• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miiverse improvements detailed (NWR)

I found more images from the conference from inside-games.jp

ZBKGePF.jpg

ds5QN5Z.jpg

4EVs1zN.jpg

MOlUKem.jpg

U1se1Cj.jpg

HO39CiA.jpg

u4znMKH.jpg

FiST51j.jpg

kJQe7YR.jpg

IHhQVUi.jpg

1PQmo9b.jpg

http://www.inside-games.jp/iphone/media.php?id=359913

JoeFu

Banned
Sad the thread that talks about the attendance is more active than the thread with actual content.

I can't wait for sub-communities! The launch from posts thing seems pretty sweet too.

Teknoman

Finally after all this time, Nintendo is coming into its own for online. Glad to see it and look forward to all the new features since the current Miiverse is actually pretty cool to use. Can definitely see why people feel compelled to post every little thought on twitter lol.

...I do it all the time on miiverse.

These are great improvements!

That Data-store stuff sounds the best. Like it will adapt to everything you do and match you up with similar players.

stuminus3

This all sounds fantasic. Being able to jump to a particular level based on a Miiverse post, that sounds really fantastic. It would be nice if there were some fucking games to enjoy this functionality with.

Actually it just occurred to me that maybe the hold up with things like Pikmin 3 and... actual other games... may be because of this Miiverse stuff.

Can we get a legit account system as well please?
Yeah if this is the direction Nintendo are going in, the lack of a proper account system is making less sense by the day.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
they had a big room for this panel... I think like, 10 people showed up. it's pretty sad. no one cares.

Murrah

Banned
I had no real interest in Miiverse for a long time, but after how cool the Runner 2 community was I'm a believer - posting screenshots of your name at the top of leader boards and trading silly trash talk back and forth with people on there was genius. I even made a couple Internet buddies and talked to some Gaijin games folks too. The problem comes in when a community has as much activity as Mario or Nintendoland and it's filled with stupid shit, but doing the MK7 sub community thing should alleviate that too

Miiverse really could be the start of future gaming communities if Nintendo plays it right

Azure J

Seeing all of this (+ the indie initiative, I swear I remember putting that out in a few of the WUSTs as Nintendo's approach with the console) is making me so much more confident in where Wii U is going. :)

I'm also fully expecting profile linked software and purchases the instant MiiVerse drops on the net or 3DS.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
After playing NFS:MU, Autolog is the kind of thing Miiverse should be doing to maximize its potential imo, although I'm not even sure if that could be an OS level thing.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sub-communities is near megaton level for me. Now I just need some friends who own a Wii U, and games to play with them, lol.

Nags

Banned
I'm looking forward to it, but main thing for me is the speed of the OS, switching between apps, etc. It's like navigating the new PSN store but on a system-wide level. Really annoying.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
That's quite an improvement.

I have to admit, even though it seems like Nintendo is lagging in a few areas, most notably release schedule and western support, they've been absolutely committed and diligent about improving Miiverse. It's been constantly evolving since release, thanks to being server and HTML5 based.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Wow! This is great news. I know someone's gonna throw a disparaging remark my way regarding this, but Miiverse has been one of the most compelling features on the Wii. I go on there almost every day (when I am actively using my Wii U), and look over hundreds of posts most likely. It is incredibly fun, and these expansions to the system sound incredible.

Sadly, this all points to the fact that this damn system was not ready to release when it did. These features sound fucking amazing, and would have been great for community building on the console. Unfortunately, they just rushed the launch out, and the console has suffered for it dramatically.

I know they felt like they needed the holiday sales, but where has it gotten them? What would have been the problem with launching this Summer with all the kinks ironed out, a compelling games lineup, and a better price? I would have preferred this to the false start they had.

Buuuuuuuuut, going back to my original point, this sounds fucking awesome, and I am sure I'll be using it all the time.

Pikma

Banned
It's really good that they've committed to constantly work in all these improvements, even more if you consider the potential of it, this could very easy be the tip of the iceberg. I look forward to seeing what other great features they can come up with.

majik13

Wow! This is great news. I know someone's gonna throw a disparaging remark my way regarding this, but Miiverse has been one of the most compelling features on the Wii. I go on there almost every day (when I am actively using my Wii U), and look over hundreds of posts most likely. It is incredibly fun, and these expansions to the system sound incredible.

Sadly, this all points to the fact that this damn system was not ready to release when it did. These features sound fucking amazing, and would have been great for community building on the console. Unfortunately, they just rushed the launch out, and the console has suffered for it dramatically.

I know they felt like they needed the holiday sales, but where has it gotten them? What would have been the problem with launching this Summer with all the kinks ironed out, a compelling games lineup, and a better price? I would have preferred this to the false start they had.

Buuuuuuuuut, going back to my original point, this sounds fucking awesome, and I am sure I'll be using it all the time.

I dont know...Ill play Devil's advocate here. mostly everything gets updates and improvement over time. You cant just hold onto something forever, you can always improve something, but you need to release it at some point. Live and Steam weren't very hot when they first launched.

Also, with it out in the wild, they can get real world feedback, ideas, and test things much quicker. And they can also gauge interest better.

Hypothetically, if they had decided to hold back the launch of U, to make all these new miiverse features, and then what if consumers never really took to miiverse? Then the delayed launch all would have been for naught.

But since the intial version of Miiverse seems to be popular, then they are now more comfortable, putting more money and resources and time into improving it.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I dont know...Ill play Devil's advocate here. mostly everything gets updates and improvement over time. You cant just hold onto something forever, you can always improve something, but you need to release it at some point. Live and Steam weren't very hot when they first launched.

Also, with it out in the wild, they can get real world feedback, ideas, and test things much quicker. And they can also gauge interest better.

Hypothetically, if they had decided to hold back the launch of U, to make all these new miiverse features, and then what if consumers never really took to miiverse? Then the delayed launch all would have been for naught.

But since the intial version of Miiverse seems to be popular, then they are now more comfortable, putting more money and resources and time into improving it.

Yeah, I hear you. Sadly, I think that a lot of this functionality should have been there earlier. I get that it's a lot better for a company to shoot for a minimum viable product off the bat and then watch the adoption rate of the product to see where to take it in the future. For a product like this though, I think getting a more robust slate of features at release would have helped with Miiverse adoption.

Additionally, I'm not just talking about this one facet of the Wii U. I really think across the board it just wasn't ready to come out last year.

EDIT: Also, are people not talking about this more because it's positive Nintendo news or because Gaffers aren't interested in Miiverse? I'm shocked personally. The Nintendo news coming out of GDC has all been really impressive in my opinion.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
MiiVerse is actually a VERY interesting alternative approach to create a online community. It was never a bad concept even before these announced improvements, but its implementation and Wii U's OS implementation (performance and loading times hinder the experience a lot unfortunately)held it back, made it less pleasant to use than it should be IMHO. *Pats Wii U*

Fandangox

I hope so. If they allow you to self-moderate and ignore/report other users that could also be huge (just for the user-made communities though).

Well I was more concerned about Nintendo's own moderation. I'd rather have the user-made communities be left alone by Nintendo. But I can only see it happening if they are set to private/friends only or something like that.

So is this 100% confirmed for the 3DS?

Miiverse is coming to 3ds. But we don't know if all the improvements listed here are.

I wasn't a believer in Miiverse at first, but since using it, I am. I don't really use my Wii U for more than pick up CoD games, but once Miiverse is integrated into games, I could see using it more. Especially if there's a GAF sub-community that can boot straight into a Mario Kart lobby.

Nintendo really needs to go all in on Miiverse as a differentiating factor with Wii U. The controller helps typing and drawing, so it's got that over the competition. I hope Pikmin 3 is very integrated with Miiverse,. If there's snapshots and Piklopedia integration, I could see some very cool stuff going on.

Top Bottom