• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor PC Performance Thread

nbthedude

I'm in the same boat PS4 or 1.5gb 580/2500k @3.5
PC you have more control over fps vs IQ. Also in terms of longevity, future PC version years better when revisited on newer hardware down the road. Not to mention it can be found for literally half the price. I have a Ps4 but I didn't even consider that version for the above reasons.

Curious to see how many 770 2gb handles medium-high settings. I have top of the line everything else, just that damn fucking 2gb giving me nightmares every goddamn night good god geeees

Got this preloaded on steam with a 770 2gb...hoping I can run it at 1080p 30+fps on high settings.

okay i have a friend bothering me over steam chat whether he's going to be able to run it and i dont want to tell him he can and have him buy it

GeForce GTX 555 is what he has

thoughts?

he doesnt care about textures or anything just as long as it doesnt explode his computer

My god @ that benchmark. This game looks like poo and barely runs over 60.
"Good ports due to console PC architecture we'll get" they said.

My god @ that benchmark. This game looks like poo and barely runs over 60.
"Good ports due to console PC architecture we'll get" they said.
There's a shit ton of compression in that video, it's impossible to tell whether it looks good or bad. Youtube can make Crysis 3 look meh. And there's no reason to think it's not a good port, he's getting over 60 FPS with everything set to max, including tessellation which the consoles don't have at all. 970 isn't an expensive card.

There's a shit ton of compression in that video, it's impossible to tell whether it looks good or bad. Youtube can make Crysis 3 look meh. And there's no reason to think it's not a good port, he's getting over 60 FPS with everything set to max, including tessellation which the consoles don't have at all. 970 isn't an expensive card.

I don't think this game will be a graphical showpiece, Youtube or not. 970 is not expensive but new and very good. Anyway, maybe my reaction was a bit quick, we don't know what effects are in use overall and Nvidia drivers may help improve performance. Still, when looking at the PS4 version, this game should run well even on older cards.

Corgi

Banned
Are there comparisons of high vs ultra textures of images?

Only part that I noticed in watch dogs were the written signs. Don't imagine mordor having much of those.

Another fellow HD5850 user! Nice to see we're not relics yet :)
old_couples_in_love_are_so_cute_640_26.jpg

Ugh I wish I could afford a new card. My HD6850 just isn't going to up to the task with these new games. Looks like I might have to suffer through medium settings.

Sry for cross-posting.
Bench on my rig:
http://youtu.be/M9Cu9Wb-6l0

How does it run ingame? same as the benchmark? (tomb raider benchmark e.g is a lot more demanding than most of the game minus shanty town)

Do the graphics look like that in the game ? Or is the benchmark environment more detailed? In screenshots and videos of gameplay the ground was always just a flat texture with drawn on rocks (tons of pebbles and added geometry here in the benchmark)

If it looks like that ingame it somehow looks quite a lot nicer than the screenshots and videos posted before..
Still, 70 ish fps with dips to 40ish on a gtx 970 is pretty poor performance, it doesn't look that good...

At least the ingame settings menu is pretty good, downsampling support in the menu, clearly labeled settings and enough of them.

Either high or a mixture of medium and high, most likely. Memory is the (only) area where the consoles are pretty competitive with high end PCs.

unified mem and that cpu/gpu on the same die.

it's nice because consoles are forcing parallel processing to be utilized on games. it's 2014 and with all the tech that pc has, most games only use 2 cores.

So what's the best deal on this on PC? I saw people posting that GreenManGaming code, but that doesn't seem to work with Shadow of Mordor. I'm considering getting it since I have a GTX 770M and no car currently to pick up my PS4 preorder.

FLAguy954

My 970 came yesterday, just in time. I hope my 4670 doesn't become a bottleneck. Should of just got an i7 at the time probably.

As long as you overclock the thing it should hold you over for quite some time (I got lucky with a 4.5 GHz overclock on mine).

I think I made a mistake by buying on PC over PS4...

I have an Radeon 7950 with an i5 4670 (3.4 ghz) with 8 gigs of ram. I have to assume the ps4 version would run better.

Are you running your CPU stock? Seriously guys, give overclocking a try, you didn't buy a K branded processor for nothing!
I hope

nbthedude

So what's the best deal on this on PC? I saw people posting that GreenManGaming code, but that doesn't seem to work with Shadow of Mordor. I'm considering getting it since I have a GTX 770M and no car currently to pick up my PS4 preorder.
Weird. I literally just today got a new code offer today from Greenmangaming in my email advertising 25% Shadow of Mordor specifically for only 24 more hours.

The email was literally titled "One pre-purchase to rule them all."

But yeah aside from that the dudes in Buy Sell Trade are good reliable peeps. Hit one up with a Pm. I got a few copies from this guy in particular: www.tinyurl.com/neogafmordor

Skyzard

Banned
I heard Nuuvem isn't giving out keys till tomorrow. Some BS excuse about only Steam buyers getting to pre-load.

I translated the Portuguese forum post where the guy explains they were hoping the vendor, which he says GMG also uses, would have sent the keys at the same time but they didn't - only GMG have gotten their keys. So yeah, I guess tomorrow :/

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Hit up the BST thread. Premium Edition going for $33.

UnrealEck

I don't think this game will be a graphical showpiece, Youtube or not. 970 is not expensive but new and very good. Anyway, maybe my reaction was a bit quick, we don't know what effects are in use overall and Nvidia drivers may help improve performance. Still, when looking at the PS4 version, this game should run well even on older cards.

It will run on older cards if you tone down the settings like the PS4.
That video you're referring to was also showing the benchmark. Those tend to be more stressing than regular gameplay benchmarks because they've been purposefully tailored to stress hardware more. But I don't see how 73 (and that's an average too) is just over 60.

Top Bottom