• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: "We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics"

guch20

Banned
I don't know why people are using what they saw at E3 to judge the difference in power.

Different games, different builds, unfinished games. I think we have to wait for 2nd gen games to really see a difference. But maby not since it's been said by certain developers that the PS4 has the graphics edge and you'll see it in games.

But it is a fact. This has been known already. The specs are out there. And they have been explained in detail by VGL and DF. Why people still deny PS4's power advantage i have no idea.

Whether we will see that advantage is up to developers.
The key is that they're different games by different developers. To get a real taste of the difference is going to take a little bit of time, but mostly will require comparing the same game side-by-side between the two versions.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
There was not one Xbox one game that looked better than any ps4 game. You do realize that the only games running on Xbox one dev kits were ryse, Killer instinct, and forza and they were all unimpressive at best. The other games from the Microsoft conference were running on pc. Microsoft is playing a dangerous game with bait and switch. When the Xbox one comes out, come back to gaf and read the threads, people are going to be pissed.
Some will attempt to take refugee in a satisfaction thread but it will be of no use. It will be just like when the vita was selling less than 10k in Japan. People will bash it from heaven to hell, all day and night.

OMG and someone comes out and says good looking Xbone games are a CONSPIRACY..........I knew it was only a matter of time.

Wow some of you people really are a great piece of work, it would do you good to put down the controller and games warrior shields and try to integrate with the real world once in awhile.

pushBAK

Still should be optional.

The argument that more 3rd parties will use it if it's packed in is irrelevant because of multiplatform development. PC and PS4 will not have a mandatory kinect style camera therefore most Xbox One games will have surface level kinect functionality anyway.

Thank you. Bundling Kinect means almost nothing for AAA titles released on multiple platforms. It's a gimmick through and through, and a waste or developer resources.

TheCloser

Banned
Damaged model isn't that more license based. On the cardboard looking building google prague explains more then enough. They did improve massively in the windows and glass reflection in cock pit view.

I know what Prague looks like and the buildings don't look like they are made out of cardboard. The damage modelling I've seen in videos is similar to that on most wanted ps vita. The game is obviously better looking than that but the damage modelling is poor. I doubt that it's license based because then the other forzas should be like that.

Marleyman

Banned
No, they dominate the talk on GAF and IGN and other sites, where most posters are young single students. You can look at the 360's sales trajectory and see the system was basically flatlining until Kinect/redesign/price cut paired with a more Wii-like marketing focus. The system has been the #1 selling console ever since.

I get that, and GAF is more of a hardcore gamer site than most. Denying it's appeal though and why MS is doing what they are doing is what I don't get from these posters.

guch20

Banned
I think it has more to do with kinect 2.0 and those 300k private servers they have.

I find it hilarious that some people are treating the fact that if PS4 games look the same as the Xbone's it's bad news for Sony, when it's the other way around, PS4 is $100 cheaper.

Not to mention the games aren't done and, if reports by several outlets are to be believed, PS4 devs were completely floored when it was announced how much and what kind of RAM the machine would have. They haven't been programming up to spec, which is going to make the games look less impressive.

tinfoilhatman

I don't know why people are using what they saw at E3 to judge the difference in power.

Different games, different builds, unfinished games. I think we have to wait for 2nd gen games to really see a difference. But maby not since it's been said by certain developers that the PS4 has the graphics edge and you'll see it in games.

But it is a fact. This has been known already. The specs are out there. And they have been explained in detail by VGL and DF. Why people still deny PS4's power advantage i have no idea.

Whether we will see that advantage is up to developers.

What exactly are we supposed to use to judge the graphical power of the system if not screenshots from actual games?

I'm not arguing the specs, I'm saying the proof is in the pudding and the fact is we just haven't seen it yet and what we have seen doesn't line up with all the rumors we've been hearing over the last 6 months.

strata8

Thank you. Bundling Kinect means almost nothing for AAA titles released on multiple platforms. It's a gimmick through and through, and a waste or developer resources.

Nice work restricting the criteria there. What about exclusive AAA games or smaller games on the Xbox One?

guch20

Banned
Its better to just wait until launch to make a judgement. But ps4 is still more 'capable' no matter how you try to spin it.
2013_%2525206_19_11_49.jpg

TheCloser

Banned
OMG and someone comes out and says good looking Xbone games are a CONSPIRACY..........I knew it was only a matter of time.

Wow some of you people really are a great piece of work, it would do you good to put down the controller and games warrior shields and try to integrate with the real world once in awhile.

Can you read? Have you been paying attention to gaf lately? If you have, you would have seen that several Xbox one games were running on pc's containing GTX 7xx cards begin masquerade as dev kits. A GTX 7xx is at least 2 times more powerful than an xbox one console.

guch20

Banned
Nice work restricting the criteria there. What about exclusive AAA games or smaller games on the Xbox One?
I don't think it's restricting the criteria when the vast majority of games are multiplatform and will not utilize the Kinect in any meaningful way.

guch20

Banned
What exactly are we supposed to use to judge the graphical power of the system if not screenshots from actual games?

I'm not arguing the specs, I'm saying the proof is in the pudding and the fact is we just haven't seen it yet and what we have seen doesn't line up with all the rumors we've been hearing over the last 6 months.
Because what we've seen so far are completed games and are totally indicative of what these consoles are capable of in total.

The PS4 is more powerful but not as big of a difference as people think, and certainly will not have the impact in games people are expecting, especially with diminishing returns compared to PS2 vs Xbox era, we're talking a modern GPU with programmable shaders, hardware powered bump mapping and normal mapping, twice the available ram with greater speed yet we still saw games like God of War 2 that beat a lot of Xbox games.

When you compare PC games running on 1.2TF vs 1.8TF GPUs, the difference is basically defined by framerate while running the same exact effects and AA. In the case of PS4 vs X1, if BF4 is running 60fps on the PS4 while running 4xAA, you might find that the X1 version is also running 60fps but with just 2xAA and maybe a few tweaks to the shadow details to bring the framerate up to par, you'll literally need to compare these side by side in stills to point at the difference, which is cool for sites like Digital Foundry and to spark fanboy talk, but nothing significant that would make people choose one console over the other, the games should still be the number 1 reason for choosing, and looking at PS2 vs Xbox differences and as big as that was, the mainstream chose games. "Yooo, did you see Vice City? I want that game, gettin a PS2 cause Xbox doesn't have it" Just a 6 month exclusivity made that much of a difference, imagine what a year of Dude bro of Duty creators Titanfall could potentially do...

People expecting a drastic difference between PS4 and X1 are in for great disappointment.

jaypah

I don't have a problem with the 180 specs, the games look fine so far. The PS4 will pump out better looking games, as it should. My next PC upgrade will pump out better looking games than my PS4, as it should. I also had a lot of fun with both cameras this Gen so I'm excited for their successors as well, though Sony made the right decision by making it optional.

guch20

Banned
"Meaningful" is entirely subjective.
Define it how you like. No developer putting together a multiplatform title is going to spend the extra capital and manpower to program some intricate set of functions specifically for a camera device that the PS4 doesn't come packed with. By not packaging their camera with their console, Sony basically cut Kinect off at the knees, unless you enjoy shouting "grenade!" to toss a grenade, rather than simply pressing the X button. Because that's probably as far as most multiplatform games are going to go.

tinfoilhatman

Because what we've seen so far are completed games and are totally indicative of what these consoles are capable of in total.

The same could be said for both PS4 and Xbone and Gaf told me that Xbone "developers are at least 6 months behind" Sony developers on next gen games and that the PS4 is much easier to develop for AND 50% more powerful.

So would logic not dictate that if Sony's machine is 50% more powerful, easier to develop for and half a year ahead in game development wouldn't YOU expect to see games looking head and shoulder above the competition?

Sorry I know trying to use logic and common sense here at Gaf is a bannable offence but does no one else see my perspective here?!?!?!?!?

Kyon

Banned
The same could be said for both PS4 and Xbone and Gaf told me that Xbone "developers are at least 6 months behind" Sony developers on next gen games and that the PS4 is much easier to develop for AND 50% more powerful.

So would logic not dictate that if Sony's machine is 50% more powerful, easier to develop for and half a year ahead in game development would YOU expect to see games looking head and shoulder above the competition?

Sorry I know trying to use logic and common sense here at Gaf is a bannable offence but does no one else see my perspective here?!?!?!?!?

Except Dark Sorcerer alone looked better than anything MS showed

strata8

Define it how you like. No developer putting together a multiplatform title is going to spend the extra capital and manpower to program some intricate set of functions specifically for a camera device that the PS4 doesn't come packed with. By not packaging their camera with their console, Sony basically cut Kinect off at the knees, unless you enjoy shouting "grenade!" to toss a grenade, rather than simply pressing the X button. Because that's probably as far as most multiplatform games are going to go.

That's fair enough. But in some games, like Skyrim, the voice controls really do make a massive difference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qk5TljuJtE

Purely looking at the E3 stuff I think one could make a strong point that Killzone, Infamous, The Order and The Sorcerer demo (if you want to count that) look better than anything on Xbone.

I think this perfectly lines up with the "rumors". PS4 specs are confirmed and this is as good a confirmation you will get for the Xbone:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-spec-analysis-xbox-one
It is in line with the VGleaks info which has been spot on in every regard. If anything there are downclock rumors and some GAF insiders saying that E3 games will look better than what we will get for launch. (Which would be in line with most games running on PC).

MercuryLS

Banned
According to Digital Foundry, it was the exact opposite. The most visually impressive games (Forza, Ryse, TitanFall) were running on Xbox hardware, and the game that was struggling the most (Dead Rising 3) was running on PC.
The only game with the "looks great but sadly runs on PC" effect that I know of was BF4.

TitanFall looks fun, but it isn't that impressive graphically. Forza and Ryse look great, but the most impressive title was Infamous Second Son IMO. Game looked like CG.

FuturusX

So would logic not dictate that if Sony's machine is 50% more powerful, easier to develop for and half a year ahead in game development would YOU expect to see games looking head and shoulder above the competition?

What are you talking about? GAF is a hive of logic.

The difference between platforms will not be apparent in the early days. It may never be that tangible but certainly not now.

otapnam

So would logic not dictate that if Sony's machine is 50% more powerful, easier to develop for and half a year ahead in game development wouldn't YOU expect to see games looking head and shoulder above the competition?

What if all the multi plats like ac4 destiny and watchdogs look much worse on xbone? Wernt they only shown on ps4 ?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
There was not one Xbox one game that looked better than any ps4 game. You do realize that the only games running on Xbox one dev kits were ryse, Killer instinct, and forza and they were all unimpressive at best. The other games from the Microsoft conference were running on pc. Microsoft is playing a dangerous game with bait and switch. When the Xbox one comes out, come back to gaf and read the threads, people are going to be pissed.
Some will attempt to take refugee in a satisfaction thread but it will be of no use. It will be just like when the vita was selling less than 10k in Japan. People will bash it from heaven to hell, all day and night.

Why does this read more like a desperate fever dream than a sensible prediction about the future?

Marleyman

Banned
TitanFall looks fun, but it isn't that impressive graphically. Forza and Ryse look great, but the most impressive title was Infamous Second Son IMO. Game looked like CG.

I agree; Second Son looked great. I wish it was a launch title and not so possibly far off.

taoofjord

The only problem with this is if the difference is significant enough it may change how a lot of multi-platform games look on other systems. Hopefully this isn't the case because I'd hate to see the PS4's power be left untapped in the majority of games released.

Define it how you like. No developer putting together a multiplatform title is going to spend the extra capital and manpower to program some intricate set of functions specifically for a bit of extra power that the XBO doesn't come packed with. By not going completely high end with their console, Microsoft basically cut Sony off at the knees, unless you enjoy being a console warrior for some marginally better shadows. Because that's probably as far as most multiplatform games are going to go.
Fixed that for you.

TheCloser

Banned
The PS4 is more powerful but not as big of a difference as people think, and certainly will not have the impact in games people are expecting, especially with diminishing returns compared to PS2 vs Xbox era, we're talking a modern GPU with programmable shaders, hardware powered bump mapping and normal mapping, twice the available ram with greater speed yet we still saw games like God of War 2 that beat a lot of Xbox games.

When you compare PC games running on 1.2TF vs 1.8TF GPUs, the difference is basically defined by framerate while running the same exact effects and AA. In the case of PS4 vs X1, if BF4 is running 60fps on the PS4 while running 4xAA, you might find that the X1 version is also running 60fps but with just 2xAA and maybe a few tweaks to the shadow details to bring the framerate up to par, you'll literally need to compare these side by side in stills to point at the difference, which is cool for sites like Digital Foundry and to spark fanboy talk, but nothing significant that would make people choose one console over the other, the games should still be the number 1 reason for choosing, and looking at PS2 vs Xbox differences and as big as that was, the mainstream chose games. "Yooo, did you see Vice City? I want that game, gettin a PS2 cause Xbox doesn't have it" Just a 6 month exclusivity made that much of a difference, imagine what a year of Dude bro of Duty creators Titanfall could potentially do...

People expecting a drastic difference between PS4 and X1 are in for great disappointment.

Sorry but you are wrong. There will be a visible difference. We have not hit diminishing returns yet so calm down and wait for digital foundry videos to prove me right. BTW, Microsoft doesn't have 1.2td available for games, more like 900gflops. Why, their advanced os requires some of those resources as well as 3gb of ram. The ps4 only requires one gig of ram and is running on an enhanced version of bsd.

Can you read? Have you been paying attention to gaf lately? If you have, you would have seen that several Xbox one games were running on pc's containing GTX 7xx cards begin masquerade as dev kits. A GTX 7xx is at least 2 times more powerful than an xbox one console.

And the more impressive graphical games for the X1 were on X1 devkits so i dont get your point. There is enough time between now and release to cancel preorders X1 if the bait and switch is true.

velociraptor

I am looking forward to the first multiplatform comparisons just so we can put this issue away. :p
Here's a quick comparison between the two GPUs to give you an idea in the performance difference.

Crysis 2, max settings DX11, 1080p, high-resolution textures, 4xMSAA http://www.guru3d.com/miraserver/ima...ntitled-19.png

7850: 42 fps
7770: 25 fps

Battlefield 3 DX11, Ultra mode, 4xMSAA, 16x AF enabled, HBAO enabled http://www.guru3d.com/miraserver/ima...ntitled-28.png

7850: 32 fps
7770: 21 fps

Crysis 3 1080p, DX11, High settings, FXAA: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...nchmark,6.html

7850: 35 fps
7770: 23 fps

Crysis Warhead 1920x1080 - Enthusiast Quality + 4xAA: http://gpuboss.com/graphics-card/Radeon-HD-7770

7850: 38.9fps
7770: 23fps

Tomb Raider, 1080p, Ultra, DX11: http://kotaku.com/5990848/tomb-raide...phics-and-cpus

7850: 42 fps
7770: 29 fps

Metro 2033, 1080p, Max, AAA, DX11: http://www.guru3d.com/miraserver/ima...ntitled-17.png

7850: 27 fps
7770: 15 fps

Based on the above, PS4 games should certainly look a lot better, or their performance should at least be superior.

guch20

Banned

Not if developers were as shocked by the inclusion of 8GB of GDDR5 RAM as reports stated. They weren't coding to spec. Rough edges are to be expected.

TheCloser

Banned
Why does this read more like a desperate fever dream than a sensible prediction about the future?

Take it as you like but I have lurked on gaf long enough to know that this is what happens when you don't deliver on your promises. Did you take a nap during the drm fiasco? The threads were brutal. Did you take a nap during the ps3 launch? The threads were brutal. Sorry but history repeats itself.

Except Dark Sorcerer alone looked better than anything MS showed

I certainly hope so, but the fact that Sony couldn't show any gameplay that looked significantly ahead of what MS showed, plus the framerate issues that some games suffered is disconcerting, PS4 was supposedly ahead in development according to rumors yet X1 first party games seemed more polished running at 1080p/60 and looking pretty darn good for today's standards.

Marleyman

Banned
Marleyman wishes he got paid by MS.

You again? Pot calling the kettle black? Does the fact that I really want Second Son go against my supposed MS loyalty? Just trying to get a grip on why you feel the need to call people out when you are one of the worst.

guch20

Banned
Fixed that for you.
That'd make sense if Xbone were going to be lead platform for multiplatforms. As every generation has shown, the easiest to program for or most popular tends to get the most attention. By all reports thus far, Sony leads in the former and appears to be leading in the latter.

So your fix wasn't necessary. But thanks for trying!

I certainly hope so, but the fact that Sony couldn't show any gameplay that looked significantly ahead of what MS showed, plus the framerate issues that some games suffered is disconcerting, PS4 was supposedly ahead in development according to rumors yet X1 first party games seemed more polished running at 1080p/60 and looking pretty darn good for today's standards.

You don't think KZ and Infamous looked better than everything MS showed?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Wondering if anyone will get at least one multiplayer game on both consoles at launch just to make a point...

Seriously, as an Xbox owner, I would only care about a power difference if it manifests in unsmooth frame rates.

Top Bottom