• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's first party studios and a history of Xbox launches

Overdoziz

Banned
Certain Affinity didn't work on Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary. They only created the accompanying map remakes meant for Halo Reach multiplayer. Saber Interactive was responsible for the singleplayer side of the package.

Blinx_-_The_Time_Sweeper_Coverart.png

Aaahhh the good ol' days...

when box art didn't clash with the top banner.

Look at how they actually incorporated green into the cover!

Elginer

Damn, looking at those brings back awesome memories. As much as I enjoy my PS3, damn if the 360's exclusive games have given me more enjoyment. It's prob the reason why I'll have to go Xbox Next first.

Would love to see another Shadow Complex as well.

SpartanN92

Banned
Slight error regarding your Certain Affinity sections.

Sabre Interactive did Halo Anniversary, CA made the map packs for Anniversary.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
umm... you first party dev listing is a bit wrong. Exclusive title != first party (or even second party). First party means wholly owned. Second party means partly owned (as in literally owning a part of). Mistwalker, Crytek and Epic are neither of those.

edit - and it seems Certain Affinity and Remedy are not even first or second party either?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
NFL Fever

This was actually one of the best sports titles of last gen

*Spits drink all over keyboard*

borghe

I never said an exclusive meant it's first party.
Right.. I'm just saying you have a bunch of dev studios listed in the second part that are third parties. Somewhat confusing in a thread where you talk about MS first parties, and in a section where you say "There are again much more first-party studios that Microsoft currently has as well as "second parties"."

At the very least I would break them out into a "third party with some titles published by MS". Because there is no telling just because they had one or two games published by MS, that their next title will be exclusive, or heck, even coming to a MS system.

Right.. I'm just saying you have a bunch of dev studios listed in the second part that are third parties. Right.. I'm just saying you have a bunch of dev studios listed in the second part that are third parties. Somewhat confusing in a thread where you talk about MS first parties, and in a section where you say "There are again much more first-party studios that Microsoft currently has as well as "second parties"."

At the very least I would break them out into a "third party with some titles published by MS". Because there is no telling just because they had one or two games published by MS, that their next title will be exclusive, or heck, even coming to a MS system.

I know, I stated why in the OP. I included "second parties". This thread is for both history and conjecture. They might, they might not release anything.

Excellent OP, it brought back some great memories. Man, I wish I still had that same confidence in MS that I had in 2001 and 2005. I'm expecting a shit show next week, but I hope I'm wrong.

p3tran

Banned

I was referring more to power output than ring of death.
as you know, both microsoft consoles beat the competition in power (yes, even xbox 1.5).
they also beat the competition in other things, like features.
Not everything is roses though, never is - never will be, so that's why competition is always good.

Now, I had a couple of 360's die on me, but a) the microsoft warranty was good for anybody that wanted to use it, and
b) I also had my other console croak on me too, but with substantially less hours on the clock than the 360s.

Hopefully this time we can get from day 1 a powerhouse that will not melt under conditions, but between that and a lightweight spec machine with zero overheat chance, I will always prefer the former.

StuBurns

Banned
Halo was the best launch title ever, I think there's no chance MS match that, but I'm sure they'll have a couple of cool things this time.

borghe

I know, I stated why in the OP. I included "second parties".

That's not second party. Second party is where the manufacturer actually has ownership stake in the development company. It's a separate company but the first party has a sizable share. The companies I mentioned are third party through and through with some titles published by MS.

It would be like saying Platinum Games is second party to Nintendo because Nintendo is publishing Bayonetta 2.

edit - a great example would be one of the devs in your post. Rare. Rare WAS originally a third party. Then Nintendo bought partial stake in Rare even though they remained an independent company, thus making them a second party to Nintendo. Then Nintendo sold their stake in to MS, who also bought the Stamper Bros. stake in the company, making them wholly owned by MS, aka a first party.

Crytek, Mistwalker, Epic, Certain Affinity and Remedy are all third parties.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Lol this OP made me waaaay more hyped for the Infinity that I should lol :) Really looking forward to see what all their new studios are up to
!

StuBurns

Banned
There is no 'second party', it's a bullshit term people use online. It's just used to mean published by a first party, and made by someone else.

borghe

There is no 'second party', it's a bullshit term people use online. It's just used to mean published by a first party, and made by someone else.

umm.. No. It means the first party has a financial (controlling?) share of the development company, but the company is not owned by the first party.

Published by first party means published by first party.

The terms first, second and third party have nothing to do with video games. They are legal terms of ownership.

StuBurns

Banned
umm.. No. It means the first party has a financial (controlling?) share of the development company, but the company is not owned by the first party.

Published by first party means published by first party.

The terms first, second and third party have nothing to do with video games. They are legal terms of ownership.

umm.. No.

Second-party developer

Second party developer is a colloquial term used by gaming enthusiasts and media often used to describe two different types of game development studios:

Independently-owned studios who take development contracts from the platform holders and what they produce will usually be exclusive to that platform.
Studios who are partially or wholly owned by the platform holder (also known as a subsidiary) and what they produce will usually be exclusive to that platform.

In reality, the resulting game is first party (since it is funded by the platform holder who usually owns the resulting IP), but the term helps to distinguish independent studios from those directly owned by the platform holder. These studios may have exclusive publishing agreements (or other business relationships) with the platform holder, while maintaining independence. Examples are Insomniac Games (which previously developed games solely for Sony's PlayStation platforms as an independent studio) and Game Freak, (which primarily develops the Nintendo-exclusive Pokémon game series).

That's always the way it's been used in the gaming context I've seen it.

This.

Microsoft invested tons of money and physical resources in to the development of games like PGR and Gears. Even if they didn't develop them internally, they still provided people and resources to get the games done. For example, the internal MS team that worked with Bizarre on PGR eventually became Turn 10.

Publishing a game doesn't just mean paying a ton of money to secure the game exclusively. These days - especially from a first party standpoint - it also means working very closely with the developer and providing the resources required.

I mean, look at Insomniac, ThatGameCompany, Quantic Dream etc for examples of Sony working closely with 'third party' developers to create a 'first party' published game.

Crytek, Mistwalker, Epic, Certain Affinity and Remedy are all third parties.

Crytek is included because it's making an Xbox exclusive game (as this topic is about Microsoft's Xbox platform).

Epic is included because it most likely has some kind of deal going with Microsoft (obviously, given the Gears franchise), and as the topic is both for what we know Microsoft is doing as well as conjecture, it is included.

Certain Affinity will be edited since it only partially worked on Anniversary, and Remedy is included because, like Epic, it most likely has a deal going on with MS since Alan Wake is nowhere to be seen on any other console than Microsoft's. It's pretty easy to deduce where to go from there.

Again, the thread is for what we know, expectations, and speculations given history.

Sydle

Great OP, OP.

Makes me sad every time I see Kameo. I want another one, but I'll take a new adventure IP from Rare all the same.

I'm also excited about Alan Wake 2 (if it's really happening), but I want an easy mode.

Man this thread really illustrates just how poor Microsoft's First Party offerings have been outside of Halo.

Most of the best first part offerings they've had aren't even from Microsoft studios. They were merely from independent studios and PUBLISHED by Microsoft like Alan Wake.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Man this thread really illustrates just how poor Microsoft's First Party offerings have been outside of Halo.

Most of the best first part offerings they've had aren't even from Microsoft studios. They were merely from independent studios and PUBLISHED by Microsoft like Alan Wake.
Eh...this same setup is how Sony established 90%+ of its current first party dev house.

abadguy

Banned

You might have had a point if Rare's titles ( Kameo, Viva Pinata, BKN&B and yes even Kinect sports) didn't exist. not to mention Forza.

Alan Wake is awful. Fable 2 was much better. MS's first party is fine. It's the worst of the three probably, but not by some huge amount.

Alan Wake was easily one of the best games( if not the best) of 2010 for me. Day 1 purchase for a sequel at launch.

StuBurns

Banned
Alan Wake is awful. Fable 2 was much better. MS's first party is fine. It's the worst of the three probably, but not by some huge amount.

Jinko

The launch window looks pretty bleak reading through the OP.

I would say its by a huge amount.

Because exclusive games can only be fun if they're totally owned and developed by the console maker right?

borghe

Eh...this same setup is how Sony established 90%+ of its current first party dev house.

true, but the difference is that MS hasn't really bought a whole lot this gen. Technically it's a smarter way of doing business. You can fund or just publish stuff, but don't have to carry the actual employment.. but without ironclad contracts, they have no way of guaranteeing that a new development will be offered to them exclusively.

It's why I am being a stickler. Mistwalker for example had a bunch of titles out for 360, but their last title released was Wii, and after that they've done iPhone. Maybe they will have an announcement at the Infinity reveal I guess.

Because exclusive games can only be fun if they're totally owned and developed by the console maker right?

I don't think that's his point at all.. I think his only real point is that if it's not first party, or second party/majority owned, it ends up being a gamble on if it's exclusive or not... of course for gamers, the fewer exclusives the better... but for the manufacturers, guaranteeing exclusives means they will (hopefully) sell consoles.. and by not being a first party, that guarantee is harder to make.

Top Bottom