• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midnight in the Desert with Art Bell |OT| All Things Paranormal... Wanna Take a Ride?

Teknoman

His voice is so much more awesome than anyone else thats hit coast to coast...and he actually gets to the point faster.

Speaking of which, why dont we have a paranormal community thread? There was that creepy/paranormal thread awhile back, but I dunno if that counts.

When he announced his return to radio, on SiriusXM, I was excited.

I signed up just for him, specifically.

Then he returned. It turned out ok, and had a lot of good info.

It was clear there was bad blood between him and ClearChannel with some guests and nasty shit going on. Art Bell seemed just as petty as ClearChannel. The only mature one through the whole thing was George Noory.

It was nice to hear him actually challenging his guests.

He treated callers like fucking garbage. "Roswells" for people who wanted to thank him for coming back? And then dropping it altogether? He can't and shouldn't control that.

Then he threw a fucking hissy fit and left over a bunch of shit he had no control over and shouldn't give a shit about. He was upset about YouTube piracy? Not his concern. Too many truckers? That was ALWAYS his caller base. Shitty bitrate? SiriusXM bumped it up, and it's still vastly better than most people got with AM radios. SiriusXM app timeouts? They fixed it on the PC build and (finally) fixed it on mobile, but again, he was taking complaints about web apps and company support personally.

He became way too much of a diva. Until he becomes more humble, rather than pretending he's some god, I can't really get excited.

I want to like him, I really do. But the way he gave up like a child, it soured my opinion.

Yka

wait what happened? is it still on? i went to art bells website and the thing where he said it was off is gone.

Yes, everything is back on track once again! But let's see what happens next... This could be a bumpy ride.

Until he becomes more humble...

Not going to happen... He is what he is. I like his hosting style but I don't agree with everything he says and does. Art is "vaguely loveable".

His voice is so much more awesome than anyone else thats hit coast to coast...and he actually gets to the point faster.

Speaking of which, why dont we have a paranormal community thread? There was that creepy/paranormal thread awhile back, but I dunno if that counts.

You should make one.

Yka

60 days to go and all looks good! A bump to celebrate that! There is also a new FAQ in the OP.

Art appears to be in good spirits...
We are making real progress with all our technical issues, it's really amazing how close we are getting. This whole project is going to be real fun. A lot of things had to happen to make Midnight in the Desert a reality.

People are funny, they either love or hate something like Mel's hole, but they sure do remember it a decade later. The good ones evoke strong emotions of one kind or another. One thing for sure, you only get that sort of thing in open lines because it would never make it past a producer or for that matter a call screener. Not everything has to make it past the cold reality test, what fun would that be? If that is what you want try PBS.

Art

Yka

Art turns 70 today 6.17.2015. Happy birthday Art!

EDIT #1: 6.20.2015 30 days to go and all looks good! You can subscribe starting today.
You can join the Time Travelers and travel back to listen to Art’s previous shows. You can also travel to the future and send messages through the wormhole into the future directly to Art during the LIVE show. For only $5 a month. Right now you can sign up early and you won’t pay again until 30 days after the start of the show.

EDIT #2: 6.30.2015 Well, this was unexpected... The Other Side of Midnight with Richard C. Hoagland airs Mon-Fri 12AM-2AM PT right after Art's new show.
A new beginning into the exploration of matters of scientific importance and the impact on society and our human existence, the Other Side of Midnight hosted by Richard C. Hoagland takes you on a journey through the minds of exceptional scientific experts, investigators and analysts.

Panel discussions will feature opposing points of view to discuss a wide variety of positions on science, humanity and government projects, while also venturing into comparisons of our own science fiction dreams and the reality of our human existence.

Come explore with us the other side of our world and others on the Other Side of Midnight each weeknight at Midnight Pacific / 3AM Eastern.

logo_tosom_zpsblxgqjvp.jpg
richard_hoagland_2_zpsxrqled2g.jpg

Well, here is the thing, many love Richard and yes some hate him. However both groups will listen to confirm their passion.

Art

Yka

Just a little over two weeks to go and Art and his fans have started a blitz campaign to promote the new show. A good time for a bump...

ArtBell.com | Facebook - Website | Facebook - Art | @ArtBellCom | @ArtBell51
ATTENTION ART BELL FANS! Wanna Take a Ride? Art is returning to broadcasting his famous nightly paranormal talk show, starting July 20th. The new show entitled “Midnight in the Desert” will be LIVE from 9PM-Midnight Pacific, Midnight-3AM Eastern and will be streaming out FREE over the Internet at ArtBell.com bringing you the same great topics, same great music, Monday thru Friday.

You can also listen to Art Bell on your smartphone or tablet using the great TuneIn Radio app. Download the FREE TuneIn Radio app and search for and follow the "Dark Matter Digital Network.” The new home for Art Bell.

If you can’t stay up to listen LIVE for FREE, you can become a Time Traveler and listen the next day or weekend. Go to ArtBell.com, click on the "Join the Time Travelers" link, and subscribe for a low price of only $5 a month to access the past shows.

New show name, New digital station, same great Art Bell! Check out ArtBell.com and join us for the best in overnight talk radio. Please SHARE the good news to all your followers.

New flyer (full-size flyer):

Turns out two stations have already picked him up, KXL in Portland: http://kxl.com/

And CFRB 1010 in Toronto. http://www.newstalk1010.com/

The former actually has a post about it already, but I see nothing about it on Newstalk 1010 website...still, this is pretty massive.

He may just stick around; he's controlling his program but making sure it is accessible. Sounds like the early days of Coast with CBC and all that...Man, I can't wait!

Yka

Art Bell's AMA has started!

EDIT: 7.17.2015 A few Q&As from the AMA...
Does it still bother you that John Lear said don't go to the light?
Yes, EVERYDAY. John said that to me, if you're faced with a choice when you die of going to the light or the dark, don't go to the light. If that doesn't bother you I don't what will.

Most creepiest and unexplained thing you seen?
I had a UFO sighting that would more qualify as a close encounter. On my way home from Las Vegas, late one night my wife at the time, noticed a light coming up from behind our vehicle and said Stop the car. It was quiet enough out here in the desert to hear crickets at a quarter mile. Coming from behind, an extremely large triangular craft, passed directly above us at no more than 150 ft. It continued across the valley, toward Area 51. A week later Pahrump Valley Times, carried an article claiming there was indeed a secret mission over the Pahrump Valley that night, and that it was a c130 aircraft. The craft I saw was completely soundless. And defied gravity. Not even close to a C130.

Will you be taking unscreened calls?
Not only YES but HELL YES. As a matter of fact that's ALL im going to take, UNSCREENED CALLS. So if you're tired of telling the call screener how manly and handsome you will say the host is before you're allowed to be on. Try Midnight in the Desert.

Is it true that some radio stations are picking up your show before it has even begun? How does that feel? Can I get it on my local radio station?
Yes it's true and I think it's history. I am not aware of any radio program that has picked up 20+ stations before the show has even begun. The latest of which is the mighty KXL in Portland, Oregon. Right across the street from the competition. To find out if your local station carries Midnight in the Desert go to ArtBell.com

More here... https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3db2cm/hi_im_art_bell_host_of_midnight_in_the_desert/

Alcibiades

I don't begrudge the $5 subscription fee, but I really think this would work better if there was a 24-7 streaming option, maybe with random repeats.

I'm going to try to catch it live but won't always be able to, and I kind of like having stuff on in the background (TWiT, NoAgenda, etc...).

$60 a year isn't much but I'm not a diehard fan, just someone that listened to Coast to Coast AM for years, sometimes several times a year or sometimes several times a week.

I just canceled my Netflix because I caught myself not really using it much, I figure the same thing would probably happen here.

Thanks for the reminder Yka.

Imay go for the $5/mo membership. I'm not going to be able to listen live and that seems like a reasonable amount of money.

gabbo

So, I don't know anything about his previous work (though GAF has brought up Coast to Coast AM before), what exactly is covered on a "nightly paranormal talk show".
Is this something my father, who has an interest in goofy UFO conspiracies would like?

So, I don't know anything about his previous work (though GAF has brought up Coast to Coast AM before), what exactly is covered on a "nightly paranormal talk show".
Is this something my father, who has an interest in goofy UFO conspiracies would like?
Absolutely. People call in with all kinds of crazy and entertaining shit.

Youtube search for 'art bell' sorted by highest views, to get you or your dad started:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=art+bell&search_sort=video_view_count

Yka

Does it still bother you that John Lear said don't go to the light?
Yes, EVERYDAY. John said that to me, if you're faced with a choice when you die of going to the light or the dark, don't go to the light. If that doesn't bother you I don't what will.

What does that first thing even mean? Is he claiming he had a life after death moment?

Neither of them (Art or John Lear) is claiming such thing.

John just said to Art once that light is a trap whereas it is a pretty common thing to say that you should go to the light when you die. And now there is doubt in Art's mind...

The audio quality is superb by the way. The test show Art did last night, besides the Skype issues due to storms in Nevada (where Art was broadcasting), seemed to be pretty successful.

Paying the $5 is pretty nice for me because I will unfortunately miss most of the weeknight shows. I will probably do the first hour, and full show on Fridays. The rest I will listen to at work.

Top Bottom