• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Xbox’s Return To The (offline) Party thread. Let’s play this ugly console!!

who the fuck runs their browser fullscreen?

Dude nobody runs their browser in fullscreen. It was just a fuck up from me. When I created my browsed I didn't take into consideration the avatar and such. It should now display correctly assuming your resolution is set to 1920x1080 or more. Chill out.

Brashnir

Dude nobody runs their browser in fullscreen. It was just a fuck up from me. When I created my browsed I didn't take into consideration the avatar and such. It should now display correctly assuming your resolution is set to 1920x1080 or more. Chill out.

If your browser is using the entire screen, sure.

Who the hell does that? Serious question. People actually do that?

ReBurn

Gold Member
JSRF and Jedi Outcast. A purchase I will never regret. My kids still play those games on that ugly black box.

What do you mean? Your browser takes half the screen then you open extra junk aside? Fuck I would hate that shit. Of course my internet browser takes the entire screen. When I want to do stuff at the same time, I use dual display.

Tiktaalik

Off topic but why the heck is this OP so damn wide? Can we force some max limits on widths of posts? It goes way, way wider than my 13" Macbook Air and I don't think this is an especially small computer screen.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Off topic but why the heck is this OP so damn wide? Can we force some max limits on widths of posts? It goes way, way wider than my 13" Macbook Air and I don't think this is an especially small computer screen.

It has some large images, that's for sure.

Tiktaalik

Was "The Duke" ever uttered by anyone associated with the Microsoft Xbox Team or was this a wholly fanbase generated nickname? What are the origins of the moniker?

xJavonta

Banned

Your MBA is the same res as my monitor (1440x900), I solve the problem of large pics on GAF by using a theme that resizes pictures. Helps because not everyone is willing to change their posts to accommodate lower resolutions.

WillyFive

Don't the vast majority of people do? Why wouldn't they?

Most people don't have such huge displays that would make browsing in a window even logical, let alone useful.

watership

Not many. Most people don't have 1080p monitors. They have 1050p monitors. It just drives me nuts when I see content as wide as can be when they don't account for the way 99 percent of people run programs on computers. Windowed.

Brashnir

Most people don't have such huge displays that would make browsing in a window even logical, let alone useful.

I've never seen a single person do it in real life. Who are you people? I don't even know what's going on anymore. Most webpages use about 1000 pixels of width, max. Why would I waste half my screen?

plc268

Is the new size satisfying enough?

Yep, it's good (for me). Even on a 1080p screen it had a horizontal scroll... AND i'm one of those weirdos that always has his browser fullscreen.

Which is odd, because I don't know anyone that browses in anything but fullscreen. From time to time, I'll go half screen if I have a live stream of something up, but that's it.

Anyway, back on topic, I've been getting a serious urge to rebuy an xbox 1 due to the piss poor backward compatibility (Rallisport 2) on the 360, but the console is just so damn big, and I have no real place near my TV to put it, except for the floor.

It's a shame that the xbox never had a redesign.

Nazgul11

The original Xbox was definitely a beast of a console. Pretty unique too, since it was more or less the first console that took a lot of inspiration from PC gaming, which made sense since it was the first western console in awhile. So many good memories of games like Burnout 3, Kotor, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory etc. But Halo and specifically Halo 2 on XBL were absolutely the pinnacle of what was awesome about the original Xbox. So many good times.

-KRS-

I'd join in on the fun but the power button on mine stopped working one day. =/
It's so frustrating too because the hardware itself is probably working just fine.

Edit:
The original Xbox was definitely a beast of a console. Pretty unique too, since it was more or less the first western console, and took a lot of inspiration from PC gaming. So many good memories of games like Burnout 3, Kotor, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory etc. But Halo and specifically Halo 2 on XBL were absolutely the pinnacle of what was awesome about the original Xbox. So many good times.

Hmm. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492952

Nazgul11

I'd join in on the fun but the power button on mine stopped working one day. =/
It's so frustrating too because the hardware itself is probably working just fine.

Edit:

Hmm. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492952

Yeah yeah, meant to say that it was "more or less the first console that took a lot of inspiration from PC gaming, which made sense since it was the first western console in awhile". :p Will fix mah mistake!

P.S. Atari 2600 is awesome...still love its joystick.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
No mention of Outrun 2/2006 in your list of racing games? Definitely one of my favorite games on the platform... SEGA's Xbox games were the main reason I bought the system, and netplay fighting games too. I hardly ever turn the thing on nowadays though, it's definitely one of my least favorite mainstream game consoles. Hardly any good RPGs, not much in the way of 2D action, limited Japanese support...

speedline

Banned
Ohhh Rallisport Challenge 2 blew my mind with those insane graphics and fun as hell to play! I loved the OG Xbox, what a powerhouse back then. Other notables:

Dead or Alive Ultimate
Doom 3
NFL2K5 (superior version)
Spikeout Battle Street
Breakdown
Otogi 1 and 2
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Gunvalkyrie
Riddick

so many more..........

onken

I remember when it first came out and my friend was going nuts over Halo. This was around the same time Counterstrike and Soldier of Fortune 2 were big on the PC and I just saw this horrible blurry, low frame-rate mess with awful controls and was just mind = blown how anybody could find it appealing. It wasn't until this last generation that things became an even vaguely comparable experience.

The_Monk

Never had one of those but I have the first Halo in good condition. Good to know it works with the 360.

Nice OP btw, if you people want you can always include which games work with the 360 in case GAFfers don't own the original Xbox.

Nibel

Jbr8h.jpg

Come at me

There were plenty of amazing games on Xbox, but man: Otogi gave me that next-gen vibe like RE4 did

The game that dominated the Xbox Live charts for year and years, one of the greatest open world racers ever; from a time when DICE made its best games like BF1942 and RSC2. This game like its other early Xbox Live breathern really fostered great communities akin to their PC brothers, such a thing is not possible in the age of matchmaking on consoles.
558597_frontxgkbl.jpg

Post of the century.
Friends and I would just play king of the hill for hours. We found a ramp that would lead to one small roof. 5 of us trying to first get on the roof then stay on that roof. So many laughs.

=(

Mitsurux

I remember approaching the Xbox with extreme caution (when first hearing about it), "a console by Microsoft"? seemed so odd at the time....

But once the Dreamcast died and alot of the Sega games i was looking forward to were moved to the Xbox, i bought one and never looked back... it was the sucessor of the DC for me, and Multiplayer Halo (with multiple Xboxs) will be something i alway will remember...

shandy706

Ignore all the complainers OP.

I'm at work, have dual 1080p Asus monitors and ALWAYS run my browser full screen.

Work on one Monitor and full screen 1080p browser on the other screen. In fact EVERYONE in my office runs full screen browsers....we all have 2-4 monitors each though..LOL

I ask these same people, who has ONE monitor in today's cheap tech world?!

HEHEH

On subject, LOVE the original Xbox. I wish I had never sold my launch system.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Let's make a post to get Midtown Madness 3 HD for XBLA. It would be golden !

Phantom Dust first. Then Burnout and Midtown after.

In fact, I'd love MS to provide DLC installer discs like they did the Halo 2 map packs (before the last map pack anyway) for achieving and history purposes. I'm sure they still have the content somewhere in the vault and could provide the service to us collectors. It's a shame they didn't do that for the X-box Live shutdown.

Az987

all good things
I love my old Xbox.

Mine is extra ugly because I had a shitty Thomson DVD drive that died half way through last generation so rather than admit defeat I bought a Samsung DVD drive that was compatible with it off ebay and shoved it in there. The only problem was it didn't fit very good so the top of the case is lopsided and the little Xbox logo that covers the DVD drive wont stay on.

Last time I pulled it out it still worked but the DVD tray would only come out after 4 or 5 pushes of the button.

Its the first console I owned over 100 games for.

PGR2 was really amazing on Xbox live back in the day. Rainbow Six 3 was my go to game though.

such an amazing console. I spent more time playing this than PS2 during that generation, even though I owned a PS2 first. I would do anything to have Halo 2 multiplayer back (in the exact same state it was in, no remake or anything)

edit: I always wish that one day original xbox live online would come back up haha. why did they take it down anyways? to extend friend lists? fuck that

I never owned an Xbox. I should pick one up one day.

I run my browser full screen but I think my resolution on my laptop is like 1360x768 or something like that.

KageMaru

It's hard for me to go back and play last gen titles, but Shenmue 2 is still a title I try to play once a year.

I also wouldn't mind getting an xbox again to play Steel Battalion.

xJavonta

Banned

You're thinking of like a Windowed fullscreen. We're talking about fullblown, no toolbars, fullscreen. As if your web browser was a game or something.
I don't even know how I got caught up in this game but loved it & wish there was a new one coming out.

I got it for free on Steam, along with the previous game. I've played about 20 mins of it lol.

Xbox its such an amazing console, one of my favorite.

Forza Motorsport and PGR2 eated hours of my life, Toca Race Driver 3 too.

Borman

Personally I had more fun with the original Xbox than the 360 thanks to the line up.

Anyhow did anyone here managed to play this one?

I remembered reading about it but never saw the reception to the game.

I bought it a week or two ago, still hasn't come yet though. Not that I know Japanese (but there are a few guides)

We need to get some XLinkKai gaming going for the Xbox 1, that would be fun.

You're thinking of like a Windowed fullscreen. We're talking about fullblown, no toolbars, fullscreen. As if your web browser was a game or something.

I got it for free on Steam, along with the previous game. I've played about 20 mins of it lol.

Whaaaaaa?

No, we're talking about Windowed fullscreen since the beginning. Who use the full blown fullscreen (F11) mode?

And like I said, at first, if you had a 1080p display, you were fine in windowed fullscreen :)

Anyway, this is a moot point now since I've adjusted it to fit a 1366x768 display.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
edit: I always wish that one day original xbox live online would come back up haha. why did they take it down anyways? to extend friend lists? fuck that

Which they haven't even done. lol Microsoft lol.

Might as well bring the OG X-box Live back, it was the only reason I was paying in the 360 era in the first place.

Top Bottom