• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midori (Leaked extraordinare) - FFIX Remake is Real, FFX Remake is Not

GHound

FFIX? You mean the game that's been rumored to be getting a remake for multiple years? That was listed in the nvidia leak? That FFIX Remake?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
FFIX? You mean the game that's been rumored to be getting a remake for multiple years? That was listed in the nvidia leak? That FFIX Remake?

Yes, the one we haven't actually heard anything about, so it's always nice to get another lead.

FF9 remake should just be 1 game. Don't sting it out, don't add a chadley like character and remaster that song.

Oh, I don't think Square can afford to make another big budget split remake like VII. This is probably going to be much smaller in scope.

Last edited:

squarealex

I'm very scared of the result... I'm gonna riot if it's look like a AA mobile Unity engine.

But Creative Division 3 leave so many clue about FF9 in FF14. (Zindane / Dagger puppet for Dawntrail, somes boss of FF9).

Announcement this year, release for the 25th anniversary of this gem.

Last edited:
More importantly is it turn based?
The combat is the main thing that kills my momentum on the FFVII remakes. Even the most routine battles on the original game are more fun than the entire sum of the stupid realtime combat they put in the new one.

I hate that MMO-like live combat trend with every fiber of my being. Now that Baldur's Gate 3 showed turn based to still be popular and viable, I wish FF franchise would realize it's essential to their original success. FF without turn combat has always felt like a cheap imitation to me, nothing can fix it.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The combat is the main thing that kills my momentum on the FFVII remakes. Even the most routine battles on the original game are more fun than the entire sum of the stupid realtime combat they put in the new one.

I hate that MMO-like live combat trend with every fiber of my being. Now that Baldur's Gate 3 showed turn based to still be popular and viable, I wish FF franchise would realize it's essential to their original success. FF without turn combat has always felt like a cheap imitation to me, nothing can fix it.
I might be down for a FF with Baldur’s Gate 3 style battles, but man, that is about far from the “keep picking attack from a menu until you win” ATB battle system as you can get.

Durin

I'm all for it, FF9 was a nice game I'd go through again, and hope they keep it turn-based with a new system if they want.

FF8 could've used a remake more though, just to fix the garbage that is junctioning.

I might be down for a FF with Baldur’s Gate 3 style battles, but man, that is about far from the “keep picking attack from a menu until you win” ATB battle system as you can get.
Not the same system at all, the point is just that audiences still have an appetite for turn-based combat.

I still prefer ATB over BG3's 5e system, for the Final Fantasy context at least. And I don't think of it as "pick attack until you win"... if anything, that's how all the recent FF games feel, like a total disconnect from the combat where you're just moving around and jamming buttons while waiting for various cooldowns.

For me, the "battle" itself in classic FF is mostly won by how you equip and stack your team, sort of equivalent to a card game where deck building is 90% of it. Then, once in battle, it's just resource and time management to make use of your team. That approach is very fun if the game has enough options (eg. materia, job systems, etc).

But recent FF action combat feels like a meaningless mush, some kind of movie playing out that I'm barely controlling.

Kssio_Aug

Final Fantasy IX was my favorite, but I don't trust the current Square Enix to make a competent full remake without it looking like an amalgamation of fanservice.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
FF7 and 8 were good. FF9 was basically a stopgap until 10 came out.
The Office Thank You GIF

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Going to be interesting to see how Square handles it. But right now, the Moguri Mod turns FF9 into a proper remaster so I'm pretty good with that.

Top Bottom