• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Capps - Epic's GDC 2012 Unreal Engine demos shall have you gasping

Eat a fucking dick Mike Eps and your whole Epic studios team.

I don't care how good your demo looks your still a bunch of sellouts.

You still stopped making good competitive games.
Stop with the instant gratification.
Maybe if those good, competitive games sold more
and didn't suck ass like UT3
, they would make more of them. More salt though, please.

sp3000

Maybe if those good, competitive games sold more
and didn't suck ass like UT3
, they would make more of them. More salt though, please.

UT3 was better than any of the Gears of War sequels. If it had been released a year later it would have probably been a hit.

Good point. But devs will be more eager to jump on the UE4 bandwagon and pay for the license if the results they can get actually show considerable progress compared to UE3 projects.

I think the way they described UE4 gives programming advantages over what could be done with UE3.

Looks like I need to pick these as my duties as a CA at Gdc so I can watch em live :)

If you do make sure you get lots of shaky phone video for us. :p

Krilekk

Banned
UT3 was better than any of the Gears of War sequels. If it had been released a year later it would have probably been a hit.

No way. Its gameplay is a relict of the past, that's why CoD is so successful. Changed the formula and it worked.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
IIRC they no longer have keynotes, and that one was the last one.
While no major keynote will take place, several track keynotes are scheduled:

Audio Track: "Build That Wall: Creating the Audio for Bastion," Darren Korb, Audio Director, Supergiant Games

Business, Marketing & Management Track: "Why 'Free' and Cross-Platform Is The Future of Gaming," John Schappert, Chief Operating Officer, Zynga

Game Design Track: "How I Got My Mom to Play Through Plants Vs. Zombies," George Fan, Senior Game Designer, PopCap

Production Track: "Concrete Practices to be a Better Leader: Framing & Intention," Brian Sharp, Lead Engineer, Bungie

Programming Track: "Designing a Technology Strategy for a Large Publisher," Julian Merceron, Worldwide Technology Director, Square Enix

Visual Arts Track: "The Art of Diablo 3," Christian Lichtner, Art Director, Blizzard Entertainment

Source: http://www.gdconf.com/news/gdc_2012_adds_track_keynotes_f.html

Epic Games hosts seven sessions:

Production Culture: How Two and a Half Artists Completed the FX for Gears of War 3
Wednesday 11:00AM
Francois Antoine (Epic Games, Inc.)

Gears of War 3: Building a Better Pipeline (Presented by Autodesk)
Wednesday 3:30PM
Jeremy Ernst (Epic Games)

Bringing AAA Graphics to Mobile Platforms
Thursday 10:00AM
Niklas Smedberg (Epic Games)

Tackling Large Scale Destruction FX: Lessons Learned From Raam's Shadow DLC
Thursday 12:05PM
Francois Antoine (Epic Games, Inc.)

Evolution of the Cinematic Process: The Gears of War Trilogy
Thursday 5:30PM
Greg Mitchell (Epic Games)

Re-orienting Development and Accelerating Production to Create Infinity Blade and Infinity B...
Thursday 5:30PM
Simon Hurley (Epic Games, Inc.)

Gameplay Data Analysis: Asking the Right Questions
Friday 10:00AM
Ian Thomas (Epic Games)

Out of these, I'd say the last listed is the one most likely for this Unreal Engine demo to appear on. However, that's on closing day and not probably the premiere venue for this, so could it be that Epic Games will throw a press conference first day to build interest early? In other cases they've got a big booth (40' x 70') in the business center and could certainly demonstrate the new engine stuff there:

gdc_epicu8u17.png

Full floorplans here: http://www.gdconf.com/pdf/floorplans/GDC_2012_FloorPlan_02_24_2012.pdf

sp3000

No way. Its gameplay is a relict of the past, that's why CoD is so successful. Changed the formula and it worked.

So you are implying that when something sells better it must automatically be better. I guess by this logic Twilight must be one of the best stories ever because of how much it sells. Oh, and obviously Justin Bieber is one the greatest artists ever because he sells so many songs.

UT3 would have sold very well if it had been released with more polish, and once everyone was as tired of military shooters as they are now.

mhayze

Big booth from Valve - wonder if they will announce / demo a new engine
running HL3
or something. I guess they're mainly there for steam, but we can always dream.

charsace

They would have a very expensive and advanced engine on their hands that wouldn't run on consoles, so they'd have to rely on the PC market to cover the costs of development.

I don't understand why people think this. Epic makes one of the most important game development tools. They've probably known for a while now what console companies are targeting for next gen.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I doubt it'll make gaf gasp. It is well known we have much higher standards than the rest of the industry.

I'll gasp if it looks like this at 60fps:

http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=21358343&postcount=1915

That's what they should be shooting for at launch next gen.

As good as that looks, it's mostly the art direction in the architecture that makes it look impressive. High fantasy in games, at least to me, always looks far more attractive than "realistic" greys-n-browns. I was far more impressed by Alice than BF3, for instance (both on PC).

That's why I can't get excited for the CryEngine demo videos and screens. They display an art direction and sense of creativity that 95% of devs can't even begin to touch.

Obviously this engine is intended for next gen consoles and I assume early dev kits of xbox next may be already out or will be out soon...so Epic is already showing a next generation engine that could be used for the next generation of console games...and I don't think this engine will ever be used for xbox360 or PS3 games...this engine is intended only for next gen hardware...

So you are implying that when something sells better it must automatically be better. I guess by this logic Twilight must be one of the best stories ever because of how much it sells. Oh, and obviously Justin Bieber is one the greatest artists ever because he sells so many songs.

UT3 would have sold very well if it had been released with more polish, and once everyone was as tired of military shooters as they are now.

I loved UT3 and twitch based arena shooters in general, but i disagree with you. The sad truth is that the twitch shooter genre has become niche in the FPS realm. UT3 couldn't even find a larger audience when Black finally released.

Top Bottom