• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War PC performance thread

Arrith

Neo Member
I'm having a weird issue. Ryzen 1700x and 1080 Ti, I get 42 fps no matter what settings I select, 4k or 1080p. When I play the game, it was a smooth 60 fps in intro until I reach the first City with the captain and I get 44-48 fps no matter what settings I try or resolution.

Exact same issues on 1700 (@3.9) and 1080ti which is watercooled and OCed as well, running on 3440x1440 and lower reses, on low or ultra makes no difference, wont break 32-42fps, GPU usage noting going past 75% just before the city and when in it wont push past 55%.

Hope this gets patched asap or I wont be playing it

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is nobody having an issue with random crashing? I have DDU my drivers and installed the most recent. I have no idea what could be causing this as I have never seen a similar error, and cant really find much about this specific error on google... any thoughts?

This is just a shot in the dark, but try going back to the 385.69s.

Okay finally got an hr in

1080ti
16gb ram
ssd

3440x1440 (x34 gsync)

fps 60-95, no obvious drops, frame times <16,

able to stream using obs and keep the fps up, and most importantly, feels smooth

However, I'm only using high settings, nothing on ultra yet

J_Viper

Just realized my Geforce app is launching on start up anymore, and it's not even detecting that SoM is installed.

That's great. Maybe the latest driver fucked something up?

This is just a shot in the dark, but try going back to the 385.69s.

I’ll give it a shot, another thought I had was maybe it has to do with the dynamic resolution switching? I checked the steam forums and looks like a few others are having this error. It’s just so strange as it seems to be very isolated/rare, and I have tried a variety of different troubleshooting methods to no avail. My system is pretty standard in terms of setup, so it is concerning that this issue is so isolated....

I rolled back the drivers, but no luck... this is a total mess.

Mifec

Just realized my Geforce app is launching on start up anymore, and it's not even detecting that SoM is installed.

That's great. Maybe the latest driver fucked something up?

They disabled autostart and tray icon a few patches ago. It won't detect SoM until sometime tomorrow. It always does that with new games.

dragn

Do I need the ultra texture pack for 1080p or is it for 4K only? Maybe someone can make a quick comparison Screenshot?

J_Viper

They disabled autostart and tray icon a few patches ago. It won't detect SoM until sometime tomorrow. It always does that with new games.
Weird. I've had it on my system tray right until I installed today's driver.

Oh so the optimal settings will go up tomorrow? Makes sense. Thanks for the info. Hopefully the app can get the game running the way it should.

Game looks good though not a big difference between high and ultra textures. Even though ultra textures take an extra 5GB of VRAM.

i5 4670k
GTX 1080 8GB
32GB Ram
SSD

Benchmark results 55 - 90. Locked it at 60 + using Nvidia's "fast vsync" = solid performance.

Graphics settings:

Display mode: Fullscreen; Windowed; Borderless; Maximized
Scaled resolution: 0.25x; 0.28x; 0.36x; 0.44x; 0.51x; 0.69x; 1.00x; 1.14x; 1.44x; 1.78x; 2.25x; 2.78x; 3.36x; 4.00x; 4.55x; 5.44x; 7.11x; 9.00x; 11.11x; 13.44x; 16.00x; 18.20x; 64.00x; 72.82x;
Display adapter: Self-explanatory
Game brightness: Self-explanatory
Display area setting: Self-explanatory
Vertical sync: Off; Full; Half
Dynamic resolution (target framerate): Off; 30fps; 36fps; 40fps; 45fps; 48fps; 54fps; 60fps; 72fps; 80fps; 90fps; 96fps; 108fps; 120fps; 144fps; 160fps; 180fps; 240fps
Max FPS: No limit; 30fps; 36fps; 40fps; 45fps; 48fps; 54fps; 60fps; 72fps; 80fps; 90fps; 96fps; 108fps; 120fps; 144fps; 160fps; 180fps; 240fps

awesome

ISee

Can't install the game atm because my ISP changed my connection one day early and the new, required modem isn't here yet.

I assume 1440p/60 are easily doable on a 1080, but what about ultra textures and how high can settings be pushed into the ultra territories?

JaseC

I hate how they only show the 3 newest gpu and just ignore stuff like my 970.

Here's a relative performance chart:

3105834-7389378309-perfr.png

Sky87

The 4K Cinematic Pack won't take up any additional resources besides HDD space, right? As they're all pre rendered.

Rizific

6600k @4gz
16gb ddr4
1440p

defaulted to ultra but wasnt happy with performance. benchmark was 58fps. turned everything to high, changed AA to AF, turned off tessellation, benchmarked to 78fps. tired as hell after work but i played for an hour and im happy.

I’ll give it a shot, another thought I had was maybe it has to do with the dynamic resolution switching? I checked the steam forums and looks like a few others are having this error. It’s just so strange as it seems to be very isolated/rare, and I have tried a variety of different troubleshooting methods to no avail. My system is pretty standard in terms of setup, so it is concerning that this issue is so isolated....

I rolled back the drivers, but no luck... this is a total mess.

Are you running two monitors? I'm on an AMD card, but i was getting the same thing until i disabled one monitor.

JaseC

The 4K Cinematic Pack won't take up any additional resources besides HDD space, right? As they're all pre rendered.

They'll demand more CPU power when being played back, but, yeah, they won't impact game performance for the reason you stated.

Captn

Do you need to actually get ingame and set the settings to ultra to download the optional 4k textures / cinematics ? Or you need to go back in steam and download manually ?

I'm at work, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks

JaseC

Do you need to actually get ingame and set the settings to ultra to download the optional 4k textures / cinematics ? Or you need to go back in steam and download manually ?

I'm at work, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks

The store pages for the packs aren't up yet, but there are install links in the OP.

Edit: http://store.steampowered.com/app/561950/Middleearth_Shadow_of_War_High_Resolution_Texture_Pack/ and http://store.steampowered.com/app/666840/Middleearth_Shadow_of_War_4K_Cinematic_Pack/.

Froz3n

Can anyone else confirm the ryzen performance issues? Even if the game only used ONE thread it still wouldn't make sense for the game to run at 42FPS maximum on any setting - the IPC gap is nowhere near that big, especially from all these people on here with 4790ks etc. Must be a bug. The first game also doesn't have this issue.

Can anyone else confirm the ryzen performance issues? Even if the game only used ONE thread it still wouldn't make sense for the game to run at 42FPS maximum on any setting - the IPC gap is nowhere near that big, especially from all these people on here with 4790ks etc. Must be a bug. The first game also doesn't have this issue.

Ryzen 1800x@4.0ghz and Vega64LC here, running the benchmark, at 1080p - 101fps, 1440p - 72fps, 4k - 43fps. Everything at max except textures, no dynamic resolution.

I need to check the actual game and not just the benchmark, but it feels smooth so I don't think its a ryzen problem.

Just checked ingame, 70-90 in the first city at 1440p, i don't think its a ryzen problem.

Not seeing any real performance difference between High textures and Ultra textures, also not seeing any really texture difference either, I guess a few of the textures look sharper but the VRAM requirements seem out of whack, 8GB isn't enough with everything on Ultra according to the options, I don't think the game will ever need more than 8GB of VRAM so I guess I'll leave them on Ultra for now and see if any performance changes as I play more.

robotrock

Banned
Finding TAA way too blurry sitting close to my monitor and also finding FXAA not good enough. Anyone try anything else?

Or how much higher should I scale the resolution so TAA doesn't look blurry?

Yeah I turned that on and it's smooth as butter

Running Ryzen 5 1600 and benchmark gives me 90ish FPS, in game it's a smooth 60 fps.

I'd agree except how could it be bottlenecked by a Ryzen 1700x which isn't that much slower than a 7700k when overclocked, ie, within 10% for gaming... And bottlenecked to only 40 fps??

In some games 1700X is much slower than 7700K, maybe this is one of those games. After all, it's ~4Ghz vs ~5Ghz if both overclocked to the max.

I'm using MSI Afterburner v4.4.0 Beta 19 with whatever the latest v7.0.0 beta build of RTSS is (26? 28?) on Windows 10 Pro v1709 build 16299.15 (Fall Creators Update Insider) and the overlay is not showing for me, although it displays perfectly fine in other games I'm currently playing (Forza Motorsport 7, Forza Horizon 3, A Hat in Time and Project CARS 2 for example).

PC: i7-4770K, 16 GB, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 on an ASUS ROG Switft PG279Q 165 Hz G-SYNC monitor using the latest v387.92 WHQL driver.

Anyone know why?

I'm using MSI Afterburner v4.4.0 Beta 19 with whatever the latest v7.0.0 beta build of RTSS is (26? 28?) on Windows 10 Pro v1709 build 16299.15 (Fall Creators Update Insider) and the overlay is not showing for me, although it displays perfectly fine in other games I'm currently playing (Forza Motorsport 7, Forza Horizon 3, A Hat in Time and Project CARS 2 for example).

PC: i7-4770K, 16 GB, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 on an ASUS ROG Switft PG279Q 165 Hz G-SYNC monitor using the latest v387.92 WHQL driver.

Anyone know why?

Setting the rendering mode to "Vector 2D" worked for me.

Captn

I wish shadowplay would work when Msi AB is activated. Every time I start recording, it lasts 2 seconds.

If I don't use AB I'm fine with recording and there is no impact on performance either with it.

Might just use fraps for fps as shadowplay fps option sometimes don't work depending on the games.

Deepo

Windows Store version works with HDR, at least on the newest Insider build. No 4K Cinematics pack in the Windows Store yet though.

Froz3n

I wish shadowplay would work when Msi AB is activated. Every time I start recording, it lasts 2 seconds.

If I don't use AB I'm fine with recording and there is no impact on performance either with it.

Might just use fraps for fps as shadowplay fps option sometimes don't work depending on the games.

Just use steam overlay for fps or something.

Top Bottom