• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 review thread

Damn, everyone acting like you backed a strain of super aids.

It's a 60 on metacritic. It's average. It's an outcome that all of you should have understood was possible in donating to a kickstarter. That's why investments are risks and not guarantees. Unless I missed the blood oath promise of a 90+ metacritic game if you contribute to a KS that hits it's goal. Bad games are invested in all the time. And I feel incorrect for even calling this a "bad" game, since the metacritic indicates once again, it's average. It's funny to see most of you perpetuate the horribly skewed perception of the 10-point scale; essentially this, where no other numbers exist:

2oYIGGH.png

There's plenty of shit to criticize this game for and understandable disappointment in some aspects, but the hyperbole is out of control. I'm still looking forward to killing a few hours on a Megaman-esque 2D platformer. As a backer, it didn't quite hit my expectations. But I don't see the point of expending so much energy on being a drama queen about the whole affair. It's an average downloadable 2D platformer. That's all.

EFUBDwF.png

So average breh.

Whether we like how the review scale works or not, it is what it is. Saying "6 is average," doesn't change that within the industry a six isn't really average.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Game development is hard, at some point expecting a game turning out good is already too high of an expectation to have.
I feel though and not to take anything away from all the fantastic games that succeeded where this one didn't that expectations for this were pretty reasonable.

Also what hurt this project the most in my humble opinion was the very very bad communication policy. Lots can be forgiven with transparent communication on kickstarter, at least I feel that way. I think most are aware of the risk when they decide to pledge.
But when you're met with radio silence and last minute announcement forced by outside sources already doing them, it's hard not to feel like you're being played.

Big0Bear

Wow I can't believe that people who backed this didn't get their codes. If you ask me they should have gotten them before the journalist ( only because they funded it) sad to hear it's not living up to everyone's expectations

Ibuki

Banned
Same here, and I completed every survey they sent me.

This is going to end exactly as I expected, with backer getting codes weeks after the game is out. Hilarity.

The game isn't even out yet (or just came out in some regions I guess).

Let's wait and see what happens before you assume it will be weeks until we get codes.

Berordn

Let's wait and see what happens before you assume it will be weeks until we get codes.

I don't see why it's not a valid conclusion to draw after the repeated survey debacles, but sure.

It is admittedly me reveling in a bit of schadenfreude, but I've been enjoying this ride since I played the demo, which showed me that I probably wasn't going to enjoy the final product.

Compsiox

Banned
Wow I can't believe that people who backed this didn't get their codes. If you ask me they should have gotten them before the journalist ( only because they funded it) sad to hear it's not living up to everyone's expectations

I don't need the code. I'd also take a refund.

chrono01

Thank you so much for this reply. I now remember that email. I got the box etc. So I guess that's why I've yet to get anything.
You're very welcome.

Yeah, the shipping of the rewards is really confusing. I've backed a few Kickstarter in the past (as well as presently-backed), and I always received/receive constant updates, letting me know the current status of backer-exclusive items and when I should expect them. The silence from Comcept is yet another mishandling of this Kickstarter. To add to this, when the Kickstarter was actually active, they would send us updates over every trivial thing. I guess they really wanted our money, but after they had it, they didn't care to keep us informed. :/

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
This is sad. I'm glad I backed Yooka-Laylee and not this. YL is shaping up to be pretty great from what I seen from it at E3.

Those explosion graphics though...

SeanTSC

Has anyone received their code yet for the game? I'm gonna be peeved if someone buying retail is able to play it before me.

I bet you're going to be peeved. It's really lame that reviewers and "personalities" got codes before backers and I'm sure people will be able to buy it before us as well.

chrono01

I bet you're going to be peeved. It's really lame that reviewers and "personalities" got codes before backers and I'm sure people will be able to buy it before us as well.
Given how things have been going, I'd say that's a certainty.

Backers, expect your codes by the end of the week, if not later. Better hope they're for the console/region you chose!

It's like the game doesn't want to come out, haha. It's already 6/21 10AM JST but still no codes and still on Pre-Purchase on Steam *scratches head*

IGKJHxS.png

Edit: out of curiosity, I added the game in my cart and now it says sales will commence on 6/22.

Sp8swYe.png

Still no backer code as of this moment.

Thank you so much for this reply. I now remember that email. I got the box etc. So I guess that's why I've yet to get anything.

Yeah, I donated at the $60 tier...the one with the printed box and manual, and if I remember correctly, there was an email about a thumb drive or something shaped like a Famicom cart that would contain it. I don't remember, honestly, anymore. I find it absolutely unreal that they couldn't get this campaign back on track, even with the game delays. I mean, I'm still interested in playing the game and when (if?) I ever get my code, I'll certainly dive right into it, but I can safely say it's the first and last game I'll ever contribute to as a kickstarter. It started as an enthusiastic hope for me and has gone super sour, while setting the tone for all kickstarter campaigns in my eyes.

HardRojo

It is living up to expectations. After a while and the delays, no one expected this game to be what Inafune promised it would be at first.

Syder

While I do feel sorry for anyone who backed this and will probably wind up disappointed when they play it I also feel like critically the ship has sailed for this game. People have already decided Mighty No. 9 is total garbage and I think review scores will reflect that, which is a shame.

MilkBeard

Yeah, makes no sense that the backers haven't gotten codes yet.

It's like...good job, you waited all these years and supported us with money. Now, wait until everybody else plays the game first.

Zetta

I bought it for the ps4 and am currently downloading it. I'm looking forward to playing it and it should hold me until Star Ocean 5 comes out.

Backers not getting their codes yet is horrible. If they do not have them by the end of the week, it will be down right disgusting.

I already cancelled my preorder. I can't believe that this game went in the direction of mediocrity. I mean this was supposed to be the game that carried on Mega Man's spirit. How do you mess up this much when your game has a budget of over 4 million when a game like Shantae: Half-Genie Hero got less than 1 million and looks (and probably plays) a 1,000 times better?!

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
How do backers not get the code before anybody else?

This feels like the great Ouya debacle of 2013 all over again.

Make sure reviewers and retailers have there go at the product first and then give the leftovers to the backers...

True Fire

Assassin's Creed Unity and Batman Arkham Asylum have it beat in that regard at least MN9 is playable.

Ass Creed and Batman have both recovered from their failures. Both of them have live action movies on the way, and more video games in their future.

Mighty No. 9 is deader than dead. It probably cemented Megaman's death as well. Red Ash is dead. Inafune's career is dead.

Compsiox

Banned
Ass Creed and Batman have both recovered from their failures. Both of them have live action movies on the way, and more video games in their future.

Mighty No. 9 is deader than dead. It probably cemented Megaman's death as well. Red Ash is dead. Inafune's career is dead.

I very much hope so. He could always go work for those WarZ devs.

Javier

I backed on the $60 digital tier which includes digital versions of the manual, artbook and OST. Has anyone gotten any of that? I heavily keep track of the kickstarters I back but I still wonder if I may have missed it.

If they don't manage to get codes to backers before launch then.. wow. Like, you'e screwed up a lot of things but that is beyond unacceptable. If I backed your product I would be furious if I had to wait for my code while people could pick up a copy at the store and jump right in.

Hexer06

Wow...I was really hoping this game would turn out good :/. Reviews look rough, but I'll probably pick it up on a sale. I feel really bad for backers who haven't gotten their codes :(.

chrono01

It's nice to know that my pledged [amount withheld, due to shame] means something to Comcept. I really appreciate that.

Honestly, it's beginning to feel like Comcept themselves had little faith in their game, so they intentionally held back the backer codes being sent out. They knew that the backers were among the more passionate for the game (having Kickstarted the project, in the first place), and they weren't happy with how it turned out. They knew, if they released them to backers ahead of release, that forums would be flooded with complaints, and it would impact sales for the digital/physical copies upon official launch.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I know I shouldn't be, but I'm beyond pissed. Why the hell are game reviewers getting access to Mighty No. 9 but not the fucking backers?

Really?

I backed on the $60 digital tier which includes digital versions of the manual, artbook and OST. Has anyone gotten any of that? I heavily keep track of the kickstarters I back but I still wonder if I may have missed it.

All I got the t-shirt and that was months ago. I haven't gotten the game, the manual, the art book, the OST... notta.

Digital Items

A Steam key for the Mighty No. 9 beta
A digital copy of Mighty No. 9 -Nope
Digital Mighty No. 9 game manual -Nope
Digital Mighty No. 9 art book/strategy guide -Nope
Digital copy of the Mighty No. 9 original soundtrack -Nope

Physical Items

A physical game box -Nope
Printed game manual -Nope
Mighty No. 9 T-Shirt - Yep

meanspartan

It's probably too small of a project to justify a book, but I would love to read a tell-all on this. What the fuck happened? Seriously. How does someone as talented as Inafune produce such a stinker?

I guess it's not that crazy. Even incredible Film Directors have had duds, why not gaming I suppose.

Teknoman

Yeah, I donated at the $60 tier...the one with the printed box and manual, and if I remember correctly, there was an email about a thumb drive or something shaped like a Famicom cart that would contain it. I don't remember, honestly, anymore. I find it absolutely unreal that they couldn't get this campaign back on track, even with the game delays. I mean, I'm still interested in playing the game and when (if?) I ever get my code, I'll certainly dive right into it, but I can safely say it's the first and last game I'll ever contribute to as a kickstarter. It started as an enthusiastic hope for me and has gone super sour, while setting the tone for all kickstarter campaigns in my eyes.

Did you ever get your box?

Top Bottom