so called console can be sold by Dell & other companies if they decide to make a Windows 10 STB but I guess Xbox will be like Surface compared to the other Windows 10 tablets.

Markoman

Why aren't they adding M&K support for MP games in the future?
Just to stick the last dagger into the back of what made 360 popular.
And please MS, while you're at it, make any future Xbox hackable, because MP without cheaters is only half the fun.
I'm not an MP guy anymore, but I find it strange that no one stresses the fact that you'll have guys with better performance, resolution, maybe Elite controllers and some pay to win stuff going against the 'regular' guys if MS is trying to pull this of in the future.
Hm, maybe I'm just out of touch and competitive MP games are just about having fun now.

Kathian

Banned
Who cares. Gears made cover based shooters in the same way MW made FPS multiplayer. Uncharted's more fluid moving cover to cover was ultimately what lasted but sometimes I can't believe the petty arguments that erupt over accepted facts.

RedSwirl

Gears is the game that made cover shooters popular, and that's really what matters market-wise.

Not that simple either.
PS2 was the sequel to Playstation which was super popular, it was destined to sell a lot, the hype before the launch was also all about how powerful it was, that it was better to wait for PS2 than buy a DC. PS2 had a crazy amount of first and third party exclusives too which was very important back then.

Xbox got surprisingly popular considering that it came later, launched at an expensive price point and was a completely new box on the market. Xbox is actually a good example that power matters, without the power it would've sold even worse considering it brought very few other new things to the table.

I also think 360 became popular for the performance reason since every dev seemed to struggle with the PS3 ports and everything was better on 360. Online gaming was a huge part of it too of course.

This gen it's an even field when it comes to functionalities and exclusives aren't as important, so far I think it's all about PS4 simply because there are few reasons to buy a multiplat for XB1 when the PS4 versions are always best.
But what happens if there is a more powerful box out there later on? Or even two boxes if NX is powerful too. Will you still keep buying PS4 versions of multiplats?

I actually don't think hardware power has ever been the deciding factor.

With PS2 Sony just managed to maintain its momentum coming out of PS1 (something very hard to do), probably had good marketing, and being a relatively cheap DVD player in 2000 was a nice bonus. The first killer app for the PS2 was probably The Matrix on DVD. Tekken Tag Tournament turned heads then too.

Xbox did about as well as the Gamecube did worldwide, but came out of the gate with Halo: Combat Evolved -- probably one of the best games to ever make it in time for a console's launch.

For a lot of core gamers performance was probably a factor with the 360 (and is today with the PS4), but I really think it was more about the overall service and OS of the system. Live was better than PSN. The 360 had new features people discovered they wanted like party chat, in-game OS screen, custom soundtracks, achievements, and it got a boost from a bunch of PC developers crossing over to consoles with games that directly appealed to western gamers.

Today I think the main reason the PS4 is ahead is because Microsoft fucked up its marketing message from the start. I don't even think Sony has done anything all that great this gen. It just didn't make any mistakes and is kind of winning by default because people had been waiting on a new console for so long.

Crayon

The closure of Lionhead and Press Play reaffirms my belief that we aren't going to get a true next xbox. Or rather, the next xbox will be more like an apple tv competitor. More like a portal to the windows store that a self-contained platform. Might work?

etta

my hard graphic balls

It was...unless you think they made uncharted in less then a year? What's so lol? How good you think the cover system is is irrelevant. Uncharted came out less then a year after gears in 2007..it was in development way before gears launched and both devs said killswitch was their inspiration...
And Gears was in development before even that?
Lmao. What the hell are you trying to argue?
Gears defined cover third person shooter, it set the bar and influenced everything that came after it. Not to mention Uncharted 1's cover mechanics were terrible.

Krisprolls

Banned
The closure of Lionhead and Press Play reaffirms my belief that we aren't going to get a true next xbox. Or rather, the next xbox will be more like an apple tv competitor. More like a portal to the windows store that a self-contained platform. Might work?

Yes. Wouldn't make sense to close the studios then release another console. They're pulling out.

gamz

Gears defined cover third person shooter, it set the bar and influenced everything that came after it. Not to mention Uncharted 1's cover mechanics were terrible.

They are far from terrible and it was already being made so how did gears influence it? Again both Epic and ND said Killswitch was their inspiration. I'll treust them over you.

Zedox

Windows 10 “Redstone 2” Delayed Until New Microsoft Hardware Hits in Early 2017

It doesn't mention anything about Xbox, but we might not see a refresh this year??

We don't know what that hardware will be, doesn't necessarily mean that they won't release a SB2 or SP5 or Band3 this year...they could be other devices, who knows. We'll have to wait to see what they announce. Also I think E3 would be the best place for them to announce new hardware but I wouldn't put it past MS to start clunking in Xbox hardware with the rest of the crew (it makes sense since they are under the same team now)

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Uncharted came out in 2007, so of course it was in development before Gears came out in 2006. How are they not comparable? They are nearly identical. Take cover, cover shooting, switch cover, blind fire, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UaM-b3pvJk

Killswitch is 2003 and has the same mechanics.

Svafnir

Yes gears didn't invent it. Shooters like killswitch and what not came before it. Who cares though?

Anyway. I'm excited for Microsoft's new approach, gives me a chance to play some of those exclusives I miss, since I only own a PS4 and PC.

Trup1aya

we already know that the Xbox store will be merged with the Windows store. But the next Xbox will still have the power to deliver experiences that people expect from modern gaming consoles.

And considering the UWP requirement to get into the win10 store, it will still a be pretty self contained.

I don't think this marks a departure from the console market. It just means that MS' next console will potentially access and run a lot more content.

I also don't think these two studious were particularly influential in the decision

We may also get a win10 Apple TV competitor, and it may even have Xbox branding, but that would be in addition to more traditional hardware.

cakely

Uncharted was certainly in development before Gears of War was released. It's a statement of fact and not an attack on a Microsoft IP. Stand down, soldiers.

GamerJM

Banned
I don't like this idea of incremental upgrades. I don't think I should have to buy new consoles every couple of years if I want the best performance for my games. I mean, I will if I have to, but that's money I'd rather save elsewhere. It's even worse because I don't like to sell my consoles for collecting reasons, so I won't get any tradein discounts or whatever. If they do it every ~four years or so then it's fine, but more frequently than that will piss me off.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Uncharted was certainly in development before Gears of War was released. It's a statement of fact and not an attack on a Microsoft IP. Stand down, soldiers.
So what's the point of bringing it in the argument then?
I'm sure other games where in development before Modern Warfare came out, that doesn't mean it wasn't an influence or that it didn't set any standards.
Also, funny you should mention soldiers, implying a war, when he was the one who brought the Uncharted v. Gears in the first place.
*Brings war into argument.
*Gets warrish argument countered
*"Stand down, soldiers"
You really do just go around in Xbox threads and shoot down any counter-arguments you see, without even noting who started them.

cakely

I'm sure other games where in development before Modern Warfare came out, that doesn't mean it wasn't an influence or that it didn't set any standards.
Also, funny you should mention soldiers, implying a war, when he was the one who brought the Uncharted v. Gears in the first place.

He was correcting someone who said that Gears of War "started the whole cover based third person shooting genre", which it didn't.

It wasn't an attack against a Microsoft IP, or even an argument, but it sure drew responses as if it was: "lmao", "lol", "what the hell".

*Brings war into argument.
*Gets warrish argument countered
*"Stand down, soldiers"
You really do just go around in Xbox threads and shoot down any counter-arguments you see, without even noting who started them.

Umm maybe don't jump into conversations...someone else brought it up first, people responded. That's how conversations work. People brought up gears influence in uncharted, they were corrected. You sound awful defensive over this. Nothing that was said was not true or any kind of console war attack on Gears.

loki0wn

What if it includes sponsored trade in deals w/ Amazon and Gamestop that get you something for sub $200 at any time? You can trade in a Xbox 1 for an Xbox 2 for $200, but when the Xbox 3 comes out but you stayed on the Xbox 1, it is still $200. Just like the iPhone models and will allow staggered improvements that are backwards compatible and pivotal relatively easily?

Maybe require a two year contract for Xbox Gold, but still provide good games for free.

Imagine if they become the exclusive Oculus console box?

They can even take the old machines they're receiving and replace their guts where applicable. Super scalable.

AmyS

Developers had to wrap their noggins around multi-core processing as well. IIRC, it wasn't very well fleshed out at that point time.

Yeah that's right, multi-core processing was probably the most difficult aspect of making HD games for consoles in '2005/2006. Xenon and Cell were more complex (and more hamstrung) than the dual core Intel processors, which were only just making their way into consumer PCs (right guys?)

I guess it is fair to say that Nintendo's struggle with developing their first HD games on Wii U in 2011 - 2013, it probably wasn't unlike what the most of the rest of the industry was going through during 2005 - 2007.

Bizzquik

I was amazed at how many different ideas people were putting forth as to what the hell Phil was actually implying, or - for that matter - his logic behind it. Glad he provided some sort of clarification via the Major Nelson interview.

My guess: I think he wants to treat Xbox the way Microsoft treats Surface. Which is to say, an annual or bi-annual refresh that runs all of the previous Microsoft software, has increased performance, and cosmetic improvements. Its what Apple does with its electronic devices, its what Samsung does with its electronic devices, etc, etc.

Perhaps the company's Universal Windows Platform architecture makes this fairly easy for developers to optimize for multiple console specs...??
If that were to be true, and if Microsoft goes ahead with this....are we ready for consoles to be treated the same way as an iPad or Surface...?

onQ123

This is Microsoft's way of taking back the PC & having a walled garden like Apple & so on.

on the PC side UWP is a hard sale to get devs to limit themselves to the Windows Store but it will be easier to get devs who are making games for Xbox One to agree to make UWP games because that mean they can make the game once & have it play on Xbox One & more Windows 10 devices.

Top Bottom