• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miiverse getting a redesign this summer [Now live]

Vena

Got a chance to try it during lunch break. Its a lot smoother and steamlined but I am still sad with the changes to art, and the post limit (even though I barely post anything). I hope they do some further renovation to some of these renovations.

If I remember correctly, a long time ago, post pages (and user profiles) were not accessible if you were not logged into Miiverse, so Google couldn't index them. They changed that. The robots.txt doesn't block /posts/ nor /replies/ (to be fair, seeing how Nintendo blocked everything else, it may be an oversight instead of an intended omission).

Random example of a post / reply page:
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKFIo4lk0w
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/replies/AYQHAAABAACXVHhm2i1M1A

Still, a lot of content isn't indexed by Google so it's not practical.
Yeah, it's making me sign in to view them, which I can't do, because I got banned, remember?

Vaev

Oh wow, first time seeing this thread. I always like Miiverse but thought it was rather light features-wise.

Edit: NM

I thought my previous posts and drawings had been wiped out because when I first clicked on posts I got a message saying 'You have no Miiverse posts yet' but when I exited and tapped it again they were back, that's a relief.

adroit

I thought my previous posts and drawings had been wiped out because when I first clicked on posts I got a message saying 'You have no Miiverse posts yet' but when I exited and tapped it again they were back, that's a relief.
This lack of consistency has been a problem for a long time and I'm very disappointed they didn't fix it with the update. The update is purely cosmetic. It's the same clunky, flimsy engine under the hood.

Your activity feed won't always show the latest posts from the people you follow. When you get a notification about a new comment on a post and click the link, the new comment won't always be there. Usually refreshing the page will make stuff appear. But sometimes it will make stuff disappear.

Pokemaniac

This lack of consistency has been a problem for a long time and I'm very disappointed they didn't fix it with the update. The update is purely cosmetic. It's the same clunky, flimsy engine under the hood.

Your activity feed won't always show the latest posts from the people you follow. When you get a notification about a new comment on a post and click the link, the new comment won't always be there. Usually refreshing the page will make stuff appear. But sometimes it will make stuff disappear.

Comments can be deleted. I'm pretty sure that when that happens, the comment gets hidden entirely from the UI, but the notification doesn't get removed.

adroit

Comments can be deleted. I'm pretty sure that when that happens, the comment gets hidden entirely from the UI, but the notification doesn't get removed.
The comments and posts I was referring to were not deleted. The inconsistent database queries just didn't return them. Refreshing the page one or more times made them appear. And they can disappear again as well.

It's as if they've got a time limit on their queries and the database returns whatever it was able to find by the time the limit expires. Or they've implemented the "Eventually NEVER Consistent" distributed database paradigm. 8D

Pokemaniac

The comments and posts I was referring to were not deleted. The inconsistent database queries just didn't return them. Refreshing the page one or more times made them appear. And they can disappear again as well.

It's as if they've got a time limit on their queries and the database returns whatever it was able to find by the time the limit expires. Or they've implemented the "Eventually NEVER Consistent" distributed database paradigm. 8D

I've always suspeceted that the server app is just impatient and never retries anything.

Mael

About drawings and pictures,
my post from the other thread in case people missed it
Can't draw when posting a screenshot is some bs

Actually you can,
you just have press the home button, get to miiverse and select drawing.
You make your drawing and then attach a picture.

TunaLover

The journal and screenshot album idea is great, is like having your own space in Miiverse without spamming the whole comunity, I often took pictures from my games but they not always were intented to be shared, more like have my owm register. Now comunity should be less cluttered :p

Open disscusion is also a great addition because you can disscuss about other topics related to the game/developer/company/whatever. I think it's more well organizated now.

Pokemaniac

The journal and screenshot album idea is great, is like having your own space in Miiverse without spamming the whole comunity, I often took pictures from my games but they not always were intented to be shared, more like have my owm register. Now comunity should be less cluttered :p

Open disscusion is also a great addition because you can disscuss about other topics related to the game/developer/company/whatever. I think it's more well organizated now.

The discussion stuff is better organized, sure, but the fact that you can't open a new discussion without irreversibly closing your previous one is pretty stupid and has a pretty big impact on the utility of the discussion section.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
About drawings and pictures,
my post from the other thread in case people missed it
Actually you can,
you just have press the home button, get to miiverse and select drawing.
You make your drawing and then attach a picture.
The problem is that some what to post journal entries with drawings. That doesn't seem possible (note I haven't tested it since I've done nothing in a game I feel worth posting about).

RpgN

The discussions being more organised is a big plus. Also being able the filter the type of replies is handy. The journal is a cute idea. It makes me want to post daily or more consistently at least. Miiverse will be used more often thanks to its redesign.

kunonabi

How you do just do normal In-game posts after the redesign? I'm only seeing options for the play journal, drawing, and discussions. It shows a section for in-game posts but I can't figure out how to post my own. I just want to make a quick comment about Yoshi's Wooly World.

Pokemaniac

How you do just do normal In-game posts after the redesign? I'm only seeing options for the play journal, drawing, and discussions. It shows a section for in-game posts but I can't figure out how to post my own. I just want to make a quick comment about Yoshi's Wooly World.

In-game posts are ones that are made from within the game itself, not the Miiverse app. You can't make "normal" posts anymore since the redesign. They have to go in one of the sections.

Top Bottom