• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mikey Day and Chris Redd join SNL

Status
Not open for further replies.
mikey_day.jpg

A month after news broke that Taran Killam, Jay Pharoah, and Jon Rudnitsky were let go at SNL, the show has reportedly added two new cast members for season 42. According to The Comic’s Comic, Mikey Day and Chris Redd have joined the SNL cast this season. NBC has not yet officially confirmed the news.

In Day’s case, SNL is promoting from within — he’s been on the show’s writing staff since 2013 and frequently collaborated with Taran Killam. Most recently, Day co-wrote Killam’s new movie Brother Nature and appeared as a regular performer on NBC’s variety show Maya & Marty over the summer. As for Redd, the iO and Second City alum most recently costarred in The Lonely Island’s movie Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping and a web series for Above Average’s The Kicker called Branding U.

More here: http://splitsider.com/2016/09/mikey-day-and-chris-redd-have-reportedly-joined-the-snl-cast/

Haven't seen any stuff either of them have done.

Edit: Supposedly only Mikey Day is joining the cast, not Chris Redd. The news story was just updated.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Will the black guy be required to play all the black characters?

Yep. Sasheer will play all Black female characters.

They did Jay pretty dirty last season. Only visible sketches he got were the Ben Carson ones. And their version of Carson is just goofy. I don't know how this other dude picks up the slack for Taran. Now that guy was in everything

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
oh Jay is gone? huh

dont pay attention to this show anymore, beyond the poor writting, the Trump invitation left a bad mark to me

NYR94

I really liked Taran Killam. I don't think he wanted to leave SNL but he is working on bigger things. I think he just directed a movie with Schwarzenegger in it. Jay Pharaoh is talented but I felt he was under utilized on the show. Rudnitsky barely appeared in enough sketches for him to register on my radar last year.

Never heard of the new cast members. The show will have new head writers this year as well, right?

I really liked Taran Killam. I don't think he wanted to leave SNL but he is working on bigger things. I think he just directed a movie with Schwarzenegger in it. Jay Pharaoh is talented but I felt he was under utilized on the show. Rudnitsky barely appeared in enough sketches for him to register on my radar last year.

Never heard of the new cast members. The show will have new head writers this year as well, right?

Yep, Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider. They've written some of the best sketches over the past few years. Really talented duo, so I'm optimistic about next season.

The Beard

Neither guy was very funny imo. Pharaoh had a few good impressions but he failed to do anything even remotely funny with them.

shira

Network variety shows are dead as fuck.

Anyone and their aunt can do the same bits on Youtube

xaosslug

Network variety shows are dead as fuck.

Anyone and their aunt can do the same bits on Youtube

what? Doesn't SNL still get good ratings? LOL They always go through 'down periods' where season after season is trash, and then they get on am 'upswing' where the show is great/talked about and stars are born.

McDougles

I was going to say good for SNL for going after young blood, but Mikey Day is 36 (Taran 34) and, like Taran, was on SNL (six years ago).

WTF

big ander

Redd was hilarious in Popstar—but the news was updated and supposedly the tip was wrong and he is not joining the cast.

Mikey Day was good in an episode of Idiotsitter.

Guess a lot of people missed the Killam and Pharoah news. Surprised anyone is that broken up. Killam was always pretty reliable but never staked an individualistic spot out, and being that Day was one of his main writers the show shouldn't lose much in the trade. Pharoah never found a way to turn his incredible impressions into good sketches.

18-Volt

Definitely seems like they had budget cuts. Fire the highly paid ones, pick up the cheaper newbies.

Mikey Day? Newbie? He's certainly not. He had done many sketches for Jay Leno for a long time, especially his paparazzo character was pretty funny.

He also is probably more expensive than any of current cast members as his resume is bigger than them. He even dated Selma Blair.

kirblar

Mikey Day? Newbie? He's certainly not. He had done many sketches for Jay Leno for a long time, especially his paparazzo character was pretty funny.

He also is probably more expensive than any of current cast members as his resume is bigger than them. He even dated Selma Blair.
He's being promoted up from writer. Less money than 6 year vets.

hydruxo

Taran Killam is too talented to still be doing SNL to be honest. Dude needed to get away from it and start doing some bigger things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom