• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miiverse improvements detailed (NWR)

Xun

Good to know Nintendo is heavily working on improving the OS.

I really hope they can turn the Wii U around, since it has a lot of potential.

It's a relatively decent system (certainly not 2005 hardware as many like to claim), it just needs support.

Darryl

Banned
I have a 360 and a WiiU and I never saw the appeal in archievements. Miiverse on the other hand is simply fantastic and is only getting better and better

I can see two major uses for achievements - encouragement and bragging rights. The encouragement through traditional achievements was done via pop-up messages after you tackled some obstacle. Miiverse can do that too, I got many messages in NSMB:U after I finished something difficult or when I kept failing. It can even expand beyond that by letting you post messages or screenshots and get positive feedback to it. The bragging rights in traditional achievements was done by hording numbers and hoping your friends would see it - that system is present in Miiverse as well (Nintendo Land), and it even tries to encourage your friends to check out your stats. It also has sceenshot sharing, and Miiverse posts (which your friends can see). You beat the game - you can send a message to all of your friends and the chances of them seeing it is way higher than traditional achievements.

It is a vastly superior encouragement system and the bragging rights benefits are just as good, IMO. Nintendo just took a step back and tackled all of the obstacles individually rather than trying to create a generalized system that didn't look at what players actually liked about achievements. I think anyone complaining about this is just stuck in the past or looking for a bullet point to complain about.

M3d10n

4EVs1zN.jpg

About goddamn time, Nintendo. This will greatly help dev who aren't using 3rd party engines with already made online infrastructure.

I hope the same middleware is available for the 3DS as well.

majik13

About goddamn time, Nintendo. This will greatly help dev who aren't using 3rd party engines with already made online infrastructure.

I hope the same middleware is available for the 3DS as well.

is this new? what does it all mean? I am guessing now wii u doesn't really have an in game standardized multiplayer infastructure, and this possibly solves that issue?

I can see two major uses for achievements - encouragement and bragging rights. The encouragement through traditional achievements was done via pop-up messages after you tackled some obstacle. Miiverse can do that too, I got many messages in NSMB:U after I finished something difficult or when I kept failing. It can even expand beyond that by letting you post messages or screenshots and get positive feedback to it. The bragging rights in traditional achievements was done by hording numbers and hoping your friends would see it - that system is present in Miiverse as well (Nintendo Land), and it even tries to encourage your friends to check out your stats. It also has sceenshot sharing, and Miiverse posts (which your friends can see). You beat the game - you can send a message to all of your friends and the chances of them seeing it is way higher than traditional achievements.

It is a vastly superior encouragement system and the bragging rights benefits are just as good, IMO. Nintendo just took a step back and tackled all of the obstacles individually rather than trying to create a generalized system that didn't look at what players actually liked about achievements. I think anyone complaining about this is just stuck in the past or looking for a bullet point to complain about.

Yep, Nintendo nailed it. Instead of having to go into a separate "achievements" page which not everyone does, your scores and thoughts on the game or whatever the developers want to do with it is shared seamlessly in this new way. It's so much better than X-box live to me, because I really like thinking about the people I play with online. I like seeing their Mii in Mario Kart when I first match up with everyone and seeing what part of the world they are from. This whole experience is what I love about Nintendo.

Pikma

Banned
I'll probably end up eating crow since the odds are against me but, I really think (and hope) Nintendo will end up fixing the account system, it's just a matter of when. I mean, fixing everything but that makes no sense at all.

majik13

I said this at launch, but they really need a search function, so that the same questions, answers and comments don't keep spamming the community over and over.
Addionally, people would find their answers much quicker, than waiting for other users to answer their posts, if they even get an answer at all.

But that's only if you expect or trust people to actually use the search funtion.

I said this at launch, but they really need a search function, so that the same questions, answers and comments don't keep spamming the community over and over.
Addionally, people would find their answers much quicker, than waiting for other users to answer their posts, if they even get an answer at all.

But that's only if you expect or trust people to actually use the search funtion.

Hmm...not so sure that'd work well.

Plus you can't search handwritten posts.

Moze

Banned
I have a 360 and a WiiU and I never saw the appeal in archievements. Miiverse on the other hand is simply fantastic and is only getting better and better

im not all that fussed with achievements themselves but what i do like is the fact the system keeps a record of every game you and your friends list have played/completed.

it wouldnt be so bad if the WiiU had a activity log like the 3ds that can be viewed over miiverse, but it doesn't

I feel like having a FAQ sub-community would be even better.

People ask questions, most asked questions with key words are shown first. Then layer a search function on top of that.

It's like how the Mario U now has a section that only the comments from the game get posted there.

Launch buttons on Miiverse posts can contain program arguments, so it will be possible to boot directly to a certain level or menu in a game
Now that's interesting and unexpected. I wonder what kind of game that would be useful for?
User Sub-Communities (like Mario Kart 7's) are coming to Miiverse
This is what I'm looking forward to. A lot of gaffers are playing NFS at the moment. Having a GAF NFS Miiverse community would be very convenient for adding friends to compete against.

Zero148

im not all that fussed with achievements themselves but what i do like is the fact the system keeps a record of every game you and your friends list have played/completed.

it wouldnt be so bad if the WiiU had a activity log like the 3ds that can be viewed over miiverse, but it doesn't
Having the activity log viewable for friends in miiverse would indeed be a nice Feature.

Weird sentence. The Wii U has it's own activity log. No need to say 'like the 3DS'.

I think I get what he might be trying to say...

It's not as in depth as the 3DS activity log, its missing things like the software library book, gameplay charts, average play session, week/month/year aggregation etc.

I'd like to see those things added, AND the ability to compare with online friends -- not just people on my machine.

Rootbeer

Banned

Achievements encourage me to dump 200 hours into some game so yeah I'd rather not do that all the time :p However i do wish miiverse had a way of cataloging BIG accomplishments such as breaking a huge score, finishing a game, etc., and letting people refer to them later in an easy way. So almost a pseudo-achievement system just without the crappy trophy count and/or percent bar that makes my epeen look so small -__-

I mean I spent over 100 hours in Ni No Kuni and only have '40% completion' it's kinda embarassing :p and I feel like i've done 95% of the stuff in that game. yeah, I don't feel like that's the best system for guaging things.

Achievements encourage me to dump 200 hours into some game so yeah I'd rather not do that all the time :p However i do wish miiverse had a way of cataloging BIG accomplishments such as breaking a huge score, finishing a game, etc., and letting people refer to them later in an easy way. So almost a pseudo-achievement system just without the crappy trophy count and/or percent bar that makes my epeen look so small -__-

I mean I spent over 100 hours in Ni No Kuni and only have '40% completion' it's kinda embarassing :p and I feel like i've done 95% of the stuff in that game. yeah, I don't feel like that's the best system for guaging things.

You kind of described the the feature in NSMBU like when you clear a stage in under 30 seconds and it asks you to comment on Miiverse. They could couple that with Miiverse tags, so people can easily find all the people who've achieved such a feat.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Is this really a photo of the panel?

9tmS9of.jpg

Looks very... sad.

Edit: I hope it was a pre-event shot, before the rest of the devs showed up.

Hmmm... so I wonder how sophisticated the boot from arguments capability will be. I guess a cool thing would be the ability to instantly share player created maps via Miiverse?

miiverse.execute(GAME_NAME, 'CustomMapSection', 11Q9t84690AAA8031279X);

Or else I guess instead of the jumbly ID a string with the actual map name could be provided if the strings could be guaranteed to be unique?

And assuming the jumbly ID is used I don't think the miiverse will make you put it in yourself, hopefully it will know well enough to automatically populate that field for you.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
This all sounds great.

Though judging by the attendees, I think developers don't give 2 shits about Nintendo anymore. Who am I kidding they haven't given a fuck since the SNES lol.

Top Bottom