• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Xbox’s Return To The (offline) Party thread. Let’s play this ugly console!!

2kQTX.png

xboxstartluupu.gif

So I’ve been thinking about doing this topic for quite some time now, but never got in a hurry to create it. Having played a lot of Xbox lately, I’ve decided the time has come to write about what many will consider like a huge waste of time when thinking about how old and irrelevant the console is today. But I can’t help it. I need to tell you what some already know, especially with all the retro topics I’ve seen in the past month or so.

Long story short, the original Xbox was, and still is fucking awesome.

I love analyzing old hardware. I love being impressed by their capabilities, seeing them pushing their limits over and over again. I think all 3 consoles last gen had fantastic looking and fun games. What I always thought too is that the original Xbox never got the praise it deserved, at least, outside the US. Now, before anything, I am aware of Dolphin and PCSX2. I have a damn 5ghz pc and I know what’s up. These can be game changing experiences. But here I want to talk about the hardware itself and its merit. Emulators are great and all, but they do not represent what you were playing back in the days. Plus, there is no complete emulator for Xbox that I am aware of. If, for any reason, there was an argument regarding graphics between, for example, GC and Xbox, then for fuck’s sake, please do not post stupid shit emulator screenshots.

First of all, let me tell you 5 points which make me think revisiting the Xbox nowadays on your TV is a worthwhile experience.

• It has by far the best widescreen support for today’s HDTV compared to the tiny library of games that support this function on PS2 (GC is out of the equation; ultra-rare component cable needed and even smaller library supporting it). I currently own 50 Xbox games; only 8 do not support it.

• Most games support 480p, some even manage 720p.

• It had the graphic/hardware crown. Yes, both the GCN and the PS2 had its share of surprisingly beautiful games, but none of them were as constant as the Xbox. When a multiplat came out, you could be sure the Xbox had the best version 98% of the time. And thanks to its shader capabilities, its hard drive as well as its memory pool, you had the best multiplats, some awesome exclusives and great PC ports. It also sports the best audio of the bunch with its sound chipset supporting Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS.

• Most games are dirt cheap. Nearly all of them can be found for less than $10 on Ebay or $5 on flea market. One day a couple of months ago I’ve bought 14 Xbox games for $51. All of those games were complete and there was not a single sport game in the lot. As a collector, I find these prices absolutely ridiculous and thus make it a complete no-brainer to me.

• Heavily moddable. My Xbox now is a multimedia center able to play Linux ports, emulators and media of all sort, thanks to the Avalaunch CFW a monkey installed on it (it’s that easy). It’s like a vintage portable computer I always end up hooking on the only tv in my house that isn’t plugged on my pc , yet somehow I specifically need to use that one for multimedia purpose. Thank you Xbox, I can stay lazy.

Because of my dashing personality and kindly attitude, I’ll help you choose the best games in each genre for this magnificent (and kind of ugly) beast with a list of my choice. The following won’t necessarily be exclusive to the console, but they are all worthy and notable. I welcome any recommendation you might have. I do not know about any of you, but I'm an expert but I intend to add even more titles to my library. Again, please feel free to add your contribution! This is going to take a long time, so please bear with me and hang on!

Part 1 :
racing2.png

TPSA (True Photoshop Skill Above)

Good old racing games. The Xbox has a ton of incredible ones, and it certainly does sport some of, if not the best. It's a bit sad that Live doesn't work anymore on the original Xbox because I would be playing these games tenfold just like I did back then. Part of the appeal of these games were the sublime online and the community around it. Anyway, here are the most notable ones.

MmGTo.jpg

Project Gotham Racing 2. This game is good. It's pretty damn good. It has pretty graphics, a perfect mix of realism and arcadey gameplay and the controls are tight. You want content? PGR2 got you covered with nearly 100 tracks across 10 cities and a selection of 102 cars. Many challenges await. This game can be hard as fuck when you aim for the platinum medals, but when you do get one, you feel good. Like, "I just took the most satisfying bite out of my favorite meal" good. Drive with style and rack those Kudos! It also has an enormous soundtrack (200+ tracks) so you are bound to find something you like :) Check the first one too. It's quite good! If only the DLC was still available :(

IUs3C.jpg

Rallisport Challenge 2. Simply put, the best rally racing game ever made, and imo the most stunning game of that generation visually speaking. The graphical effects were ridiculous. Tons of weather effects, night racing, fantastic lighting, texture, parallax, specular, normal maps, HDR, bloom, shaders, locked 60 fps, shocking high poly count, bla bla bla you name it it's there effect. But the wow factor you get from the graphics is only part of the equation. The game is incredibly fun, with fantastic driving physics, tight control, and a crapload of tracks. So good.gif Again, the first one is still a blast to play so have a look at it ;)

qmN58.jpg

Forza Motorsport. Nice effort from Turn 10, given the fact they were going head to head against the giant mammoth that was Polyphony Digital and their GT. FM ended up being a really good game with a good selection of car (231+), a great amount of tracks, a detailed car upgrade system and even managed to add a couple of mode that was absent from GT like hill climbing. Great racing game! Don't miss it out!

a7RwL.jpg

Need for Speed Most Wanted. Such a good and underrated game. Best NFS during that console generation, or at least on par with NFSHP2 PS2. Claim your car back by beating cop's Most Wanted 15, and put douchebag Razor Callahan to misery while you're at it. Dude deserves it. All of this while trying to evade cops among more cops. Fun stuff.

rvXR6.jpg

Burnout 2: Point of Impact. The game starts with you doing some driving lessons. Only, you pretty much do the exact opposite of what you've been told for your entire life. Drive in the opposite direction? Good job! Passing close by other drivers? Sweet! Crashing your car into other's car? Faaaantastic :) You soon realize the more reckless you are, the better you do. The game has a fairly great mechanic where it rewards you by fulling your boost meter as you drive like a lunatic. Keep up the tempo and you might be in a constant boost chain where this never ends. I prefer this one over the third one for many reasons. First of all, I enjoy the tracks better overall. I also think the crash mode is much more fun, it seems to be more focused on speed and burnout chains and finally it has this fantastic dual track boost music where every time you enter boost mode, the music gets more intense and louder. Oh, the music is an original soundtrack too, unlike Burnout 3 which has EA Trax.

2eoIb.jpg

Burnout 3: Takedown. This one really deserves its subtitle. Much more focused on crashing your opponents, you will use your car as one massive weapon of destruction against anyone who dare driving close to you. It is still fast, with crazy courses and crazy boosts, but I can help thinking the speed part and the importance of the boost has been reduced. Okay, I clearly am exaggerating things here. I have to admit, it seems like the majority of the burnout fans prefers this one over the second installment. It's flashier, it's prettier, it's also a bit longer iirc and the Punk oriented EA Trax might be more appealing for the mass. Hell, I love this freaking game, make no mistake. I just don't like it as much as 2.

0iFB9.jpg

Midtown Madness 3. Crazy game? Crazy game. Totally different from MM1&2? Totally different from MM1&2. Featuring two huge cities and over 30 cars, it was the very definition of "total mayhem". Honestly I don't remember the offline portion of this game all that much. I was way too busy fucking around on Xbox Live along with everyone else. Though I remember it had undercover missions which was basically the single player campaign, checkpoint and blitz races. It was kind of fun. But it was like NOTHING compared to the amount of dicking around you could do online. Capture the gold, checkpoint, tag, hunter and stayaway were your standard mode. Or, you could simply select cruise mode and then your creativity would be the only barrier between you and what you could do. Plus, the game was so flexible. You could simply pause the game, change your car, then resume without having to quit. I always loved that feature. This game especially falls flat today compared to the others because of how dependent it is of the online feature. Still, you can play split screen with a friend to get a glimpse of what you could do when it came out.

PB9W19v.jpg

Outrun 2. Can it be more arcadey than this game? I doubt it. Take your car, pick up your girlfriend, listen to your favorite soundtrack and get there before the time runs out. Yes, just "get there". Sounds simple enough, right? On your way "there", you'll have to carefully choose your path. At the end of each stage (except for the last ones), you'll encounter a fork leading to a different stage depending of the direction you choose. This branching system will make you go through a total of 15 different stages. It's cool and all but the star of the show here is the driving physic which is pure arcade nirvana. Try to take these corners slowly and you'll end up hugging every border of the track. You need to think "fast". It's never fast enough. Press the R trigger and never release it. This corner is too tight to to go fast? WRONG! Drift it like you mean it son. That timer means hurry the fuck up. If you can, pick up Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast. It's the same game with additional modes and even more stages!

Coming up:
FPS2.png

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Dude the page is too wide it's a hassle to read. Stack your images vertically so I don't have to keep scrolling left and right to read each line.

On another note, this is a great idea. I remember some of my best times came with playing Splinter Cell Double Agent on my Xbox even though I already had next gen consoles. That game is so good, especially if you go for a full stealth, no alerts run.

Edit: Also, I can't believe you don't have Burnout 3 at the tippy top of your racing list. That game was an addiction.

epmode

Yeah, remember when Xbox policies by and large benefited gaming instead of advertisers and people who hate videogames? Good times.

The first year or so of Xbox Live was something special.

LQX

I would give anything to experience Crimson Skies online again. Damn it MS, bring it back.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Rallisport 2 was the freakin' best.

Even my partner - who doesn't play racing games - loved this title.

epmode

I would do unspeakable things for another rally game that can stand up to Rallisport Challenge 2. It's the reason I still keep my Xbox around!

Needs more Mech Assault

Needs more Pandora Tomorrow as well. That multiplayer mode was years ahead of its time.

onQ123

My niece & nephew play my Xbox every weekend I haven't played it in a while , probably because I'm so used to wireless controllers now. but games on the Xbox still look nice.

they have a Xbox 360 but seem to love my Xbox more than the Xbox 360 , PS3 & Wii. Maybe that's because the games are already in the Xbox that they love & all they have to do is hook it up & play.

Arg, sorry. I've made these banners in with 1080p in mind, without taking into consideration the left side of the screen.

Just hold on!

EDIT: Ok pics should be fixed as long as you have a 1080p display.

bryehn

A softmodded Xbox is a thing of beauty, truly a livingroom dominator in its time. I sold mine for $50 when I got my 360. It was a terrible decision.

Though, transfarring shit to the thing was a bit of a pain in the ass before I had a decent router. I still have my monoprice crossover cat5 cable just in case.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
The RSC2 tournament we played on GAF was incredible

XSN sports was wayyyyyy ahead of its time

It's so sad there is nothing like it almost 10 years later

that XBOX was built like a tank and lasted from release date to now - I still have it modeled right next to my first time released xbox 360 .. good times :)

ElRenoRaven

Ah. Man it was such a great console. It was amazing to watch companies and even Microsoft try all kinds of new stuff. Sure a lot failed but there were many great gems.

The only regret I have about that console was that Re-volt never came out for live. I remember the beta test for live and the fun friends and I had on it. Not just in racing but we'd actually start playing hide and go seek on the courses. To this day I still think about what could have been.

Persona7

Banned
I never stopped playing it really, same with the PS2 and Dreamcast.

I was just about to revisit Gunvalkyrie and Conker this week.

pramath

Banned
A softmodded Xbox is a thing of beauty, truly a livingroom dominator in its time. I sold mine for $50 when I got my 360. It was a terrible decision.

Though, transfarring shit to the thing was a bit of a pain in the ass before I had a decent router. I still have my monoprice crossover cat5 cable just in case.

I'm the one who bought it! Sucka !

I actually really liked the original better. Such a damn fun game. I'm not a big snowboarding or skateboarding fan but goddamn I played the hell out of Amped.

I too prefer Amped over its sequel. this truly felt like a step above anything else in this category. Huge open mountains and lots of objects to grind to. Great chill game. Oh, and the soundtrack was incredibly big for the time. It had like 150 songs or so.

watership

Arg, sorry. I've made these banners in with 1080p in mind, without taking into consideration the left side of the screen.

Just hold on!

EDIT: Ok pics should be fixed as long as you have a 1080p display.

How many people do you know run a browser in full window mode? You gotta keep your width to be 700-900 pixels dude.

gillty

Banned
The game that dominated the Xbox Live charts for year and years, one of the greatest open world racers ever; from a time when DICE made its best games like BF1942 and RSC2. This game like its other early Xbox Live breathern really fostered great communities akin to their PC brothers, such a thing is not possible in the age of matchmaking on consoles.
558597_frontxgkbl.jpg

Edit: Also, I can't believe you don't have Burnout 3 at the tippy top of your racing list. That game was an addiction.

The game that dominated the Xbox Live charts for year and years, one of the greatest open world racers ever; from a time when DICE made its best games like BF1942 and RSC2. This game like its other early Xbox Live breathern really fostered great communities akin to their PC brothers, such a thing is not possible in the age of matchmaking on consoles.
558597_frontxgkbl.jpg

Look guys I was time restrained! I promise I will add these and then some tomorrow ;)

ranmafan

I really enjoyed the first XBOX. There were quite a bunch of wonderful games on it many others have forgotten or just don't care that much for. I loved Crimson Skies, and Steel Battalion is a great game to experience. I wish I could've brought it with me when I moved to Japan. Not to mention Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta, and other great gems. Nice system!

The original Xbox was pretty damn cool looking back. It was almost like a half-leap towards the next generation, I remember not being all that impressed by the 360 launch with how good Xbox games looked at the time.

neptunes

I remember the hype surrounding the original splinter cell, I'm sure it made quite a few people pick up an XBOX.

samfisher02-Splinter_Cell_1_PC_61655_640screen.jpg

And it was also a big deal when MS released the S-type controller, it was like it reinvigorated the console.

ORIGINAL%20CONTROLLER.jpg

sp3000

Xbox Live on the Xbox was the greatest online experience ever made.

Imagine joining games where everyone had a mic, would communicate properly, and where the kiddies were kept to a minimum due to the relative infancy of the medium.

Also had the best racing game ever made Burnout 3. The best multiplayer FPS ever made also. Halo 2.

Too bad it all became awful with the Xbox 360.

And especially once they introduced party chat.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Still play from time to time

Phantom Dust (Crack)
DOA 2U (Crack but I need 3)
Phantom Crash (crack)
Otogi
Otogi 2
Breakdown
Burnout 3 Takedown
Jet Set Radio Future
Darkwatch

Once in a blue moon i play

Quantum Redshift
Bloodrayne 2
Splashdown

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
My friend is willing to sell me his with all the games for $50. I'm gonna bite.

Personally I had more fun with the original Xbox than the 360 thanks to the line up.

Anyhow did anyone here managed to play this one?

I remembered reading about it but never saw the reception to the game.

Xdrive05

Xbox Live on the Xbox was the greatest online experience ever made.

Imagine joining games where everyone had a mic, would communicate properly, and where the kiddies were kept to a minimum due to the relative infancy of the medium.

Also had the best racing game ever made Burnout 3. The best multiplayer FPS ever made also. Halo 2.

Too bad it all became awful with the Xbox 360.

And especially once they introduced party chat.

I'm not one to speak for 360 Live seeing as how I only really used it for Halo 3, but I agree completely.

Wolfenstein, Rainbow Six: 3 and, yes, even Halo 2, were console online nirvana at that time, and maybe even including everything since. For my money anyway.

Some of it could be nostalgia, or "you had to be there", but that's how I remember it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I hope that this thread stays active because I'd like a place to discuss my journey with Xbox. I don't know how many of you have seen my "overlooked exclusives" thread here, but I received far, far more promising recommendations than I ever expected so I should have more than enough to keep me occupied for a long time.

That said, I think I'm going to make Otogi my first Xbox game evar. Wish me luck!

pramath

Banned
Xbox was a short lived but amazing console.

The Cadillac of consoles of its day.

Much better first party titles than 360.

AlexBasch

Sometimes I feel like buying a cheap Xbox. Feel kinda curious about it and I'd prefer the native system than dealing with BC in my 360.

Top Bottom