• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Pence (Indiana Governor) signs Religous Freedom Bill into Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

Indeed.

Shit like this is a prime example. No option for Metaphoreus' misunderstandings to be corrected, they only want to correct other people, and still ignores actual issue raised by the poster by dancing like a monkey on the sides of it.

Just don't bother guys, it's a losing scenario.

The problem is that he is a lawyer/wanna be lawyer or something and he looks at laws and interprets them in that basis as opposed to looking at general morality or the argument, also. He has argued for King's side of the ACA lawsuit, which would gut the ACA and hurt people getting subsidies, because of the use of a couple of words and whether they mean one thing or another.

So, it's all pure semantic arguments with him as opposed to looking at the overall effect said law could have on any number of people. So, it doesn't matter if this law hurts LGBT individuals. His goal is to make people understand the law based on words and not intent. Full all what happens to people except those who wrote the law in the first place. Unfortunately, his stance on issues also has a conservative leaning, and those lawyers always like to argue wording and not intent.

Phreaker

This turned into an epic backfire with LGBT now having more rights than they ever had in the state. I think the bigger win though has been the very vocal support from corporations for gay rights and no longer willing to put up with states trying to pass new anti-gay legislation. Being pro-autonomy and pro-equal rights I find myself conflicted over the whole thing.

benjipwns

Banned
I think his point is that the invisible hand of the free market will fix issues. You should boycott and the place goes out of business. See, problem fixed, discrimination gone because people to care of it.

Free market doesn't solve shit because nothing is local anymore and there are always people lining up for an opposite cause.
This really is a misunderstanding of the invisible hand of free markets. It can't "fix issues" of "social justice" ever for the same reason law can't.

Boycotting a pizza place and:
A. It goes out of business.
2. It stays in business.

Which result "fixed the issue"? And which one "fixed the issue" if you own the pizza place? Which one got my pentagram sliced pizza delivered faster?

Unfortunately, you'd have hate groups spreading their money around to support those businesses, regardless of the community's rejection of their discrimination.
How much money exactly do you think hate groups have?

And if they're spending enough to support a local business permanently then the what exactly should "the community" (which presumably, never includes hateful people or bigots or other offensive members of groups like Canadians) do?

Oh, that's right, nice cozy violence. Mmmmmm. Violence.

You connect yourself to the public roads and resources and participate in the social contract.
Monopolies are choice.

This begs the question of whether
Gross.

Armaros

This turned into an epic backfire with LGBT now having more rights than they ever had in the state. I think the bigger win though has been the very vocal support from corporations for gay rights and no longer willing to put up with states trying to pass new anti-gay legislation. Being pro-autonomy and pro-equal rights I find myself conflicted over the whole thing.

The state GOP basically acknowledged that the backlash over this bill, will now cause a new fight over adding a law giving Gays discrimination protection like other States have done.

No, it doesn't. It means that laws enforcing prevailing decency would have (and did) cut against LGBT folks for most of our history. That standard also suggests that we should provide exemptions from serving same-sex weddings based on the religious beliefs of the service-provider, given the poll results I linked to above. If you think there's an argument against that--or if you think that Scalia is wrong when he says laws against homosexuality are A-OK based on public morality--then you agree with me that "prevailing decency" is a bad standard for judging laws.

My confusion was on the word prevailing. I do agree that prevailing decency standards aren't the best standards for creating laws.The only reason I had a hypothetical to pose was because government didn't force conformity due to prevailing decency standards at the time.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Says who? I think the people who sat in at Woolworth's may disagree with this specific and rather narrow conception of freedom. however much it may hold sway in the Federalist Society.

Dude, this thread has become too volatile for my continued participation. Rather than permitting the discussion to devolve into one about me, rather than the topic at hand, I'll be taking my leave from the thread.

Carry on, y'all.

My confusion was on the word prevailing. I do agree that prevailing decency standards aren't the best standards for creating laws.The only reason I had a hypothetical to pose was because government didn't force conformity due to prevailing decency standards at the time.

See above, though I appreciate your clarification.

benjipwns

Banned
Of course there's hypocrisy. How is it not when as you've said, it's a natural reaction to being angry over something that's a free market principle? This isn't about people not saying the free market isn't working. It's about the free market benefiting someone, but when the table flips around, they're angry at the free market approach against them.
Is this like the whole "you can't ever criticize what someone said if you support freedom of speech" argument?

Dude, this thread has become too volatile for my continued participation. Rather than permitting the discussion to devolve into one about me, rather than the topic at hand, I'll be taking my leave from the thread.

Carry on, y'all.
Can't handle some actual debate huh? Run back to the Hertiage Society College and take a nap and cry in the Robber Barons Riches room.

benjipwns

Banned
Says who? I think the people who sat in at Woolworth's may disagree with this specific and rather narrow conception of freedom.
I think we can all agree that Jim Crow laws forcing business owners to only serve people how the law wishes was a bad thing.

But nor do we have to pretend that laws that permit businesses that hold themselves out to the public to refuse service to a segment of a public don't deny a type of freedom to that segment of the public.
How could someone have a "freedom" to force others to serve them? "Freedom is duty" can go over there in the pile with "monopolies are choice" I guess.

ivysaur12

Banned
I don't think Metaphoreous is a bigot or anti-gay. I think reasonable people can disagree on the friction between religious freedoms and civil rights (while I don't extend the same courtesy to people who don't agree with marriage equality).

It's pretty in line with right wing view points on economic freedom and expansive protection of religious rights, and even if you disagree (like I do), I would stress that that doesn't mean someone is inherently bigoted or mean spirited.

Context matters. Piling on Metaphoreous and driving him out of a thread is sort of insane when GAF is enough of an echo chamber as is. It's good to have people you fundamentally disagree with to argue with in a respectful manner. You'll have to challenge your own opinions. Some of those might be strengthened and some of them might shift. But that's the point of any sort of debate on how society should be structured.

Dude Abides

Banned

Why are you directing this at me? I wasn't among the shabby mob insulting you personally. I was simply pointing out that uou were asserting a particular and politicized notion of freedom.

I think we can all agree that Jim Crow laws forcing business owners to only serve them

Who was talking about those?

How could someone have a "freedom" to force others to serve them? "Freedom is duty" can go over there in the pile with "monopolies are choice" I guess.

Who are you talking to? Who said this?

benjipwns

Banned
I don't think Metaphoreous is a bigot or anti-gay. I think reasonable people can disagree on the friction between religious freedoms and civil rights (while I don't extend the same courtesy to people who don't agree with marriage equality).

It's pretty in line with right wing view points on economic freedom and expansive protection of religious rights, and even if you disagree (like I do), I would stress that that doesn't mean someone is inherently bigoted or mean spirited.

Context matters. Piling on Metaphoreous and driving him out of a thread is sort of insane when GAF is enough of an echo chamber as is. It's good to have people you fundamentally disagree with to argue with in a respectful manner. You'll have to challenger your own opinions. Some of those might be strengthened and some of them might shift. But that's the point of any sort of debate on how society should be structured.
You'll make a fine kapo in Meta's camps.

Who was talking about those?
I don't know, somebody might have mentioned segregated lunch counters or something, which were mandated by law usually in the Jim Crow South.

Who are you talking to? Who said this?
Beats me, I thought I read somebody talking about how a "type of freedom is denied" when someone can't violently force others to serve them.

Dude Abides

Banned
I don't know, somebody might have mentioned segregated lunch counters or something, which were mandated by law usually in the Jim Crow South.

if you have evidence that segregation at Woolworth's in Greensboro was a legal requirement, please provide it.

Beats me, I thought I read somebody talking about how a "type of freedom is denied" when someone can't violently force others to serve them.

Guess you read wrong then.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
I don't think Metaphoreous is a bigot or anti-gay.

Thanks, I think. (Or would this count as damnation by faint praise?)

Why are you directing this at me? I wasn't among the shabby mob insulting you personally. I was simply pointing out that uou were asserting a particular and politicized notion of freedom.

I directed it at you (and Fenderputty) precisely because you weren't among the mob, and I am abandoning our ongoing discussion.

Just commenting to clarify that, since you asked.

benjipwns

Banned
if you have evidence that segregation at Woolworth's in Greensboro was a legal requirement, please provide it.
I'd much rather see the evidence that there weren't laws mandating segregation somewhere in the Jim Crow South. Because I just assume all southern businessmen are racists which is why they needed the "freedom" to force others to serve who they wanted served.

#infalliblefreehand
Where and how did it fail?

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
No, it doesn't. It means that laws enforcing prevailing decency would have (and did) cut against LGBT folks for most of our history. That standard also suggests that we should provide exemptions from serving same-sex weddings based on the religious beliefs of the service-provider, given the poll results I linked to above. If you think there's an argument against that--or if you think that Scalia is wrong when he says laws against homosexuality are A-OK based on public morality--then you agree with me that "prevailing decency" is a bad standard for judging laws.
That's a strange way of looking at it. Anti-discrimination laws, when properly enforced, should have nothing to do with "prevailing decency" or transitory moral norms. They should in fact ensure against that. It's the "freedom to discriminate" that leads to the denial of services for certain group of people based on the caprice of the owners.

I'm curious about the religious freedom angle. What is cited as religious justification for refusing service? If this is about 'sincere belief', what exactly is the sincere belief at question here?

Does the restriction have to be present in the text of a holy book or some kind of reference or authority? Does the Bible say you'll burn if you feed gay people? Or are business owners free to come up with whatever interpretations they want?

FiggyCal

Banned
This really is a misunderstanding of the invisible hand of free markets. It can't "fix issues" of "social justice" ever for the same reason law can't.

Boycotting a pizza place and:
A. It goes out of business.
2. It stays in business.

Which result "fixed the issue"? And which one "fixed the issue" if you own the pizza place? Which one got my pentagram sliced pizza delivered faster?

Why couldn't law fix issues of social justice? If the issue was that homophobic restaurant owners wouldn't serve gay customers and the state forced them to by law, then isn't the problem resolved? Like maybe not the underlying problem of homophobia, but it seems preferable to nothing being done in response.

How are these private businesses denying service now when the law that was passed said not until July. How bout you fine them that $600,000 or whatever the Pizza parlor has made.

benjipwns

Banned
Why couldn't law fix issues of social justice? If the issue was that homophobic restaurant owners wouldn't serve gay customers and the state forced them to by law, then isn't the problem resolved? Like maybe not the underlying problem of homophobia, but it seems preferable to nothing being done in response.
Would you consider the state using threats of violence to force you to serve Illinois Nazi's to be social justice?

And you fall into the common fallacy that unless the state use its violence, then nothing ever gets done.

How are these private businesses denying service now when the law that was passed said not until July. How bout you fine them that $600,000 or whatever the Pizza parlor has made.
The pizza place was never denying regular service, just not catering hypothetical gay weddings:
The O'Connor family told ABC 57 news that if a gay couple or a couple belonging to another religion came in to the restaurant to eat, they would never deny them service.

The O'Connors say they just don't agree with gay marriages and wouldn't cater them if asked to.

benjipwns

Banned
It didn't put the pizza place out of business
Except this assumes that there is a singular form of "success" or "justice" that The Market (apparently some kind of singular entity) is supposed to accomplish rather than being a term to short hand all the infinite number of individual transactions engaged in by an infinite number of people.

It also seems to assume that there should be Amazon Prime results. March 31st, story published about pizza place that won't cater gay weddings but will serve anyone. April 1st, bunch of bad yelp reviews, death threats and endless useless commentary on pizza place. April 2nd, pizza place should be closed forever.

ivysaur12

Banned
You don't need to give your money to any particular store, so choosing not to do business with someone whose business practices you disagree with seems right in line with that idea. If those business then either amend their practices or go out of business, so be it. No one is required to succeed.

Unfortunately, and this is where benji will disagree with the rest of GAF, most of those businesses won't go out of business and discriminatory practices due to an innate characteristic will still persist because those with that innate characteristic are in the minority.

April 1st, bunch of bad yelp reviews, death threats and endless useless commentary on pizza place. April 2nd, pizza place should be closed forever.

To be fair, it doesn't seem like there were any actual death threats except one local golf coach angrily tweeting to "burn the place down". Which, like, I mean.

FiggyCal

Banned
Except this assumes that there is a singular form of "success" or "justice" that The Market (apparently some kind of singular entity) is supposed to accomplish rather than being a term to short hand all the infinite number of individual transactions engaged in by an infinite number of people.

It also seems to assume that there should be Amazon Prime results. March 31st, story published about pizza place that won't cater gay weddings but will serve anyone. April 1st, bunch of bad yelp reviews and endless useless commentary on pizza place. April 2nd, pizza place should be closed.

The idea that we should be rooting for these people to go bankrupt seems mean-spirited to begin with.

ivysaur12

Banned
The idea that we should be rooting for these people to go bankrupt seems mean-spirited to begin with.

I don't think there's a difference between "rooting for someone to go bankrupt" and realizing that shitty business practices beget shitty results. Stores aren't required to succeed.

benjipwns

Banned
You don't need to give your money to any particular store, so choosing not to do business with someone whose business practices you disagree with seems right in line with that idea. If those business then either amend their practices or go out of business, so be it. No one is required to succeed.

Unfortunately, and this is where benji will disagree with the rest of GAF, most of those businesses won't go out of business and discriminatory practices due to an innate characteristic will still persist because those with that innate characteristic are in the minority.
Where I disagree is that I don't care if they stay in business or not. But I do prefer information when they do. (And I don't think that discrimination is inherently wrong.)

Where I disagree is a minority (or majority) using the threat of violence to try and suppress information from everyone else and then being encouraged in this by believing that their use of violence has actually made people into better and more tolerant human beings. Violence begets violence. Unthinking reactionary "protest" begets tribal stupidity to where it's now a cultural point of pride to like Chic-k-fila, Duck Dynasty, etc. And not for any actual value of the actual chicken sandwiches or long beards. (see also: Discussion, Gaming.)

Information has a higher chance, in my opinion, of raising understanding. "Because it's illegal" is the grown up version of "because I said so" when a kid asks why something is wrong or why they can't do something.

To be fair, it doesn't seem like there were any actual death threats except one local golf coach angrily tweeting to "burn the place down". Which, like, I mean.
Looks like somebody hasn't been trapped in a dark alley with a bunch of angry golf coaches.

Information has a higher chance, in my opinion, of raising understanding. "Because it's illegal" is the grown up version of "because I said so" when a kid asks why something is wrong or why they can't do something.
Once you have kids, you realize "because I said so" is a perfectly legitimate reason.

FiggyCal

Banned
I don't think there's a difference between "rooting for someone to go bankrupt" and realizing that shitty business practices beget shitty results. Stores aren't required to succeed.

I don't know. I want to say that this is true, but I think it's similar to what happened with Anthony Cumia a while back. Where it's people that were not fans of his brand or probably never heard of him that raged over what he said on twitter and ended up doing the most damage. People that would never buy their pizza in their first place giving them a hard time because it's a trend is rough. On the other hand though, it's hard to feel sympathy for their homophobia. I don't actually know much about this case though; so maybe I'm completely wrong.

Dude Abides

Banned
I'd much rather see the evidence that there weren't laws mandating segregation somewhere in the Jim Crow South. Because I just assume all southern businessmen are racists which is why they needed the "freedom" to force others to serve who they wanted served.

so you have nothing. Stalinists 1, Disciples of Rothbard Zero.

benjipwns

Banned
So you want me to spend time looking up Greensboro town or county ordinances of the 1950s rather than assuming things were likely similar to the two neighboring States in which segregation at lunch counters was mandated at the State level when North Carolina had similar mandatory segregation laws for everything else like schools, buses, railroads, cemeteries, hospitals, etc.?

And as already stated in this thread, despite being an anarcho-capitalist splitter, Rothbard should be a hero to us all because of his effort at spending his entire professional life never having to get up before noon.

ivysaur12

Banned
Where I disagree is that I don't care if they stay in business or not. But I do prefer information when they do. (And I don't think that discrimination is inherently wrong.)

Where I disagree is a minority (or majority) using the threat of violence to try and suppress information from everyone else and then being encouraged in this by believing that their use of violence has actually made people into better and more tolerant human beings. Violence begets violence. Unthinking reactionary "protest" begets tribal stupidity to where it's now a cultural point of pride to like Chic-k-fila, Duck Dynasty, etc. And not for any actual value of the actual chicken sandwiches or long beards. (see also: Discussion, Gaming.)

Looks like somebody hasn't been trapped in a dark alley with a bunch of angry golf coaches.

Well, I think you're equating "protest" and "violence", and the belief that this type of protest is inherently misinformed.

Where you and I will disagree philosophically is on your opinion on discrimination, where I think there is a legitimately interest in curbing discrimination towards minority groups. But, that's for another day.

So you want me to spend time looking up Greensboro town or county ordinances of the 1950s rather than assuming things were likely similar to the two neighboring States in which segregation at lunch counters was mandated at the State level when North Carolina had similar mandatory segregation laws for everything else like schools, buses, railroads, cemeteries, hospitals, etc.?
Is your argument that it was the government that was stopping southern society from trying to integrate itself?
And as already stated in this thread, despite being an anarcho-capitalist splitter, Rothbard should be a hero to us all because of his effort at spending his entire professional life never having to get up before noon.
I carry on his legacy.

Dude Abides

Banned

You made the claim remember? Anyway, i did your homework for you. Woolworth segregation was a matter of company policy, not legal mandate. I guess we'll have to come up with some other way to blame every ill in the universe on the leviathan.

benjipwns

Banned
Well, I think you're equating "protest" and "violence", and the belief that this type of protest is inherently misinformed.
No, no, I have no problem with this protest or the ones for Chickfila and so on. I just don't think because they "fail" (I don't think they do long term) that we then need to turn to violence.

Where you and I will disagree philosophically is on your opinion on discrimination, where I think there is a legitimately interest in curbing discrimination towards minority groups. But, that's for another day.
Let me be clear, I oppose government discrimination and that's why I support the other ten parts of the Civil Rights Act. I oppose discrimination for bigoted reasons because I'm not a bigot (Canadians aren't human beings, the science is clear) but have no illusions and understand that they actually come from a "good" place historically. They're an expression of our fear of those not in the tribe. So I don't find using a very discriminatory tool (the state) to discriminate is a way to curb discrimination.

And I think discrimination in general is good because deciding between things based on their various components is worthwhile.

Is your argument that it was the government that was stopping southern society from trying to integrate itself?
No, but that merely looking at it as government saving the day from the private sector covers up that the States were likely hindering any movement in that direction. Hence why as noted earlier the National Guard and courts were used against State governments, not a private businesses. Woolworth's changed its corporate policy from hands off local franchises following local rules to no-discriminatory lunch counters years before the law changed. And a number of Woolworth's owners participated in protests by doing things like paying their own black employees to sit there.

I think that most businesses would have preferred integration because of costs alone and a general indifference. The pizza place in this case being a good example of a business making clear it won't cater gay weddings but will serve anyone otherwise.

Let's say, just for hypothetical sake, 30% of the south was super racist, 20% was semi-racist but wouldn't beat up anybody or anything like that, 20% didn't care and 20% was anti-racist. Even if you fall into the latter three groups, the authority of the region is in the first group, so the second and third are encouraged to either go along or ignore the first groups deployment of their institutional power.

It's one reason I like to harp on Plessy, the railroad company specifically setup the entire situation including paying the detective to arrest Plessy because they knew he would charge Plessy only on the segregation "crime." As well as helping to pay for the cost of the case appeal. They wanted the laws struck down because they had to have twice as many cars, pure self-interest, nothing noble needed. Meanwhile the enlightened Supreme Court (which was operating on majority opinion in society at the time) upheld them and made separate but "equal" a guiding doctrine.

I find the recent state of the gay rights movement to be similar in this case, as every poll seems to show increasing tolerance of gays in general to near super-super-majorities and gay marriage is moving into majority levels at a rate similar to interracial marriage was, at the same time that a bunch of states have taken rearguard actions elevating bans to the state constitution and trying to pass other laws. I think something similar was the more likely state in the south, that newer generations were more tolerant (thus why anti-discrimination and other laws were even accepted in the first place) and the resistant authority was merely delaying an inevitable situation.

I think the state of race relations in the south and the United States as a whole shows that even though we "solved" it in the 1960s there was still a long ways to go before things like Cliff Huxtable made it okay to be black on TV and Mayor Bloomberg made it okay to be black on the streets of NYC. Oops.

I don't think "public" accommodations laws have done much of anything except hide initial information really, as I'm sure any minority here on GAF can attest. Everybody knows where you'll get treated like shit for your race.

EDIT: Also, let's say for hypothetical sake 10% of the south didn't exist at all because the free market failed learning too me math to much.

Wace

I've read through the whole thread and either my English is worst this time of the year or you're hiding something from me...

I think it's third time I'm asking about: don't you have any kind of Code of Conducting Public Service Business or something? Some law, state or federal, that describes how to service customers, even in vague terms?

How can one be denied for service for being without shoes but not for being gay/catholic/Chinese? I personally understand the difference between born-this-way and fashion-choice, but how do regulations describe it? What are the legal consequences of denying business to the customers?

It also seems to assume that there should be Amazon Prime results. March 31st, story published about pizza place that won't cater gay weddings but will serve anyone. April 1st, bunch of bad yelp reviews, death threats and endless useless commentary on pizza place. April 2nd, pizza place should be closed forever.

That's great, but there are people who spout that "we don't need anti discrimination laws at all because the free market will assure those businesses fail".

And raising 400k in 2 days is pretty Amazon Prime results in the opposite direction.

benjipwns

Banned
That's great, but there are people who spout that "we don't need anti discrimination laws at all because the free market will assure those businesses fail".

And raising 400k in 2 days is pretty Amazon Prime results in the opposite direction.
Guess that just means not catering gay marriages but serving anyone is more popular among the people, democracy at work!

I think it's third time I'm asking about: don't you have any kind of Code of Conducting Public Service Business or something? Some law, state or federal, that describes how to service customers, even in vague terms?
Yes, generally.
How can one be denied for service for being without shoes but not for being gay/catholic/Chinese? I personally understand the difference between born-this-way and fashion-choice, but how do regulations describe it?
I would assume that the former (and no shirts) can be a health code violation related thing. This actually makes me wonder how many cop calls there are a year to enforce "no shirts no shoes" rules.

Notice also, it doesn't say "no pants."
What are the legal consequences of denying business to the customers?
Just like anything else: Warning -> Shot by Cop -> Fine -> Shot by Cop -> Jail

Wace

Just like anything else: Warning -> Shot by Cop -> Fine -> Shot by Cop -> Jail

Thank you, dear sir/madam for this bit of information. So, as long as one doesn't violate the rules, one cannot be denied public service, that is clear.

Now, let's move along to deal-based service. If I arrive at the door of... let's say software developing company and try to make a deal regarding them coding my game idea to life can they legally:
- deny to do that without giving me any reason?
- deny to do that because they don't do business with, e.g., polygamous families?
- deny to do that and reference to RFRA for reasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom