• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Xbox’s Return To The (offline) Party thread. Let’s play this ugly console!!

7 games has been added to my collection for a whooping $30. Ridiculous price being ridiculous as usual.

Next OP update is scheduled for this Saturday. This will be a big one.

serpent_moves

Neo Member
Loved the way you did the op, makes me want to replace rsc1 in my collection with the sequel, which I never played :) Would be cool to see other genres covered like that as well.

And because of this thread, the xbox nostlagia thread, and the xbox as sega replacement threads, I m having more and more of an urge to impulse buy some gems I've missed.

I didn't own the og xbox at the time, only played at a friend's , and the only games I played extensively were halo 1, doa 3 and rsc1. He also had amped, riddick, wreckless and jsrf but I didn't get into them.

Right now in my backlog I have (in order of how curious I am about them and how much I want to play them):

ninja gaiden
crimson skies
panzer dragoon orta
mechassault
psychonauts
beyond good and evil
fable
oddworld munch s oddyssee
kotor
otogi
splinter cell
(alreay completed halo 2 but it doesn't hold a candle to 1 sp wise, so I sold it back)

and because of these nostalgia threads, I already compiled a to buy list with:

gunvalkyrie & toejam and earl 3 ( also going through a Sega nostalgia phase lately...)
unreal championship 2 - wasn't aware Epic/MS love relationship dated so far back, and I loved ut 99 and 2003 on pc
breakdown - for me namco = tekken, soul calibur, ridge racer, ace combat, never associated them with single player character games before
oddworld strangers wrath - just looks like a unique game with a great atmosphere, I really should complete the first one though
advent rising - seems like a really cool tps with a unique world

from what i saw phantom dust is a bit too much in the quirky/weird territory for me

been also thinking of replacing splinter cell 1 with chaos theory, because of all the opinions, and I m not too fond of stealth games, so might as well cut to the chase

Jawmuncher

Make sure you have a CRAP section and post Dino Crisis 3.
Only reason to play that is if you are in the mood for some pain.
Not even the good pain like in Dark Souls just pain period.

image.php

wrowa

Loved it back in the day. Spend an unbelievable amount of hours on front of the console with a cousin of mine playing Halo, TimeSplitters 2 and such. Great times.

Though, I've got to admit, it's the only last gen console I don't return to. Actually, while I've got both the PS2 (slim) and the Gamecube at my new place, the Xbox is still at my mother's place. Nearly every time I feel like playing an old Xbox game, I realize a few minutes later that the game also has a PC version that I might be better off playing instead. Not to mention that the console is just too huge and heavy for its own good. I rather play old multiplat games on my PS2 nowadays even if that means playing an inferior version. It's just too much of a hassle to make place for the Xbox.

Basil

Banned
lol... I actually hooked up my old crystal Xbox OG a couple of days ago in a fit of nostalgia and I have to admit I completely forgot about that weird ass Romulan warp core start up screen it has.

Was gonna play Gun Valkyrie, but it has dated a lot more than I was expecting, so I dunno how that'll go. Maybe I'll try and play that Conker game instead. Never finished it.

Loved the way you did the op, makes me want to replace rsc1 in my collection with the sequel, which I never played :) Would be cool to see other genres covered like that as well.

And because of this thread, the xbox nostlagia thread, and the xbox as sega replacement threads, I m having more and more of an urge to impulse buy some gems I've missed.

I didn't own the og xbox at the time, only played at a friend's , and the only games I played extensively were halo 1, doa 3 and rsc1. He also had amped, riddick, wreckless and jsrf but I didn't get into them.

Right now in my backlog I have (in order of how curious I am about them and how much I want to play them):

ninja gaiden
crimson skies
panzer dragoon orta
mechassault
psychonauts
beyond good and evil
fable
oddworld munch s oddyssee
kotor
otogi
splinter cell
(alreay completed halo 2 but it doesn't hold a candle to 1 sp wise, so I sold it back)

and because of these nostalgia threads, I already compiled a to buy list with:

gunvalkyrie & toejam and earl 3 ( also going through a Sega nostalgia phase lately...)
unreal championship 2 - wasn't aware Epic/MS love relationship dated so far back, and I loved ut 99 and 2003 on pc
breakdown - for me namco = tekken, soul calibur, ridge racer, ace combat, never associated them with single player character games before
oddworld strangers wrath - just looks like a unique game with a great atmosphere, I really should complete the first one though
advent rising - seems like a really cool tps with a unique world

from what i saw phantom dust is a bit too much in the quirky/weird territory for me

been also thinking of replacing splinter cell 1 with chaos theory, because of all the opinions, and I m not too fond of stealth games, so might as well cut to the chase

Thanks! I am pushing for an update tomorrow night. Same format. this time I'll be covering FPS just like I promised like 6 or 7 months ago :/

As a small update, here's my Xbox collection so far:

Game in the middle is Burnout Revenge.
CGMbgyL.jpg

Game in the middle is Halo 2.
OSRcAby.jpg

Game in the middle is Painkiller: Hell Wars.
uN2nF5V.jpg

F37P28B.jpg

I still need so many games! For fuck's sake, I DON'T EVEN HAVE HALO CE RIGHT NOW. I also need to buy some lighter's fuel stat. Those price stickers are murdering this collection :O

Izick

Nice! Didn't even know this thread existed.

I want to play Phantom Dust and Mech Assault 2 sometime between now and the Nextbox launch. I have a copy of Morrowind, but every time I try I just can't get into it. (Any advice?)

Nice! Didn't even know this thread existed.

I want to play Phantom Dust and Mech Assault 2 sometime between now and the Nextbox launch. I have a copy of Morrowind, but every time I try I just can't get into it. (Any advice?)

YndeiNh.jpg

Learn to hate them first, then avoid at all cost (if that is even possible at the beginning). Follow the main quest for your first play through, otherwise you will feel overwhelmed. Close every door and chest you open. You will thank me later.

I'm not a big fan of racing games. But back in the day I used to play so much PGR2. It was just fun having a more Arcade racer that looked pretty, handled well and I loved the scoring system for it. Gotta get those Kudos!

Borman

Ill be organizing some multiplayer action over Xlink Kai this summer if anyone is interested. Already tested out Rallisport Challenge 2 with my Australian friend, worked great.

Top Bottom