• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor PC Performance Thread

pixlexic

Banned
I'm really disappointed. I have to lock my 290 OC rig to 30 fps to even get stable non-erratic fps on everything Ultra on Ultra DLC. Using a non(K) i5 haswell cpu could be hindering it.

IMO the texture pack doesn't do much.. it doesn't seem to be for characters? I can't tell if it is anyway.

The base texture set for the environment isn't bad to start with.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Well my stock 3570k and stock 7950 are putting up a great effort at 1080p. Nearly smooth as butter at 60fps at the recommended Very High setting. I may turn down the AO and blur some to really get it rock solid.

But overall I am very happy. I just need to test it out on the big screen via In Home Streaming and I am set. No ultra textures, but the base game looks very good already.

knitoe

It isnt there I said that...

Did you use the steam download link through your web browser? If no, do it and download. Afterward, the DLC will show up in the steam client, check HD pack and download the 3.7GB. Once done, enable ULTRA textures ingame.

bodine1231

Just ran the bench mark @ 1440p with everything on max except texture which were on high

CPU: i5 2500k @ 3.3ghz
Ram: 16 gb @ 1600
GPU: Zotac GTX 970 standard clock

Feel like I remember seeing people with a 970 also running 1440p getting slightly higher average? Maybe my i5 with standard clock is making me lose those extra frames? It seems like most other people are running better cpu's or at least high clock on the i5 2500k.

Some guys are lowering stuff too though like ambient occlusion.

llaannccee

Currently have this pre ordered on the xbone. Should i get this on the pc instead?

Gtx 780
i7-4770k
16gb ram

Is the retail dvd release steamworks? Its £5 cheaper to get the retail release.

Facism

my cpu is below minimum spec, being a 3.2ghz phenom 2 810 quad core. everything else is above recommended afaik. gpu is a 2gig 660gtx and system ram is 8gb. anyone with a similar setup? would rather play on pc rather than console :(

sorry for being a cunt and quoting myself but I'm proper thirsty for the game :3 reckon i'll be ok?

npa189

I'll run benchmarks today but my 3570k and gtx 670 seem to be just fine at 1080 on high, I still want that high res texture pack though.

Currently have this pre ordered on the xbone. Should i get this on the pc instead?

Gtx 780
i7-4770k
16gb ram

Yes? Fucking seriously? With that kind of PC it always flabbergasts me that people still consider console versions.

Yes, the DVD release comes with a key that needs to be activated on Steam.

jpax

Getting any hitching with the 4gigs of VRAM and Ultra textures?

I have active v-sync when playing because of the crazy tearing/stuttering. I think the biggest drop I noticed was when switching to a qte scene. It was to 52 FPS. 99% of the time it is stable 60 with this very strange rapid switching between 60 FPS and 59 FPS which is not noticeable. This switching also occurs in other games and is independent from quality settings.

Edit: oh I also tried 150% and 200% resolution but my frame rate drops to 40 FPS or even 20 FPS...

Yeah, so accidentally turning 4x AA on in Radeonpro instead of SMAA could be why I was seeing much lower fps than others on equivalent and lower systems. Set it up correctly and now getting a fairly steady 60 with the odd slight dip, with ultra textures and everything on high bar medium shadow, low AO and tessellation off. Running on a 2500k @ 4.4, 12gb ram and 7950.

Facism

The game is apparently very IPC dependant so your CPU might hold you back. In your case it's probably better to play on PS4.

i'm not a fan of console sku taxes so i'll wait it out until i upgrade. Thanks for the response.

Pjsprojects

Odd benchmarks.

FX-8350 black with slight overclock.

GTX-580 3gb Palit oc edition.

8gb Corsair ram

jJQM5ohWYBtzZ_xs.jpg

jqpQFDKkZENsx_xs.jpg

Mrbob

Update now with Ultra Textures:

Average FPS: 74.6

Max FPS : 192.8
Min FPS : 23.7

Lower the shadows from ultra to high and/or the AO from high to medium.

Gtx 780
i7-4770k
16gb ram

Very much yes unless you don't want to play the game on PC.

justjim89

Any way to get the settings to like an ultra-low level? Like ini tweaks to really lower some of the DX11 stuff? My laptop does fairly well with most games on low settings, but DX11 kills it.

Read on the STEAM forums from a few people that turning of Tessellation will stop the Nvidia driver crashing issues.

Unknown if it actually does, haven't had time to test.

Kinthalis

Banned
Any way to get the settings to like an ultra-low level? Like ini tweaks to really lower some of the DX11 stuff? My laptop does fairly well with most games on low settings, but DX11 kills it.

I doubt it's DX 11, but rather some DX11 effects that might be too taxing on low end hardware. Just lower some of the most demanding graphics settings.

Kinthalis

Banned
What exactly is mesh quality, and what changes if you turn it down?

Mesh quality is referencing the detail of 3D models. So this is probably an LOD setting. The higher you go, the more more complex the 3D models of objects near you, and further from you.

So normally how this works is you have one very high quality 3D model for a particular object, then you have another version with less details that you can use to render the object when it is farther away formt he camera, and then you might have yet another model that you cna use when the camera is even farther away. This saves on GPU performance at the expense of video memory.

With a high LOD, it's possible that higher quality 3D models stay at longer distances, and models at shorter distance, or environmental models might also use higher quality 3D meshes.

I've tested the FEAR 3 SLI bits and the Batman Arkham Origins SLI bits and the Batman one seems faster on the benchmark.

However if Maldo is right then neither will work (or will barely work) when playing.

FLAguy954

I've been trying to maximize settings on 1080P to get a near constant 60fps vsynced in game using fraps. I'm not at home to check but these are what I believe are my settings:

4670K @ 3.8ghz
R290

Lighting quality - High
Mess quality - ultra
Motion blur - camera only
Shadow quality - high
Texture quality - ultra
Ambient occlusion - med
Vegetation range - ultra
DoF - on
Order independent transparency - on
Tessellation - on

With my current settings above I'm not seeing drops. Seems to me AO and ultra lighting quality hurt performance the most. If I turn AO on high I can hold a 60 fps most of the time but when I do execution moves the frame rate drops to 30. This may not bug others but it bothered me. Plus with lighting on Ultra my frame rate would dip if I did any fast turns in an area. So for the moment I'm going to keep things are they are listed above as I want to keep everything at 60FPS as much as possible.

Thanks for this! You pretty much have the exact setup as myself so I appreciate the post (my 4670K is overclocked to 4.5 GHz btw).

stufte

I've tested the FEAR 3 SLI bits and the Batman Arkham Origins SLI bits and the Batman one seems faster on the benchmark.

However if Maldo is right then neither will work (or will barely work) when playing.

my performance from these sli fixes are hit and miss. most of the time it works great, but during battles or over the course of a few hours performance starts to go to shit.

Shotterke

Perhaps you're paging memory to hard disk? I suggest using Process Explorer to check the memory load (run the program and press ctrl+i) over something like Windows' built-in Resource Monitor. I mentioned in a previous thread how Watch Dogs would start paging to disk and crash if I had too many browsers open. I don't have the game yet but I'm curious how much memory size matters.

Also, if you have a hard limit set to how large the page file is allowed to grow then that might also be an issue. One of the reasons I had crashes in Watch Dogs was because I thought that I wouldn't need more than a gigabyte of SSD space for the pagefile because I have 12GB of system RAM. Even at that memory size, I would get stutters as the OS started paging my browser sessions to disk.

The graph to pay attention to is System Commit rather than Physical Memory. Below the graphs is Commit Charge which has Limit/Peak which become important if they ever go over your 8GB of system RAM.

It doesn't go over 5,5gb so I guess that's not the problem.

I just did a clean install of Windows 7 with just the basic stuff + Steam + Shadow of Mordor and I get the same result. Every time I complete an objective, loot a collectible, check stuff in the menus ... the game freezes/stutters... It's really annoying to play like this. I guess I'll just get the PS4-version when I can find it cheap because I can't be bothered playing like this.

pixlexic

Banned
Well my stock 3570k and stock 7950 are putting up a great effort at 1080p. Nearly smooth as butter at 60fps at the recommended Very High setting. I may turn down the AO and blur some to really get it rock solid.

But overall I am very happy. I just need to test it out on the big screen via In Home Streaming and I am set. No ultra textures, but the base game looks very good already.

It doesn't go over 5,5gb so I guess that's not the problem.

I just did a clean install of Windows 7 with just the basic stuff + Steam + Shadow of Mordor and I get the same result. Every time I complete an objective, loot a collectible, check stuff in the menus ... the game freezes/stutters... It's really annoying to play like this. I guess I'll just get the PS4-version when I can find it cheap because I can't be bothered playing like this.

Have you tried lowering settings and seeing if it still does it?

AU Tiger

GTX 680

@1080p

With all settings at max values except

- Textures at high
- Occlusion set to low
- Motion blur off

locked @ 60fps, benchmarks around 65 fps.

Runs really smoothly with no frame dropping during heavy combat.

Akronis

Game just stutters like crazy when I use these bits :( Gotta wait for the official profile.

Dr Dogg

Just a quick note that anyone using the in game framerate limiter is has some issues delivering a smooth update and frametimes are a bit skitish for me. RivaTuner Stats Server to the rescue and it's a much, much smoother experience.

UnrealEck

I was playing last night and my PC shut off. Started it up and found my Northbridge was at 95 degrees celcius.
The heatsink on it looks pretty effective too. Guess it needs some paste applied to it.

Gtx 780
i7-4770k
16gb ram

Your setup is pretty close to mine. I have a 4790k + 970 and game runs super smooth on ultra @ 1080p. Go for PC version IMO.

Mrbob

Thanks for this! You pretty much have the exact setup as myself so I appreciate the post (my 4670K is overclocked to 4.5 GHz btw).

Yeah I'm up to 4.2 now and will keep it there for awhile. Nice overclocking chip. Playing Mordor made me realize I forgot to up my OC on my home theater PC.

Why would I want to do that? I am getting stable 60 fps with v-sync.

Oh sorry I must have misread. Thought you were getting frame rate drops.

jet1911

What kind of performances could I expect with a GRX560 and a 2500k & 3GHz? I'd play at 1080p.

I could buy the PS4 version but I have some Money in my Steam wallet that I could use.

Nif

Gtx 780
i7-4770k
16gb ram

Yes, I have the same parts and I get a smooth 60fps on ultra 1080p

Posted?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-eyes-on-with-pc-shadow-of-mordors-6gb-textures

Digital Foundary Eyes-On with Mordor:

So without further ado, we present a selection of comparisons of the game's opening scenes, captured at medium, high and ultra texture settings with all other settings ramped up as high as they go. Monolith recommends a 6GB GPU for the highest possible quality level - and we found that at both 1080p and 2560x1440 resolutions, the game's art ate up between 5.4 to 5.6GB of onboard GDDR5. Meanwhile, the high setting utilises 2.8GB to 3GB, while medium is designed for the majority of gaming GPUs out there, occupying around 1.8GB of video RAM.

It's at the medium quality setting where things start to become noticeable. Ground textures in particular look significantly blurrier compared to the high and ultra modes, and incidental detail can look rather blocky. Most of the attention to the game's visuals has been dedicated to the outrageous requirements of the ultra texture mode, but perhaps the real story here is how the lion's share of gaming GPUs have 2GB of memory - and that plants them firmly in medium quality territory. We're still looking at the console builds, but an initial comparison with PS4 suggests that it sits alongside the PC's high quality setting.

760 owners:

One thing we should point out is that it is perfectly possible to run higher-quality artwork on lower-capacity graphics cards. However, you quickly fall foul of the split-memory architecture of the PC. On Xbox One and PS4, the available memory is unified in one address space, meaning instant access to everything. On PC, memory is typically split between system DDR3, and the graphics card's onboard GDDR5. Running high or ultra graphics on a 2GB card sees artwork swapping between the two memory pools, creating stutter. Shadow of Mordor has an optional 30fps cap incorporated into its options, though - with a 2GB GTX 760, we could run the game at ultra settings with high quality textures and frame-rate was pretty much locked at the target 30fps with only very minor stutter. In short, there's a way forward for those using 2GB cards, but it does involve locking frame-rate at the console standard - and the ultra textures didn't play nicely with the card, even at 30fps.

R9 280 owners (me :D)

Indeed, it's actually the compromises made to accommodate 2GB graphics cards that are more concerning. The game still looks good, but in certain areas, console is a cut above - unless you kick in the frame-rate limiter. We saw a similar story with Titanfall: Respawn's debut required a 3GB graphics card to match the texture quality found in the Xbox One version of the game. That being the case, the recent discounts found on the 3GB Radeon R9 280 start to look compelling, especially as its replacement, the [/font][/color]R9 285, only has 2GB of RAM in its standard configuration

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-eyes-on-with-pc-shadow-of-mordors-6gb-textures

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
2500k @ 3.5 GHz
7970 3 GB VRAM
16 GB DDR3

Most settings on Ultra, High textures.

50-60 FPS

Changing lighting to high makes the game 55-60 FPS

Pjsprojects

Just asking one more time. I feel on the edge of needing to upgrade my 580.

If it's any help I posted above my spec with fps benchmark and the GTX-580 3gb runs the game fine with mostly a mix of high & ultra.

I thought about a 4gb 770 but don't think I will see much of an upgrade to warrant it.

Ugh, can't decide if I want this on PS4 or PC.

760gtx (Oc'd) 2gb :( ; 3570k (@4.2); 8gb ram; 1080p monitor

I hate how my card would probably get beat up by the higher textures.

Kinthalis

Banned
Just asking one more time. I feel on the edge of needing to upgrade my 580.

Based on the benchmarks your CPU will not bottleneck your GPU at all and your GPU is better than what's on a PS4. I think around high settings ~60 FPS is doable.

You'll likely have to lower textures to medium though unless you have a 3Gb 580.

Kezen

Banned
Ugh, can't decide if I want this on PS4 or PC.

760gtx (Oc'd) 2gb :( ; 3570k (@4.2); 8gb ram; 1080p monitor

I hate how my card would probably get beat up by the higher textures.

Well the PS4 will get you better texture quality. I'd say go for it if you don't have enough VRAM for console textures.

Top Bottom