• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: "We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics"

Freki

Yeah, only 100 million consoles sold and billions of dollars of money made during 5 years. I mean look at the competition. Nintendo must be kicking themselves because they didn't choose the HD route when PS3 and X360 did.

How much did a Wii cost? How much for 360 and PS3?
Did the HD twins have motion gaming?

That's what sold the wii to millions of casuals...

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
If they didn't target high end graphics why are they charging more for their system than their competitor who has higher end graphics?

Because they're prioritizing the wrong thing.

As far as high end PCs vs. PS4, PS4's exclusives will not be on PC, so if you like its exclusives, yeah you're going to need a PS4.

You need more evidence than what? Microsoft coming out and saying it?

I think most people expected PS4 games to clearly look better than Xbone games at E3 and they did not.......in fact some Xbone games looked better and had higher frame rates than the PS4 games.
Am excited to see the first head to head multiplatform tear downs and comparisons.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Instead, they targeted putting Kinect 2.0 in every SKU with Xbone. Motion-based gaming is dead. Should have spent the money on a beefier GPU.

I was thinking they could have integrated a mic array into the console for very cheap and kept the voice stuff. They should have ditched the arm waving crap and saved the cash.

I think most people expected PS4 games to clearly look better than Xbone games at E3 and they did not.......in fact some Xbone games looked significantly better and had higher frame rates than the PS4 games.

You compared the same game on the two consoles? Otherwise you are comparing apples to oranges, two different games with different engines at different stages of development by different developers means very little.

Rains

Its all comes down the games for me i would like 720p60fps or 1080p 60fps what i dont want is games with screen tearing and low 30fps ie dead rising 3

Marleyman

Banned
If they didn't target high end graphics why are they charging more for their system than their competitor who has higher end graphics?

Kinect..Kinect..Kinect. Kinect.

Those that are implying that motion gaming is dead probably never enjoyed it in the first place, don't have kids who enjoy it immensely. My cousins loved the shit out of Kinect adventures, I enjoyed the mic capabilities and look forward to seeing what the new Kinect can do.

TheCloser

Banned
E3 proved that specs don't matter that much. All the big games looked great, many looked fun, I think we will survive whatever the amount of flops and RAM.

Wrong. E3 proved nothing especially on the Xbox one side as very few games were running on Xbox one dev kits. The ones that were running on Xbox one dev kits looked unimpressive at best. The games that looked impressive at Microsoft's conference were running on pc. So yea...

Krisprolls

Banned
I think most people expected PS4 games to clearly look better than Xbone games at E3 and they did not.......in fact some Xbone games looked significantly better and had higher frame rates than the PS4 games.

Am excited to see the first head to head multiplatform tear downs and comparisons.

Different games... Infamous Second Son looked a lot better technically than what we saw on XB1 (outside maybe of MGS5 but it was running on a PC). We can't judge anything from videos 6 months before release anyway.

The point is every multiplatform game will probably run significantly better on PS4. Still, with diminishing returns, I don't think we'll see huge differences in graphics this gen, outside of PS4 exclusives maybe.

tinfoilhatman

I was thinking they could have integrated a mic array into the console for very cheap and kept the voice stuff. They should have ditched the arm waving crap and saved the cash.

You compared the same game on the two consoles? Otherwise you are comparing apples to oranges, two different games with different engines at different stages of development by different developers means very little.

How does that change the fact that most of us expected to be blown away by the PS4 games # E3 and beyond a couple flashes of greatness it was a lot of "so that's it?"

Right now I'm still in the PS4 camp for my first next gen console purchase but I expected a HELL of a lot more at E3 than what we got.

Whompa

I think most people expected PS4 games to clearly look better than Xbone games at E3 and they did not.......in fact some Xbone games looked better and had higher frame rates than the PS4 games.

Name them.

The best thing that Microsoft can do now is just shut their goddamn mouths.

Its like a QTE and they pressing all the wrong buttons.

Interfectum

Those that are implying that motion gaming is dead probably never enjoyed it in the first place, don't have kids who enjoy it immensely. My cousins loved the shit out of Kinect adventures, I enjoyed the mic capabilities and look forward to seeing what the new Kinect can do.

Still should be optional.

The argument that more 3rd parties will use it if it's packed in is irrelevant because of multiplatform development. PC and PS4 will not have a mandatory kinect style camera therefore most Xbox One games will have surface level kinect functionality anyway.

diffusionx

Gold Member
You really can't draw any conclusions on games or hardware capability from E3. Absolutely none.

I was surprised DF did just that in their articles. Really poor work.

Orayn

It's cute that you think you'll get 1080p with msaa in a 32MB framebuffer on xbox, or that you'll get msaa with deferred shading on ps4 for that matter.

Seems the only way to get decent image quality next gen will be SSAA like in planetside 2 or metro last light or Arma. And for that you 'll need a powerful pc, not a hd7850.

Then 2 years in they'll feel the need to push effects and post processing crap to add more noise and clutter to give the perception of 'better' graphics , just like they did this gen, and then the framerate will be the first thing to go, again....

We can only hope ps4 and xbox will NOT 'keep pace' with pc graphics but will for once in console's miserable lives try to keep the framerate steady, the image quality intact and the not cut off frames, so that we can all enjoy untainted gameplay.

Wasn't MSAA on 360 more a function of the logic units surrounding the 10MB of eDRAM than the amount of eDRAM there? 32MB actually gives them more legroom for a 1080p framebuffer than 10MB did for 720p, so the feasibility of MSAA would depend more on other things.

SMZC

Console users care about power to a certain point. There's really no question that they don't need the highest end stuff, because if they did, nobody would be playing on Xbox 360 or PS3 right now. Obviously lots of people are, even though PCs can run many of the games better.

True.

Going back to the original point, though, Microsoft's decision to not target high-end graphics is not bad per se. At least, it's not bad in regards to the casual gamer userbase, which is always the one that decides the success or failure of a system. It is horribly bad when you couple it with the higher price, though. People are just not going to pay $100 more knowing that it's a less powerful system. This is a difference that even casual gamers will be aware of, and trust me, it will come to bite Microsoft in the ass. Even having the same price would be bad for Microsoft, given the hardware disparity; being $100 more expensive is downright insane.

Liamario

Banned
You aren't comparing like to like though. So your point doesn't really stand up to much scrutiny.

tinfoilhatman

Name them.

OK Forza5 versus Drive club for example and don't gimme some lame fanboy warrior answer like "well it's open world bla bla bla"

Again I'm looking forward to PS4 more(at this point) but I certainly wasn't blow away by what they showed at E3.

Please point out to me where you see a "50% power advantage" that so many people here throw around like it's a fact.

strata8

Wrong. E3 proved nothing especially on the Xbox one side as very few games were running on Xbox one dev kits. The ones that were running on Xbox one dev kits looked unimpressive at best. The games that looked impressive at Microsoft's conference were running on pc. So yea...

What were the impressive titles that weren't running on dev kits?

Interfectum

Please point out to me where you see a "50% power advantage" that so many people here throw around like it's a fact.

As said a million times before the power advantage will show itself over time. We may see inklings of it this year but it probably won't be totally apparent until devs have more time with PS4 and aren't developing cross-gen games.

Ushae

Banned

Ditto, my son loves it and I find it's uses for us core gamer fascinating (DS4 touchpad too!)

Gamers who try and 'represent' all of us, most of which have never even attempted to use the device, are tiring to say the least. Some of us have families guys..

Alx

According to Digital Foundry, it was the exact opposite. The most visually impressive games (Forza, Ryse, TitanFall) were running on Xbox hardware, and the game that was struggling the most (Dead Rising 3) was running on PC.
The only game with the "looks great but sadly runs on PC" effect that I know of was BF4.

Marleyman

Banned
Ditto, my son loves it and I find it's uses for us core gamer fascinating (DS4 touchpad too!)

Gamers who try and 'represent' all of us, most of which have never even attempted to use the device, are tiring to say the least. Some of us have families guys..

Those voices dominate the Kinect talk though, which is a shame considering the tech behind Kinect 2 is awesome from what I have seen.

gatti-man

Unless ms is money hatting Devs it will look equal or better on the ps4. There is zero reason for it not to. Ps4 is more powerful the the Xbox one. This is a hard fact.

Those voices dominate the Kinect talk though, which is a shame considering the tech behind Kinect 2 is awesome from what I have seen.
I had kinect and to me its a flawed idea. Kinect is a side show. A 30 minute fun session with friends. It isn't why I buy a console and I have yet to play or see 1 compelling piece of software that has sold me on kinect 1 or 2. Its a gimmicky add on in my experience and certainly should not add a full $100 to the price at launch. Kinect could very well bury MS. Casuals aren't spending $500 core people are.

TheCloser

Banned

There was not one Xbox one game that looked better than any ps4 game. You do realize that the only games running on Xbox one dev kits were ryse, Killer instinct, and forza and they were all unimpressive at best. The other games from the Microsoft conference were running on pc. Microsoft is playing a dangerous game with bait and switch. When the Xbox one comes out, come back to gaf and read the threads, people are going to be pissed.
Some will attempt to take refugee in a satisfaction thread but it will be of no use. It will be just like when the vita was selling less than 10k in Japan. People will bash it from heaven to hell, all day and night.

strata8

So they've suddenly upped the Xbone's specs?

No, but you know as well as I do that he wasn't talking about the specs.

Lol, there was not one Xbox one game that looked better than any ps4 game. You do realize that the only games running on Xbox one dev kits were ryse, Killer instinct, and forza and they were all unimpressive at best.

Did you just say Forza 5 was "unimpressive at best"?

You're not even trying to hide your bias.

TheCloser

Banned
According to Digital Foundry, it was the exact opposite. The most visually impressive games (Forza, Ryse, TitanFall) were running on Xbox hardware, and the game that was struggling the most (Dead Rising 3) was running on PC.
The only game with the "looks great but sadly runs on PC" effect that I know of was BF4.

You should then go ask all the gaming sites why none of those games won best looking game at e3. I'm also quite sure that digital foundry spoke mainly about the performance of those games at this stage. They were impressed by that. None of those games have impressive visuals, especially not ryse. I don't know if we can even consider ryse to be a game. It's not even press a to win but now don't press anything at all.

Marleyman

Banned
Lol, there was not one Xbox one game that looked better than any ps4 game. You do realize that the only games running on Xbox one dev kits were ryse, Killer instinct, and forza and they were all unimpressive at best.

Wait, Ryse, KI and Forza were "unimpressive at best?" What is your criteria?

TheCloser said:
Microsoft is playing a dangerous game with bait and switch. When the Xbox one comes out, come back to gaf and read the threads, people are going to be pissed.
Some will attempt to take refugee in a satisfaction thread but it will be of no use. It will be just like when the vita was selling less than 10k in Japan. People will bash it from heaven to hell, all day and night.

Oh, that explains your comment.

diffusionx

Gold Member

No, they dominate the talk on GAF and IGN and other sites, where most posters are young single students. You can look at the 360's sales trajectory and see the system was basically flatlining until Kinect/redesign/price cut paired with a more Wii-like marketing focus. The system has been the #1 selling console ever since.

I haven't really liked the change in focus but you can't deny the numbers. There's a reason why MS is going in this direction with the One... although the One's game lineup is a lot better than I would've thought (and, sad to say, probably better than PS4 right now).

jim2011

Unless ms is money hatting Devs it will look equal or better on the ps4. There is zero reason for it not to. Ps4 is more powerful the the Xbox one. This is a hard fact.

You're probably right that's it's more powerful but calling it a hard fact is absurd when the specs haven't been released yet. . I don't see how you can call it a fact.

gatti-man

Lol, there was not one Xbox one game that looked better than any ps4 game. You do realize that the only games running on Xbox one dev kits were ryse, Killer instinct, and forza and they were all unimpressive at best. The other games from the Microsoft conference were running on pc. Microsoft is playing a dangerous game with bait and switch. When the Xbox one comes out, come back to gaf and read the threads, people are going to be pissed.

I thought killer instinct and forza looked pretty hawt tbh.

You're probably right that's it's more powerful but calling it a hard fact is absurd when the specs haven't been released yet. . I don't see how you can call it a fact.
Specs are out MS isn't denying them. Unless we see a giant reversal and everyone is wrong then yes it's a hard fact. Its too late for MS to change specs without delaying launch. Best case scenario they remove kinect and cut price to 399.

strata8

It's absolutely a fact using the specs that we know of. Whether that will make a significant, noticeable difference in games is the unknown variable here.

Orayn

Sony chose a good balance between power and price. The same can't be said for MS thanks to Kinect.

I think people are overestimating how much Kinect costs; The extra $100 also includes bad eSRAM yields and pure hubris on Microsoft's part.

TheCloser

Banned
No, but you know as well as I do that he wasn't talking about the specs.

Did you just say Forza 5 was "unimpressive at best"?

You're not even trying to hide your bias.

Don't worry, I prefer the PlayStation 4 but forza is unimpressive. Baked lighting, no physics based damage model, cardboard looking buildings to name a few reasons. Very unimpressive. Even current gen games are attempting to move away from baked lighting.

Cidd

I think people are overestimating how much Kinect costs; The extra $100 also includes bad eSRAM yields and pure hubris on Microsoft's part.

I think it has more to do with kinect 2.0 and those 300k private servers they have.

I find it hilarious that some people are treating the fact that if PS4 games look the same as the Xbone's it's bad news for Sony, when it's the other way around, PS4 is $100 cheaper.

Don't worry, I prefer the PlayStation 4 but forza is unimpressive. Baked lighting, no physics based damage model, cardboard looking buildings to name a few reasons. Very unimpressive. Even current gen games are attempting to move away from baked lighting.

Damaged model isn't that more license based. On the cardboard looking building google prague explains more then enough. They did improve massively in the windows and glass reflection in cock pit view.

OK Forza5 versus Drive club for example and don't gimme some lame fanboy warrior answer like "well it's open world bla bla bla"

Again I'm looking forward to PS4 more(at this point) but I certainly wasn't blow away by what they showed at E3.

I don't know why people are using what they saw at E3 to judge the difference in power.

Different games, different builds, unfinished games. I think we have to wait for 2nd gen games to really see a difference. But maby not since it's been said by certain developers that the PS4 has the graphics edge and you'll see it in games.

But it is a fact. This has been known already. The specs are out there. And they have been explained in detail by VGL and DF. Why people still deny PS4's power advantage i have no idea.

Whether we will see that advantage is up to developers.

guch20

Banned
I've just never understood the appeal. Camera input never as precise as a controller and most of the uses they've shown for the Kinect (and the Xbone itself) outside of gaming look like gimmicks, at best (IMHO of course).

I mean, honestly, can you see yourself in five years still happy to be waving your arms around to open menus on your TV when tapping a remote button is so much more convenient (or speaking to your TV when tapping a button is faster and quieter)?

Can you even imagine regularly shrinking down your screen's useable area so that it only takes about 1/3 of your screen so you can Skype while watching TV/playing a game when that's both intrusive and needlessly complicated (and much better handled by a tablet or smartphone off to the side)?

How long will you allow game invites to pop up over your favorite TV shows and sports games before you turn that shit off?

When people try to explain the Xbone's higher price as being a function of the extra non-gaming stuff it can do, I can't help but chuckle knowing how unpopular those features will be shortly after launch.

Alx

You should then go ask all the gaming sites why none of those games won best looking game at e3.

I'm not trying to start a competition about "which is the very best looking". My point is that all games looked fine, so the specs are fine, whatever they are, whatever the console.
As far as I'm concerned, the more visually pleasing game of the show was Bayonetta 2, so much for the specs...

TheCloser

Banned
Wait, Ryse, KI and Forza were "unimpressive at best?" What is your criteria?

Oh, that explains your comment.

I'm not implying that the Xbox will sell less than 10k a week because that's impossible. I'm saying that the attitude on gaf will be like the attitude here when the vita was selling less than 10k.

Top Bottom