• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor PC Performance Thread

Fractal

Banned
But you get higher resolution textures by downloading a high resolution texture pack, how could you have different expectations?
When a texture pack says it doubles the VRAM requirement and pushes it into a yet uncharted territory, I'm expecting a difference which SCREAMS at me from the screen. Simply put, go big, or go home!

Seanspeed

Banned
A couple of videos of the benchmark running on a 2GB GTX 770.

Video 1: Textures on high. Everything else its highest.

Video 2: Same as above with shadows and AO turned down one notch to high.
Well that's a huge increase in performance. Pretty good starting point for anybody without a great card and needs to turn something down.

Stitch

Gold Member
Those drops to 29 fps during the benchmark when things start exploding are weird.

oh ok, the ingame v-sync is crap.

but forcing it through radeonpro (+ triple buffering) also doesn't work which isn't good because forcing SMAA also doesn't work.

meh, not impressed with this port.

lmbotiva

So what's the consensus on the performance? Good? I have a gtx 770 4GB and im undecided between PC and ps4, thing is ive been burned so many times with unoptimized games that is hard to make a decision, I'd like to know gameplay performace if someone can share it please, not benchmark stuff, also, does it have native gamepad support?

bj00rn_

Banned
Well the marketing drones who came up with the 6GB vram thing mission accomplished I guess, got people to talk/troll about the game

That or perhaps developer is just so-so. I mean, useless 6GB VRAM requirement - But no AA.. "Ultra", but still looks like years ago. Yeah.. Congratulations, you managed to put "Ultra" in your settings, but sorry, it still looks like "Just Ok".

pixlexic

Banned
oh ok, the ingame v-sync is crap.

but forcing it through radeonpro (+ triple buffering) also doesn't work which isn't good because forcing SMAA also doesn't work.

meh, not impressed with this port.

Why are you forcing smaa? Can't you just go up one resolution? Or does the down sampling not work on your card?

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Sadly, I did not get as good performance on my setup (although sli certainly helped). Running 3570k@4.5ghz, 8 gigs ram, geforce 2x780 sli (pny reference designs) and windows 7 64 bit:

sli disabled, ultra settings except textures high, 1080p:

sli enabled, sli bits and rendering settings from fear 3, ultra settings except textures high, 1080p:

I did not note any graphics glitches during the benchmark with sli.

inspector settings:

note: You have to add the game exe to the existing nvidia profile. It does not point to the correct exe in the steam version

Got it up and running, and while scaling is OK to Good, the game does not feel smooth during combat.

shadowofmordor_2014_0o3j3j.png

shadowofmordor_2014_0dykst.png

SixtyTonAngel

Neo Member
I was convinced that triple buffering wouldn't work and that it was Direct X, but setting it in the Nvidia control panel worked.

I checked the frame rate with FRAPS and there is now zero tearing. It didn't seem to work first go, but when I alt-tabbed out and started FRAPS, it seemed to work when I went back into the game.

knitoe

Got it up and running, and while scaling is OK to Good, the game does not feel smooth during combat.
Andy,

I am disappointed. Where's are official SLI profile? And, you need to restart you monitoring program to show the correct VRAM usage after enabling SLI.

UnrealEck

yeah downsampling doesn't look that great and my average FPS is also only 46 with it at 150% :/

150% of what?
Remember it looks at any custom resolutions you have saved in nVidia control panel for example.
I have 4K saved and in-game, 1080p is displayed as 50% even though that's my monitor's native resolution.

So what's the consensus on the performance? Good? I have a gtx 770 4GB and im undecided between PC and ps4, thing is ive been burned so many times with unoptimized games that is hard to make a decision, I'd like to know gameplay performace if someone can share it please, not benchmark stuff, also, does it have native gamepad support?

Performance is great as reported from multiple users so far. Even older cards seem to perform very well. I say go with the PC version.

Gbraga

Does injecting SMAA work with this game?

Also, wow at the performance difference by turning down shadows and AO.

So I guess with a 2GB 680 I should try High textures, maybe Medium AO and High Shadows, everything else maxed?

Does injecting SMAA work with this game?

Also, wow at the performance difference by turning down shadows and AO.

So I guess with a 2GB 680 I should try High textures, maybe Medium AO and High Shadows, everything else maxed?

Sounds about right. Post some results afterwards!

UnrealEck

Native gamepad support is in the game.
Game runs well on my GTX 770 which has half the memory yours does and it does it running high textures.
Very acceptable performance.

I think the 680 is a tiny bit below the 770 in terms of power (I think you're aware since you said medium AO) but I think you'll be fine with high textures, high AO and high shadows with everything else maxed. Same as what I have. Especially if your card isn't stock clocked.

Seanspeed

Banned
Really? I think even bumping up a small red increase looks alot better than something like fxaa at 1080p.
Its just not an efficient use of performance. FXAA is very cheap, while you're having to really suck some resources for downsampling.

Much better to start off with a traditional AA method and then add downsampling on top depending on how much performance you can, or are willing to spare.

Its just not an efficient use of performance. FXAA is very cheap, while you're having to really suck some resources for supersampling.

Much better to start off with a traditional AA method and then add downsampling on top depending on how much performance you can, or are willing to spare.

FXAA is a small hit, but it makes the image soft in the process. Downsampling is a bigger hit, sure, but everything looks so smooth and sharp that it's definitely worth it for me.

If given the option of 60 fps but FXAA or 50-60 fps and downsampling, im going with downsampling every time.

Seanspeed

Banned
FXAA is a small hit, but it makes the image soft in the process. Downsampling is a bigger hit, sure, but everything looks so smooth and sharp that it's definitely worth it for me.
FXAA isn't the only AA method out there.

SMAA *would* be ideal if it worked, cuz its effective, doesn't result in a soft image like FXAA, and isn't that demanding.

It should run great on your card definitely better than on the PS4.

When a texture pack says it doubles the VRAM requirement and pushes it into a yet uncharted territory, I'm expecting a difference which SCREAMS at me from the screen. Simply put, go big, or go home!

I'd rather have the option to use this texture pack than not, even when you may not feel it is worth the difference in VRAM. In that case leave it off.

If given the option of 60 fps but FXAA or 50-60 fps and downsampling, im going with downsampling every time.

But he'd rather have the option to do both or have a different AA solution.

garath

They are different, look at the ground.

Yeah. I see it. It's subtle but it's there. Some other screenshots have shown a little bit more of the ultra textures than these shots.

I'm just not seeing the double the size textures. I'd expect twice as detailed for double the size. Pretty disappointed.

Krakn3Dfx

PC specs:

i7 920 @3.9GHz
24GB of DDR3
MSI GTX 970 OC Edition

Benchmark @ 2560x1440 Ultra

965E09D1EA9C95933E661F04BAB40EE9C89881D5

Game looks amazing, loving that Ranger pre-order outfit.

61851C28A17B4BC7741B636FFA7F7B247084BC5A

scitek

Well that's a huge increase in performance. Pretty good starting point for anybody without a great card and needs to turn something down.

Turning motion blur off netted me about 10fps in the benchmark. For games that can keep a solid 60fps, I prefer no motion blur, anyway, so that's good.

MattyG

Banned
Somethings fucked with the sound. It keeps skipping and making a weird... I dunno, buzzing sound I guess? Its just a quick "zipp" every few seconds.

UnrealEck

Somethings fucked with the sound. It keeps skipping and making a weird... I dunno, buzzing sound I guess? Its just a quick "zipp" every few seconds.

First place I'd check is the sound options and try changing to headphones or speakers if it's on home theatre.Try changing your sound in windows to stereo too.

Grief.exe

Has anyone been experimenting with MSAA through Nvidia Inspector?

I wish Nvidia had MFAA up and running at this point. Shadow of Mordor would be the perfect test case seeing how it doesn't have an AA solution by default.

Has anyone been experimenting with MSAA through Nvidia Inspector?

I wish Nvidia had MFAA up and running at this point. Shadow of Mordor would be the perfect test case seeing how it doesn't have an AA solution by default.

I was hoping someone, anyone had AA running. I'd love to apply it in a few hours when I get home.

Are we expecting a driver update for Mordor yet or no?

MattyG

Banned
First place I'd check is the sound options and try changing to headphones or speakers if it's on home theatre.Try changing your sound in windows to stereo too.
I figured it out. I'd moved my USB receiver last night and it was getting interference. Now I just have to get V sync working.

And do I have to turn resolution to 150% to get AA? That's probably going to kill my performance.

Xyber

Everything maxed out at 2560x1440 and I get 60FPS most of the time. Closer to 50 in some areas. I get some minor stuttering every now and then, but nothing too bad.

Overclocked 970, i7 4770K@4,3GHz and 8GB RAM.

So all of a sudden I keep getting a crash to desktop saying;

"Video device removed or reset" (or something along those lines).

Any news on this?

My specs:
1440p
i7 2700k 4.4Ghz
GTX 780
8GB RAM

I thought it might be because I was forcing Vysnc in control panel but even with it off it crashes.

Check your event logger. If you don't specify a bit your specs we can't help you.

I did so last page sorry. I cant even get past initial loading now without it crashing its doing my head in.

d00d3n

The benchmark scores do seem a bit optimistic compared with gameplay, especially combat. I was able to run the 150% resolution downscaling method with 70 avg fps in the benchmark (using sli, ultra but textures high), but it was not very playable in the first combat encounter against orcs. Fraps went down to 35 constantly, and down to 40 with shadows high.

Although SLI still improved performance in 1080p, ultra except textures high. The same combat encounter was a pretty stable 60 fps with SLI, but constantly down in the 30 fps range with sli disabled. Subjectively I think that combat felt much smoother with SLI activated in this case.

Also, the game looked pretty awful with vsync disabled, so I would not recommend anyone to run the game like that.

b0uncyfr0

2500k and overclocked 770 2GB here. Getting roughly 60 fps solid with everything maxxed, AO and Shadow quality on High. Textures on High @ 1080p

Borderless mode is a life saver. The in game vsync is just bad. The tearing isn't too bad but I'm hoping there's a way around that. All we need now is smaa support and a new driver from nvidia.

Padinn

Well, so far I can't get it to be stable for long. It crashes at gamma screen. Finally got in game and it crashed after 15 min or so. 970 with latest drivers.

Twookie

Now, I'm not really a PC gamer (a total noob really) other than playing various MOBA's with friends and the occational guild wars 2. How would these specs fare with this game?

Intel i7-3770k 4.2ghz
Nvidia 660ti SLI
16gb ram
1080p

Would I be better off buying SoM on my ps4 or will I have a much better experience on my computer?

Wag

Yep, another game with no ultra-widescreen resolution support. It supports the resolutions, but the AR is all screwed up. Nice. Why software developers realize that people have ultra-wide displays (ie: 3440x1440)? Now I have to wait for the guys from Flawless Widescreen to support it.:(

Stitch

Gold Member
this game somehow seems to ignore every AA, even sweetfx does nothing.

oh yeah and the ingame vsync seems to work fine if you use borderless instead of fullscreen.

Top Bottom