• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miiverse, Wii U Chat and Tvii to shut down on November 8

The NOA post is not everything either* but no more youtube uploads of MK8 or SSB replays is kind of terrible.

*-For example NES remix is going to be pretty souless and I imagine the stage replays from remix 2 are going to be broken.

Wonder how practical a Miiverse private server would be. Even a read-only one to preserve interesting Mario stage comments and whatever other features. Then there is the matter of will Nintendo be updating the firmware to add a different method for 3DS users to take screenshots (they can already share their home screens via twitter for too much information on their twitter account handed over to Nintendo).

I partly understand why Nintendo won't bring StreetPass to the Switch, as it's not a purely portable console you can throw in your pocket.
Streetpass is likely the root cause of the standby life of the 3DS being absolutely terrible. The system never fully sleeps because of it (likely even if you have wireless off...though the step count would still be working then) and features wise it is dependent on living in urban Japan or Nintendo Zone relays (which I think are being phased out) to get any meaningful mileage outside of the rare anime con.

Make sure to finish Affordable Space Adventures before that date.
As someone who currently has their Wii U offline I'm guessing I get no benefit here.

Oh wow. They even have the specific question "Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars will be losing major features. Will you continue selling the game?".
The Japanese page is even more shameless about the fact:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/information/2017/0829_miniland.html said:
今後とも『マリオvs.ドンキーコング みんなでミニランド』をよろしくお願いいたします。
We hope for your continued financial support for this game because we sure as fuck don't give a shit.

Miiverse was the only benign social media platform ever to have existed. It was so NICE. My 4 year old would post pictures of nothing but scribbles, and he would get 'likes'. RIP in peace, brave Miiverse.

Malio

People mourning the death of Miiverse. Just insanity.

The most under-cooked, wrongly utilized and simplisticly juvenile online feature I've ever witnessed. It gave us funny pictures and memes though?? Good riddance.

jholmes

Sucks to lose all of the game integration. Wish the main menu on the Wii U would display a selection of good posts (like a "best of") rather than just the default offline messages.

Seems lazy of them not to update the 3DS and Wii U to remove the Miiverse button on the home screen.

Nintendo changed the icons when it pulled TVii so there's no reason to think they won't pull the Miiverse button. Of course, lots of games have their own button and references to Miiverse. Real brain dead move on Nintendo's part to do this.

This is a sad news. Why also on 3ds? What will replace miiverse?

Why would they close Miiverse on Wii U only? What sense does that make?

BiggNife

But what will ever happen to creepers like Gonzothegreat and his good good friend Marq who definitely isn't just gonzo

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1068122&page=1

(seriously if you're in the mood for a crazy story, that thread fuckin... goes places)

In all seriousness I always thought that Miiverse was a great idea that Nintendo sadly never really implemented well except for a couple games like Splatoon and that Game and Wario pictionary thing. It's a shame that it never really lived up to its potential. At least it kind of lives on in Splatoon 2's Inkopolis.

jholmes

But what will ever happen to creepers like Gonzothegreat and his good good friend Marq who definitely isn't just gonzo

(seriously if you're in the mood for a crazy story, that thread fuckin... goes places)

In all seriousness I always thought that Miiverse was a great idea that Nintendo sadly never really implemented well except for a couple games like Splatoon and that Game and Wario pictionary thing. It's a shame that it never really lived up to its potential. At least it kind of lives on in Splatoon 2's Inkopolis.

It's too bad Gonzo got permaed, we'll never find out if that girl ever stopped thanking DarkYoshi and started thanking him instead.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yes. I don't know how people are now, but when the game launched, people were sharing rare photos constantly. I shared a Ganondorf picture and got a bunch of thanks because you can't take a picture of him and get it in the first playthrough if you don't know that you can save and exit to get the figure.

You can buy a photograph of Ganondorf from Lenzo.

The photograph one should really share is of the Red Wizzrobe, since you only see it once in the whole game and since it's quite a hectic battle, I'm sure many forget to photograph it.

maxcriden

Yes. I don't know how people are now, but when the game launched, people were sharing rare photos constantly. I shared a Ganondorf picture and got a bunch of thanks because you can't take a picture of him and get it in the first playthrough if you don't know that you can save and exit to get the figure.

Mostly everyone put rare pictures into their bottles

Ohh, I see. That really blows then. Would've liked to make use of that feature but I doubt I'll play through it before Miiverse shuts down. Will just have to be extra informed and careful about the missables, then. Thank you both for the info!

Seems like the saddest immediately visible result will be barren map areas, especially the Nintendo Land plaza...so much of the enjoyment of walking around the plaza was meeting all the Miis... It's really going to be empty now...?

You can buy the photo from Lenzo after the second Forsaken Fortress trip. On your first playthrough, too.

You can buy a photograph of Ganondorf from Lenzo.

The photograph one should really share is of the Red Wizzrobe, since you only see it once in the whole game and since it's quite a hectic battle, I'm sure many forget to photograph it.

Thank you both for these helpful tips. I'll keep them in mind when playing.

openrob

Miiverse = love.

It was a really cool idea that had so much potential. My guess is that having to moderate it so heavily was an ongoing cost they didn't want.

Instead they forego online interactions entirely.

This remains my favorite thread backfire ever. So goddamn bizarre.

Just thinking about this a little more. So when you boot up your Wii and all the little Miis are running around saying what they played, and the drawings in speech bubbles.. it's all going to be gone? Man, that is going to be bleak.

Yeah, this sucks. Only Miiverse took off, but all of those features were actually really cool and helped differentiate the Wii U from its competition.

I'm almost glad the Switch is a slick, soulless, games-only machine because now Nintendo doesn't have the opportunity to disappoint me by underdeveloping and subsequently early-killing otherwise brilliant features that make the console come to life and support community growth.

I'm honestly so tired of Nintendo doing this. The Wii U was a Swiss army knife of a console but it never got the love it deserved from Nintendo, and so it died an early death, just like the Wii and all of its cool features that didn't make it to Wii U. I'm preparing for all of the cool parts of the 3DS to die forever in another year and a half or so, and for the virtual console on Swith to suffer despite doing such a good job with emulation on the retro consoles, because Nintendo never learns.

Sigh. Just take my money and give me Mario you bastards.

maxcriden

Just thinking about this a little more. So when you boot up your Wii and all the little Miis are running around saying what they played, and the drawings in speech bubbles.. it's all going to be gone? Man, that is going to be bleak.

Oh, jeez, I didn't even think of that. I was just thinking of Nintendo Land and it's similarly empty plaza since you experience that one more up close. Wara Wara Plaza, the part you're talking about, is going to be totally empty...that is really depressing. I loved the noise of all the Miis rushing to join their communities....

sUBNeog.jpg

Jesus fucking Christ.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

It'll be replaced by the default plaza that consists of preset Miis talking about the Wii U's built in features like Parental Controls.

You can view this now if you simply turn your WIi U's internet connection off.

Someone saving all the developer posts and drawings?

The biggest loss is Mario vs DK from what I see. But you could only download the last 20 Nintendo-made online levels (out of 100), so 80% of them were lost already if you got the game late. After it's shutdown you can only access 88/188 levels in the game, the rest are lost forever.

Oh thank God, what about stars? Weren't they just the equivalent of giving a yeah?

If I remember right, stars and yeahs were different things. Yeahs unlock stamps, and stars unlock more parts/characters to build levels with. Either that, or playing more levels unlocked stamps. Either way, it would be a major mind-numbing grind to unlock everything, considering that outside of the official Nintendo levels, 90% of the rest are trash.

I haven't played the game before but I was asking about this in another thread recently. You had no control over what you received in Tingle Bottles, right? So, how much easier was it to acquire figurines? Wouldn't you have had to cross your fingers and hope to get that rare pic?
Dunno about others, but I enjoyed just taking silly pictures and sharing them. One of my most favorites I took was an extreme up close of Beedle's eyes and the text said something along the lines of "Look deep into my eyes and all will be revealed." Needless to say but the guy who picked up that bottle was disturbed!

MrKeinov

It boggles my mind that only official way to take screenshots on these consoles is through Miiverse. It was a pain in the ass procedure but I used it quite often, sad that it will be gone. I think online service will shut down in 2019 too, that might seem close but Nintendo shut down NWFC for DS&Wii only 1.5 years after the release of Pokemon W2&B2, a massively successful and online capable game.

Mr-Joker

Banned
It boggles my mind that only official way to take screenshots on these consoles is through Miiverse. It was a pain in the ass procedure but I used it quite often, sad that it will be gone. I think online service will shut down in 2019 too, that might seem close but Nintendo shut down NWFC for DS&Wii only 1.5 years after the release of Pokemon W2&B2, a massively successful and online capable game.

That was only because Gamespy shut down, so Nintendo didn't really have much of an option there.

On-line on the 3DS and Wii U done via Nintendo themselves.

maxcriden

It'll be replaced by the default plaza that consists of preset Miis talking about the Wii U's built in features like Parental Controls.

You can view this now if you simply turn your WIi U's internet connection off.

Thanks. That's not as bad, but is still kind of sad. How about Nintendo Land?

-shadow-

On the WiiU you can upload screenshots through the browser to a website. So that'll still work without a problem. The 3DS however is going to be impossible unless they add it in the OS, which I highly doubt they'll do.

Thanks. That's not as bad, but is still kind of sad. How about Nintendo Land?
It'll be the most empty theme park ever...

FyreWulff

I know part of the reason is moderation cost, I wish they would just make it so Miiverse still works but all new posts get converted to something generic so the underlying functionality works and they don't have to moderate it anymore.

i really like miiverse. Hearing that it will be discontinued... so fast too...
Really sucks to hear.

Really miss not having anything similar on Switch.

JPLC

Neo Member
Miiverse, while far from perfect, seemed to have potential. Being able to share Pictographs in Wind Waker HD on Wii U was a nifty feature, especially for people trying to fill out their Nintendo Galleries; players could help each other out. I feel like Nintendo is squandering an opportunity here by shutting it down instead of taking time to polish it. Unfortunate =(

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm gonna miss all those "hot bara dad" posts when I play as Bowser in Miiverse stage in Smash.

MrKeinov

That was only because Gamespy shut down, so Nintendo didn't really have much of an option there.

On-line on the 3DS and Wii U done via Nintendo themselves.

Oh I didn't know that. But I would't be surprised because this is Nintendo and they will start to charge for online next year. After Switch builds up a user base and have its own Smash, Animal Crossing, Pokemon there will be less reason to keep the servers alive.

W. L. Saga

Neo Member
On the WiiU you can upload screenshots through the browser to a website. So that'll still work without a problem.

Is it possible to just download Wii U screenshots to a PC via that site? I don't want to post them in Facebook and/or Twitter, I just want to download them.

Lame way of shutting it down especially considering 2DS and 3DS are still being sold. This also confirms it isn't coming to switch which is unfortunate.

A private server with a selection of archived posts could be cool but I suspect no one cares enough to work on it and capture all that data. Should definitely be possible considering how broken open the Wii U is to home brew now though.

Glad to see above mario maker will still work. Maybe I should try and complete WW HD before November.

I know part of the reason is moderation cost, I wish they would just make it so Miiverse still works but all new posts get converted to something generic so the underlying functionality works and they don't have to moderate it anymore.

I think this would be very much technically possible, but, neglecting conversion costs, Nintendo is not happy enough with third party moderation to allow such posts to affect the game back.

Not that I would. The plain squick present pretty much on every major platform is really not PEGI 7.

I highly recommend everyone to read through Please Sakurai if they haven't already.

Miiverse was probably the reason Smash 4 was my favorite waiting period for Smash: just dumb kids being dumb kids.

Top Bottom