• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft will no longer include Gaming Revenue or XBL Monthly Users in its earnings reports.

Fitzchiv

The amount of you that think a multi-billion dollar company is changing its reporting structure in order to 'hide' performance from a bunch of retards on the internet is staggering.

The amount of you that think a multi-billion dollar company is changing its reporting structure in order to 'hide' performance from a bunch of retards on the internet is staggering.
Well of course they are not hiding from Neogaf. They are hiding from future investors, people who would want to compare Xbox division vs equivalent gaming divisions of other companies. And they only do this because they could get away with it. Xbox is such a small part of Microsoft, that omitting it doesn't alter their company's financials much. If Sony or Nintendo do the same, there would be investor anger.

Xbox division was never making much money before, so the fact that it is now falling flat on its face can be easily concealed.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No they don't, who do you think they're using right now?
You can thank MS when PSN service finally improves.

EDMIX

I mean....you think another reason exist on why they no longer want to be transparent on unit sales of their console and now they are removing even more information? So I think its simply because it doesn't seem favorable and reminds customers and shareholders that they are not doing as well as they were last gen.

So I don't think its just solely for "internet" people, I think its because their customers still exist on the "internet" and clearly so do shareholders. Why keep delivering them bad news every single month?

Last edited:

demigod

Nope and I don’t have to because azure is not “needed” like you claim.

Fake

So, why Xbox servers are so bad those days?

Pallas

Bold move Microsoft, going stealth in today’s console warring.

So, why Xbox servers are so bad those days?

Idk, makes me question why Sony would even entertain a partnership with them. They need to fire their current CEO already and put someone on board who despise Microsoft as much as their fans.

As far as I’m concerned, both services are garbage at different intervals.

Fitzchiv

I mean....you think another reason exist on why they no longer want to be transparent on unit sales of their console and now they are removing even more information? So I think its simply because it doesn't seem favorable and reminds customers and shareholders that they are not doing as well as they were last gen.

So I don't think its just solely for "internet" people, I think its because their customers still exist on the "internet" and clearly so do shareholders. Why keep delivering them bad news every single month?

Microsoft recently retook position as the most valuable company in the world, valued at $1.1trn and then undertook a massive share buyback and dividend payout. The kind of people investing in Microsoft are not wandering around waving wads of cash at the latest big thing. They will not be changing reporting structure to placate you, me, or any other poster on here.

EDMIX

Microsoft recently retook position as the most valuable company in the world, valued at $1.1trn and then undertook a massive share buyback and dividend payout. The kind of people investing in Microsoft are not wandering around waving wads of cash at the latest big thing. They will not be changing reporting structure to placate you, me, or any other poster on here.

"They will not be changing reporting structure to placate you, me, or any other poster on here" Ok....yet if you READ my post it states this "So I don't think its just solely for "internet" people, I think its because their customers still exist on the "internet" and clearly so do shareholders"

Regardless of the backpedaling, spinning or strange defending....MS is being less transparent on something they did nothing but brag about last gen.

Reality is pretty simple, MS isn't going to keep marketing negative news with those numbers as all its reminding them, shareholders and fans that they are moving less units and getting less customers. No one is debating MS as a "valuable company", heck many of us are saying it BECAUSE THEY ARE that valuable, thus they are going to maintain their imagine by not always reporting numbers that clearly don't shed them in a positive light.

At some point, someone at MS was likely like "We do you guys keep reporting how badly we are doing this gen? Can we....I don't know, just tell em how much bullets shot off in Halo 5 or something?" It was a great marketing tool last gen "Hey guys, guess how much MORE units we done sold" Now?

"Hey guys, once again, just to remind you, THIS is how badly Nintendo and Sony are beating us, have a nice day"

At some point, MS's PR clearly is going to let em know, you can't keep reporting this news every damn quarter creating this atmosphere of "look how badly we are doing everyone" as all it turns into a is news piece showing how badly MS is doing in gaming and scares away shareholders that start to question their place in the market of gaming. Not saying MS isn't a valuable company so you can keep that argument for someone else bud, what I am saying....is they once stated something all the time about units sold, how many this and that, suddenly when they are losing another generation, they are now becoming less transparent. So that little game isn't as fun when you are on the losing end. Keep in mind, I agree with this move. We keep reminding everyone how much they are losing this gen?

Fitzchiv

"They will not be changing reporting structure to placate you, me, or any other poster on here" Ok....yet if you READ my post it states this "So I don't think its just solely for "internet" people, I think its because their customers still exist on the "internet" and clearly so do shareholders"

Regardless of the backpedaling, spinning or strange defending....MS is being less transparent on something they did nothing but brag about last gen.

Reality is pretty simple, MS isn't going to keep marketing negative news with those numbers as all its reminding them, shareholders and fans that they are moving less units and getting less customers. No one is debating MS as a "valuable company", heck many of us are saying it BECAUSE THEY ARE that valuable, thus they are going to maintain their imagine by not always reporting numbers that clearly don't shed them in a positive light.

At some point, someone at MS was likely like "We do you guys keep reporting how badly we are doing this gen? Can we....I don't know, just tell em how much bullets shot off in Halo 5 or something?" It was a great marketing tool last gen "Hey guys, guess how much MORE units we done sold" Now?

"Hey guys, once again, just to remind you, THIS is how badly Nintendo and Sony are beating us, have a nice day"

At some point, MS's PR clearly is going to let em know, you can't keep reporting this news every damn quarter creating this atmosphere of "look how badly we are doing everyone" as all it turns into a is news piece showing how badly MS is doing in gaming and scares away shareholders that start to question their place in the market of gaming. Not saying MS isn't a valuable company so you can keep that argument for someone else bud, what I am saying....is they once stated something all the time about units sold, how many this and that, suddenly when they are losing another generation, they are now becoming less transparent. So that little game isn't as fun when you are on the losing end. Keep in mind, I agree with this move. We keep reminding everyone how much they are losing this gen?

What you are saying is nonsense. It's the end of a generation in which it has widely been reported just how far they trailed Sony. Investors look forwards, not backwards, which should be a hint as to why they actually changed reporting output.

I mean seriously, do you really think an investor looks at MS right now and thinks "ooer, but I wonder what the Xbox division has done in the last year before I choose to invest"

Absolutely idiotic and completely divorced from reality.

DanielsM

Banned
What you are saying is nonsense. It's the end of a generation in which it has widely been reported just how far they trailed Sony. Investors look forwards, not backwards, which should be a hint as to why they actually changed reporting output.

I mean seriously, do you really think an investor looks at MS right now and thinks "ooer, but I wonder what the Xbox division has done in the last year before I choose to invest"

Absolutely idiotic and completely divorced from reality.

I think you are over simplifying things or excluding possibilities. Microsoft has played the hide the Xbox pie from the beginning i.e. 1999 (since they spun it up). During the middle years they actually resorted to borderline securities fraud (I'm not going to say securities fraud but probably damn close, imo) as it pertains to Xbox by saying it was profitable in a general sense. Come to find out, they were including Android royalties and other amounts which they really didn't touch on in interviews, this amounted to $2b of easy revenue per year. The early years of Xbox were huge losses, again, Microsoft has never officially disclosed how much, although former employees have come out and gave rough estimates.... I seriously doubt anyone knows how much. One could surmise that the reason for not disclosing really any numbers at all during this time period was to keep investors in the dark as the calls for shutting down Xbox were fairly loud.

I do somewhat agree with you though, I don't think Satya needs the cover yet, as the rest of Microsoft continues to expand the top line outside of gaming, generally speaking. Not including MAU is quite strange as Microsoft has said in the past this is the best way to gauge user activity, but I remain on the fence as to the importance of this..... I suspect the gaming revenue is about to collapse in a big way. (time will tell)

I just look at Microsoft as I would any of the normal big publishers at this point, they are going to go where the customers are, and probably shrink at some point fairly significantly.... eventually.

Last edited:

mejin

MS is doing the right thing

ExcellentShortIberianlynx-small.gif

EDMIX

Investors look forwards, not backwards, which should be a hint as to why they actually changed reporting output.

Sure, what the investors don't know about won't hurt em right? Makes more sense to simply hide those numbers as suppose to always reporting moving less units every quarter. Come on dude, this is business and they won't keep giving bad PR, makes more sense to stop reporting a bad thing and reminding them the division is failing in an area compared to competition.

Trying to spin it any other way just sounds so desperate.

you really think an investor looks at MS right now and thinks "ooer, but I wonder what the Xbox division has done in the last year before I choose to invest"

You mean does an investor actually research part of a company before investing? Well....yes, many do. I'd argue to say otherwise is "idiotic and completely divorced from reality". MS didn't just stop telling us something publicly for no reason bud.

OH WOW, looks like people really do research what a company has done before they "choose to invest". Maybe that website is fake, lets see

Huh, the Government is saying to research before you invest too? Must be fake news, lets see what else

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4134479-investment-research

So....sounds to me before folks invest, they do this thing called researching, doesn't sound all that crazy to me. I can either believe all those credible sources, or Fitz from NeoGaf...

Journey Journey 100% correct too, they did it clearly because PS3 was not moving the units they wanted and they likely felt no point to keep reminding folks its not moving PS2 numbers or better then Wii or 360 etc. This 100%.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned

Psn has been on par with its competitors for years this isn't the fucking 1990s. PSN rarely goes down if at all nowadays and as of late has performed as good or even better than live in tht aspect . What bubble your living in?

And everyone knows this Info of "exploring" which later was clarified by Sony as looking into things but nothing is definitive. This isn't about performance but reach 😏

Last edited:
Top Bottom