• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War will have premium currency/loot boxes

All right, you simply don't want to listen to arguments and ignore everything I post

Have fun living your life,
Bye

Great stealth edit on your last post, but you still have shown me no PROOF.

I did read their press release. It has no text saying the game is balanced around the microtransactions or that it will affect your experience.

It actually has a part where it says:

Please note: No content in the game is gated by Gold. All content can be acquired naturally through normal gameplay.

You have given no arguments or proof. You are just saying that the MTs will affect my SP experience because you think so. No real proof.

So yeah I don't get why you get mad when you don't even have a real argument.

I did read their press release. It has no text saying the game is balanced around the microtransactions or that it will affect your experience.

You have given no arguments or proof. You are just saying that the MTs will affect my SP experience because you think so. No real proof.

You seriously don't seem to understand it. Saying "you can earn it all in-game!" does not in any way mean "You can earn it all in-game in a reasonable time, we didn't balance it around the microtransactions!". Of course they aren't going to come out and say "We designed the game so that it takes a long time to do anything in order to give you a reason to buy them!" or anything about how the game is actually balanced with them in mind.

Designing the game around microtransactions so that takes a long time to get anything (or at least, more than it would had they not added microtransactions) is the norm. So far there has been nothing to suggest this will do anything different than all the other exploitative implementations of microtransactions, especially when that's basically the whole point of having them in the game in the first place - without adding an incentive for people to buy them (you're at a disadvantage/they've designed the game poorly on purpose) they would be utterly pointless.

FanDeNintendo

Neo Member
I am genuinely confused at the people who just can't seem to grasp why there is outrage.

I mean, to me it's as clear as night and day here.

Let me try to explain it in the most simple way I can.

• Game A is the game as it would have existed had there been no marketplace or loot boxes. Let's say it takes an average of 2 hours of playing to get one "Legendary" piece of ingame loot. The game is balanced around the fact that gameplay and ONLY gameplay determines the rate and chance of a legendary piece of loot in the game. I don't think anyone would have any issues with this.
  • Game B is the game with the the market and microtransactions in place. Now, if it still took 2 hours of play to get one "Legendary" drop and the microtransactions mean that someone with more money than sense can get one right away, then that's fine. I don't think most people would have too many issues with this. The problem is that history has shown us that this is almost never the case.
  • Game C is the game with the the market and microtransactions in place. Now it takes 10 hours of normal gameplay to get one "Legendary" drop and the microtransactions mean that Mr. Moneybags can get one right away. This is what everyone expects to happen because it's what almost every single game/publisher does when they add in this bullshit.

Game A is what everyone wants, Game B would be tolerable and Game C is what everyone expects WB to do because WB is gonna do what WB does and that's be scummy shitbags.

If there is no incentive to pay then the majority of the people who would actually pay won't and only the whales would still buy. Microtransactions are not there out of the goodness of their hearts to help those too lazy to play the game or with lots of money. They are there to needle out the most money out of the most people they possibly can and if the base game gave drops at the rate it would normally then no one save for a small percentage would buy them.

Now, as several people have pointed out currently we don't know how the game is balanced. Again, everyone is hoping for Game B as the best case scenario but cmon, be realistic here. The vast majority of games that have this bullshit follow the Game C model.

Great post. We hope for Game b but... It's WB.

While there may not be proof until the game launches there is clear precedent in the industry for any reasonable person to be worried.

SneakyBewitchedCats-size_restricted.gif

Warner's last major game, Injustice 2, already fucked up the microtransactions.

The game has a currency called 'source crystals', which you get in small increments as you level up.

However, once you get enough source crystals to buy about two skins, the leveling curve either breaks or fucking skyrockets, effectively shutting off that drip. Additionally, they require source crystals just to make one piece of gear look like another one, which is pretty outrageous.

Belker

How can the existence of them be proof that they affect me? I will buy the game, enjoy it and never even buy a single MT. How can the affect my experience?

I think maybe we're looking at this in different ways. It seems like you feel you're not affected because you don't actively have to spend money. I'm saying you're affected passively.

Imagine you're driving home and you come to a fork in the road. The left hand fork is a toll road. It costs 50p to go down it. If you take the left hand fork it will take you five minutes to get home.

The right road is free to use, but you know there are lots of traffic lights. Depending on how the lights are, it takes you 7-10 minutes to get home.

You don't have to take the left hand road, but if you do it will save you time. You don't actively have to pay the 50p but in terms of time getting home you're still affected passively.

You find out the council runs both roads. What's more, it can change the traffic lights to hold people for longer.

The council now has a profit motive to keep the traffic lights on red just a little longer. Not so much that it pisses off everyone, but that it makes more attractive for people to spend £50p get home more quickly.

Even though you're not paying cash, you're still affected and it will take you longer to get home.

adversarial

I think maybe we're looking at this in different ways. It seems like you feel you're not affected because you don't actively have to spend money. I'm saying you're affected passively.

Imagine you're driving home and you come to a fork in the road. The left hand fork is a toll road. It costs 50p to go down it. If you take the left hand fork it will take you five minutes to get home.

The right road is free to use, but you know there are lots of traffic lights. Depending on how the lights are, it takes you 7-10 minutes to get home.

You don't have to take the left hand road, but if you do it will save you time. You don't actively have to pay the 50p but in terms of time getting home you're still affected passively.

You find out the council runs both roads. What's more, it can change the traffic lights to hold people for longer.

The council now has a profit motive to keep the traffic lights on red just a little longer. Not so much that it pisses off everyone, but that it makes more attractive for people to spend £50p get home more quickly.

Even though you're not paying cash, you're still affected and it will take you longer to get home.

If the road that took 7-10 minutes was always there, and they added the toll road afterwards, it wouldn't affect you "passively", as they would be used to the commute and wouldn't see it as taking the "wrong" way of the two choices. They would be accustomed to the 7-10 minutes, and the addition of the toll road wouldn't increase the commute from taking the old, tried & true road with stop lights. This is a bit ludicrous.

However, I would agree if there was proof positive that devs / publishers are changing in-game mechanics to make it more enticing for people to say "fuck it" and buy advancement; but to be frank, I wouldn't be surprised for a second if it came out that they did.

Mael

What the fuck is the point of a currency system if it's not geared toward offering a worse experience to people who do not pay?

Including these kinds of loot boxes/boosts is tacit admission that they impact the game. If a Dev/Pub is willing to sell the means to bypass a progression barrier in a game, that means they don't think that barrier is needed. Instead of reducing/removing that barrier, they decide to sell boxes to whales, and inconvenience the rest of us.

But no, you will never see anyone in charge admit that they impact gameplay. So go ahead and cling to that as this gets worse and worse over time.

Belker

If the road that took 7-10 minutes was always there, and they added the toll road afterwards, it wouldn't affect you "passively", as they would be used to the commute and wouldn't see it as taking the "wrong" way of the two choices. They would be accustomed to the 7-10 minutes, and the addition of the toll road wouldn't increase the commute from taking the old, tried & true road with stop lights. This is a bit ludicrous.

However, I would agree if there was proof positive that devs / publishers are changing in-game mechanics to make it more enticing for people to say "fuck it" and buy advancement; but to be frank, I wouldn't be surprised for a second if it came out that they did.

You're quite right and I should have explained myself better.

In my head, both roads would be put in at the same time and the length of the journey on the non-toll road is dictated solely by the traffic lights.

Also, I suggest that this quote from the devs shows that they are affecting gameplay. My italics.

Loot Chests contain Gear (weapons and armor) of varying rarity. Equipping and upgrading these weapons and armor enhance Talion's character abilities. Loot Chests can also contain XP Boosts that help level up Talion faster.

• War Chests provide Orc followers of varying rarity to help forge a strong army. They can also contain Training Orders to level up and customize Orc followers.

• XP Boosts are consumables that help level up Talion faster.

• Bundles package up Loot Chests, War Chests and Boosts together at a great value.

It's true that they state items can be acquired through normal gameplay, but don't give any idea how much normal gameplay is required. (When none is required from a game design point of view.)

Also, this sentence is really sad.

Gold merely allows you to get your hands on them immediately, cutting down some of the additional time that would have been spent winning more battles, tracking nemeses, completing quests and assaulting fortresses

• Tolkien's Quill Lootchest - Give yourself a chance to skip quests to get their rewards immediately. Guaranteed skips of three minor quests and one major quest. (This one isn't real - but it could be.)

Great analogy.

Top Bottom