• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miiverse, Wii U Chat and Tvii to shut down on November 8

Ridley327

Lame way of shutting it down especially considering 2DS and 3DS are still being sold. This also confirms it isn't coming to switch which is unfortunate.

A private server with a selection of archived posts could be cool but I suspect no one cares enough to work on it and capture all that data. Should definitely be possible considering how broken open the Wii U is to home brew now though.

Glad to see above mario maker will still work. Maybe I should try and complete WW HD before November.

There's nothing about the Miiverse functionality in WWHD that's required. It just made it easier to get photos if you managed to miss one of the missables or didn't want to fork over any rupees to Lenzo for the legendary photos.

BLADE report being discontinued in Xenoblade X does suck hard, since that was the only communication tool you had in-game. Everything else should continue to work fine in that game, including the online missions and being able to offer up treasure, but it's definitely a big blow to that game.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This is where Nintendo's refusal to manage online services hurts their best ideas. Miiverse was a vividly Iwata-like idea, and seeing it go away is very sad.

rudger

Goodbye empathy network! We barely understood the need for you...and then Trump won. Sounds unrelated, but go watch Iwata's introduction about Miiverse. He clearly saw the issues with social networks as they currently existed and wanted to make something counter to them. I don't think they succeeded, but honestly a lot of its flaws could've been helped with a system that could more seamlessly integrate and quickly allow posts and screenshots. As it is, it's far faaar too slow to let people easily communicate so much so that it prevented me from using it the handful of times I wanted to. I liked it, but it was a chore.

Regiruler

Why then? It doesn't make any bloody sense, Ultra Sun and Moon is out two weeks later, that was sure to be a boon of activity.

Is it because they were too lazy to moderate that game?

mhayes86

What? I thought TVii was killed off a while ago.

I used Miiverse a few times, but the novelty wore off pretty quickly outside of the few memes that circulated. The Windwaker bottles were fun, so those will be missed if removing Miiverse also gets rid of that.

yyr

Playing Super Mario 3D World, NES Remix, and others won't quite be the same after this. I really enjoyed seeing the course-specific and challenge-specific posts.

Ninja Dom

Why then? It doesn't make any bloody sense, Ultra Sun and Moon is out two weeks later, that was sure to be a boon of activity.

Is it because they were too lazy to moderate that game?

I'm guessing that it's all cost related. And the amount of money spent on it considering the older platforms that run it.

burgerdog

134.jpg

Rot in hell, Miiverse.

Hahahaha my sides. :lol

Nintendo can't keep some message boards going. I guess don't count on any unique Switch feature to stick around the second they're done with that platform.

DylanEno

Miiverse is so delightfully weird, I'll be sad to see it go. I was hoping I'd be able to return to it like an old forum for the early 2000s, but I guess that was never going to happen.

Junahu

Miiverse activity doesn't push Nintendo's interests since it's a walled garden of fans talking to fans.

They want everyone to be posting Nintendo stuff and Nintendo screenshots onto Social Media.
It's really sad how Nintendo want to sell an online Subscription, but keep removing all the cool things that they used to do for free

khaaan

Miiverse was one of the best applications on the Wii U, this is such a shame but I felt like it already dropped in quality when they reworked the way posts happened. It should be on Switch though.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
This is sad, Miiverse was great. I had a lot of fun posting screenshots from my 3DS with silly captions on them. This is a big step backwards, Twitter and Facebook aren't the same. It was a happy place, where everybody had a good time playing and talking about Nintendo games.

Remember, remember the eight of November :'(

It wasn't perfect but I'm sad to see Miiverse go nonetheless. The drawing aspects were the best part and it had its (comedic) moments. Games also made great implementation of it too.

With that said though, the biggest gut punch for me is losing the ability to upload videos to YouTube. That's a huge part of why I play Smash 4 online, I don't have a capture device to do that. :(

Wow, and I was actually going to ask about if Miiverse would come to Switch, but I guess I now have my answer.

This is fucking lame. Miiverse was great; it's one of the best things Nintendo's done in years. Well, I guess I better finish up some games that depend on Miiverse.

And wasn't Reggie talking about how the 3DS/2DS was going to still be supported for years? lol yeah right

Regiruler

People saying good don't understand how versatile miiverse's backend was. It was able to have so much different uses when combined with hidden metadata features (IIRC Nano Assault Neo actually used it for its scoreboard implementation, with not a post in sight).
Miitomo actually has ways of generating revenue.
Miiverse uses ads, at least on pc.

I don't know their economics though.

-shadow-

And wasn't Reggie talking about how the 3DS/2DS was going to still be supported for years? lol yeah right
Yeah it's a bit weird they're killing it for the 3DS also. I completely understand from the WiiU side of things. The 3DS won't even have had it four years by the time they're killing it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm guessing that it's all cost related. And the amount of money spent on it considering the older platforms that run it.

We are really talking about a miniscule cost for a quite unique selling point of their online experience... MiiVerse + stickers instead of trophies worked wonders for me (even though the Wii U integration of anything was slow and decidedly the opposite of the word frictionless... despite that I will miss MiiVerse as it was that good of an idea IMHO).

Nintendo wants everyone to forget about Wii and especially Wii U, they want to erase the fact Wii U came out and tanked from people's memories so they are throwing out the baby with the bathwater...

BooJoh

Miiverse is basically one big advertisement for games on Nintendo platforms.

Eh... not much of an advertisement when you can only create an account if you already own one of their systems. They'd rather have people spamming their twitter and Facebook feeds with their gaming-related posts for free advertisement to non-costumers.

Unfortunately, when we comply with this idea, we become an annoyance to our followers who don't care. And I don't know about you, but as someone who loathed all the Farmville spam I used to see on Facebook, I don't want to contribute to that sort of invasive advertising.

In fact, I'm considering making a second twitter or Facebook account specifically to link with my Switch as a sort of replacement to my Miiverse feed, so that if anyone actually wants to see my screenshots and random gaming talk, they can opt in instead of being inundated with gaming posts mixed in with my other posts.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Miiverse is basically one big advertisement for games on Nintendo platforms.

It really isn't as the only way one can view Miiverse post is to own a Nintendo console and post remain within Nintendo walled garden thus they aren't targeting folks who don't own the consoles or even touch a Nintendo game.

hutna

I hope someone complies a list of affected games in the coming days so I can get to my backlog of WiiU games that need/are majorly enhanced by MiiVerse.

I know I have Xenoblade and WWHD to finish. Hope there aren't too many more...

jholmes

I hope someone complies a list of affected games in the coming days so I can get to my backlog of WiiU games that need/are majorly enhanced by MiiVerse.

I know I have Xenoblade and WWHD to finish. Hope there aren't too many more...

I was thinking the same thing. It's not a must in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but you can basically set up your own quasi-commentary to share with friends over Miiverse and it'll be a shame if more people don't take advantage of that, it's a great game and a really cool feature.

I believe NFS Most Wanted also uses Miiverse for its leaderboard system, which is really very cool, but I'm not positive about that one. Mario Kart 8 time trials, the Shovel Knight Digger's Diary... this is just a real fucking shitty thing to do Nintendo, don't think people aren't pissed that games aren't going to work properly a couple years after their release.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
Shit, wasn't expecting expecting this to happen for a couple more years. I still need to play Xenoblade and WWHD. Splatoon 1's plaza is gonna feel lonely now.

Giga Man

I'm really gonna miss Miiverse. It spawned a lot of stupidly funny shit. However...

BA25K3A_d.jpg

Rip miiverse

It's time to pop the bubble.

The least Nintendo can do is retain some function of it for the Miiverse stage in Smash Bros. Use Twitter posts like Splatoon 2 or something. I want it to return for the Switch version.

Top Bottom