• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's indie developer's still haven't got their September payments.

FuturusX

How is even 45 days acceptable? :0

From an accounting perspective it's convenient to have longer net terms. (At least my accountant tells me that).

MS is using a standard NET 45 on small indies. Which isn't great for a small company that can live and die on a single payment owed.

I can tell you, as a small business owner, (non gaming) all the big companies I do work for have NET 30 or 45 sometimes even NET 60 terms and it hurts.

MS really should have some provision in policy for small developers though. Looks bad from PR perspective.

Remember, this is specifically for the XBLIG service, which is composed of 97% garbage games that don't deserve to make a profit in the first place, as they are exploitative knock offs of other games, offensive in their subject material or are just so poorly made that they should barely be considered products in the first place.

It does however, really suck for the handful of decent titles and devs on the service.

SeanR1221

Come on, MS. You're better than this.

Remember, this is specifically for the XBLIG service, which is composed of 97% garbage games that don't deserve to make a profit in the first place, as they are exploitative knock offs of other games, offensive in their subject material or are just so poorly made that they should barely be considered products in the first place.

It does however, really suck for the handful of decent titles and devs on the service.

More hoop jumping than a dog show

Brunobi02

Neo Member
I guess those price cuts for XBox One have to come from somewhere! I hope they resolve this quickly, not paying people for their hard work is not good at all.

JaggedSac

The reports were out on October 30th and people complained the very same day on the official forum. They "fixed" it on November 4th but it didn't change anything.
On November 17th (47 days after the quarter ended), they said that payment won't be issued until they fixed the numbers.

You have to understand that XBLIG has been "dead" for a while and the only contact we have left is with an MVP doing volunteer work, not even a MS employee...

Holy shit. Now that is unacceptable. Completely and utterly ridiculous.

Regardless of all that, they have the right to be paid.

2thepoint

evft6.jpg

This is irrelevant really.

They should be paid what they're owed, regardless of any other outside factors.

Aeqvitas

I wonder what the dollar amounts in question are. Is it waiting 3 months for a 15$ check?

It sucks for the devs not getting paid, but the article in question attributes to malice what is likely oversight of an area of business that probably no longer justifies having even 1 full time staff overseeing it. It sounds like it is run all by some accounts program that wasn't working properly.

MS should just shutter the program, isn't worth getting well-deserved bad PR over stupid stuff like this.

OnPoint

I wonder what the dollar amounts in question are. Is it waiting 3 months for a 15$ check?

It sucks for the devs not getting paid, but the article in question attributes to malice what is likely oversight of an area of business that probably no longer justifies having even 1 full time staff overseeing it. It sounds like it is run all by some accounts program that wasn't working properly.

MS should just shutter the program, isn't worth getting well-deserved bad PR over stupid stuff like this.

I won't get into specifics but for us it's much more. And for others it's probably far greater. The XBLIG service has a deserved reputation for putting out crap, but some of those crap games and some of the good games do pretty well.

That doesn't justify don't sending checks in time.

Jonnax

The reports were out on October 30th and people complained the very same day on the official forum. They "fixed" it on November 4th but it didn't change anything.
On November 17th (47 days after the quarter ended), they said that payment won't be issued until they fixed the numbers.

You have to understand that XBLIG has been "dead" for a while and the only contact we have left is with an MVP doing volunteer work, not even a MS employee...

That sounds incredibly unprofessional.

rjc571

Banned
Between shit like this and the parity clause, why do indies even bother with MS? Just put your games on Steam and PSN and don't worry about having to deal with MS's bullshit.

Finaj

I assume this was posted?:

Destructoid: "Update: I've been contacted by Kris Steele who has had contact with Microsoft recently. While no official statement has been issues yet by Microsoft. Microsoft are claiming there was an error with the sales data figures which they are now working out. They apparently now intend to pay developers within the next two weeks."

SURGEdude

The most surprising thing to me is that they give themselves 45 days before it's considered late. I mean are they tabulating this stuff on paper or something? At the very worst they could learn how to use Excel if they don't want to pay to use a proper tool.

The quality of the games has no bearing on the issue. Developers have a legal right to the money they made.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

No relevance to this conversation whatsoever.

Do the work, get paid. That's it.

Between shit like this and the parity clause, why do indies even bother with MS? Just put your games on Steam and PSN and don't worry about having to deal with MS's bullshit.

Because it has nothing to do with ID@Xbox and the Xbox one?

And because XBLIG is the easiest/cheapest way to create games on a console, even when the service is dead and MS pulled the plug on XNA.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
This is complete nonsense. If a game is sold on Xbox Live, the creators are due their agreed upon portion of that money. No exceptions.

JABEE

How about we support all developers getting paid for their work?

I assume this was posted?:

Destructoid: "Update: I've been contacted by Kris Steele who has had contact with Microsoft recently. While no official statement has been issues yet by Microsoft. Microsoft are claiming there was an error with the sales data figures which they are now working out. They apparently now intend to pay developers within the next two weeks."

Yeas, the problem is that is the same stuff they said before. They have not been payed for months

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

I wonder if you get paid when you do less than exemplary work?

Do a service -> Get payed.

Just because the service isn't "great" doesn't mean they don't deserve to get the money they were promised from a multi-billion dollar company.

Your logic is insane.

Krejlooc

Banned
With even big studios like Crytek choosing to put games onto PC due to poor sales,

What a weird comment. Crytek is historically a pc developer. Ryse not being on pc was an abnormality, not the norm.

Krejlooc

Banned

This type of corporate cheerleading is honestly disgusting. You should honestly feel ashamed for making this post and missing the point so hard.

Broly

Banned
I think people shaming MS on beeing an evil disgusting company are just as bad as people justifying this issue because shitty games. There is obviously an error made seeing as MS is huge multinational and holding out on payments because of a grudge of some sort will get them in serious trouble.

Top Bottom