• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War trailer (WB/Monolith, PC/XB1/PS4, 8/22), gameplay Mar 8th

Zedox

Yes, more 3rd party Xbox Play Anywhere title. I believe this is the first "announced" title for Project Scorpio. Nice.

More XPA the better.

First of all, fuck cgi. Also already seeing the fall sidestep. Who the fuck aims for August? Waves are being made behind the scenes. E3 is gonna be massive.

Its really a shame that with all of the cool locales middle earth has to offer, this series insists on keeping you stuck in the least interesting.

Zukkoyaki

I'm loving that they're saying eff canon. LOTR is an amazing setting ripe for compelling media. Not really any different than what Rocksteady does with Batman.

singhr1

Forging a new ring? We're well off piste then with lore I guess. But what they hell it's only a game. Enjoyed the first even if in hindsight it was a little "bare bones" behind the nemesis system. This looks to be more robust though so definitely interested.

Not like the first one really cared much for the "lore" in the first place. The idea of a wraith-human hybrid is already unheard of. I'm fine with doing things outside of the lore.

I'm just disappointed its in Mordor... AGAIN. Visually, the most BLAND of all of Middle Earth and again not realizing the attributes that make the literature based on Middle Earth distinctive compared to the rest of the contrived high fantasy fiction based on it.

I wonder if this game will be seen as fondly in a climate where good games aren't as hard to come by. I know I'm not alone in thinking the original was massively overrated at the time.

Truant

I think Tolkiens stuff is bland and boring, so I don't mind if they go crazy with the story. Shadow of Mordor was a decent first attempt, and I think they could do a lot more with the open world, systems and RPG mechanics for this one.

Tinúviel;231114734 said:
I really want to know how much of the movie licence Monolith has.

Are they not allowed to use movie musics,sounds,characters and artwork or are they choose not to use them.Like Minas Morgul looks exactly same,Gollum looked same,but i bet if they add Gandalf and Aragorn to this game they won't look like a Sir Ian and Viggo.

Yeah AFAIK, they don't have the LOTR movie license, which is why I was surprised at how movie-accurate some of the locations in the trailer are.

EPaul

the first one was pretty good but i got burnt out trying to platinum it. Hopefully this game expands the game loop abit more

Honestly didn't think that was too exciting of a trailer. The premise seems kind of tired too. Hoping the game is fun at least. I was a fan of the first game, but for some reason I can't get excited yet. Gotta see gameplay first I guess.

link1201

This is pretty cool for Xbox buyers.

As an Xbox Play Anywhere title, if you purchase a digital version of Middle-earth: Shadow of War on either the Xbox Store or Windows Store, you will automatically have access to the game on both Xbox One and Windows 10 at launch – and for Project Scorpio at its launch this holiday season – at no additional cost.

martino

I really spend good times with mordor...but it wasn't a year like this year.
This will come high in 2018 if there is a month with no games interesting me.

I think Tolkiens stuff is bland and boring, so I don't mind if they go crazy with the story. Shadow of Mordor was a decent first attempt, and I think they could do a lot more with the open world, systems and RPG mechanics for this one.

Your mom is bland and boring!

Trailer looked neat, only canon in Middle-Earth is what's in the books and whatnot, so these movies and games are just like EU was for Star Wars. Fan Fiction, often silly and outright stupid but sometimes ok.

Pilgore

Neo Member
I'm loving that they're saying eff canon. LOTR is an amazing setting ripe for compelling media. Not really any different than what Rocksteady does with Batman.

The consistency of the world-building is what makes Middle-Earth so appealing, it *is* a setting ripe for compelling media *if done right.* Lord of The Rings is the direct opposite of a power fantasy and this is exactly that. Why can't Talion use his ranger wits and smarts to outsmart and defeat the enemy? Because teleporting wraith powers! I get it, it's fine, it's just conceptionally and thematically completely messed up in relation to Tolkien. But perhaps that is more a Video Games problem in general and not a Shadow of Mordor thing.

Jennipeg

Yeah AFAIK, they don't have the LOTR movie license, which is why I was surprised at how movie-accurate some of the locations in the trailer are.

Could they have got round that by using some of the Alan Lee/John Howe illustrations? The ones they made before working on the movies?

sirap

This is pretty cool for Xbox buyers.

As an Xbox Play Anywhere title, if you purchase a digital version of Middle-earth: Shadow of War on either the Xbox Store or Windows Store, you will automatically have access to the game on both Xbox One and Windows 10 at launch – and for Project Scorpio at its launch this holiday season – at no additional cost.

Uhh...isn't Scorpio a souped up Xbox One? Why is this a surprise? Not like it's a new generation or anything...

Fliesen

i thoroughly enjoyed the first game, gonna enjoy this one as well ... give me a constant drip feed of open world action adventure games and i'm happy.

hydruxo

I really spend good times with mordor...but it wasn't a year like this year.
This will come high in 2018 if there is a month with no games interesting me.

I mean, it's coming out in August which is traditionally a pretty dead month for gaming. It should do well assuming the game is good.

Dio

Banned
A black guy in middle earth? So obvious this is fan fiction. /s

Dont think we ever saw one before.

They exist, though. The thing is...

The Easterlings are aligned with Morgoth or Sauron with the exception of Bór's folk. They are described as being of fairly dark skin complexion, swarthy and exceedingly cruel. The Southrons (or Haradrim) are described as black-skinned, cruel and evil, and are apparently at least inspired by Indian cultures with traits such as fighting on Mumakil-back.

So black people do exist in LOTRverse, they're just 'aligned with Sauron.'

Jb

I really like Monolith. If they build on the mechanics and ideas of the first game like Condemned 2 built on 1 this could be a lot of fun.

Could they have got round that by using some of the Alan Lee/John Howe illustrations? The ones they made before working on the movies?

Good point. They can claim to have been inspired by the same works that inspired the movies. A common ancestor, if you will.

link1201

Uhh...isn't Scorpio a souped up Xbox One? Why is this a surprise? Not like it's a new generation or anything...
Well that's true. I guess I gotta reset my mindset about it.

Marketing playing their Jedi mind tricks with me. lol

Drek

I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm ok with the fan fiction storyline, though it'd be cool if after this they spun off into a pre-Hobbit time period or fast forwarded beyond LotR to do their own depiction of the Middle Earth that followed. The plot feels constrained and overly contrived to fit within the confines of the books just to say that it's chronologically aligned with the books, even though no one would ever mistake it for canon work.

Monolith is a very talented studio and I've been following their games since they were both Monolith and Snowblind, so I wish them all the best here. Likely on my B2G1 holiday sale list already as long as it doesn't have something incredibly revolting baked in a la campaign micro-transactions or similar.

August is an interesting release date. Pretty much the same day as Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I can see not launching right into the teeth of the holiday storm with this game but I'm not sure if the IP and the previous game carry enough weight to make this stand out. The first stood out because it was the best game in a bad holiday lineup. Now it's going to be releasing mid-gen when everyone is dropping bombs from August through November.

Monolith is owned by Warner Brothers Games, a subsidiary of Warner Brothers Entertainment. New Line Cinema was merged into and is now a brand within Warner Brothers Pictures, as part of Warner Brothers Entertainment.

They have the rights to all the movie shit they want to mine.

Tinúviel;231114734 said:
I really want to know how much of the movie licence Monolith has.

Are they not allowed to use movie musics,sounds,characters and artwork or are they choose not to use them.Like Minas Morgul looks exactly same,Gollum looked same,but i bet if they add Gandalf and Aragorn to this game they won't look like a Sir Ian and Viggo.

The likenesses and voices of the actors was licensed out seperately for the first three films. Ian McKellen has been pretty outspoken about how it. For example, he has stated that he made more money from his likeness and voice work in the LotR trilogy games than he did from the movies themselves, but when it came time to do The Hobbit they tried to staple video game adaptations onto his movie deal for a fraction of what he made before, so he refused.

I'd imagine Monolith is trying to walk a bit of a fine line here where they want the artistic sensibilities of the movies to bring the movie fan base in the door, but don't want to borrow the assets to the point of it becoming heavy handed. Beyond that I'm sure that both Enya and Howard Shore get a taste on re-use of their works associated with the trilogy, they were both well established in their field at the time after all, and so it'd be yet another bite out of the profits should they go down that path. Music licensing is a bitch in video games, just ask Square Enix.

They exist, though. The thing is...

So black people do exist in LOTRverse, they're just 'aligned with Sauron.'

To clarify a bit on this further, Tolkien does hang a lampshade on the unfortunate implications by having Sam muse on whether it's right to really consider the men aligned with Sauron evil, or if they've merely been misled and tempted by Sauron's promises.

He wondered what the man's name was and where he came from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home; and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace-all in a flash of thought which was quickly driven from his mind.

The line is transplanted to and spoken by Faramir in the films.

Edit: Given Talion's stated ancestry as a Northman, it may be that the black guy we see, who seems pretty prominently featured, may also have a 'non-standard' ancestry among the Gondorians.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
shadow of mordor
shaow of war

Would not be better name war of mordor?

It is particularly baffling.

I feel like a better title would have been "The Two Mordors"

Top Bottom