• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

is there a way to make sure that a war chief has a revenge stat against you. I am really trying to go for a lvl 25 rune, but they apparently need to have a revenge point. I am not seeing a stat for that anywhere in the info for the warchief

Edit: nvm, found it right on the saurons army screen

DOWN

Banned
I turned the Color down 10 (out of 100) on my TV to make it look more like the original trilogy films. The oversaturated look in the second area made it look too much like the Hobbit and tacky.

hunchback

Just got the game. I'm a little worried though. I finished the tutorial and my map shows two story missions. I jump off the ledge and head to the first icon.
I was in stealth mode but must have been seen. A big ugly dude yells and comes straight for me. I shoot 2 arrows into his head but didn't kill him. We start fighting and other Orc's arrive. I noticed one of them blew a horn. I quickly died after that. I'm now on my 5th respawn and have yet to make it to the first mission. Is this normal? I really like what I have seen but I feel like a punching bag at this point.

I turned the Color down 10 (out of 100) on my TV to make it look more like the original trilogy films. The oversaturated look in the second area made it look too much like the Hobbit and tacky.

Thought it was a much needed break from the brown-grey-brown of the first area. The game's graphics shined in the second half.

Oublieux

Is this normal? I really like what I have seen but I feel like a punching bag at this point.

Quick pointer: a headshot with an arrow will not down a typical orc unless it's fully "charged" holding the right trigger.

And, the game is a tad hard in the beginning, especially if you get overwhelmed by orcs. However, once you unlock some perks and skills, you'll feel that sense of strength progression.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Just got the game. I'm a little worried though. I finished the tutorial and my map shows two story missions. I jump off the ledge and head to the first icon.
I was in stealth mode but must have been seen. A big ugly dude yells and comes straight for me. I shoot 2 arrows into his head but didn't kill him. We start fighting and other Orc's arrive. I noticed one of them blew a horn. I quickly died after that. I'm now on my 5th respawn and have yet to make it to the first mission. Is this normal? I really like what I have seen but I feel like a punching bag at this point.

It sounds like you may have met a captain on your first go. You may want to avoid that area until you get a bit stronger. :lol

That or you didn't fully charge your shot.

Vodh

If there's an orc with a healthbar involved, he's a captain. Might want to avoid those for like the first 20-30 minutes while familiarizing yourself with the game. If the area is labeled as a 'stronghold' that's also not a good place to be until you know what those are and are fully aware that yes, you do want to be there.

Hunt down some smaller orc patrols in areas that don't look particularly populated and practice parrying (triangle) and dodging (cross) and you'll be fine.

The Goat

Yeah, I've had this a lot. Fighting a captain, and a horde of Uruk, and I'll run into another captain who will call me out and bring his own posse along to the fight. I get overwhelmed, die and have to start again. Each time Sauron's army is gaining strength. It's a bit frustrating. Really like most of the game, but this happens too often for my taste.

Sanctuary

Thought it was a much needed break from the brown-grey-brown of the first area. The game's graphics shined in the second half.

It goes from lots of brown, grey and some green to lots of green, grey and some brown. The only real difference is that you get to run through some actual vegetation, which was nice I guess, but the game is severely lacking in the aesthetics department.

Liljagare

Gold Member
Yeah, I've had this a lot. Fighting a captain, and a horde of Uruk, and I'll run into another captain who will call me out and bring his own posse along to the fight. I get overwhelmed, die and have to start again. Each time Sauron's army is gaining strength. It's a bit frustrating. Really like most of the game, but this happens too often for my taste.

You have to run away in such situations until later in the game, even then, I still run away alot.. :p Or, you take it and enjoy levelled captains later, that can actually be fun too!!

In the beginning I just did alot of killing around/near towers, handling 3-5 uruks at the same time, at the most, and did alot of sneak kills.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You have to run away in such situations until later in the game, even then, I still run away alot.. :p Or, you take it and enjoy levelled captains later, that can actually be fun too!!

In the beginning I just did alot of killing around/near towers, handling 3-5 uruks at the same time, at the most, and did alot of sneak kills.

Using stealth and ranged attacks to whittle down numbers is a great strategy as well. Especially if the terrain has a place to hide and allow you time to lose them, so you can go stealth mid-fight and lessen their numbers from the shadows.

Arken2121

This game is so fun! I'm not even into the LoTR universe. I played this game for kicks and got hooked! Awesome experience so far!

Agreed! I finished the story earlier today and I keep playing to fuck with the Orc Hierarchy constantly. Just put a bunch of my own chieftains up the ranks. One's name is Flak Giggles...love that guy.

Carbonox

Nearly 25% complete and I've only ever died from Caragors (sp?) cos they're shit to fight. I feel I'm missing out by not letting some Orcs make their way up the career ladder by killing me so I might do that just to shake it up a bit.

I fucking love Celebrimbor though. Such a badass.

Nearly 25% complete and I've only ever died from Caragors (sp?) cos they're shit to fight. I feel I'm missing out by not letting some Orcs make their way up the career ladder by killing me so I might do that just to shake it up a bit.

I fucking love Celebrimbor though. Such a badass.

His voice alone fills the badass quotient. The actor, Alastair Duncan, also did Nihlus in Mass Effect 1 and of course the Turian councillor ("Ah yes, 'orcs'.")

was doing the sword mission (on the second map) where you have to take out specific uruk and bonus objective of killing 25 orcs. plus two random captains decided to join in (didn't know their weaknesses yet)

and this pops up on shuffle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUIZvAe3RBg

hooo, feel like a total badass. surrounded and fighting them off, climbing up to take a few arrow shots then shadowstriking back into the fray
banderas.png

highly recommend playing lotr soundtrack over the game music for this if you can. adds to the experience imo.

even the batman games never made combat look so exciting.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
juBChpR.jpg

This guy was fun to fight. I had to lead him to as many barrels to blow up I could find and shot them as fast as I could! Because he would run away like a baby as soon as he was on fire.
KuGsj.gif

Paganmoon

This game starts out pretty confusing man, was going towards the first story mission officer to kill, and got jumped by 2 officers on the way, killed the story mission officer, and before I can even start leaving the area, three more officers popped. Seems areas don't stay cleared for long? Had to sprint out of the area to be able to continue.

Sendou

This game starts out pretty confusing man, was going towards the first story mission officer to kill, and got jumped by 2 officers on the way, killed the story mission officer, and before I can even start leaving the area, three more officers popped. Seems areas don't stay cleared for long? Had to sprint out of the area to be able to continue.

The game is random like that. It's pretty rare to have that many captains appear at the same time unless there's something special going on but it can happen. Once you kill a captain there won't be one to replace him until time passes (either you die or advance time at a forge tower).

hunchback

Thank you everyone for helping with suggestions about the early parts of the game. I will listen to what you said. Thanks

El-Suave

One minor detail I'm impressed by is that when you behead a captain or a war chief and his head is flying through the air, his helmet falls off. Some nice decapitation physics at work.

The amount of dialogue in this game is staggering. Listening to orcs react to things like a carragor breaking free or their captain being poisoned just never gets old. I genuinely hear something new every playthrough.

Sanctuary

Going to start my no upgrade run apart from stuff given in story missions and no counter prompts.

Yeah, I thought that at some point I might actually do that myself. But then I thought about just how monotonous a lot of fights would turn out. It wouldn't be challenging, it would just be a bunch of basic attacks ad nauseum.

DOWN

Banned
The amount of dialogue in this game is staggering. Listening to orcs react to things like a carragor breaking free or their captain being poisoned just never gets old. I genuinely hear something new every playthrough.
Yeah it's nice to keep hearing new stuff even when you start to recognize some.

Loomba

How do I start the playstation exclusive missions?

EDIT: And is the rune that you get for preordering broken, the one where it goes on fire after 8 hits and is supposed to ignite orcs? It has never worked for me.

Hystzen

Yeah, I thought that at some point I might actually do that myself. But then I thought about just how monotonous a lot of fights would turn out. It wouldn't be challenging, it would just be a bunch of basic attacks ad nauseum.

I forgot executions are a unlock not like batman Arkham city already have them. So already broke no upgrades what done is just have all tier 1 upgrades. Executions, elven swiftness, death from above,exploding campfires and ride caragors(which assume you have to for the hunt missions). I been looking over my Orc captians and you need at least all tier 1 to cover the immunities and weaknesses they have.

Kind like my new Uruk captain Mzog the crazy his battle charge is "buttons!" his sword clash dialogue he was telling me about beetles not liking people

Glutton for punishment? Does this get an achievement or something? I feel like it is doable but just really difficult.

I do this with batman and assassins creed games add more challenge to replays not a achievement hunter person not got 1 plat

So, is it fair to say that the the real SoM kicks in after you've clocked it and are free to screw around with the Nemesis System?

I'm getting a serious hankering to jump back in and create a ruckus!

Sanctuary

assassins creed

more challenge

tumblr_lx9jb1SPMr1qdrpdr.gif

I'm seriously not laughing to be an ass either. I wish there was some way to make those games remotely challenging.

So, is it fair to say that the the real SoM kicks in after you've clocked it and are free to screw around with the Nemesis System?

I'm getting a serious hankering to jump back in and create a ruckus!

Haha. I know exactly how you feel. Each day I've been considering starting it back up, but then I don't. I might play around with the trials though.

even better than Dark Souls 2.

I feel so fucking dirty for almost agreeing with this. Now just imagine if we had gotten the Dark Souls 2 everyone was expecting (the lighting engine...) and it didn't feel like everyone had sucked down a couple of tankers full of helium. Oh well, here's hoping the real Souls team delivers come Feb.

jpax

Just finished and 100% the game and it is awesome. I think it could be my GOTY even better than Dark Souls 2.
But I have a question, in my people tab I only have 30/31 entries and I am missing Sawbones... Does anybody know where I can find them?

Hystzen

tumblr_lx9jb1SPMr1qdrpdr.gif

I'm seriously not laughing to be an ass either. I wish there was some way to make those games remotely challenging.

h.

No it fine playing with no gear upgrades shows how fucking pointless the uprgrades system is in assassins creed I only keep doing it hoping that one of them will finally be a challenge or even slight challenge. With Unitys skills tree and stuff hopefully it is the one.

Sanctuary

Press Triangle + O when he's down I believe

Yeah, it's the execution move, but it doesn't always do the decapitation animation. I've had Talion do the throat stab as well as the head chop (not neck chop) from doing that. Seems kind of random.

Ooccoo

This is probably the WORST digital download I've ever seen

Game lets you play the intro then says NEED MORE CONTENT to install.

Took HOURS to download because PSN is pretty much shit

Never a digital game again

Loxley

Yeah, it's the execution move, but it doesn't always do the decapitation animation. I've had Talion do the throat stab as well as the head chop (not neck chop) from doing that. Seems kind of random.

Yeah, it seems the only way to deliberately decapitate an enemy is by doing that head-exploding wraith finisher. The combat execution method is exceedingly random.

BigDug13

This is probably the WORST digital download I've ever seen

Game lets you play the intro then says NEED MORE CONTENT to install.

Took HOURS to download because PSN is pretty much shit

Never a digital game again

What speed do you expect from PSN exactly? Even if Sony gave you a full 25mbps pipe from their server, you're still only going to get 11GB of data per hour.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
So much fun in this game. Walk into an Uruk camp, see Orcs noticing your presence, you draw your sword, they attack, you parry, counter and demolish them one by one untill none stand. Walk away, only to hear an unsuspecting Orc scouting party say "There's been a muhrduhr here!"

Moment like this I can't help but turn around and kill them too.

I beat it earlier this morning, but may go back and attempt the bow, dagger and sword challenges that I passed on. That, and a couple of the other challenges.

Overall, I think it's a solid 4/5.

Hystzen

Uruks are dicks but love them in this game

Kill a captain in front of a group

"Eh...nobody liked him anyway let's go" the group casually walks away

Top Bottom