• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War PC performance thread

Iceternal

It's really weird... When I run the benchmark I get 75 fps average but the game still seems to drop frames or stutter... I have a 980ti and I'm playing on ultra settings at 1080p. Shouldn't it be butter smooth?

Do you mean it showed an in game option for HDR when you enabled it through windows? I did that last night and did not see an option. I can't tell if I'm using the games' HDR or if its Windows generic HDR.

It appears in brightness settings as HDR enabled to confirm it is active. Make sure you enable HDR in Windows before launching the game also.

It's really weird... When I run the benchmark I get 75 fps average but the game still seems to drop frames or stutter... I have a 980ti and I'm playing on ultra settings at 1080p. Shouldn't it be butter smooth?

Ultra settings need more than 8gb vram. Does a 980ti have more than that?

Game keeps opening on the wrong Monitor and I cannot find a way to fix it besides turning off all my monitors but one.

Anyone else have this happen or find a solution to it yet?

mephixto

Banned
Games run fine on my PC, most of the time between 70-100 fps everything on Ultra.

Specs:
CPU: 3930k @ 4.5Ghz
GPU: 1080ti @ 2025 MHz
RAM: 32GB
Resolution: 2560 x 1440

telasoman

Game keeps opening on the wrong Monitor and I cannot find a way to fix it besides turning off all my monitors but one.

I have the same problem.

I am going to try the windowed mode thing listed here.

To anyone who may have this issue, I have been given an answer that worked. Switch to windowed mode, move it to the screen you desire to use, and switch back to borderless/fullscreen. It stayed on the correct screen when I relaunched it, but another person on the Steam community page said it reverted back. Hopefully it works!

https://community.wbgames.com/t5/Support/Game-Not-Displaying-On-Correct-Monitor/m-p/1689417

Do the mouse controls feel really floaty to anyone? I don't know if its mouse acceleration or what but just moving around the camera with the mouse feels like there is this lag where the camera keeps moving after I've stopped moving the mouse and its super distracting.

ss_lemonade

Weird that enabling HDR in Windows before launching worked for HDR. Most games can toggle it on and off in-game. At least it works, though.
I thought this was the case only with Windows Store games (Forza 7 for example). I guess all games now will work this way to keep things consistent? I like an in-game toggle better though

NeoRaider

These kind of threads are becoming less and less useful for me, it feels like all of gaf has at least a 1070 or higher :(

Ikr??
Also there are barely ppl with AMD cards posting. 200 posts in this threads and only 3 or 4 with AMD.

It's all same one or two high-end GPUs repeating.

Maffis

Do the mouse controls feel really floaty to anyone? I don't know if its mouse acceleration or what but just moving around the camera with the mouse feels like there is this lag where the camera keeps moving after I've stopped moving the mouse and its super distracting.

It's not VSYNC perhaps?

J_Viper

Will uninstalling the UHD textures improve performance?

This game isn't much of a looker anyway. I don't think I'll miss them.

I thought this was the case only with Windows Store games (Forza 7 for example). I guess all games now will work this way to keep things consistent? I like an in-game toggle better though

Yea, I was really confused and upset because I thought HDR wasn't in the game. But there is no toggle in-game unlike other Steam titles with HDR support.

It has to be turned on in Windows first and then it will appear under the brightness settings as enabled.

Well, after lots of testing and tweaking I just have to say at this point the game is completely unplayable and broken.

I cannot go more than 10 minutes without it crashing. Happens regardless of my settings, have tried disabling other programs, overlays, etc...

Sky87

4k cinematics are apparently bugged, a video stopped playing a second into it after picking up one of
shelob's memories.

EDIT: Apparently it's supposed to be like that.

Well, after lots of testing and tweaking I just have to say at this point the game is completely unplayable and broken.

I cannot go more than 10 minutes without it crashing. Happens regardless of my settings, have tried disabling other programs, overlays, etc...

Can you even start the game? If i run new game or benchmark it crashes for me each time...HDR doesn't affect it, Nvidia drivers arent either - I am a bit lost.

Can you even start the game? If i run new game or benchmark it crashes for me each time...HDR doesn't affect it, Nvidia drivers arent either - I am a bit lost.

Yeah, I can start the game just fine.

I've played the beginning of Act 1 so many times that I could recount it by memory at this point. Have yet to reach the gates though, it always crashes before I get there.

Tizoc

My Specs-
16 GB RAM
IntelCore i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.6 GHz
NVidia GTX 970M
Windows 10.

Seems the game crashes on start up and it affects laptop owners. One fix that was recommended was to set the game to borderless windowed via its cfg file in Documets folder and taht ought to get it running.

Struct09

i5 3570K
GTX 970
16 GB DDR3

Settings are a mix of Ultra and High and the benchmark gives me high 70's at 1080p. I have the game locked at 60 fps, I'm happy with the performance.

My Specs-
16 GB RAM
IntelCore i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.6 GHz
NVidia GTX 970M
Windows 10.

Seems the game crashes on start up and it affects laptop owners. One fix that was recommended was to set the game to borderless windowed via its cfg file in Documets folder and taht ought to get it running.

I can’t seem to find this file in my game folder, but setting the game to borderless in game still results in crashes

nynt9

Anyone have an idea about these?

A few issues.

2- Geforce experience is not registering the game, and when I'm in the game it says the game is not synced to my monitor refresh rate (I have a g-sync monitor)

3- As a result of 3, I have some annoying screen tearing. Using unlocked FPS and no v-sync, hoping that would make my monitor just force g-sync, but that doesn't seem to work.

Now I’m stuck on a verifying integrity loop - install is done but it won’t start the game. This is a nightmare.

EDIT: this fixed my crashes for the moment though.

Can’t seem to get rid of screen tearing though Jesus. What’s wrong with this

1. Press ALT Enter to change to windowed mode
2. Drag window to desired monitor
3. Press ALT Enter again

I seem to have resolved my crashing problem.

My rock solid for years never had a single problem in any game whatsoever 4.4 GHz overlock to my 5930k seems to have been the problem. Shadow of War for some reason did not like my overclock at all.

I reset to default clocks and was able to play without crashing.

Tovarisc

4k cinematics are apparently bugged, a video stopped playing a second into it after picking up one of
shelob's memories.

EDIT: Apparently it's supposed to be like that.

If you hear clear audio pop then it isn't how it's supposed to be, but is bugged.

Uninstalling 4k video pack fixes it and makes those few seconds clip play out like intended.

HDR performance feels a bit....underwhelming? There is no HDR brightness scale like in Hitman or Battlefield 1, so the highlights are pretty dramatically unbalanced and blown out even if reducing regular brightness, and the colors don't really pop like they do in other HDR games I've played.

Things feel a bit washed out and rather boring looking. Maybe in later areas this will improve?

Tizoc

I can’t seem to find this file in my game folder, but setting the game to borderless in game still results in crashes
I did the following
1- i set the .exe to 'disable dpi scaling'
2- ran the game, but it still crashed on startup
3- it created the .cfg in documents thankfully. I set it to borderless and so far no crashes but we will see

Top Bottom