• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miiverse, Wii U Chat and Tvii to shut down on November 8

NimbusD

Pretty sure tvii has been dead for years. But no one realizes because no one used it.

Once I got an antennae I did and I actually really liked it except the social features were dead by that point (if they ever weren't).

TheOasis

TVii for people in europe though...

giphy.gif

HotHamBoy

I think it's pretty safe to say that it was the drawing app and the game integration that made Miiverse awesome and the regular forum aspects were trash.

Here are some of the posts I made:

zlCfzSCLK6MciiwC-S

zlCfzSC66aw38ELJhJ

zlCfzSCNKHMQDBdo8c

zlCfzSCMLDY-qaTTa-

zlCfzRz_HcgtGWsRov

zlCfzRQXBlszPdzwLE

zlCfzRQW6zsU9gfiD7

zlCfzROjrVsV2QByzW

zlCfzROf93UaCWhRpT

zlCfzSEcSycRKxxhWB

Madao

good riddance.

the thing was a novelty but it's not something i'm gonna miss. i've barely used it in the last few years.

MrBS

There it is.

A shame its going but I haven't used the service seriously in years. It was cool for a while.

Atheerios

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars (Wii U, Nintendo 3DS): While users will still be able to play Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars and complete all 88 levels in the main game, the Community feature will be discontinued, preventing players from sharing levels and receiving additional Stars. As there will be a limit to the number of Stars that can be obtained, not all objects may be unlocked from the Workshop.

Oh wow. They even have the specific question "Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars will be losing major features. Will you continue selling the game?".

CTLance

Damn. I'll miss that weird thing. It wasn't perfect, not by a long shot, but it was quirky and enjoyable. RIP.

Crying shame they're killing it while the 3DS is arguably still somewhat alive. And that they aren't porting it to switch, I guess.

Onaco

I need Miiverse preserved. The amount of utter Shit was priceless.

Edit: OH FUCK the photograph Quest in Wind Waker HD!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!

DarkTom

Oh no... That is way too soon.

I have not finished breath of the wild yet. And the DLC won't be out.
I like sharing tidbits of my adventure...

CTLance

I gotta say though, regardless of whether I approve of this move, the fact that they only give such short notice is pretty annoying.

I gotta say though, regardless of whether I approve of this move, the fact that they only give such short notice is pretty annoying.

Could be worse. They gave members of the old Luminoth Temple community one week's notice.

And then closed it down on day 6. That was fun.

I don't even think the NSider community got a warning. They just closed it.

BooJoh

The main thing I'll be losing from this is the ability to use Miiverse to capture screenshots of virtually any 3DS game.

Oh wow. They even have the specific question "Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars will be losing major features. Will you continue selling the game?".

This is BS. If you're going to leave your game up patch it so people can unlock everything.

Bear in mind this game is also on 3DS which Nintendo claims they are still supporting.

It's also telling that they say right there that the Miiverse icon will still be on the Home menu but will error out. Again, shows just how much they care to support 3DS going forward.

It doesn't explain how the Affordable Space Adventures ending will work. I have yet to finish it, but I heard what happens and it's reliant on Miiverse.

If they don't care that it's breaking their own games, why would they care if it breaks third party games?

Pila

I loved Miiverse too, but it makes far more sense for Nintendo to encourage their fans to share their screenshots and Splatoon messages on social media where people without a Switch will see them too than to limit their exposure to only people who already own one.

Yeah I guess it's the right move from their point of view.

Too bad, Miiverse was cool, some art is incredible. I actually used the videochat couple times as well.

It lasted too little and we got a pretty short closure notice Nintendo, not cool.

Nintendo can't wait to bury the WiiU. Shame about Miiverse though. The only good idea they had for the entire WiiU era. Listening to the Dev talks, they had huge plans for it as well, but the low sales meant that it was probably shot down almost immediately.

cyba89

You will be able to download your Miiverse posts.

Can users still view their old Miiverse posts once the service is shut down?
- Users can download their old Miiverse posts (without comments or messages from others) by visiting http://miiverse.nintendo.net and registering before the Miiverse service ends on Nov. 7, 2017 at 10 p.m. PT. Once registered, users will receive an e-mail via Nintendo Account mail a few weeks after the Miiverse service ends, which will include a unique URL to download their past Miiverse posts.

I wanted to jokingly speculate that this confirms 5.5.3 with Miiverse button removed, but with FAQ insisting on button remaining there I guess they don't even care to do that now.

Oh well. The tipping star thing sounds like a good reason for hacking, just like WFC on-cart DLC saves are on DS.

Shiggy

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars (Wii U, Nintendo 3DS): While users will still be able to play Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars and complete all 88 levels in the main game, the Community feature will be discontinued, preventing players from sharing levels and receiving additional Stars. As there will be a limit to the number of Stars that can be obtained, not all objects may be unlocked from the Workshop.

That's complete bullshit imo.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Once the album feature was introduced, I found myself using that more, so in a sense, the screenshot feature on Switch is a suitable replacement for me going forward. Well, hopefully the browser method still works for Wii U. Doesn't help with 3DS though…

However, there was a charm to seeing all these weird and wonderfully doodles from others when you played your games even if one didn't doodle much themselves (did in the beginning, but opening the Miiverse app was a bit slow).

Better give priority to Affordable Space Adventures then since I've heard it's a must play for Miiverse functionality.

The fact the Wara Wara Plaza will revert back to its default layout is depressing. Also slightly funny, since it'll have Miis talking about using two functions that don't even work.

Honestly, with this news, it does feel like Wii U is losing its identity.

MarkusRJR

Sucks to lose all of the game integration. Wish the main menu on the Wii U would display a selection of good posts (like a "best of") rather than just the default offline messages.

Seems lazy of them not to update the 3DS and Wii U to remove the Miiverse button on the home screen.

Pila

Once the album feature was introduced, I found myself using that more, so in a sense, the screenshot feature on Switch is a suitable replacement for me going forward. Well, hopefully the browser method still works for Wii U. Doesn't help with 3DS though…

However, there was a charm to seeing all these weird and wonderfully doodles from others when you played your games even if one didn't doodle much themselves (did in the beginning, but opening the Miiverse app was a bit slow).

Better give priority to Affordable Space Adventures then since I've heard it's a must play for Miiverse functionality.

The fact the Wara Wara Plaza will revert back to its default layout is depressing. Also slightly funny, since it'll have Miis talking about using two functions that don't even work.

Honestly, with this news, it does feel like Wii U is losing its identity.

Nooooo, I forgot about the plaza. :(

I bought BOTW on the Wii U so I'll be there when the next DLC arrives. Gonna be weird, Nintendo can't wait to kill the thing man. I guess online playing won't last long given the look of things.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That's complete bullshit imo.

Honestly, anything that's tied to a feature that could potentially disappear really shouldn't be a thing in this day and age. You'd think they'd have learnt from the past with the closure of WFC closing off unlockables in Wii and DS games.

Garou

Honestly, anything that's tied to a feature that could potentially disappear really shouldn't be a thing in this day and age. You'd think they'd have learnt from the past with the closure of WFC closing off unlockables in Wii and DS games.

Not any less bullshit than EA or 2K shutting down their onlineplay 1.5 years after release.

Top Bottom