• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War trailer (WB/Monolith, PC/XB1/PS4, 8/22), gameplay Mar 8th

Not sure what's confusing about them mentioning Scorpio. Hey mentioned PSPro Support, announcing it is coming to Scorpio is basically them saying it will have enhancements much like PSPro will have.

Keasar

I think Tolkiens stuff is bland and boring, so I don't mind if they go crazy with the story. Shadow of Mordor was a decent first attempt, and I think they could do a lot more with the open world, systems and RPG mechanics for this one.

To be fair, Tolkien is pretty much the groundwork for most modern fantasy tales.

But yes, overall though when compared to everything derived from it, Tolkien is pretty boring in comparison nowadays. Very well detailed and thought out, but just very standard.

That said, Shadow of Mordor had a very interesting concept, I liked the nemesis mechanic and so on, the game just needed way more variety and also boss fights that didn't feel like shit and anti-climactic.

Space_nut

Uhh...isn't Scorpio a souped up Xbox One? Why is this a surprise? Not like it's a new generation or anything...

Pro was a gamble on which games would get support on day 1. This is an official announcement months before Scorpio releases that it'll get patched day one

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I still suspect this teaser is for something Batman related:

The styling of the text and logo matches the styling of Arkham City and Arkham Origins a lot (particularly Origins), whereas nothing from the previous Middle-Earth game matches.

City:

Origins:

Shadow of Mordor:
So you're expecting them to unveil the gameplay demo of Shadow of War and Batman on the same date?

@Wreck

6BaIsVp.png

Kell of BOOBERRY!

Im just happy we getting more Kellogs Blueberry or whatever his name is.

Monolith is owned by Warner Brothers Games, a subsidiary of Warner Brothers Entertainment. New Line Cinema was merged into and is now a brand within Warner Brothers Pictures, as part of Warner Brothers Entertainment.

They have the rights to all the movie shit they want to mine.

*snip*

Cool. Thanks for this. So, then my next question is why don't they lead with the Lord of the Rings branding on these games? Surely that would be more recognizable to the general public than Middle Earth.

I am definitely interested. Storywise, I will largely ignore the series connections (or disjuncts) with the books. Excited to see gameplay.

August you say?
Xbox Play Anywhere you say?
Scorpio..... you say?

Okay then, I'm in!

Every game that will be XPA will be Scorpio ready, right?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think these two are the two DLC season pass characters since they only appear on the Season Pass edition box art:

mordorextrassajyv.png

Pilgore

Neo Member
I don't know much about the LOTR lore, what was the problem with Shadow of Mordor?

Essentially, the whole game is thematically discordant with everything Tolkien was trying to talk about. This is why I don't see it as a game that is truly set in Middle-earth (more of an alternate-reality). Even if Talion is somehow redeemed at the end, the end does not justify the means in Tolkien's works - for example, if Gandalf took the Ring to overthrow Sauron, we would not see him as a heroic character. Lord of The Rings was about coming together to fight for a greater cause, it's about friendship and courage. Shadow of Mordor was a power fantasy, thematically really not in line with Tolkiens works, at all. The lore inconsistencies are less important (I think) as even the movies had some inaccuracies but it didn't matter because they were *thematically* consistent with the written works and didn't celebrate violence. A big lore inconsistency is Celembrimbor being a wraith, it's impossible, flat out. But I'm not a purist and like I said, it's ultimately not the most important thing to get right imo. But like I've said before to someone else in this thread, I think it's more of a Video Games problem in general than a SoM problem, as making a video game that discourages violence and killing (especially at this budget) is hard to come by.

brau

Nice. If they add cities and all the variety of enemies based on that trailer it should be an epic game. Can't wait to see some gameplay already.

I honestly had given up hope they were making a sequel to the first game. Despite it being loose and fast with the canon, I'll take any LOTR game over no LOTR games haha

Ramenman

So glad we're getting a sequel.

Don't really care for a CG/story trailer though because gameplay and moreso over-arching systems were the star of the show in the first game.

Nice to know we'll see the game in action March 8, and that it's releasing soon!

RedAssedApe

Banned
Nice. Doing the Fallout thing with short reveal to release window.

Also at least one game to play during the usual summer drought

Considering I don't give a shit about the story or the characters the announcement trailer was bleh to me. Just pleased it's happening, give me more advanced nemesis system and improved combat and I'll be a happy goose.

Lol, Shadow of Mordor's story was so inconsequential that I just breezed right over it. But forging a new ring is so silly that I gotta just laugh and revel in what will surely be a ridiculous ride.

Ashtar

We're going to see about 50% of the major titles this year do that it seems.
It's interesting I think this is the farest out Date we have so far but we know so many titles are comings
COD, SW: BF2, AC, Wolfenstein, Ubi Pirates, Destiny 2 to name a few

cripterion

First game was very repetitive and got boring real quick. The story was bad. Hard to get excited for a sequel, especially since the overhyped nemesis system did little to add variation in the game.

Is ma Baker making a return for the VA?

Interesting that they are talking about this "coming to Project Scorpio". I guess it's clearer phrasing than "game has Pro support"

Top Bottom