• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

This.

Nemesis system is truly a next-gen feature and leagues above the golden standard of 1080p@60FPS. Now, I don't look forward to playing any other game because I know it won't have it. W3 and DA:I are now going to be boring to combat in.. ah well..

You are kinda loosely incorrectly associating W3 and Da:I with SoM. SoM is first and foremost an action game. W3 and DA:I aren't. That's like me saying Shadow of Mordor isn't a good rpg because I cant affect the story or make dialogue choices. But, I get what you're trying to say. If I could have W3 with Batman/SoM style combat AND all the RPG goodness CDPR are known for, I'd be in my dream fantasy game. As it stands, it looks as though are taking a Batman-lite approach to combat. Which they have said multiple times, just like they said with W2; so I'm sure that should be taken with a grain of salt again.

UnrealEck

I'm guessing that's compressed to 4.2GB. Plus it's likely only one language. For example the Steam version requires 25GB or something but it seems to include a bunch of languages. Six in total. Plus the PSN file might only be a part. Maybe there's more to it upon release.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This.

Nemesis system is truly a next-gen feature and leagues above the golden standard of 1080p@60FPS. Now, I don't look forward to playing any other game because I know it won't have it. W3 and DA:I are now going to be boring to combat in.. ah well..

It must be hard for you to enjoy many games.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'm guessing that's compressed to 4.2GB. Plus it's likely only one language. For example the Steam version requires 25GB or something but it seems to include a bunch of languages. Six in total. Plus the PSN file might only be a part. Maybe there's more to it upon release.
It's PlayGo. "The concept is you download just a portion of the overall data and start your play session, and you continue your play session as the rest downloads in the background," he explained to Gamasutra.

When you pre-load that system is still used but of course by the time it's unlocked you have all the data anyway.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
My GTX 760 2 GB will probably cry, but so be it! I shall parkour into Mordor no matter what!

What scares me is they are soooo quiet about the Xbox version. I really would like something to give mine a little exercise but am too leery on this one because of the above. Looks like SSO will have to be the game to finally give my X1 a workout, that fat bastard has gotten out of shape since Titanfall.

It's definitely worrying. The dodging especially gives me cause for concern, but at least the footage in the streams doesn't look bad and the frame-rate is pretty stable from what I've seen, so it might not be the disaster I originally thought it might be.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a drop to either the frame-rate or resolution compared to the PS4 though.

That framerate on X1 definitely looks like 30FPS. I'm not sure about the resolution though.

It's hard to tell for certain, but I think you may be right.

At least there's no significant tearing, so that's a bonus. Think I'll keep my PS4 pre-order for now....

UnrealEck

It's PlayGo. "The concept is you download just a portion of the overall data and start your play session, and you continue your play session as the rest downloads in the background," he explained to Gamasutra.

When you pre-load that system is still used but of course by the time it's unlocked you have all the data anyway.

Yeah I understand. Blizzard's games use something similar.

Solidsoul

Banned
It's definitely worrying. The dodging especially gives me cause for concern, but at least the footage in the streams doesn't look bad and the frame-rate is pretty stable from what I've seen, so it might not be the disaster I originally thought it might be.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a drop to either the frame-rate or resolution compared to the PS4 though.

It's hard to tell for certain, but I think you may be right.

At least there's no significant tearing, so that's a bonus. Think I'll keep my PS4 pre-order for now....

Aren't you watching this on a 30fps stream? Couldn't that be it? I want my xbox version to be good to. :(

benny_a

Aren't you watching this on a 30fps stream? Couldn't that be it? I want my xbox version to be good to. :(
If you care about those things you have to wait until Digital Foundry. This goes for every single title going forward that looks like it stresses a system. (As opposed to a game like Towerfall)

So the XboxONE version is 720p/30fps?
Nothing is known. 720p30 is very unlikely, though.

Typomancer

Neo Member
You can be a Fuckin' Baller like me and get both.

Replace baller with whatever colorful noun you like

I’m also considering this. Mainly because I need to add it to my Steam library and never play it for a super low release price, and on the PS4 side of things I just want to play it on my TV easier without messing with cables again and to get all dem trophies.

benny_a

Are the PC issues I've been hearing about just BS??
As someone that has read a few threads on SoM, the only PC issue was from Mitch Dyer at IGN. Not some widespread stuff.

All I needed to hear!

*Buys SE on Steam*
Slow down there. We also haven't heard the opposite. :p

It's all decision market on incompletely and very little information. Maybe it launches and half the players can't play it because of some AMD bug or something. I recommend never to pre-order anything ever, no matter the platform.

If you care about those things you have to wait until Digital Foundry. This goes for every single title going forward that looks like it stresses a system. (As opposed to a game like Towerfall)

Pretty much this.

If you're worried, wait for DF to comment. X1 streams do look good though, so at least that's something.

I’m also considering this. Mainly because I need to add it to my Steam library and never play it for a super low release price, and on the PS4 side of things I just want to play it on my TV easier without messing with cables again and to get all dem trophies.

Yup. I wanted it on PC in case mod tools are released and I got it for less than $26. Wanted it on PS4 so that I could take my PS4 to a buddies house if I wanted to. Trophies are for chumps :p But I get it.

Solidsoul

Banned

Nothing is known. 720p30 is very unlikely, though.

I always watch Digital Foundry's coverage. I honestly done care about resolution/framerate much either. It's just, I've been waiting for shadow of mordor since it's announcement. No game this year matters as much to me as this one. Maybe MCC but that's all older games.

martino

I always watch Digital Foundry's coverage. I honestly done care about resolution/framerate much either. It's just, I've been waiting for shadow of mordor since it's announcement. No game this year matters as much to me as this one. Maybe MCC but that's all older games.

same here since all other games i was wainting were delayed ^^

theDeeDubs

I'm thinking the differences will be similar to Tomb Raider DE after watching some streams now: 1080/30 vs 1080/50-60. Maybe it was a placebo effect, but despite streams being in 30fps, the animations seemed smoother on the PS4 streams.

Patroclos

Banned
I just pre-ordered it on my Mac for PS4. Supposedly it is downloading now. Neat! I didn't know you could do that I am so easily convinced. Damn you Gaf. Just kidding, the only way I can see this game being a waste for me is if it's a reskinned AC. I'm pretty convinced at this point its not that. Hopefully the Nemesis system alone is worth the price of admission.

DieH@rd

Banned
I haven't seen any, but someone earlier posted that it uses all the DS4 buttons and that some actions were still mapped to two simultaneous buttons, so I suspect controls via remote play might be a concern.

Everything is best if backtouch is not used. Destiny mapped few bnuttons on "simultaneous use", and there were no problems.

Top Bottom