• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Dawg

My new favourite shot from Photo Mode.

20141020040924g5o35.jpg

DodgerSan

Uruks are just another name for orcs; Uruk-hai are the elite soldiers bred by Saruman at his tower, as seen in LotR: The Two Towers. The game is set before the movies, so Uruk-hai are never shown.

That's my understanding.

Not that far in, so I don't know if you see them in game.

But they are mentioned. I found an artefact last night, and the memory was an Orc talking about about the Uruk-hai coming in and bossing everyone around. Struck me as anachronistic.

Yeah, Talion is kind of a shitty written character.

He has almost no lines, even with his backstory he's a husk, and he falls for a new girl, what, mere hours after his wife has died?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Not that far in, so I don't know if you see them in game.

But they are mentioned. I found an artefact last night, and the memory was an Orc talking about about the Uruk-hai coming in and bossing everyone around. Struck me as anachronistic.

How come? The allegiance between Saruman and Sauron goes well back before Bilbo's Going Away Party. Uruk-Hai were being bred before the Uruk-Hai factory at Isengard.

So far the best game i played this year aside from D3, just got the platinum trophy last night. I really hope they make another game with little more refined combat and more varied side quests.

JSR_Cube

LTTP and I am sure that this has been mentioned here somewhere in the 216 pages to date but button mapping would be awesome. It is hell to play on the vita with remote play.

I am really enjoying it so far otherwise.

I just started it yesterday. It's fun. I've never played any of the Batman games or any game that this combat is meant to be derivative of, and it's fun, but I feel like they sort of assume that you have because the little tutorial section at the start was woefully inadequate for teaching you anything I felt. I died a good few times before having a clue what I was doing. I'm getting there now for sure, but there's a ton of mechanics in the game I still don't understand. Hopefully it'll all become a bit clearer as I continue. It's fun, nonetheless.

SinShep

So, I just defeated
The Hammer of Sauron
, and it was a pretty satisfying boss fight. Is this what the later bosses are gonna be like as well, or are they worse? I've seen some people saying the later ones are pretty meh.

LiK

I'm wondering how it decides Vendetta captains. I ignored one and when it popped up again, it was for the same person in my friends list. I destroyed that captain first try. He was easy.

LTTP and I am sure that this has been mentioned here somewhere in the 216 pages to date but button mapping would be awesome. It is hell to play on the vita with remote play.

I am really enjoying it so far otherwise.
Gotta love it when devs dont even bother to change the buttons around for Remote Play...
-_-

Stitch

Gold Member
So, I just defeated
The Hammer of Sauron
, and it was a pretty satisfying boss fight. Is this what the later bosses are gonna be like as well, or are they worse? I've seen some people saying the later ones are pretty meh.

You can't even call the later encounters boss fights.
Maybe they ran out of time or just didn't give shit :/

Kaversmed

So, I just defeated
The Hammer of Sauron

The boss fight you mention is without a doubt the best boss fight of them all...

eshwaaz

My new favourite shot from Photo Mode.

20141020040924g5o35.jpg
The Orc expressions are so damn good and add so much to the game. Far too many games still have enemies that look stoic and indifferent as they're being stabbed/shot/beaten and it just looks ridiculous. I love that Monolith clearly put in a lot of effort here.

The (what I assume is) automated lip sync for the orcs also looks great. Perhaps the best I've seen that's not performance captured or keyframed.

LiK

So, I just defeated
The Hammer of Sauron

The boss fight you mention is without a doubt the best boss fight of them all...

Yup, awesome fight. I really wish there were more varied boss fights like that.

Kinda annoying it straight up tells you what you need to do at the first try tho. Should've been a puzzle until your first death against him.

Owzers

I finished Mordor yesterday, really liked it but the story got away from me and had to look up some spoilers. I hope the sequel moves the series from an Orc Killing Simulator to a more rounded out game.

LiK

I finished Mordor yesterday, really liked it but the story got away from me and had to look up some spoilers. I hope the sequel moves the series from an Orc Killing Simulator to a more rounded out game.

I'm hoping for some towns or small lil areas with people you can talk to for sidequests. Mordor was not a pleasant place and I understand that. But it needed some refuge away from the onslaught of Orcs/Uruks.

f0rk

I'm hoping for some towns or small lil areas with people you can talk to for sidequests. Mordor was not a pleasant place and I understand that. But it needed some refuge away from the onslaught of Orcs/Uruks.
Imagine if the Nemesis system could be expanded out to ally quest givers. You could have friendly strongholds that get dynamically attacked and wandering leaders you save rather than kill.

E the Shaggy

Bought this over the weekend.

I accidentally sold the first rune I got. Do they start selling runes or anything later on or am I just proper fucked?

I accidentally sold the first rune I got. Do they start selling runes or anything later on or am I just proper fucked?

The first rune you got probably wasn't very good. Just kill another captain and get a new one. I'm about 50% into the game and have a ton of similar/duplicate runes that I'll never use.

The first rune you got probably wasn't very good. Just kill another captain and get a new one. I'm about 50% into the game and have a ton of similar/duplicate runes that I'll never use.

I'm like 10 hours in. Are epic runes really better than other runes? Some of them seem pretty good but others look worthless.

I wish I got short animations after my death of all the captains I killed that life instead of just the ones who killed me getting promoted. It'd be a nice little victory lap along with pumping me up for vengeance. I don't know why, but I really felt this missing.

LiK

First one? No biggie unless it was an Epic one. You'll most likely find better ones. And no, they don't sell them. They're dropped by killing Captains/Warchiefs.

I'm like 10 hours in. Are epic runes really better than other runes? Some of them seem pretty good but others look worthless.

I'm about 10 hours in, I have mostly epic runes and the majority that I've come across are significantly better especially because they don't have "(percentage) chance to (do something)".

I found one yesterday that flat out extends the duration an enemy is stunned or knocked down. It doesn't say how much but it happens every time so that's good enough for me.

I found one yesterday that flat out extends the duration an enemy is stunned or knocked down. It doesn't say how much but it happens every time so that's good enough for me.

Yeah, that one sounds great. I remember selling a couple that didn't really jive with my play style though. Guess most of them are better than a random percentage chance of something.

Some of them are. The only non-epic runes that I use now are the X% chance of gaining X heath from head explosions (only 2 to get to 100%) or the similar one to get elf shot. Makes taking on huge mobs of Uruk really easy.

Maffis

I wonder what they could have done to avoid making the game so easy in the end. It's just impossible to not kill everything so fast because 3 daggers and one timed hit or 2 bows = 2 executions, then repeat. Sure, you don't have to cheese it like that but why would you make it harder for you when you don't get anything for it.

The only thing that I literally thought was hard was a stealth mission that required me to visit 3 places and dispatch all the orcs in the area without getting seen. Perhaps orcs should've just gradually become stronger and deal more damage or I dunno. Captain's and warchiefs just became a joke. It was still fun to play though. Killing them was still immensely satisfying. I hope that the sequel will improve on this though. Perhaps having difficulty levels is the way to go.

Whoa, wait a second. This game has an official photo mode ala Infamous:SS and TLoU?

Yeah, they added it in in the recent update.

Just got this yesterday and I'm loving it. Played a ton of it. I give no fucks about the story, that's boring. The Nemesis system totally has me hook, line, and sinker though.

I had nameless orcs kill me and start to make their way up the ranks, only for me to cut them down. I've had orcs take me down multiple times, gaining tons of power, until I finally got into a scenario where I could exploit their weakness. I had one dude who had a poison rapid-fire crossbow, that could drop me in three hits (he fired three at a time). No fatal weaknesses, so there were a few times where I'd get him down, get crowded, and he'd crossbow me.

There was nothing more satisfying than taking him out. And not the 'oh you messed up my face' one, the 'fuck you, your head is flying through the air' one. PERMA'D

Calcium

Banned
I'm a little over 50% of the way through the game at this point and I'm still liking it. My initial enthusiasm for the game died down a bit when I realized I was enjoying it so much just because it wasn't Destiny. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm getting kind of tired of fighting Orcs/Uruks. The game would have really benefited from having something else to do other than wanton slaughter.

Yeah, they added it in in the recent update.

Just got this yesterday and I'm loving it. Played a ton of it. I give no fucks about the story, that's boring. The Nemesis system totally has me hook, line, and sinker though.

I had nameless orcs kill me and start to make their way up the ranks, only for me to cut them down. I've had orcs take me down multiple times, gaining tons of power, until I finally got into a scenario where I could exploit their weakness. I had one dude who had a poison rapid-fire crossbow, that could drop me in three hits (he fired three at a time). No fatal weaknesses, so there were a few times where I'd get him down, get crowded, and he'd crossbow me.

There was nothing more satisfying than taking him out. And not the 'oh you messed up my face' one, the 'fuck you, your head is flying through the air' one. PERMA'D

hahaha i love this post, i couldn't put it better myself

i'm just counting down the hours till i get home and play it again.

Ran into an hilarious situation yesterday when 4 captains turned up all at the same time. I got all 4 and it was incredibly satisfying. I have also just unlocked the brutal stealth kills which are great fun

TheHall

Finished the game yesterday and was surprised that "Az-douche the Runner" showed up again.

We've "killed" eachother multiple times and when he finally stopped ambushing me with his poison crossbow i thought my last Stealth Brutalizer put an end to him.

Nope, he popped up with a bunch of metal on his face as my final boss.

Awesome.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea, I've really cooled off on this game, at the 70% completion mark currently and having trouble finding motivation to finish the rest off. The Nemesis system kind of broke once you unlock a majority of your abilities, to the point that I barely pay attention to the actual Nemesis screen any longer or the intel screens given how easy it is to massacre or bend uruks to my will(with far too few exceptions).

Outside of that, the core open-world experience is really lacking with missions that get droll and go a bit overboard on the Ubi-esque checklist feel. I never liked Tallion as a character, his abrasive 'holier than thou' personality he imparts in every social interaction continually annoys or irriates me. I see the end of the tunnel with just a few more missions to accomplish in each category, but I've had my fill by now and my time is too limited to bother seeing it through.

A bunch of my steam achievements didn't unlock.

I figured out the cause of this. The MSI Afterburner overlay I was using to monitor FPS and my GPUs caused the Steam overlay to fail at some point and apparently if the Steam overlay isn't running, the achievements don't unlock. I was hoping unlocking another achievement would retroactively unlock the ones that did not unlock over the weekend, which didn't work. I'm not sure why it bothers me because I am far from an achievement hunter.

ultron87

The branding stuff is awesome but it kind of makes me sad that I'm now mostly encouraged to not kill captains. Finishing them off is always so satisfying.

Tadale

I bet this has come up a few times, but I've run into a problem in the last phase of the game.

So I'm supposed to be branding the five warchiefs. In the process of just playing through the map, I ended up branding or killing most every other captain. In the mission to brand the final warchief, I've branded his one body guard and I'm planning on branding the warchief during the mission, but, surprise, the body guard ends up being killed and so does the warchief.

Now I've got no warchief to brand and a bunch of already branded/dead captains. What do I need to do to get someone promoted up to warchief? Would the best thing be just to let some random orc keep killing me?

Unai

I bet this has come up a few times, but I've run into a problem in the last phase of the game.

So I'm supposed to be branding the five warchiefs. In the process of just playing through the map, I ended up branding or killing most every other captain. In the mission to brand the final warchief, I've branded his one body guard and I'm planning on branding the warchief during the mission, but, surprise, the body guard ends up being killed and so does the warchief.

Now I've got no warchief to brand and a bunch of already branded/dead captains. What do I need to do to get someone promoted up to warchief? Would the best thing be just to let some random orc keep killing me?

Make time pass fast in a tower on the map screen.

Damn haha, started this tonight, the kills in this are savage! Just kind of wondering around the map fighting guys, did the first two missions I think? No idea how I'm supposed to be manipulating the nemesis system yet but I'm sure it'll come to me. Game looks decent too.

Top Bottom